• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the best monitor I can buy with a size limit of 32”?

NinjaBoiX

So I’ve just got myself a new job that pays pretty well, so I feel like treating myself to a best in class monitor to hook up my Series X and PS5 to. I’ve been slumming it with a fairly mid-range Sony TV for long enough, I’m not doing these consoles justice!

So what’s the best, most future proofed monitor I can get for under £1000? I want all the bells and whistles, here are a list of my must haves:

- HDR
- HDMI 2.1 x 2/3
- VRR
- 1440p (not that fussed about 4K at this size to be honest)
- Super fast response time
- 120hz
- Anything else I might be forgetting!

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, and the consensus seems to be to wait a few months. But a lot of those videos are already a few months old.

I also heard that March is as good a time as October to snag a bargain, is that true?

it still sensible to hold out until maybe next year?

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBoiX

Get ultrawide u will never want to go back after that.
Is there much point in ultrawide without a PC?
Get 34 inch 1440p ultrawide from acer
Ah OK, which one? I googled it but there were a good few results!
If picture quality is key to you then go OLED or the new Sony monitors.
Yeah, I think OLED is probably the way to go, I will be watching movies on it as well as playing games.

Which Sony monitors do you speak of?

Kenpachii

Is there much point in ultrawide without a PC?

Ah OK, which one? I googled it but there were a good few results!

Yeah, I think OLED is probably the way to go, I will be watching movies on it as well as playing games.

I am a idiot thought u wanted one for PC because of monitor. I dunno if consoles can use ultrawide solutions so ignore my tip.

NinjaBoiX

I am an idiot thought u wanted one for PC because of monitor. I dunno if consoles can use ultrawide solutions so ignore my tip.
No probs!

I’m just restricted for space in my spare room, 32” is about as big as I can go. And they don’t really seem to make cutting edge TV’s in that size!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have seen the Sony Inzone M9 in action and it looks really nice for the price but the stand is really bad

I personally use the LG 27GP950 but the black levels suck so not great for movie watching but if I replace these I would switch to that M9

NinjaBoiX

I have seen the Sony Inzone M9 in action and it looks really nice for the price but the stand is really bad

I personally use the LG 27GP950 but the black levels suck so not great for movie watching but if I replace these I would switch to that M9
Wow, it does seem like one of the better HDR monitors. But 4K seems like overkill for 27”!

jm89

I've been searching for ages for a decent 32 inch. Samsung neo g7 or neo g8 seem to be one of the best in the higher end range.

Rtings.com ranks neo g8 as their best high end monitor in the 32 inch range, and neo g7 is right behind it. Biggest difference between the two is the g8 supports up to 240hz.

Both are curved though which is annoying, and samsug has some quality control issues with their monitors.

Last edited:

hinch7

Wait for the Samsung QD-OLED G8

Same panel used in the Alienware.. 34" 1440P Ultrawide OLED with perfect blacks, 0.1ms response time. This one has HDMI 2.1 which the Alienware doesn't. No Gsync Ultimate though.

Last edited:

intbal

I personally use the M32U, which cost me just over $500 when I bought it (saw it recently for $400 or so, Gigabyte is refreshing their line of monitors).

Start here, it'll point you in the right direction.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/gaming-monitors-4k
Second.
It's got the full range of features, even if the HDR functionality isn't the best because of the contrast ratio.

Also, OP, at 32 inches, you will definitely appreciate the additional pixels that 4K provides. I have a 32 inch 1440p monitor and it just never seems detailed enough.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Just make sure you don't get any monitor type that is: IPS, VA or TN. Stick to OLED or QD-OLED only, later this year and next year there will be a lot more OLEDs at monitor sizes.

HTK

Banned
It kind of is as 1440p is the sweet spot but if its for 27" but 4k still looks very nice at this size
I can definitely tell the difference between 1440p and 4k on a 27" inch. In fact I prefer the 4K image quite a bit, but I resort to 1440p because FPS. But then again I can get 4k at around 110 and 120fps so I go back and forth lol.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You won’t get a monitor as good as a tv for console gaming right now. Though I’d say in about 2 years you should. Right now monitors are pretty far behind in everything but refresh rates .. which are achieved by having such crappy image quality yet consoles aren’t going to support anything over 120 anyway.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So I’ve just got myself a new job that pays pretty well, so I feel like treating myself to a best in class monitor to hook up my Series X and PS5 to. I’ve been slumming it with a fairly mid-range Sony TV for long enough, I’m not doing these consoles justice!

So what’s the best, most future proofed monitor I can get for under £1000? I want all the bells and whistles, here are a list of my must haves:

- HDR
- HDMI 2.1 x 2/3
- VRR
- 120hz

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, and the consensus seems to be to wait a few months. But a lot of those videos are already a few months old.

I also heard that March is as good a time as October to snag a bargain, is that true?

Was just playing some Hell Let Loose with a buddy and he was talking about a monitor he just brought home today from Best Buy for $999 open box buy the Samsung Neo G8 32"

I don't know the conversion rate to US money but my friend seems to think he has bought a God tier monitor and while the specs look crazy impressive I don't think I personally could get used to a curve that aggressive but wanted to add it in case you had stores nearby that might sell open box type of hardware

nocsi

Best in class at 32 inch is the Apple Pro Display XDR. Enjoy OP, you wanted best in class, so go ahead and pony up the cash

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Wait for the Samsung QD-OLED G8

Same panel used in the Alienware.. 34" 1440P Ultrawide OLED with perfect blacks, 0.1ms response time. This one has HDMI 2.1 which the Alienware doesn't. No Gsync Ultimate though.

wish it wasnt curved

hinch7

wish it wasnt curved
Its a 1800R curve on a 34" UW, so its only a slight curve. You'd probably want at least a subtle curve for an ultrawide, for better FOV and comfort; at normal desktop viewing distance. Otherwise you'd be turning your head and dotting your eyes to see the sides when playing games or watching/reading 21:9 content.

Should be out soon, with the German press release saying launch in October. The only big issue I have is the price.. at 1729 Euros (ouch).

There's another alternative which is the Alienware AW3423DWF, thats coming soon, which is a cut down version of the first AW OLED. For a couple hundred less for 165hz vs 175 and FreeSync vs Gsync Ultimate.

Last edited:
Samsung Odeyssey G7 has local dimming.

It has a bit aggressive curve so would check out in person.

Outside of that would get a tv with local dimming. That's a must feature with lots of zones for good HDR and contrast. Something you need for it to be a proper jump over your current setup.

It's for consoles so avoid ultrawide, also ensure its 120hz mode is supported by HDMI.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

These:

By many the reviews I've seen, they seem to have the best picture quality for non-OLED monitors due to good local dimming algorithm.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Pretty much the only one that hits the spec you requested ESPECIALLY the HDR support.

It is 4k though but if you want actual good HDR it's the only option.

The old none "Neo" G7 has that crappy HDR 600 certification all monitors hit... its not really HDR, so honestly I don't see many other options on the market and most of them with HDR are double this price. 2x HDMI 2.1 ports (its a monitor that's the best your going to get, they expect you to use Display port like a none savage)

This is the none ultrawide version of the G8 everyone keeps suggesting to you for no reason despite your clear use case not needing ultra wide. It's £100 over budget RRP wise so you will need to find a deal, but with what your asking for your traditionally looking at £2k+ for a monitor, drop the HDR requirement and you can buy the much cheaper and older G7 for around £600 (which I use 2x for my set up)

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Been looking at monitors and reviews for the last couple of days.

Conclusion: if you want an OLED that's curved, get the Alienware. If you want an OLED that's flat and over 27 inches, your going to have to wait.

jm89

Been looking at monitors and reviews for the last couple of days.

Conclusion: if you want an OLED that's curved, get the Alienware. If you want an OLED that's flat and over 27 inches, your going to have to wait.
There is already an flat oled option, asus pg42uq but at 42 inches. Same panel as the lg c2.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

There is already an flat oled option, asus pg42uq but at 42 inches. Same panel as the lg c2.
Oh yeah, I threw this out of my mind because it was sold out when I looked for it! I also saw on the Amazon reviews of the monitor arriving cracked for damn near everyone 😬

NinjaBoiX

Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry to leave the thread hanging! I’ve been working away for a few days.

But I’ve been having a good think about it, and as the consensus has been pointing to, it’s simply not cost effective to spend £1000 on a monitor to get comparable specs of a decent TV. Why are monitors so expensive?!? I guess it’s simply a matter of production volume? 🤷🏼‍♂️

But anyway, I need to upgrade the TV in the lounge at some point as it’s rubbish, but I really can’t justify spending a grand twice! So I’ve been having a good look for something more reasonable (like £500) and they’re all hugely compromised in at least one or two areas. I just know I’ll regret gaming in the spare room on a subpar set when there’ll be a far better display downstairs.

So I’ve realigned my priorities and made the decision to just keep my lacklustre 32” Sony LCD as the spare room TV, and move my big boy consoles downstairs, I’ll just hook up my switch dock to the Sony! 😅
LG OLED all day. Everyday. 42 inch though.
Yeah, I think I’ll go for an LG OLED, probably 55”.
You won’t get a monitor as good as a tv for console gaming right now. Though I’d say in about 2 years you should. Right now monitors are pretty far behind in everything but refresh rates .. which are achieved by having such crappy image quality yet consoles aren’t going to support anything over 120 anyway.
Yup, that’s what swayed my change of heart. Why are all these smaller screens with obvious deficiencies the same price or more than a huge TV?

I just can’t spend that amount of cash twice.
The lg 32gq950 is pretty good at that size. Not great with hdr though. Not many monitors are.
Yup, sucks!
go bigger, make it work.
mount it on the wall if you have to.

size matters.
55” is perfect for my lounge.

LG C2 seems like the set to get?

- HDR
- HDMI 2.1 x 2/3
- VRR
- 120hz

I don’t know if anybody brought it up yet but I don’t think PS5 can do VRR at 1440p. Xbox definitely can but I don’t think that’s supported with the type of VRR that PlayStation uses.

NinjaBoiX

Lg c2 sony a80k/a90k or samaung sb95b are the ones you should be looking at. Get whatever is cheaper and enjoy
Yeah, I think I’m pretty set on an LG, they seem to be the obvious choice!

C2 is the most recent model right? I’ll scout around for sales in the new year, I’m somewhat reliably informed that the March is as good a month, if not better, than October to pick up a TV bargain.
I don’t know if anybody brought it up yet but I don’t think PS5 can do VRR at 1440p. Xbox definitely can but I don’t think that’s supported with the type of VRR that PlayStation uses.
Yeah, the PS5 VRR implementation seems lacklustre to say the least. Doesn’t it basically disengage below 50fps or something?

Lame, but it seems like that’s going to be an issue no matter which set I choose.

🤷🏼‍♂️

As a minor aside, I might pick up a cheap preowned XSS for the spare room Sony at some point. It’s be nice to have access to gamepass as well as a docked switch in there, and being a 1080p set it’s probably a good fit.

Yeah, I think I’m pretty set on an LG, they seem to be the obvious choice!

C2 is the most recent model right? I’ll scout around for sales in the new year, I’m somewhat reliably informed that the March is as good a month, if not better, than October to pick up a TV bargain.

Yeah, the PS5 VRR implementation seems lacklustre to say the least. Doesn’t it basically disengage below 50fps or something?

Lame, but it seems like that’s going to be an issue no matter which set I choose.

🤷🏼‍♂️

As a minor aside, I might pick up a cheap preowned XSS for the spare room Sony at some point. It’s be nice to have access to gamepass as well as a docked switch in there, and being a 1080p set it’s probably a good fit.
I have the 55” LG C2 and it’s amazing. You won’t regret it. I can’t go back to non-OLED for my tv.

Yeah it might only be 48hz and higher which is stupid. I don’t remember entirely though.

I can chime in on the Series S part as well. I bought one recently and it’s a cool little machine assuming you don’t want to install too awfully much. It’s great as a secondary console. Though I’ll probably get rid of mine since I just found a 3080 and I don’t need a new pc plus two Xboxes.

Is it safe to buy monitors online without having them arrived damaged or with crud on the screen?

One time a monitor I bought had crud on the screen straight out of the box, granted this was over a decade ago.

Top Bottom