• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the most overrated RPG's ?

most overrated?

• Total voters
Definitely. Should have mentioned that. I thought about while playing.

But still there are some others old games I experienced for the first time on the late that left a great impact on me.
Final Fantasy VI (played in 2019) and VII (played around 2010) come to mind.
Both have some outdated aspect but characters, story, and setting are quite memorable. Also their battle system have some interesting aspect.

In the case on Lunar, it doesn't work anymore for me. But sure back in the day must have been awesome
Back in the day it wasn't that great either lol. But the NA box and packaging still make me excited to this day.

NahaNago

Your character levels up by getting more items and more powers like in a traditional RPG and you take the role of Link so I think that Zelda is an RPG.
My zelda knowledge might be a little weak but doesn't he just have powerful weapons he can acquire. Your description of an rpg pretty much makes mega man and devil may cry rpgs as well. Just switch powers with guns and that pretty much covers the other half of all games.

Would be a more interesting thread if people would post their favorite rpg's and most overrated ones in their view.

Favorites:
FF Series - Although jrpgs are very different kind of rpgs
Deus Ex
Baldurs Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Divinity Original Sin 2
Fallout 1 & 2
Eschalon Series
Gothic 1 & 2
Risen 1
Elex
Icewind Dale
Pillars of Eternity
Witcher

Overrated:
TES
Fallout 3,4
Dragon Age

Thats kinda my view on this topic.

cireza

Banned
Definitely. Should have mentioned that. I thought about while playing.

But still there are some others old games I experienced for the first time on the late that left a great impact on me.
Final Fantasy VI (played in 2019) and VII (played around 2010) come to mind.
Both have some outdated aspect but characters, story, and setting are quite memorable. Also their battle system have some interesting aspect.

In the case on Lunar, it doesn't work anymore for me. But sure back in the day must have been awesome
I get the feeling. Discovering these games today, when they don't have all the quality of life features we are used to, makes for a very rough experience. I also find that Silver Star aged pretty badly. Eternal Blue however aged like fine wine, if you ask me (still misses some QoL about inventory and equipment management though). Battles still get repetitive, and you get quite a bit of loading, but overall, presentation, pacing and story were fantastic (talking about the Mega-CD version here).

I cannot play Grandia anymore because of how tedious the game gets, with all the loading and transition screens.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Back in the day it wasn't that great either lol. But the NA box and packaging still make me excited to this day.
Game was a pretty big success in Japan upon release. It was something special I think, even if I get that the game has its flaws.

Personally I don't like both FF VI and VII. Never found these games very good.

I also voted Zelda, as it is definitely an overrated RPG. Just as much as it is an overrated fighting game and an overrated racing sim.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Pokemon - it's basically the same game every time. Just reskinned with updated graphics and more pokemons. I was fine with that as a kid, but now it's gotten boring.

FFVII Remake - the original was awesome, the remake was good but certainly overrated IMO. I liked the hybrid combat and soundtrack, but there was just too much bloat in the game. Most of the side quests were uninteresting, and there were too many moments in the game that were specifically designed to slow you down.

Witcher 3 - I liked Witcher 3, but I didn't think it was some generational defining game that a lot of critics make it out to be. It's a solid 8/10 game in my book.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Lunar Silver Star was released for the Mega-CD in 1992. Try to put that into context. It was spectacular.
For many of us it was the first really “anime” JRPG we’d played, with voice acting and anime FMV and everything. It was even *gasp* not afraid to put anime characters on the front cover for the English release. And the characters had way more personality and charm than any other JRPG I’d played up until that point.

Also the original Sega CD release had a red book audio soundtrack that blew me away at the time. Sadly they went with a completely different MIDI soundtrack for all the other remakes.

Anyway I don’t expect anybody would find Lunar particularly interesting if they played it for the first time today. But it was a great game for its time.

Game was a pretty big success in Japan upon release. It was something special I think, even if I get that the game has its flaws.

Personally I don't like both FF VI and VII. Never found these games very good.

I also voted Zelda, as it is definitely an overrated RPG. Just as much as it is an overrated fighting game and an overrated racing sim.
I voted you up for the Lunar comment, but then that Zelda edit stabbed me in the back lol. Zelda is one of my favorites ever! But yeah, that's the whole point of this thread. I agree with you on FFVII too.

I kinda liked FFVIII though.

cireza

Banned
I voted you up for the Lunar comment, but then that Zelda edit stabbed me in the back lol. Zelda is one of my favorites ever! But yeah, that's the whole point of this thread. I agree with you on FFVII too.

