• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the actual chances Sony will support VRR over HDMI 2.0?

AKA FreeSync displays. It’s technically an AMD feature to do VRR over HDMI 2.0, and since Sony is using AMD hardware and have been working closely with AMD, it would be stupid not to support the many FreeSync compatible displays out there

Microsoft has supported freesync since XBox One.

PS: I love my 4K monitor and I don’t wanna buy an HDMI 2.1 screen.

Zero. Only Samsung gave a shit and enabled 4K 120hz VRR over HDMI 2.0
Doesn't even have to be 120Hz. My 4K monitor has a 40-60Hz VRR window. If a game were to drop from 60 to say 55 or 48, I'd still be covered. As I said before, AMD has supported FreeSync over HDMI for ages now and so does XBox since the XBox One.

Sony doesn't require HDMI 2.1 for 120Hz gameplay and they don't require any special TV for HDR, so why would they require 2.1 for FreeSync support?

Not sure if Freesync can be enabled just by a few tweaks on the software side. Even if it was, don't think Sony would care to implement. Lack of VRR and 1440p support on PS5 really bothers me, I don't wanna buy a new 2.1 display I'm happy with my monitor and TV.

How hard can it be to add those features, especially when you advertised your device as VRR capable from the git-go.

I feel the lack of VRR and FidelityFX (AMD DLSS equivalent) is due to Sony not waiting for final RDNA2 architecture like MS did.

I think Sony is trying to develop their own VRR solution and that is why we are 7 months after launch with it not added. Some sort of DLSS will likely be their own custom implementation as well and take time.

Last edited:
Not sure if Freesync can be enabled just by a few tweaks on the software side. Even if it was, don't think Sony would care to implement. Lack of VRR and 1440p support on PS5 really bothers me, I don't wanna buy a new 2.1 display I'm happy with my monitor and TV.

How hard can it be to add those features, especially when you advertised your device as VRR capable from the git-go.
I dunno, AMD GPUs have had FreeSync for many many years now. Sony has had lots of help from AMD building their machine, so why would this be any different?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I dunno, AMD GPUs have had FreeSync for many many years now. Sony has had lots of help from AMD building their machine, so why would this be any different?
Over 3 years ago AMD claimed they’d be adding support for HDMI 2.1 VRR to existing (HDMI 2.0) Radeon GPUs via driver update. Still hasn’t happened. I expect nothing.

Imtjnotu

I feel the lack of VRR and FidelityFX (AMD DLSS equivalent) is due to Sony not waiting for final RDNA2 architecture like MS did.

I think Sony is trying to develop their own VRR solution and that is why we are 7 months after launch with it not added. Some sort of DLSS will likely be their own custom implementation as well and take time.
Not this shit again.

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

Over 3 years ago AMD claimed they’d be adding support for HDMI 2.1 VRR to existing (HDMI 2.0) Radeon GPUs via driver update. Still hasn’t happened. I expect nothing.

I'm not asking for HDMI 2.1 VRR though. I'm simply asking for the technology that AMD has had for many many years where they're able to do VRR over HDMI on FreeSync enabled displays. That's all I want. Why does it have to be 2.1 when it already works on 2.0?

Not this shit again.

Ashley Olsen Reaction GIF by Filmeditor

So why are they so far behind then? I’m just using what we know to understand the fact they are extremely late on both fronts.

VRR is already on Series X since launch and AMD DLSS was just announced to be coming to Series X/S soon.

Feel free to provide your feelings as to why Sony is so late on both fronts.

We know for a fact that Series X/S is the only one with full RDNA2. That’s fact. So I’m just using facts to help theorize why Sony is 7 months late and counting on a feature that was at launch for the competition with no announcement of a DLSS equivalent.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

So why are they so far behind then? I’m just using what we know to understand the fact they are extremely late on both fronts.

VRR is already on Series X since launch and AMD DLSS was just announced to be coming to Series X/S soon.

Feel free to provide your feelings as to why Sony is so late on both fronts.

We know for a fact that Series X/S is the only one with full RDNA2. That’s fact. So I’m just using facts to help theorize why Sony is 7 months late and counting on a feature that was at launch for the competition with no announcement of a DLSS equivalent.
PS5 uses RDNA2 already stop this lol

Xbox just supports the suite of software where Sony uses their own API.

Everyone is slow to getting VRR stable right now. LG doesn't even have a fully functional one on its oleds and probably won't till next year with a hardware revision of the current voltage issues VRR causes on their sets.

