• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most saddest moments in games you played? *spoilers obviously*

fart town usa

Gold Member
FF7 Aeris beat up and death - I was a happy kid that for the first time was understanding and caring about a game story and characters.... Then Cloud goes mad and beat up Aeris... Later Sephiroth kills her...

I am still trying to recover from that.
I never was all that attached to Aeris until I played Crisis Core, just last year. I thought they did a fantastic job with her in it and the added backstory really made me appreciate her in FF7.

MiguelItUp

Off the top of my head....

Red Dead Redemption
John's ride home after everything is said and done. The music and the cinematic feel really makes it.
The ending of RDR when you know what's waiting for John, and there's no getting around it.

Red Dead Redemption 2
Arthur's exchange with the nun regarding death and how he's scared.
Arthur's last ride. Much like RDR, the music and cinematic feel really makes it

Silent Hill 2
Finally learning about Mary's death.
The water ending.

Death Stranding
The last delivery.
Die-Hardman's speech at the end.

RiME
Finding out the truth about the boy and the man.

Last edited:

SSfox

Won't list all the games but for the most recent one for me is this when Arthur in RDR2 at the end.... I mean you know right... don't force me to say or i'll cry again

200.gif

I MEAN FUCK, i don't feel sad much even when some character die in a VG, because i know it's a game and the character don't exist, but for Arthur i couldn't help i felt some sadness, i mean.... Ok i was really sad, despite the fact that they gave me to play John after. Usually i'm mostly more fan of Japanese games then western games, but man Rockstar is somethng, and for me RDR2 is the best game they ever made.

Now thinking about it i should start another run of RDR2 and then stop playing main story right before Arthur start get sick so i can keep playing just Arthur, i mean i truly love John but damn i miss Arthur lol

Last edited:

Termite

Lots of great ones listed here.

To pick one that hasn't been said - Outer Wilds fucked me up. Mostly the fate of the Nomai. I'd gotten to know them so well, I just wasn't expecting to learn that it had all gone down like... that. The sense of life interrupted mid-flow, glorious plans left ever unfinished, children never to grow up... it was heartbreaking.

Raven117

Gold Member
That's true, Kojima goes totally the opposite way.

The problem I have with Yoko is that he goes too short. You need to infer a lot and sometimes the message is not clear.

I never needed to watch a YT video to fully understand a Kojima game (even MGS2!) but I did with Nier.
True, and then you have Miyazaki at From somewhere in there.

Id much rather something be short and provocitive rather than some lumbering piece of media. But I hear you. Its all about taste.

Iced Arcade

Gears Maria's death might be one of the very few moments in gaming that got me choked up.

edit: Arthur dying in RDR2 was pretty sad actually

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sarah's death in TLOU. Troy Baker was fucking excellent in it.

Nolan North's reaction is well worth it. He had limited knowledge outside his own part before playing it. Sarah and Joel's actors are beside him and don't let on.

Knucklepux

Neo Member
It didn’t hit me at all since I’ve barely got to know her, right at the start. You have to develop a character throughout the game for that stuff to have real impact. Like FF X ending for example.

EDIT: or John Marston and Arthur Morgan....damn, gonna cry now again 😥
I see what you’re saying, but for me, it was Joel’s reaction. Also, the fact that she was just a kid. As a Dad myself, it was just devastating

brian0057

Banned
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (I was tearing up, not gonna lie).
Telltale's The Walking Dead - Season One (The only good season).
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Oh GOD! The feels!).

Desudzer10

I know the game gets a lot of flak for it's story, but I've been a diehard Borderlands fan since the first game day 1. In Borderlands 3 when Maya died it was a little emotional, but the ending when Lilith sacrifices herself got me.

Also MGS3 ending.

small_law

Going back to Rocketown in FFVII after the rocket launches is gut-wrenching. One NPC says something like "what happens to our town now?" It's like seeing an autoplant or steel mill close.

CitizenZ

Banned
There are a couple, but i think it was Bioshock Infinitie not more or less about the game per se, but knowing it was the end of Irrational. I played it about a yr after release when they announced they were closing and listening to about a dozen Ken Levine interviews made me root for him and his teams success. Everything they did is near perfection and moved the needle of the industry that is still stuck in the position they left it.

When your horse died in RDR2 when you had a full bond with it.

Fuck that.

I teared as much for a lot of parts with Arthur Morgan towards the end, but that scene was so short and brutal that it left a lasting impact because I had very very few horses in the game. Mostly kept the same one for a large period of time :/

Nickolaidas

Banned
Ori and the Blind Forest - Kuro - YouTube

For those who need context: The Great Tree of Light is searching for its child of Light - Ori, who gets lost in the forest. It uses a strong Light Burst in order for Ori to see the Light and find its way home. Unfortunately, the Light is lethal for creatures of the night, like Kuro and her children. Her babies are burned alive by the Light (unintentionally), and Kuro comes home to find her family in ashes, except for one baby which is still inside its egg. She swears vengeance on the Tree of Light and begins a chain of events which basically corrupt the entire forest.

FrozenFlame

Most of those that I was going to say was already posted so I'll go with:

Stasis -
Not sure if sad or just fucked up but having the protagonist looking for his family just to find that his wife was being used to breed the monsters and his daughter being ripped apart in front of his eyes was tough.

What Remains of Edith Finch -
While some of the family members deaths didn't had any effect on me, others (like the brother that worked on the cannery) were a direct hit to the feels. And of course, the ending when you're secretly expecting that Edith breaks the curse.

Last edited:
I felt in a espectaculary bad shape when i ended Persona 5 the first time. I don't like games messing with my brain and my feelings very much, i just like to kill, harvest, collect, build etc. but that was pretty bad.

I don't usually fuck games, but when i do it's for a very good reason. I don't feel overwhelmed by games or films. Just sometimes.

And i don't cry, i just go in a mission to obliterate the game that makes feel that way.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cant remember about any old game so il pick the recent one

Gears 5 when you have to pick between Dell and JD

Last edited:
For me personally it was killing the horse I had for over 100 hours in red dead 2. Got the white Arabian the second I could and played the game to keep my horse safe for the rest of it. Got pretty attached to say the least.

MetalRain

When Ellie returns to house and Dina and baby have left and house is empty. Reminded me how I fucked up my last relationship.

SSfox

Then you won't be playing for very long, as the signs are there quite early.
That's until end of Chap4 i think it happen, which is around 25-30 hours at least, add that all the side quests, challenges and other side stuff it can add 100 hours at lest. To infinite hours of riding my horse with Arthur :messenger_beaming:

cireza

Banned
Phantasy Star IV

maxresdefault.jpg

What made it even more difficult is the fact that Alys suffers for quite long before her death. Kid me had a hard time understanding all of this, but when it eventually clicked, it hurt.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I thought Ubisoft and the recent Assassins Creed games (kassandra death, alexios’ mom death, eivor’s whole wolf-kissed story) make strong sad cases.

MrS

Banned
End of Shovel Knight
Ellie playing that song in the Seattle music store in TLOU2
Big reveal of Cliff's identity in Death Stranding

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
All of Shadow of the Colossus. But primarily that one scene.

Ending brings it all back around though.

MagnesG

Banned
Witcher 3 when Geralt finally found Ciri, it's extremely emotional because it's a tie in to the legendary scene from the books when they meet other again, apparently by destiny.

From the books:
"Geralt!" the little girl repeated, clinging to the Witcher's chest.

"You've found me! I knew you would! I always knew! I knew you'd find me!"

"Ciri," said the Witcher.

Yurga could not see his face hidden among the mousy hair. He saw hand in black gloves squeezing the girl's back and shoulders.

"You found me! Oh, Geralt! I was waiting all the time! For so very long…We'll be together now, won't we? Now we'll be together, won't we? Geralt! Forever! Say it!"
"Forever, Ciri."

"It's like they said, Geralt! It's like they said! Am I your destiny? Say it! Am I your destiny?"

Yurga saw the Witcher's eyes. And was very astonished. He heard his wife's soft weeping, felt the trembling of her shoulders. He looked at the Witcher and waited, tensed, for his answer. He knew he would not understand it, but he waited for it. And heard it.

"You're much more than that, Ciri. Much more."

Btw, the show absolutely butchered the scene. Such garbage of a show.

Last edited:

wolywood

The Firewatch prologue hit me harder than expected. A perfect combination of writing and music.

Too bad the rest of the story turned out to be a disappointment.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
When Sarah dies in The Last of Us. The first and only time a game really got some serious emotion out of me. So violent and raw. Well acted.
That was really something

Silent Hill 2 ending was also something that shocked me. The whole thing made me felt bad

Top Bottom