• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s your take on the Epic Game Store?

Select

• I do not support Epic and won’t grab either paid or free games from them

Votes: 64 21.9%
  • I grab the free games but will not buy any games on EGS

Votes: 89 30.5%
  • I have/will occasionally buy games from EGS

Votes: 95 32.5%
  • I regularly buy games on EGS

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • I don’t play on PC but I’m ok with EGS

Votes: 19 6.5%
  • I don’t play on PC but I’m not ok with EGS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I don’t play on PC and I don’t care

Votes: 13 4.5%

• Total voters

harmny

Banned
The idea of loyalty towards stream doesn't make much sense to me. Steam is a store, not your friend. If you don't want to buy anything on the EGS because you disagree with it's funding from Tencent, then more power to you.

But if you're simply trying to buy games, then I don't see why it matters so much where you're getting them from. Personally, I don't want to see any one service like Steam have a monopoly, as that almost never turns out well.

if you don't want to give money to tencent forget about games from activision/blizzard. ubisoft. riot games. path of exile. platinum games. frontier. paradox. fatshark. funcom. and don't use discord. and that is off the top of my head

Brofist

I grab the freebies and pretty much don’t use it otherwise. I prefer Steam, and it has nothing to do with any blind loyalty. EGS is an inferior product.

Hoddi

I still prefer Steam but I have no issue with buying from EGS. Steam is just my go to because they charge me in USD while other storefronts charge me in euros. My country isn't part of the EU and $60 is less than 60€.

I otherwise don't care which online store I get my games from. I hate that these online giants have killed all of the smaller brick and mortar stores and I have no interest in jumping to their defense.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I'm mostly there for the free games, but I've actually bought two games as well. Tony Hawk and Trover Saves the Universe. Not actively looking to buy stuff, though. That's usually reserved for Steam.

Ridaxan

I don't mind the store at all. Competition is good. What I do mind is the nonsense exclusivity which I understand from a business perspective, but it still sucks from a consumer perspective.

I have bought quite a couple of games on the store, but I've eventually gone and re-bought the same games on steam when they eventually released there. I should actually just wait for the steam release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've spent less than $10 on their store, and have a few hundred games there - some really good stuff.

So, seems pretty cool. Their free games have definitely reduced my spending on games the last few years.

theclaw135

Banned
I figure the positives of the exclusives and freebies outweigh the negatives.
Claim as many free games as you can! The money out of Epic's pocket goes toward supporting better publishers and developers than Epic Games.

Stuart360

I figure the positives of the exclusives and freebies outweigh the negatives.
Claim as many free games as you can! The money out of Epic's pocket goes toward supporting better publishers and developers than Epic Games.
Got something like 140 games on the Epic Store, and i paid for 1 of them. Another freebie coming tomorrow too.

mxbison

I bought Hades there and the store seems fine. Actually kinda fun to browse there since it's not filled with 99% garbage like Steam.

Big Picture Mode and PS4/Switch controller support make Steam the better choice though.

bender

What time is it?
Free games!
Free games?
Every week!
Free games every week?
But I love Steam!!!
Free games every week!

reksveks

Exclusives are a necessary evil unfortunately to be successful as a content distributor, be that in the video game space or entertainment space.

MMaRsu

Banned
Exclusives are a necessary evil unfortunately to be successful as a content distributor, be that in the video game space or entertainment space.
Wrong.

I would have bought games there if they competed on price instead of exclusivity
The idea of loyalty towards stream doesn't make much sense to me. Steam is a store, not your friend. If you don't want to buy anything on the EGS because you disagree with it's funding from Tencent, then more power to you.

But if you're simply trying to buy games, then I don't see why it matters so much where you're getting them from. Personally, I don't want to see any one service like Steam have a monopoly, as that almost never turns out well.
Steam doesnt have a monopoly. Stop drinking the Epic Kool Aid

BootsLoader

Banned
I don’t know it and I don’t care to know it.
(and then he walks away)

Soodanim

Gold Member
Not interested in getting their poorly made store or their heavy handed approach of strong arming their way into the market, and as a result I’m not interested in their games. Which is sometimes a shame, because they throw money at a lot of games. It’s only really THPS1+2 that I’m missing out on, though.

Last edited:

reksveks

Wrong.

I would have bought games there if they competed on price instead of exclusivity

You would have, most people don't.

People take account for more than just price when buying a product from a retailer.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I've added the Samurai Shodown collection, but haven't installed the launcher on my new comp. Probably won't due to Tencent and spyware.

If it's EGS exclusive it simply doesn't exist to me.

Paasei

I bought my first game ever on EGS, which was Hitman 3. As much as I love this game, I still regret not being patient enough to wait till the end of the year for it to be released on Steam.

Sometimes I gotta learn the hard way. Do I really hate EGS? Not necessarily, but I just don't want so many different launchers, just because of those few games.

Couldn't care less about most of the Steam features. Mods, 3rd party keys and the better interface are the things I care about. Even the first one can be arranged from other, better, sites.

Haggard

Banned
I really prefer to split my library as little as possible, and I’d rather not have some games stuck on an inferior launcher.[/ISPOILER]

One library, no matter how many other launchers you have.

GruntosUK

Some of the money goes back into the Unreal Engine, which helps developers make their games, its come on leaps and bounds the last few years because of it. I never used Origin or any of those, but I don't mind the EGS for what it gives back. They've pumped a lot of money into areas outside of the Unreal Engine as well, like Blender and the Godot engine, all to help game development.

Sidesalad

Wrong.

That's like saying that Comcast doesn't have a monopoly. Of course there are technically other options, but none of them are real competitors.

Some of the money goes back into the Unreal Engine, which helps developers make their games, its come on leaps and bounds the last few years because of it. I never used Origin or any of those, but I don't mind the EGS for what it gives back. They've pumped a lot of money into areas outside of the Unreal Engine as well, like Blender and the Godot engine, all to help game development.
See that's the thing that frustrates me so much. Outside of EGS, everything else that Epic does is mostly good, or at worst annoying but tolerable. If they just didn't do the whole destructive market entry thing with EGS, and didn't try to make a console war out of it, there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with them. I might have even been rooting for them in their war against Apple.

One library, no matter how many other launchers you have.
I do use Playnite but it's not as not as smooth as native Steam with games and launchers needing to update before the game runs. And I also like using Steam Input for many games.

I don’t mind it. nothing particularly wrong with it. I got a load of free games on it so that’s great. I’m so over complaining about having multiple clients. Right now I only have epic, steam, and battle.net installed. Epic is easily the one I use most now. On it I have rocket league, fortnite, gta v, death stranding, thps1+2. On steam I only have flight sim + persona strikers.

one little thing that pissed me off is if I have to reinstall it then it won’t recognise I have games downloaded on my D: drive. So I need to delete them and redownload. I don’t know if they have fixed it now and honestly it’s just a small issue cause the only time I run into it is if I clean install Windows.

Last edited:
That's like saying that Comcast doesn't have a monopoly. Of course there are technically other options, but none of them are real competitors.
The thing with Steam's "monopoly" is that the service they offer makes utmost sense to use. Even if you toss away the whole established userbase thing - For $100, no questions asked (besides being a legitimate company making a game), you get: hosting, distribution, visibility and marketing tools, all kinds of networking and support APIs, etc, and you can freely generate keys you can sell on any storefront, including your own, and get 100% of the profit back, same as you would striking out on your own. You're charged 30% on sales from within the Steam store itself, but those sales are on top of what you can sell yourself. And anyone from across the world can buy your games at reasonable prices and with a variety of payment options.

So you basically have a choice between going for other platforms that are more than likely to rebuff your project due to curation, picking a free platform with none of the user convenience options or advanced tools at your disposal, striking out on your own for maximum profit but having to do everything yourself, or paying $100 and having Steam give you the full package of tools and stuff. If all storefronts and platforms on PC were stripped of all their existing established userbases, and I were a developer that had to pick just one storefront to be on with my game, going just by the features and benefits offered versus the costs and risks - I'd almost certainly go with Steam first.

It's something of a "natural monopoly" I suppose, because it's literally the best option for most people to get what they want, developers and players alike. Natural the same way a river is natural - it's the biggest thing around that everyone goes for water to, because it's been here a long time and carved the way for itself, and there's enough space for everyone and plenty of water to go around. Anyone can collect rainwater, dig their own wells or find and claim streams, but there's already a river nearby, so it makes sense to use it.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Yay for free games.
Booo for exclusives.

It's not even like console exclusives either, it's still on PC just that you're forced to use a different store...
On the one hand sure I mean why should Steam have the privilege to just be the one platform I guess, on the other hand I don't want to have a bunch of different clients for my games.
Preferably devs should just release games on as many platforms as possible then let you choose.

GymWolf

I have no problem with it, free games and a lot of discount coupons for the store.

When you already have 3-4 launchers on pc, one more is really not biggie (at least for me)

It is still better than the fucking microsoft store.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
If it was just another place to get games with its own launcher I would have no issues. Its the exclusives which bother me. That being said I am not totally against it, but I have yet to find a need to download it or get games from it. I have plenty of games I still never played on PC so getting free games doesnt do much for me. Also games on PC arent that expensive anyways (although free is nice).

The closest I came was Borderlands 3 but in the end i just waited and got it on Steam.

Haggard

Banned
I do use Playnite but it's not as not as smooth as native Steam with games and launchers needing to update before the game runs. And I also like using Steam Input for many games.
Playnite is pretty much crap in comparison and since steam games still run via steam despite having them in GOG steam input works as usual.

Last edited:

Ballthyrm

Exclusive are good because they force devs to make higher quality games because the audience is smaller.
Competition is good.
Monopolies de facto or not are bad.
Free games are good.
Paying devs a higher share is good.

Corporations are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty.

Playnite is pretty much crap in comparison and since steam games still run via steam despite having them in GOG steam input works as usual.
I don't want to get into a debate about this but I'll just say that GOG tends to log me out of linked accounts on the regular and sometimes I can't even log back in, while Playnite never seems to do that. Though I'm sure YMMV. And while this Steam Input solution works for games native to Steam, for games outside of Steam they need to be added manually as Steam shortcuts, sometimes it still doesn't work, and finding the community input profiles also gets harder. So in that aspect games bought on Steam are simply better.

Braag

I have redeemed a bunch of games there and bought 2 games from their store.
It still feels fairly bare bones compared to Steam and I don't really like the layout of the store but I ain't boycotting it either.

Denton

It still sucks, but I did buy few games there when on the coupon sale - control (was good), outer wilds (mistake and regret), ghostrunner (mistake and regret), division 2 (mistake and regret).

I do not plan on ever making it my primary platform, but I might buy something there again if the price is low enough (preferably so low that Epic actually loses money due to funding the vouchers).

Everyone needs to relax about EGS. Just because it’s not steam doesn’t mean it sucks. Not to mention there are less garbage games in the mix.

Corporations are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty.
The entire universe is not your friend, all it does is try to take as much as it can from you.
There is, however, a matter of trust. There are things you can trust not to spontaneously kill you, there are people you can trust not to screw you over.

When it comes to corporations, especially in gaming, I can't name any company that I have more trust for, than Valve. Trust that they won't screw me over, out of malice, oversight, or profiteering. You can call it "loyalty" if you wish, but it's not black and white - there are things you can trust more than others, and it so happens that I trust Valve more than most.

Shubh_C63

It's just another storefront to me. Compare the prices and buy where it's cheaper.

The curated list and reviews not available on Epic doesn't bother me.

JCK75

It's not about loyalty, it's about the shitty tactics of Tim Sweeney.
If he made this store and said we offer free games come on over.. I'd most likely come on over
but instead they decided the way to go is to bring console style exclusivity bullshit and I will not support this no matter what.
then they bring their nonsense to mobile and start fighting to get around paying for doing business with Apple/Google
Sony and MS take 30%.. are they going to bring this fight to those platforms next?

Just fed up with him and I want EGS to die and go away.

TVexperto

Its the best store. The free games they give away are insane in value, Valve would never do sth like that, they are too greedy in my opinion.
Steam only cares about big publishers and games, Epic gives more money to small indie devs.

EGS >>>GOG Store >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MS Store>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Steam

Sygma

Its functional and never had an issue with any of the games in there. Wished there was a cart tho

I’ve bought a few games on it. I don’t understand why people flip the fuck out over having to open a launcher. Seems to work fine.

Top Bottom