• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the criteria to be a part of the "PC Master Race"? Prebuilt vs Custom / $600 vs $6000

Joke thread.

idk even know where to start with this one,
if you solely play on PC you are a PC gamer but a master you are not

Do we determine someone being a "PC master" base on their income in buying a Prebuilt gaming PC from Alienware or MSI?
Or are they sworn into the race by their level of custom PC build?

what makes someone a PCMR and is the term just another type of fanboyism?

Do you game on PC and look down on console versions of games? Then you're PCMR. Otherwise, you're just a PC Gamer.

A year ago I had an old i7 CPU and a 1070 ti, now I have a 5900X CPU and 3080 FE. I don't think my status changed. I still game on PS5 more than my PC, at least have been the last 6 weeks anyway

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Enjoying what PC gaming offers (even if you don't enjoy it at its best and priciest) is all it takes and maybe also understanding why it's so much better than what console plebs are spoonfed by the first parties on all fronts, from actual hardware and games to their paid services, but that comes naturally after some time anyway :)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A respectable member of the PCMR should always look down on the console peasants, laughing at their sub-human frame rates and dynamic* resolutions.

You should also spend +3000$ on your system to then spend more time posting PCMR memes than actually playing games. Asserting dominance is always more important than having fun.

*540p

theHFIC

Be willing to invest hundreds of dollars at a time on hardware upgrades for games that get much better support on consoles.

...And then once every few years, a game that performs AND plays better on PC is released and you get to spend the time between these releases trying to justify the now thousands you have spent by talking down to anyone who enjoys the game on something different than you use.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Basically you can get a decent pc for around $1,200 that should last you 4 - 5 years.

the issue comes when you get sliderphoria..
Which is extreme anxiety when you play a game that’s not with all the settings at max. Then you are spending $1,200 a year in upgrades.

which is a super dumb part of pc gaming .. gamers will also complain if the highest settings cannot be hit with current hardware at launch.

Last edited:

Codes 208

If you’re gatekeeping other fans to show off your own “superior” loyalty than you’re a PC mustard race.

mid you play games on pc and enjoy them while not caring about the semantics of it, then you’re a gamer.

I like to think of myself as the latter.

Reactions: MrS

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
7b2.jpg

Do you game on PC and look down on console versions of games? Then you're PCMR. Otherwise, you're just a PC Gamer.

A year ago I had an old i7 CPU and a 1070 ti, now I have a 5900X CPU and 3080 FE. I don't think my status changed. I still game on PS5 more than my PC, at least have been the last 6 weeks anyway
OK you are pcmr. How did you get both a 3080 and a ps5. I'm not jealous at all... Sure...

Meanwhile my launch ps4 sounds like it's going to launch off to the moon and my 2060 is working overtime.

Lister

Banned
Be willing to invest hundreds of dollars at a time on hardware upgrades for games that get much better support on consoles.

...And then once every few years, a game that performs AND plays better on PC is released and you get to spend the time between these releases trying to justify the now thousands you have spent by talking down to anyone who enjoys the game on something different than you use.

Uhm... what? Most games look and perform better on PC. That's been the case for well over a decade now.

GreatnessRD

When you start calling the console players a peasant.

I game on PC and on console, but watching the folks on the internet call console exclusive players peasants is absurdly funny to me. Especially when some of these PCMR folks are running hardware from 15 years ago.

Imagine being so insecure you spend more time worrying about what everyone else is doing instead of just enjoying your hobby.

Aidah

You don't even have to own a gaming PC to be PCMR. Likewise, you could own a gaming PC and still not be PCMR. You just gotta not have peasant thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:

theHFIC

Uhm... what? Most games look and perform better on PC. That's been the case for well over a decade now.
There are some decent PC versions of games out there built from the ground up for it (Cyberpunk). But for every decent PC port 3 or 4 mediocre from-console ports are brought into the world.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Just play PC games bro
This, it's a tongue in cheek term, it just means PC is your preferred platform and maybe you're a little snooty about it. A lot of PC gamers don't have super high end machines.

Last edited:

Lister

Banned
There are some decent PC versions of games out there built from the ground up for it (Cyberpunk). But for every decent PC port 3 or 4 mediocre from-console ports are brought into the world.

Sure, but thats the thing. Even mediocre pc ports have consistently been way better than the console versions.

Like literally they would have to disastrous trous port to be as bad as the console versions. They exist but they are really far between. Id say bad pc to console ports are much more numerous.

Last edited:
You need an insane amount of rgb lights in your case. Preferably different colors and they have to change colors so that every time you look at the case you get an epileptic attack.
And also m/kb have to be rgb. That's the true spirit of pcmr.

Lanrutcon

To truly be part of the PC master race you must be able to produce 10 bags of the purest salt, harvested from the tears of console gamers as they behold the majesty of true gaming. Bonus points if the bags are made from the stitched flesh of mobile gamers. And cake, bring cake. Everyone loves cake.

See, this is a PCMR post.

That statement is sort of true, in a very broad and absolutist sense, but it's much more accurate to say most games can look and perform better on PC, if you're willing to pay exponentially more for it.

That for me is what seperates a PC Gamer from the PCMR, the lack of nuance, context or self awareness for the fact they're paying through the nose for relatively little gain compared to the far greater value for money consoles provide.

PCMR knobs treat all PC gaming as if it's nothing but that ultra high end, extremely expensive and always using the newest, most powerful components tiny minority, so in their mind, all PC gamers always have the best version of games.

The PCMR doesn't just express contempt for dirty console peasants, but for the overwhelming majority of PC players too, who are of course usually gaming on the equivelant to a toaster in comparison, and basically don't exist in their minds.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
PCMR is just a "blind/ignorant" fanboy.
See, this is a PCMR post.

That statement is sort of true, in a very broad and absolutist sense, but it's much more accurate to say most games can look and perform better on PC, if you're willing to pay exponentially more for it.

That for me is what seperates a PC Gamer from the PCMR, the lack of nuance, context or self awareness for the fact they're paying through the nose for relatively little gain compared to the far greater value for money consoles provide.

PCMR knobs treat all PC gaming as if it's nothing but that ultra high end, extremely expensive and always using the newest, most powerful components tiny minority, so in their mind, all PC gamers always have the best version of games.

The PCMR doesn't just express contempt for dirty console peasants, but for the overwhelming majority of PC players too, who are of course usually gaming on the equivelant to a toaster in comparison, and basically don't exist in their minds.
No and your post is an example of dirty peasant post if you really think pc gaming is only about power.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
the fact they're paying through the nose for relatively little gain compared to the far greater value for money consoles provide.
Paid online and 80€ games doesn't sound like a lot of value for the price.

And "very little" gain? Come on.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

I don't think there are requirements beyond posting PC Master race things in internet forums... it's more a stance than a specific configuration.

Obviously if you run all the latest stuff all the time you have more creds, but on internet nobody can see it.
No, ots specs related. I would not consider myself part of that group with a 1050, 8gb ram.....i am part cause i use 3080 32gb ram, its the top tier and minority.

Boneless

I am a veteran of the PC masterrace. I have had and still have consoles, and while I appreciate them for what they are, there is no question of the superiority of the PC.

There are soooo many other benefits to the PC experience over just power and gaming, recording music, for example. As a comprehensive long term investment it's just superior on so many fronts.

Top Bottom