PS5 uses RDNA2 already stop this lol

Xbox just supports the suite of software where Sony uses their own API.

Everyone is slow to getting VRR stable right now. LG doesn't even have a fully functional one on its oleds and probably won't till next year with a hardware revision of the current voltage issues VRR causes on their sets.

Can you point me to the details about the PS5 having full RDNA2 chipsets?

I literally said that Sony is using their own implementations which you just confirmed as well. However chipset wise Sony does not have the latest RDNA2 versions and is a mix of the older chip with their own custom work. So far that option has only led to nothing. No VRR and no DLSS equivalent in sight.

I guess Microsoft and AMD lied? Would love some receipts.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I literally said that Sony is using their own implementations which you just confirmed as well. However chipset wise Sony does not have the latest RDNA2 versions and is a mix of the older chip with their own custom work. So far that option has only led to nothing. No VRR and no DLSS equivalent in sight.

Where are you pulling this info from please help me explain what twitter you got this shit from 😂

Armorian

Banned

Having or not having full\latest\final RDNA 2 design doesn't have anything to do with both vrr and fsr support. fsr works even on gcn (Polaris, x1x-ps4 pro level) and PS5 has hardware HDMI 2.1 so Sony as always is just behind in software.

Jigga117

I'm not asking for HDMI 2.1 VRR though. I'm simply asking for the technology that AMD has had for many many years where they're able to do VRR over HDMI on FreeSync enabled displays. That's all I want. Why does it have to be 2.1 when it already works on 2.0?
Because VRR is a standard feature of 2.1. Also asking for Freesync doesn't help if the tv itself doesn't have Freesync. You can't just have Freesync on the Xbox or PS5 when the display itself has to support it like the LG 2020 and 2021 models. VRR is supposed to work on all HDMI 2.1 displays but Sony can't seem to get that shit right for the last 2 years now for while other companies have been doing it for 3 years. Same when the LG C9s got Gsync support .

Because VRR is a standard feature of 2.1. Also asking for Freesync doesn't help if the tv itself doesn't have Freesync. You can't just have Freesync on the Xbox or PS5 when the display itself has to support it like the LG 2020 and 2021 models. VRR is supposed to work on all HDMI 2.1 displays but Sony can't seem to get that shit right for the last 2 years now for while other companies have been doing it for 3 years. Same when the LG C9s got Gsync support .
I have several FreeSync compatible displays and I used to use FreeSync on my AMD PC. I miss that feature and it makes me sad that Sony might just screw over every TV and Monitor owner that has FreeSync and force them to buy a brand new TV in order to enjoy this feature.

Stick to being a silent protagonist Gordon

Jigga117

That has nothing to do with RDNA 2, and the 32gb limit is a software cap. Just needs a firmware update
Where is this stated? Link? Why would you need to cap when everyone a year before had no understanding about the difference from 48Gbps and 40Gbps but Sony chose to cap on top of having issues with both tv and consoles with VRR. To what end for the cap? Why did they cap it?

Last edited:
Where is this stated? Link? that is it is a sofware cap for to what end would you need to cap whe everyone a year before had no understanding about the difference from 48Gbps and 40Gbps but Sony chose to cap on top of having issues with both tv and consoles with VRR. To what end for the cap? Why did they cap it?

If it was only physically capable of 32GB then it wouldn't be HDMI 2.1 compliant

Maybe they're still working on things in the background. Or they're just waiting for the content. No idea. They've done this before i.e PS4 and HDR support

Last edited:

Genx3

How did XB1X have VRR enabled last gen then?

Fidelity FX will be open source. I fully expect PS5 to support it.

Genx3

What are the actual chances Sony will support VRR?
Sony won't support it on PS5 until their TV's finally support it.
I doubt Sony wants to undermine their TV business by having VRR on their PS5 but no TV's to support it.
PS5 owners are going to be like my console supports VRR so my TV should as well, let me buy that LG, Sammy, Vizio TV that supports VRR.

Jigga117

If it was only physically capable of 32GB then it wouldn't be HDMI 2.1 compliant

Maybe they're still working on things in the background. Or they're just waiting for the content. No idea. They've done this before i.e PS4 and HDR support
HDR came in the middle of the generation it wasn't a thing in 2012 and has nothing to do with why they went 32Gbps and Xbox Surround sound receivers and displays all have 40Gbps to push 4k@120hz HDR 444 10bit. 40Gbps is known that is all thats needed for 10bit displays because they don't see 12 bit displays being a standard anytime soon. So it doesn't make sense why the rest of the industry knew what the max is but Sony just conveniently chose 32Gbps. Again where is your evidence about them increasing the bandwidth for the port? Because it makes no sense why they even went to 32Gbps while they bragged about VRR, 4k@120 and 8k on the box at that.

