• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some underrated games?

SinDelta

I've seen Lost Odyssey mentioned here and there for RPGs as a "lost" Final Fantasy.

For RTS, Stronghold as a castle builder has a following sure, but I never got the impression it had widespread success, only a bunch of terrible sequels that have yet to live up to the original 2 games.

Pirates: The Legend of Black Kat - Assassins Creed: Black Flag 5 years before the Assassins Creed franchise was even a thing.

intbal

You just want any old underrated game response?

Ok.

Galleon
galleonn.png

It had a strange control scheme. The graphics were bad. It had no marketing budget behind it.
But it's a fun adventure with amusing characters.
And Captain Rhama was the original Parkour Pirate, long before any Assassins Creed.

You just want any old underrated game response?

Ok.

Galleon
galleonn.png

It had a strange control scheme. The graphics were bad. It had no marketing budget behind it.
But it's a fun adventure with amusing characters.
And Captain Rhama was the original Parkour Pirate, long before any Assassins Creed.
Amazing game and the sound and voice acting was brilliant. Such a cool game

Some of my underrated or overlooked games would be

Alien Resurrection - PS

Exhumed/Powerslave - Saturn

Ninja Blade - XBox 360

Sega GT 2002 - XBox

Kung Fu Choas - XBox

This Is Football 2003 - PS2

Olympic Soccer - PS/Saturn

Blood 2 - PC

Dracula Unleashed - PC/Mega CD

Pen Pen Triicelon - DC

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Ryse
The Order 1886
Quantum Break
Days Gone
Until Dawn
Detroit Become Human

Last edited:

fatmarco

- Watch Dogs 1
- Kane and Lynch 2
- Final Fantasy XV
- Call of Duty Ghosts
- Division 1
- Dead Rising 3

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
One Shell Straight to Hell is a great one that has received practically no publicity. A great combination of roguelike elements with an additional base defense mode.

Loke

Project Eden. Old game and has aged graphically but has some fun puzzles and is super fun in co-op.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
ZombiU
Code Veronica: X
T.R.A.G (called Hard Edge in Europe)
Shining the Holy Ark (Saturn exclusive, this game is amazing and is rarely mentioned)
OG Resident Evil 96 (people act like it's dated to the point of being unplayable)
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding
Twilight Princess (metacritic is great but people still label it the worst 3D Zelda, completely absurd)

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Marvel ultimate Alliance 3.
have enjoyed what I have played of it so far.

kid icarus uprising.

Death tank on Saturn

Baku Baku animal

burning rangers

pit fighter on SNES

ghost recon 3DS

Last edited:

mxbison

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (PC)

72 on Metacritic.

How much fucking crack do you have to smoke to give this game anything below a 9.

Reactions: Fuz
Here's my trifecta of underrated AND underappreciated games. I used to mention Prey (2017) before, but surely by now (especially in gaming sites like this) we all know how good it is.

s5dHJoNDE6wcjikH2t_XfucTbXxgi87t

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky for the Nintendo DS. One of the most beautiful stories I've ever experienced in a videogame. I'll never get tired of recommending this game to anyone with even a passing interest in Pokémon. I'm glad the Rescue Team remake did quite well, because surely that means this is next to get a remake and more people will be able to experience this masterpiece!

trauma_team-500x432.jpg

Trauma Team for the Nintendo Wii. Fast-paced (well, mostly) and addictive gameplay with a unique control scheme that sadly can't be replicated in any other console to the same effect. A very unique game, all in all, and a blast to play through. I can also be quite challenging --but fair-- if you play on the harder difficulties.

apps.62365.68498900770156313.92e56773-a548-4837-beb1-dcdb80ecefdb.7ea6a56f-b814-464e-be7e-c218a7e25aae

Don't sleep on Outland, people! You can play it on PS3, 360, and PC, I think. This underappreciated gem was made by Housemarque, developers of Returnal, Resogun, and some other gems, but it's more of a strategic platformer than a straight-up shooter. It could really use a re-release, but if you don't mind playing old games, you should check it out on Steam!

Amory

Greedfall is a pretty solid ARPG on Gamepass.

I posted my thoughts in the OT a month or two back. The entire OT is less than 2 pages, so I'm assuming not a ton of people know about it.

It's nothing exceptional but I enjoyed my time with it. The combat is a high point.

Phase

oni3.jpg

Onimusha (the whole series). I just finished the first one, never even heard about it before, and loved it. From what I can tell from people online the subsequent ones are even better.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
This utter fucking masterpiece. You can watch me fucking break in awe at the music and atmosphere.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Greedfall is a pretty solid ARPG on Gamepass.

I posted my thoughts in the OT a month or two back. The entire OT is less than 2 pages, so I'm assuming not a ton of people know about it.

It's nothing exceptional but I enjoyed my time with it. The combat is a high point.
Greedfall was good. Really good. Borderline but not quite up to par with older Bioware titles. Could have been amazing with a larger budget. I hope a Definitive Edition, expansion and or sequel/prequel based on the Continent comes along at some point at least.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

• Riddick - Escape from the butcher's bay
  • Sacred 1 Gold
  • Scrapland (2005)
  • Scarface The World is Yours
  • Tribes: Vengeance
  • Spellforce 1,2
  • Overlord (2007)
  • Starship troopers (2005)
  • Trine series
  • Celtic Kings: Rage of War
  • Infernal (2007)

Soul Sacrifice

913FOxgeBJL._SX342_.jpg

Driveclub

ArquivoExibir.aspx

Chrono Cross

chronocrossfforiginspsnembr.jpg

(not really underrated, but it has a lot less fanfare compared to Chrono Trigger)

Bomberman Fantasy Race

Bomberman_Fantasy_Race.jpg

(Idk I hated this game early on, but it has some unrelenting AI at endgame, and surprisingly enough, it has some high skill ceiling).

There are a lot more but some in mind but I'll leave at these four.

Last edited:

stn

Street Fighter X Tekken (PS360, PC). Its an excellent fighter that unfortunately received bad press due to shitty DLC practices.

Top Bottom