• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s your take on the Epic Game Store?

Select

• I do not support Epic and won’t grab either paid or free games from them

Votes: 64 21.9%
  • I grab the free games but will not buy any games on EGS

Votes: 89 30.5%
  • I have/will occasionally buy games from EGS

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • I regularly buy games on EGS

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I don’t play on PC but I’m ok with EGS

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • I don’t play on PC but I’m not ok with EGS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don’t play on PC and I don’t care

Votes: 13 4.5%

• Total voters
Sidenote, can somebody kind explain to me why I am unable to vote? Or am I missing something because I am in dark mode... HOW CAN I VOTE?!
I was wondering for the longest time as well. It's just "Neo member" status. Will go away with time and more good posts.

BWJinxing

I've not brought a game from egs. I've nearly come close but resisted. Else it's been free games with egs keys.

Feature wise, egs can't compete with steam.
Especially if games support the steam workshop, modding games where you need severall source sites filled with ads and shit...

Or one simple interface that will install all your mods pain free.

If egs puts the work in, maybe I convert, but aside from competition on prices, they got nothing.

It's an awesome store, and I have a huge library of free games thanks to them. I can only laugh at the people who are so blindly devoted to Steam that they refuse to ever support any other store.

manfestival

I think I only bought one game off of EGS which was RDR2. Been considering getting THPS2 on there when they drop another one of those $10 coupons on a major sale. There are so many games that they have given for free on there that it really is nice. Granted one can always claim all of the games and wait for the platform to improve through time and then viola. They will have an entire library of games that they have not played that they did not spend a dime on thanks to Epic.

tsumake

I think I only bought one game off of EGS which was RDR2. Been considering getting THPS2 on there when they drop another one of those $10 coupons on a major sale. There are so many games that they have given for free on there that it really is nice. Granted one can always claim all of the games and wait for the platform to improve through time and then viola. They will have an entire library of games that they have not played that they did not spend a dime on thanks to Epic.

I guess the idea is for players to develop a large library of games, free or not, to incentivize people to use their store and potentially migrate off of Steam.

manfestival

I guess the idea is for players to develop a large library of games, free or not, to incentivize people to use their store and potentially migrate off of Steam.
That is very much the idea and something that they have been outspoken about for some time.

If they put as much into their service features as they did snagging exclusives (i. e. NEO: The World Ends With You), I'd have more respect.

As it is, GoG is the only one aside from Steam or Battle.net that I'll touch.

the_master

The idea of loyalty towards stream doesn't make much sense to me. Steam is a store, not your friend. If you don't want to buy anything on the EGS because you disagree with it's funding from Tencent, then more power to you.

But if you're simply trying to buy games, then I don't see why it matters so much where you're getting them from. Personally, I don't want to see any one service like Steam have a monopoly, as that almost never turns out well.
I came here to say the same thing.
Being a console warrior is a problem. Being a store warrior??? That is another level

the_master

I am also surprised to see so much people talking about store features.

What matters are THE GAMES. If egs helps fund games, that is what counts.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Why the hell would people go for a crap store when they can choose a good store instead? Of course people want features. If only games matters they can just treat EGS like Blizzard treats Battle.net. Like a crappy store for their exclusive games, and only that.

People dislike EGS because they buy exclusivity left and right.

Last edited:

Brofist

Well yes the game is the important part but what’s wrong with wanting a full feature set game store
I came here to say the same thing.
Being a console warrior is a problem. Being a store warrior??? That is another level
Oh ffs showing a preference doesn’t equal warrior. If I always go to the same supermarket cause I like the service and convenience does that make me a supermarket warrior?

Stop being obtuse, there are reasons people prefer Steam that aren't weird or irrational.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not as nice to use as steam but heaps better then MS storefront so what ever. If I have a choice I’ll go with steam if not I’ll use it.

I barely ever game on PC so obviously take my opinion with less weight than others who play more PC games. But if I ever switch to being a PC gamer I would go wherever the game is cheaper, and if they're tied I'd probably lean EGS right now due to the lower cut they take away from devs, but there would likely be other factors at well

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
My take is that they are losing steam, and their strategy still haven't work as well as they thought after all these years, in fact doing worse than before. It takes a lot to lose more money than before and less exclusive titles during a COVID year while everyone else benefited.

I have yet to get games on it... Got a lot of the free games, but now I'm even picky but the free games in my library, if the game seems to be designed by a critical theorists committee... Well I don't need to be made to feel bad about myself, so I won't even get it for free, but this is another topic.

I find that the epic games store is both sluggish and barebones, I have a relatively fast nvme drive, 64gb of RAM, etc etc. That thing should just pop in the screen!

I noticed the Deponia series is next on the free offering. I bought almost all the Daedalic games in a mass offering sale on steam. Hyperbole but I think it was every Daedalic game for a buck or maybe it was a block of a dozen games for a buck and there were several blocks of Daedalic offerings. Point is I have every Daedalic game in my steam library. :) I don't work for them I swear but the games are fun.

One thing is to fund the game development as they're doing with Alan Wake 2 and another is to pay devs to not put the game in other stores... In one case you're giving players value on something that otherwise would not exist, in the other you're just putting a barrier on consumers that woldn't be there otherwise... See the difference?

LOL like installing another launcher is some huge burden to play a game.

Furthermore, the complaint against epic for exclusive games is hypocritic af. Like if I'm a game publisher it's OK for me to make my game exclusive to my own launcher, but if I wanna make it exclusive to epic then it's not? The effective result is exactly the same - you have to install another launcher.

Furthermore, the complaint against epic for exclusive games is hypocritic af. Like if I'm a game publisher it's OK for me to make my game exclusive to my own launcher, but if I wanna make it exclusive to epic then it's not? The effective result is exactly the same - you have to install another launcher.
It may be okay for the console warriors to see paid exclusives, but here on PC we always had fair play. You're free to choose where your own game goes, whether you're making it or publishing it. A storefront owner can deny you entry, but they can't force you to stay. EGS is bringing the stupid console wars to PC, outright steals games from other platforms, and that's one of the many things that pisses people off about it.

And can we please start issuing some kind of punishment for using the "launcher" argument in these discussions? It's been done to death, and has been ignorant and missing the point since the first time it came up two years ago.

Last edited:

cromofo

I have created multiple accounts just to claim free games and then give them to my little nephews when they grow older and get their own PCs.

the_master

People dislike EGS because they buy exclusivity left and right.
Exclusivities that help fund games, which means more and better games in the market.
If people didn't care about store features, they would just pirate games. Cheaper, simpler, and DRM free.
People care about developers as well I hope. They do all the work.
Oh ffs showing a preference doesn’t equal warrior. If I always go to the same supermarket cause I like the service and convenience does that make me a supermarket warrior?

Stop being obtuse, there are reasons people prefer Steam that aren't weird or irrational.
Yeah preference does not mean warrior, but who would vote for the first option, for example? "I would not get even the free games because I do not suport them"?

Like they are evil for getting exclusives. One of the main reasons that most of the best games in history exist.

And I do not usually play on PC, this just shocks me.

Like they are evil for getting exclusives. One of the main reasons that most of the best games in history exist.
You mistake console exclusives, which are products directly sponsored by the console platform holder and would never have been made without them, to be the same as the EGS "paid exclusives", which are fully funded, complete games with their own publisher, that would have released everywhere if Epic hadn't bought them over.

Last edited:

the_master

You mistake console exclusives, which are products directly sponsored by the console platform holder and would never have been made without them, to be the same as the EGS "paid exclusives", which are fully funded, complete games with their own publisher, that would have released everywhere if Epic hadn't bought them over.
Games are not fully paid from the start anymore.
Many features need to be cut for budget reasons, some games struggle to finish and some studios do not have the budget to start working on the next project, and even may need to recoup the external investment first.

Egs exclusivity may help finish funding the game, the last features, extra features and start working on the next update, dlc or future project.

Imo, the best investment is the one that goes to developement.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Hypocritic? No, it's not the first because if Valve did the same it would still be shit unless they literally produced the game and no, it's not "just one launcher more" for many of us considering Tencent hands... I mean, can people not optout because they'd be bad people?

Flabagast

I only buy on GoG on PC, even if it is more expensive (dont really care about 10€ difference tbh). If it is not there, then I get the game on PS4. Really not fond of Steam nor EGS

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I get the free games and i've activated a couple of games on there i got with a new GPU or bought elsewhere, but i've never bought off Epic, i don't like launchers or clients while i'm gaming really, i come from a time on PC when you just ran the game, Steam and Uplay don't really cause me any issue, but Beth net and epic etc i don't like, they take resources away from the game and they are all storefronts now basically, trying to sell me stuff when i just want to play the game,

I would respect Epic more if it actually made new good games but they don't, but you can say the same for Steam now as well, GoG is ok as i can play without it running but the downloads speeds are awful and they don't get many new games either, i would rarther just go back to the days of buying a game installing a game and playing it and get rid of all of them, but with all the MTX money made now, not gonna happen, it'll probably get worse!.

dcx4610

Its interface is fine but I and I'm sure many like having our games in one place. Since Steam is the biggest platform, I want my games there. It's like having a library and all of your content is in one place. If my only option is Epic or another store, I'll do it but I'll avoid it if I can. I don't like having to keep a document/spreadsheet knowing what games I own and which app/store I have to open up to play them.

For the console gamers saying it doesn't matter, imagine having a PS5 and then having to open up specific apps to buy and play certain games. That'd be pretty annoying.

It's not so much loyalty to Valve/Steam as it is that they were the first, the biggest and is where most of my games are. I want everything there if possible.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

GoG's client officially supports EPIC store games (and unofficially Steam's)

I don't link mine, i prefer to keep them separate or not use them at all, if i buy a Ubisoft game, i will just buy for Uplay, not Steam as well, as i don't want 2 client's running at the same time to play 1 PC game.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Valve isn't exactly the fastest working company on earth, but Epic is even slower. It's unbelievable how little their store has changed the last two years.

Last edited:

Brofist

Valve isn't exactly the wasting working company on earth, but Epic is even slower. It's unbelievable how little their store has changed the last two years.
EGS is hot garbage (and I actually have a decent collection of non free games there). But don't let that detract the retards in here who think that people irrationally like Steam better and all have posters of topless Gaben on their wall.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Exclusivities that help fund games, which means more and better games in the market.

People care about developers as well I hope. They do all the work.

Yeah preference does not mean warrior, but who would vote for the first option, for example? "I would not get even the free games because I do not suport them"?

And I do not usually play on PC, this just shocks me.

funding and exclusivity can be mutually exclusive

Top Bottom