Also the content is already here so don't see what they are waiting on.

Last edited:
HDR came in the middle of the generation it wasn't a thing in 2012 and has nothing to do with why they went 32Gbps and Xbox Surround sound receivers and displays all have 40Gbps to push 4k@120hz HDR 444 10bit. 40Gbps is known that is all thats needed for 10bit displays because they don't see 12 bit displays being a standard anytime soon. So it doesn't make sense why the rest of the industry knew what the max is but Sony just conveniently chose 32Gbps. Again where is your evidence about them increasing the bandwidth for the port? Because it makes no sense why they even went to 32Gbps while they bragged about VRR, 4k@120 and 8k on the box at that.

Maybe they'll never update the firmware to increase bandwidth

Doesn't change the fact that is capable of 48gbs just like to the Xbox Series X/S, or the fact that they've updated hdmi firmware in the past to support other things

That's your evidence

Last edited:

Jigga117

Maybe they'll never update the firmware to increase bandwidth

Doesn't change the fact that is capable of 48gbs just like to the Xbox Series X/S, or the fact that they've updated hdmi firmware in the past to support other things

That's your evidence
That isn't evidence just because you typed that :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I mean don't continue to the conversation you jumped in to say all this if you don't have direct information stating why the state of the PS5 is 32Gbps and now claim might just see an increase for Xbox systems now as well. LG stated the reason why they only went with 40Gbps on the 2020 OLED series is because the extra bandwidth was used for picture quality which no 10 bit displays NEEDS 48Gbps when it only benefits the capability to do 4k@120hz 12 bit 444.

That isn't evidence just because you typed that :messenger_tears_of_joy:. I mean don't continue to the conversation you jumped in to say all this if you don't have direct information stating why the state of the PS5 is 32Gbps and now claim might just see an increase for Xbox systems now as well. LG stated the reason why they only went with 40Gbps on the 2020 OLED series is because the extra bandwidth was used for picture quality which no 10 bit displays NEEDS 48Gbps when it only benefits the capability to do 4k@120hz 12 bit 444.

It's not evidence because I typed it

It's evidence because it's factual

Jeez, think a little

Jigga117

It's not evidence because I typed it

It's evidence because it's factual

Jeez, think a little
Brah,

Your the one making claims that I have challenged you on to present this is the case and basically your making it up as you go. I have pointed out the industry trends and capabilities and all you have done was respond in a debate with nothing to point at other than what your typing. Keep it 100 if you don't know then you don't know but don't move from one claim about it being updated and then try and support that claim that all of a sudden it is possible the Xbox Series X/S is could get a bump to 48Gbps. The bandwidth just like I pointed out with the LG models have other capability benefits beyond resolution and bit. I suspect(notice I am not making it sound like this is fact) that the bandwidth loss has been utilized for Tempest 3d.

Brah,

Your the one making claims that I have challenged you on to present this is the case and basically your making it up as you go. I have pointed out the industry trends and capabilities and all you have done was respond in a debate with nothing to point at other than what your typing. Keep it 100 if you don't know then you don't know but don't move from one claim about it being updated and then try and support that claim that all of a sudden it is possible the Xbox Series X/S is could get a bump to 48Gbps. The bandwidth just like I pointed out with the LG models have other capability benefits beyond resolution and bit. I suspect(notice I am not making it sound like this is fact) that the bandwidth loss has been utilized for Tempest 3d.

Mate, I don't know how to make this any clearer for you

The PS5 is marketed as HDMI 2.1. It's marketed as being capable of 8K 60Hz. Sony have stated they're going to release firmware updates for 8K support when content is available

If the PS5 physically cannot output the required bandwidth for that, then they're lying, at that point its on you to prove this, and hey if you do, go file a lawsuit

I never said the Xbox would get a bump to 48GB. Please try to read

Last edited:

SirVoltus

I think, no chances.They are struggling to sell their ps5 branded new tvs with half functionally hdmi 2.1 feature, please understand.
Ms tries to sell to people with various kind of display feature.. including those 1440p markets..
Sony will kill slowly their tvs department to do so, while ms does not kill any department at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom