• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good non news focused gaming podcasts?

Fbh

Tittle is pretty self explanatory. What are some good gaming podcasts that don't focus on going over the news?

I used to listen to some gaming podcasts but as of late I'm finding the news based ones kinda boring since I'm not really getting anything from them. I already know about everything they usually talk about (since I've probably read about it around here) so at most you'll be getting some different perspective on a particular story.

The one I've consistently enjoyed is Frametrap from Easy Allies. As opposed to their main podcast, on Frametrap it's just 3 people talking about 1-3 games they are playing at the moment. There's usually one or two new releases but they also talk about older stuff they just happen to be playing. Over the years it has led me to check out some games I had initially overlooked (like Hollow Knight and Outer Wilds) which I ended up really enjoying.

So I'm looking for more stuff like that. Podcasts which don't focus on the news but rather on games themselves, or making of stories, or maybe one particular aspect of games (like music or level design).
Hopefully no woke stuff. I don't really care about the political view of the hosts and guests, as long as they don't bring them into the show.

Yeah, curious what other people are listening too also. I really am enjoying Jaffe’s new podcast because he is not afraid of just saying how he feels even if it might upset a developer. He also takes a lot of time to talk about game postmortems rather then just reviews, which I find really fascinating.

Kev Kev

TL;DR: most video game podcasts are not good, and im still searching for one i feel is worthy of being the industry standard. there is a massive hole to be filled for truly professional, great sounding gaming podcasts with quality content. i'm also searching for those, if you find them let me know, but at least ive found a couple that arent woke...

as a fan of talk radio for over 20 years now, the problem with gaming podcasts is the people doing them dont know how to create great content. probably from a lack of listening to other talk podcasts or talk radio, which they absolutely should be doing if they want to make there show better, and also just a lack of talent for doing that type of a job. i imagine a lot of them just found there way into talk shows because no one else was doing it or they just wanted to do it for fun. thats all good and well, but it doesnt necessarily make for great content and a professional, polished presentation.

they usually have almost no production, seemingly no direction for the show and even when they try its half baked and half assed sounding, there is no separation or introduction of segments within the show, the co hosts dont have segments of their own (pretty standard in talk radio/podcasts), there are times where its just silent and you can actually hear key strokes in the back ground lol, there are awkward technical difficulties like in episode #258 around the 34 minute mark in the ACG podcast (hes having tech troubles and its just silence for several seconds at a time, i actually thought the show was over and almost closed it out at one point), the jokes are pretty sub par because they are nerds and gamers not stand up comics (this one is obviously forgivable, but a podcast with some real talented people who just so happen to play games would be a more ideal situation, instead of just regular nerds who game a lot but arent funny or good at talking), and more.

just in general, it feels like these gaming podcasts dont have a standard to live up to. there hasnt been a really outstanding and great gaming podcast yet, so a lot of them are just getting on there and blabbing for an hour and half without considering putting some production and actual content into their shows (to be fair, there are a TON of shit podcasts out there these days, because everyone thinks they are a big time talk show host now lol). and why should they? no one else is doing it. the gaming podcast bar is set really low, and it shows to anyone who listens to talk radio a lot (like myself).

in general, it just doesnt feel like an entertaining show. instead it feels like im sitting in someones bedroom at their parents house listening to them talk about video games. i think there is a lot of potential for truly great gaming podcast; produced, thought out, entertaining, professional and polished, but we have yet to see that.

ive listened to a bunch, here a couple examples...

i like this one. it still has all the problems i mentioned above, but they have zero woke shit, and it'll get a small chuckle out of me now and then. i would recommend listening to this one if your avoiding woke shit...

this one suffers from all of the problems above as well. additionally, the host is passionate which i appreciate, but id really like to hear a lot less of him, and a lot more of the co hosts. there is nothing wrong with high energy (he sounds like he just drank a green monster energy drink or something), but when you dont let your co hosts breath it really gets tiring for the listener. let them do their thing! it will help your show. this doesn't have woke shit, but i cant recommend it, the host is bordering on being annoying, imo. i like his co hosts tho! i wish they had more air time...

in the end, at the moment most gaming podcasters are enthusiasts, not professionals, and it shows. as soon as we see some of these podcasts treating their craft more like a profession rather than a hobby, then we will start seeing actually great content.

Any recommendations other people have for great, non woke, gaming podcasts, please let me know! i love talk radio and i feel like there are great ones out there (great in the way i described, at least), i just havent found them yet. thanks!

Check out video game outsiders podcasts and let me know what you think Fbh Fbh . i dont think its great, but you might enjoy it.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Sadly 90% of the podcast hosts are doing the fake it until you make it. But they'll never make it.

Listen to TGMN. Ted Price Insomniac CEO talks with industry bigdikmadafakas.

It's actually quite good since you can hear who is zero and just bullshitting/smoothtalkin and who really has bigdikenergy.

jigglet

Banned
IGN UK.

I've stopped listening to all IGN podcasts cause of how freaking SJW they've all become, but these guys still keep it pretty real. There's plenty of swearing and assing around. I really enjoy the chemistry.

Fbh

I personally like EZA's Frame Trap.
Easy Allies Frametrap..all about game impressions and no news.

Yeah that one is great and the sort of thing I'm looking for (as mentioned in the OP :messenger_grinning_sweat:)
TL;DR: most video game podcasts are not good, and im still searching for one i feel is worthy of being the industry standard. there is a massive hole to be filled for truly professional, great sounding gaming podcasts with quality content. i'm also searching for those, if you find them let me know, but at least ive found a couple that arent woke...

as a fan of talk radio for over 20 years now, the problem with gaming podcasts is the people doing them dont know how to create great content. probably from a lack of listening to other talk podcasts or talk radio, which they absolutely should be doing if they want to make there show better, and also just a lack of talent for doing that type of a job. i imagine a lot of them just found there way into talk shows because no one else was doing it or they just wanted to do it for fun. thats all good and well, but it doesnt necessarily make for great content and a professional, polished presentation.

they usually have almost no production, seemingly no direction for the show and even when they try its half baked and half assed sounding, there is no separation or introduction of segments within the show, the co hosts dont have segments of their own (pretty standard in talk radio/podcasts), there are times where its just silent and you can actually hear key strokes in the back ground lol, there are awkward technical difficulties like in episode #258 around the 34 minute mark in the ACG podcast (hes having tech troubles and its just silence for several seconds at a time, i actually thought the show was over and almost closed it out at one point), the jokes are pretty sub par because they are nerds and gamers not stand up comics (this one is obviously forgivable, but a podcast with some real talented people who just so happen to play games would be a more ideal situation, instead of just regular nerds who game a lot but arent funny or good at talking), and more.

just in general, it feels like these gaming podcasts dont have a standard to live up to. there hasnt been a really outstanding and great gaming podcast yet, so a lot of them are just getting on there and blabbing for an hour and half without considering putting some production and actual content into their shows (to be fair, there are a TON of shit podcasts out there these days, because everyone thinks they are a big time talk show host now lol). and why should they? no one else is doing it. the gaming podcast bar is set really low, and it shows to anyone who listens to talk radio a lot (like myself).

in general, it just doesnt feel like an entertaining show. instead it feels like im sitting in someones bedroom at their parents house listening to them talk about video games. i think there is a lot of potential for truly great gaming podcast; produced, thought out, entertaining, professional and polished, but we have yet to see that.

ive listened to a bunch, here a couple examples...

i like this one. it still has all the problems i mentioned above, but they have zero woke shit, and it'll get a small chuckle out of me now and then. i would recommend listening to this one if your avoiding woke shit...

this one suffers from all of the problems above as well. additionally, the host is passionate which i appreciate, but id really like to hear a lot less of him, and a lot more of the co hosts. there is nothing wrong with high energy (he sounds like he just drank a green monster energy drink or something), but when you dont let your co hosts breath it really gets tiring for the listener. let them do their thing! it will help your show. this doesn't have woke shit, but i cant recommend it, the host is bordering on being annoying, imo. i like his co hosts tho! i wish they had more air time...

in the end, at the moment most gaming podcasters are enthusiasts, not professionals, and it shows. as soon as we see some of these podcasts treating their craft more like a profession rather than a hobby, then we will start seeing actually great content.

Any recommendations other people have for great, non woke, gaming podcasts, please let me know! i love talk radio and i feel like there are great ones out there (great in the way i described, at least), i just havent found them yet. thanks!

Check out video game outsiders podcasts and let me know what you think Fbh Fbh . i dont think its great, but you might enjoy it.

Thx, I'll check them out.
I'm personally not too bothered if the podcast isn't very structured, I think the whole "friends talking about games" vibe can be fun as long as the people have fun personalities and interesting stuff to say. Though some degree of structure and moderation is definitely needed. I recently listened to some episodes of Play Watch Listen because a friend had recommended it to me and found it way too loose, in half the episodes I listened they almost didn't even talk about games because someone would mention something random and then they'd go on a tangent for 30 minutes.
Sadly 90% of the podcast hosts are doing the fake it until you make it. But they'll never make it.

Listen to TGMN. Ted Price Insomniac CEO talks with industry bigdikmadafakas.

It's actually quite good since you can hear who is zero and just bullshitting/smoothtalkin and who really has bigdikenergy.

That sound interesting, will check it out thx.

Last edited:

Spacefish

there hasnt been a really outstanding and great gaming podcast yet
GFW radio was outstanding, the people on it were smart, insightful and actually funny. They all quit game journalism when the magazines folded, most were talented and went on to do interesting shit (A life well wasted is the best videogame related podcast media). The problem isn't about format or production values its that everyone with a brain already quit that dead end profession, there is no talent left.

Kev Kev

GFW radio was outstanding, the people on it were smart, insightful and actually funny. They all quit game journalism when the magazines folded, most were talented and went on to do interesting shit (A life well wasted is the best videogame related podcast media). The problem isn't about format or production values its that everyone with a brain already quit that dead end profession, there is no talent left.
thats essentially what im saying. the talent is not there (whether it used to be there or was never there at all, its certainly not there right now) and therefore the quality is low tier and the production is almost non existent.

but i will check out those shows you mentioned, ive been looking for something from people who know what they are doing. thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom