• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most overrated RPG's ?

most overrated?

• Total voters

Jaxcellent

Zelda is no real RPG.. its a action RPG.
Pokemon is wayyyy overrated IMO, i don't like it and I never will.

The best JRPG, Xenogears
Best WRPG, probably Fallout NV.

To be honest, I can't wait for Obsidian to get the budgets they deserve.. if Microsoft playes their cards right, instant classics will be born this gen, games that will be remembered for decenia to come.. exciting times ahead!

kyussman

Another vote for Skyrim here.....played it for the first time earlier in the year.I guess perhaps the praise made more sense when it was released....but it was nothing special to me for sure.

_Ex_

Talking about Legend of Heroes here.

Ah, yeah. Those seem particularly... verbose?

The Falcom action-RPGs I loved, are stuff like Zwei!! 1 & 2, Xanadu Next, Nayuta no Kiseki, Brandish: The Dark Revenant, and Ys Origin, as a few examples. Falcom is at their best with action-RPGs.

NahaNago

Most of those games aren't overrated. They each have their unique greatness about them from those that I have played. At most they are just beloved nostalgia games.

xrnzaaas

For me it's Zelda. I've seen the gameplays from various Zelda games and I was never blown away to want to buy a Nintendo console to play them.

carlosrox

Banned
I'd say a lot of these are great games but still kinda overrated.

Like, FF7 is a good game but FF6 is better in nearly every way yet guess which game gets way more attention?

FF7 and Chrono Trigger get my votes for RPGs that are still really good games but ultimately overrated by the internet.

Witcher 3 and Earthbound I'll give my votes as I don't understand the big deal about either..

Pantz

Final Fantasy IX

It felt really linear to me back then compared to FF7 and FF8. The characters look weird too.

Corgi1985

Banned
Pokemon isn't really an RPG anymore it's more like baby's first interactive walking game that sucks ass.

So i'll go with FF7 which was always bad with an awful villain. The remake is awful too, but it's bad in new, boring ways.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Pokémon is. Mainly for being a series that never evolved. The FIFA of RPGs, it sells but it offers mostly just an updated roster.
FIFA puts more work every year because of real life football than Pokémon ever did or will. It’s an AAA RPG without voice acting for the love of god. Indies RPG have voice acting.

clem84

Gold Member
To me it would be the Fire Emblem franchise. I mean technically they're tactical RPGs but they still have heavy RPG elements. I tried Awakening and the one on Switch and couldn't get into them.

Dragon Quest XI is overrated.

Most of the ones listed were good during their day/time but may not hold up well compared to some games today. I would not say they are overrated but they just didn't age well.

To each their own, but DQXI was less highly rated by many of the ones listed, in a cult favorite kind of way.

To me it would be the Fire Emblem franchise. I mean technically they're tactical RPGs but they still have heavy RPG elements. I tried Awakening and the one on Switch and couldn't get into them.

They started getting really date sim with Awakening.

Last edited:

Mabdia

FF7 Original

The remake kicks it's ass ofcourse

I know that's your opinion about it, but...

team america vomit GIF

Come on!!! This is the only game that we control Celes!!! That alone make this game the best FF ever.

Merkades

The entire Persona/SMT/DDS et cetera series. I think I have 7ish of them and played 4ish, and the best I can say is that I *maybe* like them? They would be better without that awful ass art style and music. If not for that, Elder Scrolls would have been my vote. (and yeah, I am going with entire series rather than individual games).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Overrated can mean a lot of things. I can really like something and still consider it overrated.

Still surprised to see Chrono Trigger or FFVI discussed as overrated :messenger_beaming:

Keihart

I voted for 2 of the 3 winners, i'm preaching with choir it seems, yeah...FF7 it's good but it's elevated to the heavens which i don't get and i was there playing it when it came out too. Skyrim it's a buggy repetitive mess but i guess that mods could sway your perception, i found oblivion better and felt that Skyrim was a huge downgrade even on graphics at the time, not a fan of elder scrolls in general tho.

mcjmetroid

I the fact that you didn't even need to specific which Pokemon game ( They're all the godamn same) means Pokemon as a series should win.

None of the rest of these series make as much money which as low of quality as Pokemon does.

I the fact that you didn't even need to specific which Pokemon game ( They're all the godamn same) means Pokemon as a series should win.

None of the rest of these series make as much money which as low of quality as Pokemon does.

Yeah. Not to mention the unpleasable fanbase, or the cyclical remakes. But it's a perpetual moneymaker.

I wouldn't mind a Pokemon game with Divinity: Original Sin style mechanics to emulate the anime's more creative battles.

Corgi1985

Banned

The games are actually getting worse with each entry too. Sword is the worst "game" of all time. At least big rigs is interesting in how bad it is.

The games are actually getting worse with each entry too. Sword is the worst "game" of all time. At least big rigs is interesting in how bad it is.
Well every pokemon game is easier than the last. Which is why there are many pokemon modded games on PC. So at least the game is redeemable. FF7 on the other hand... I tried to like the remake as well but meh. People complain about walk and talk but never bring up FF7R.

Any of them can quote me and confirm. Unless you are expecting top action combat (Devil May Cry, Nioh). Then the combat becomes on the good side. However i understand not everybody is willing to put up with that many hours till it goes from mediocre to good. Not very rewarding.
If you don't mind going offtopic for one comment to indulge me, then yes please, I'd like to read your thoughts on it.

P.S. I'm neutral on W3's combat because I haven't played it enough to judge it properly.

Mozzarella

If you don't mind going offtopic for one comment to indulge me, then yes please, I'd like to read your thoughts on it.

P.S. I'm neutral on W3's combat because I haven't played it enough to judge it properly.
I was referring to whether people can confirm that they dropped it earlier yea. I do think it gets good because of some factors:
1) First reason is that in both expansions you get new monsters that have new and different attack patterns, unlike your first hours in the game you will be fighting different things from Drowners, Nekkers, Wolfs and Spectres. Among the different things you get enemies that attack in groups like the black spiders and the boars. The boars try to circle you and flank you from behind while the spiders will wait patiently for example if you use quen and then stun you with a whip attack and gang on you for a group attack. they back off and dodge your moves and wait for the moment when you attack one of them so they can attack from behind.
* Things like this is an improvement to combat because it improves; Enemy A.I, More attack patterns that feel different from each other, Harder enemies, and better use of enemy group aggression.
In the second expansion this again happens with more unique and better enemies, for example the spores have a ranged attack that deals good chunk of damage and they plant seeds, so the moment you get close to attack them you have a window to give some hits but if you stay so long you the seeds below them explode nearly one shotting you, on higher difficulty i mean ofc. And to not make my comment very long. Basically a lot more variety of monsters so that is a plus above the main game.
2) Second reason is the second expansions adding a new gameplay tree to give more skill/attacks to the combat, its called mutation, not gonna spoil them but they do give extra flavor, another upgrade imo.
3) Third reason is the better and more aggressive boss fights, they have more attacks and are harder and require some strategy other than just mashing dodge and quen. Also their lore and character is way better than Wild Hunt. More unique and interesting, not all big dudes in frost armor. So there's that.
4) Fourth would be the new mechanics like enchanting but its too costly tbh, its still an upgrade albeit a small one, just like the new weapons they added that had some special effect, very minor upgrades but at least better than generic weapons you get during the main game.
5) One last reason is obviously when you reach expansions you already unlocked a lot of skills and made many potions and decoctions and bombs, so using all these tools should definitely spice thing up more and make combat feel less repetitive and boring.

Those are what i would consider an upgrade to the combat, but those are worth experiencing if you are enjoying the world and the story and found the combat to be boring, the upgrade from the expansions will feel good if you are one of those players. But if you are not interested in the world and the characters then i dont know if its worth for you to keep going until you reach an upgrade that takes it from mediocre to good/decent (I say good but some people may still feel its not good enough, its definitely an upgrade though i can guarantee that)

The reason most players give this game tons of crap for its combat is because: 1- they had wrong expectations about its genre, they maybe thought its like monster hunter or dark souls or nioh type of game but then they got something else. 2- people who never played the previous witcher games before it. 3- people using hyperbole (i dont think its as bad as some people make it out to be) 4- people who bought it for the combat, weren't interested in the story or the world and dropped it early, i dont blame them but their view on the combat is generally extreme and uses a lot of hyperbole given that they didnt really give it a fair chance or given that they compare it with literally different game.
Not going to keep making excuses though, I do agree with some of the issues people point out about the combat and its clear that there was an attempt at improving hence the expansions combat upgrades, so im all for constructive criticism for further improvement in combat in the next game, it definitely needs more work to become something excellent, but i totally disagree with people who say its atrocious or awful or something like unplayable. But thats opinions and all. To me its an average to decent combat system in the main game that improves to good after the expansions.

I was referring to whether people can confirm that they dropped it earlier yea.
Oh shit, I misinterpreted the context of that line, apologies. Still, a huge thanks for literally indulging me; I enjoyed your reply very much.

I assume you wrote most of that off the top of your head? If so, it sounds like W3 left a very strong impression on you!
1) First reason is that in both expansions you get new monsters that have new and different attack patterns, unlike your first hours in the game you will be fighting different things from Drowners, Nekkers, Wolfs and Spectres.
Props to you for this as well as the rest of point 1 that I didn't quote. I've long been of the opinion that a game's combat hinges not just on the player's toolset but also the enemies'. Level design can and does as well but usually requires the player and enemies to be fleshed out first (think of Castlevania and Medusa heads).
2) Second reason is the second expansions adding a new gameplay tree to give more skill/attacks to the combat, its called mutation, not gonna spoil them but they do give extra flavor, another upgrade imo.
Sounds interesting and thanks for being considerate to not spoilt it (personally I'm fine with it, just that others might be reading).
3) Third reason is the better and more aggressive boss fights, they have more attacks and are harder and require some strategy other than just mashing dodge and quen. Also their lore and character is way better than Wild Hunt. More unique and interesting, not all big dudes in frost armor. So there's that
To touch on the point about just mashing dodge and Quen, I know sometimes games get ragged on for having an abusable cheese strategy. However, I think if a game has enough of other interesting approaches then it'd still be totally worth playing.
4) Fourth would be the new mechanics like enchanting but its too costly tbh, its still an upgrade albeit a small one, just like the new weapons they added that had some special effect, very minor upgrades but at least better than generic weapons you get during the main game.
I'll keep the bolded in mind and see how I feel about it when I eventually play through the game, thanks.
5) One last reason is obviously when you reach expansions you already unlocked a lot of skills and made many potions and decoctions and bombs, so using all these tools should definitely spice thing up more and make combat feel less repetitive and boring.
Haha yea I think I unwittingly reiterated this point above about having other non-cheese approaches for the player to entertain themselves with.

Reading your last three paragraphs, I feel like you're someone who genuinely enjoyed W3's combat on its own merits but got weathered and scarred (metaphorically) by all the typical exaggerated comments online.

Funnily enough, isn't Geralt essentially a monster hunter for hire? I remember he got put into Monster Hunter World as a collaboration skin.

Really offtopic thought: I'd love to see more developers collaborate and pool their strengths together beyond mere cosmetics, Metal Gear Rising was like a glimpse (due to the rushed nature) into the power of collaboration, with KojiPro's world-building and PlatinumGames' action expertise.

Top Bottom