I kinda liked FFVIII though.
I was making a joke about Zelda, as I don't really consider the series RPGs, but rather Adventure games. Not shitting on the games ^^

And I loved FF VIII, it was a much better game than VII in my opinion.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
VII Remake. Good game but it certainly didn't capture the magic of the previous game (which honestly wasn't going to possible because a lot of that is nostalgia pumping up the original).

In terms of unqualified overrated: Breath of the Wild.

Shut0wen

I have to go with skyrim just purely because it isnt an rpg, side quests are dog shit, main quest is boring, combat is incredibly boring and it gets to a point where it becomes unbelievably easy, even with mods in the game its still aload of shit

Great Hair

Banned
eradUYJ.png

One of the worst RPGs of all time

johntown

Banned
Dragon Quest XI is overrated.

Most of the ones listed were good during their day/time but may not hold up well compared to some games today. I would not say they are overrated but they just didn't age well.

iQuasarLV

FF 15.

Sorry to say, low magic fantasy is NOT SqureEnix's strengths. This game showed it.

10 years and a couple development reboots later this game just lost its vision. They had to release something, anything, and get it out there to sell.
  • What ultimately emerged was a pale husk of a game the Final Fantasy Universe would call acceptable.
  • Brandon Sanderson's essay on modern fantasy rules needs to be read by the directorial team at SE
  • Breaking up a product's lore around multiple purchases of media is a fucking insult and travesty.
  • Just spitting fan service into a product to say, " we have it in there." is a downright dick punch.
I could go on, but in my mind this is not a Final Fantasy # installment. Too much was removed for the sake of catering to the contemporaneous generation. It was a bad move by alienating the very fan base that got you where you are. 10 years of development and it was clear there was a divide on what would pass and what was possibly, almost, another Star Citizen in the making.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FF 15.

Sorry to say, low magic fantasy is NOT SqureEnix's strengths. This game showed it.

10 years and a couple development reboots later this game just lost its vision. They had to release something, anything, and get it out there to sell.
  • What ultimately emerged was a pale husk of a game the Final Fantasy Universe would call acceptable.
  • Brandon Sanderson's essay on modern fantasy rules needs to be read by the directorial team at SE
  • Breaking up a product's lore around multiple purchases of media is a fucking insult and travesty.
  • Just spitting fan service into a product to say, " we have it in there." is a downright dick punch.
I could go on, but in my mind this is not a Final Fantasy # installment. Too much was removed for the sake of catering to the contemporaneous generation. It was a bad move by alienating the very fan base that got you where you are. 10 years of development and it was clear there was a divide on what would pass and what was possibly, almost, another Star Citizen in the making.
Was it really overrated though? Everything you said seems to be widely acknowledged by the fan base. Everybody except D.Final at least

small_law

hmmm.png

I've tried playing the Mass Effect series on like four separate occasions and just don't seem to be able to play for more than two sessions. I've thought about it, and honestly, it might be the gameplay for me. It just doesn't feel that great, pretty boring cover-based shooting. I think a lot of people give the series more leeway because of the story, but that just wasn't "grabbing" me either, but I think mostly the lackluster gameplay is the reason I just can't get into it.
People tend to forget that the third game's original ending was so terrible that, for the first time ever complaints about a video game actually gained widespread attention on social media. It definitely had clunky combat, ugly character models, etc., I agree, but it infamously made history in other ways no one seems to remember.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Persona, Shin Megami Tensei.
I agree. I've played a few and they're cool but it's not for everyone, the whole life sim/dungeon crawler.

I'd say FF7, it's great but even as someone who was all about JRPGs back then, it was never more than a really good JRPG. I think FF6 is tons better in terms of story. Battle system is essentially the same as far as I know.

Also, Paper Mario, the whole series. Was playing the N64 one a few weeks back, fun but nothing special. TTYD is cool but I actually got bored with it and never finished it. I really dislike the dialogue in the games and how long some scenes are.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
Witcher 3 and BOTW.

Witcher 3 combat engine is crap. Any game that allows you to dodge infinitely has fundamental problems. Otherwise why allow the player to do that. Weapons have no heft and you don't feel the contact as a result.

BOTW. No dungeons...no challenge. Mob A.I is rubbish. Beautiful game to explore though.

Mabdia

Skyrim boring as fuck.
Ff7 amazing
Ff7 remake is overrated shit
I totally agree. Never Played Skyim and never will. That's why I can't say anything about it.

But that reboot of FFVII is a bad and sad joke. I'm trying to give it a sho, but every minute I play it, it remembers me how much this games sucks.

Come on! Why would Cloud and all lose theirs time killing super rats and looking for cats? 3 hours in the re and all I have to do in the fights is dodge and smash the square button. Some times recover HP after some fights. And that's all. Damn!!! What a lose opportunity.

Zelda isn't a RPG.

Elder Scrolls and The Witcher 3 for me. The Witcher 3 is great storytelling and lore but the actual gameplay and controls I did not like at all and everybody drools over it 24/7. Elder Scrolls (and especially Skyrim) are also incredibly boring to me with terrible gameplay, boring stories, and few redeeming qualities.

jaysius

Banned
Mass Effect 2 and 3 these are barely RPGs they’re just some poorly done third person shooters with super basic stories that people glomed onto because I really don’t know why. The worst sci-fi movie, hell even trash from the Syfy channel has a better story than this series. It’s all been done elsewhere and better.

I mean overrated and underrated as concepts are just purely subjective statements, and they're based on our interpretation of not only "what is the proper rating for this game", but also "what do I perceive as the mainstream rating the game is currently getting". So basically this thread is just asking "which popular RPG do you dislike". Personally every game on your list that I've played (Pokemon, Oblivion, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Zelda (which isn't an RPG)) I've loved and I can't comment on the ones I haven't played. If I had to say a game that I think is "overrated" I'd probably say Monster Hunter: World, but I don't particularly like calling games overrated or underrated because it just implies that there is some objective "correct" rating that a game deserves, and that other people are wrong for liking or disliking said game

Fbh

For me definitely Skyrim.

The main story is bad.
Combat is pretty bad, depending on which style you choose it can be anything from terrible (melee) to just average (ranged).
Annoying level scaling really hurts the sense of progression
Boring loot system where crafting is king means you mostly get junk as a reward for exploring and completing quests.
Waypoint based "exploration".

I mean, to be fair even with all its issues it's still a fun game. But for what is probably one of the most famous and best selling RPG's of all time you'd expect it to be much better.
The internet is full of memes like "haha I just got a bunch of new games but I somehow ended up starting my 30th skyrim playthrough instead", which I've never been able to relate with. I played it once and had my fun with it but even just looking at RPG's there's so many other games I'd rather replay instead.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

Was it really overrated though? Everything you said seems to be widely acknowledged by the fan base. Everybody except D.Final at least
If you ask anyone that reviewed it for a paycheck. Yes, it is overrated compared to their praising reviews.

I've been shamed for claiming FF15 was a bad game, irregardless that I am old and know what Square / SquareEnix is capable of producing; and if you ask anyone under the age of 25 that played FF15 and likes RPGs its on their top 5 list because they don't know better.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Undertale

Hipster sh*t
Lol seriously. Like some hipster who grew up playing JRPGs decided to make his own JRPG that’s super clever and meta and subverts expectations.

No thanks. I’d rather play a JRPG that actually wants to be a good JRPG rather than one that keeps trying to prove how clever it is.

Mozzarella

I wanted to vote for Skyrim at some point but people are hating it too much here so i voted for Oblivion which i consider the worse Elder Scrolls game.
I understand many of the complaints about Skyrim but i always thought its pretty obvious why many people find the game so appealing to play, now it feels weird how many people fail to understand what makes Skyrim loved and played till this day. Skyrim has many issues but there are certain things that Skyrim did that only Skyrim managed to do successfully so theres that.

Other than my votes i would add: Persona 5, Dragon Age Inquisition

Edit: Also am i wrong to assume that people calling Witcher 3 combat horrible, dropped the game early? in case they continued playing by the time you reach the expansions the combat definitely becomes good, at least for the open world rpg genre. Any of them can quote me and confirm. Unless you are expecting top action combat (Devil May Cry, Nioh). Then the combat becomes on the good side. However i understand not everybody is willing to put up with that many hours till it goes from mediocre to good. Not very rewarding.

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
Kind of a weird roster to have specific titles for one franchise and then generalize others (like comparing FF7 to all of Pokémon rather than, say, Pokémon Red Blue and Yellow)
That's because it's a "It's time to shit on SquareSoft" poll

Daymos

All the games in the poll are good.. except.. I have to admit I kept falling asleep while playing Lunar and never finished it. I don't think it was that highly rated though.

Nice music and cut scenes but pretty generic battles. I ended up putting it on auto battle alot, this the falling asleep part.

Mozzarella

Kind of a weird roster to have specific titles for one franchise and then generalize others (like comparing FF7 to all of Pokémon rather than, say, Pokémon Red Blue and Yellow)
I agree but you also have to consider popularity, most of the game getting a lot of votes are actually popular games people played, the lower votes are niche titles with low player base, so the results dont indicate anything regarding quality "overrated-underrated". The results basically shows us the most popular titles that have the most haters. "Haters not used to imply bad intentions btw"

Top Bottom