• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What’s the best monitor I can buy with a size limit of 32”?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP,

As stated above, use Rtings.com to narrow down the best TVs/monitors for your budget. For TVs, the best ones are LG and Samsung where LG OLEDs are the best ones for years. I reco for all electronics you buy check to see if Costco has it first. Their selection isnt great, so for obscure stuff they wont have it, but main models they will. They have the best standard warranties for electronics out there at 2 years, with 90 day refund policy. For TVs, they also have extended warranties for dirt cheap where any issues you have they come to your door to pick it up and drop it off back at your place. I got 3 years extended warranty on my TV years back for $100. So 5 years total coverage. At that time, Best Buy wanted $400 for similar coverage.

Last edited:

baphomet

Why a monitor?

You have a sound setup in this room, or are you getting a monitor and solely using headphones with it?

NinjaBoiX

OK guys, I’ve made my decision, which is another change of heart but so be it!

I’m not getting a better tv for downstairs yet, and I don’t want to hold out until small monitors get better.

So I’m going to get a LG C2 42”, as it’s the smallest screen I can find that does everything I want. It’s a little too big for my spare room, but I’ll make it work!

Unless there’s a better 42-43” screen under £1000?

Ownage

This thread is relevant to me too. I'm the type of guy that uses hardware until it breaks. My 24' Dell monitor from 2011 is still working fine, despite moves to 2 continents and 3 countries. But, it's been long enough, and I want something better to go with a PC I'm building. Some good suggestions in here. Any thoughts on bigass Dell monitors? Are they still as reliable as 10 years ago?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

I’m not getting a better tv for downstairs yet, and I don’t want to hold out until small monitors get better.

So I’m going to get a LG C2 42”, as it’s the smallest screen I can find that does everything I want. It’s a little too big for my spare room, but I’ll make it work!

The only thing that would be close would be the Sony a90k in that size or the Asus. The sony will be better for watching content. The asus would probably be the best for gaming but its more expensive.

go with the C2 42"

I was actually thinking of buying this exact model today but i'm worried it's too big for my desk. i currently have a 27" monitor. otherwise it seems perfect: oled, 4k, 120hz, hdmi 2.1, vrr (gsync/freesync).

intbal

I have a Dell S3222dgm
32in 1440p 165hz

Lacks hdr but holy hell is it amazing.

I have this monitor, too.
My only problem with it is the black frame insertion feature. I get colored ghost trails that make it mostly useless. How does yours perform?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why are monitors so expensive?!? I guess it’s simply a matter of production volume? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Because they have mostly seperate use case scenarios, and yes while gaming is one that is shared they are more likely to encounter events which would lead to image retention and also due to usage for esports for example have higher refreshes with better support for things like VRR. So there design goal is different, as most 3rd party suppliers for "gaming" monitors use parts from other manufacturers who actually produce panels like LG and Samsung who primarily produce these for the larger "for corporate" business usage this means gamers are at the whims of these handful of manufacturers who are primarily designing screens not for gamers, unlike TV's that have very limited business usage.

So yes essentially you are 100% spot on.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I have this monitor, too.
My only problem with it is the black frame insertion feature. I get colored ghost trails that make it mostly useless. How does yours perform?
I never used the BFI feature, let alone know what it is. Never bothered to research it.
Is it under another name?
Outside of that, no ghost trails of any kind.

Last edited:

intbal

I never used the BFI feature, let alone know what it is. Never bothered to research it.
Is it under another name?
Outside of that, no ghost trails of any kind.
In the menu:
Game > Response Time > MPRT
It only works at 120hz and above and can't be used at the same time as VRR.

At max refresh rate on PC, it's not so bad. But at 120hz the color trails are pretty exaggerated.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
I bought an LG ultrawide monitor for PC which is one of the best on the market but I wish I got a 32” instead, ultrawide aint for me.

I think the beat 32” is the Acer predator at 1440p. Wish I bought that instead, I kick myself everytime i turn on my monitor. Only thing I’m not sure about is if has hdmi 2.1

Knightime_X

In the menu:
Game > Response Time > MPRT
It only works at 120hz and above and can't be used at the same time as VRR.

At max refresh rate on PC, it's not so bad. But at 120hz the color trails are pretty exaggerated.
I tried with Doom eternal with my PC set to 120hz
I didn't see any ghosting.
I'll send a screenshot later tonight.
DbBzM4x.jpg

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

The only thing that would be close would be the Sony a90k in that size or the Asus. The sony will be better for watching content. The asus would probably be the best for gaming but its more expensive.
Holy shit, that Sony is expensive! It’s nearly a grand and a half. The LG seems to offer by far the best bang for buck, even if it might be little too big. Nothing else offers what I’m after for the price though.

I can get that LG for £900 on Amazon at the minute, or do you think it’s worth waiting a few weeks for Black Friday?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Holy shit, that Sony is expensive! It’s nearly a grand and a half. The LG seems to offer by far the best bang for buck, even if it might be little too big. Nothing else offers what I’m after for the price though.

I can get that LG for £900 on Amazon at the minute, or do you think it’s worth waiting a few weeks for Black Friday?
I don't think it'll come down much more if at all.

NinjaBoiX

I don't think it'll come down much more if at all.
Yeah, I’m actually more concerned that it’ll go up in price if anything, it’s already at a pretty hefty discount! £1400 down to £900.

I’ll sit on it for a few days, I always do before a big purchase. But I’m pretty sure it’s the one I’ll go for.

NinjaBoiX

I’ve just ordered the LG C2 42”, Amazon dropped another £45 off so it’s down to £855, 👌🏼

It’s arriving Thursday, will update with impressions and questions no doubt!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For console gaming you want 4k oled. 42 or 48”
No reason not to get 4k with all the dlss and stuff. You are leaving iq on the table

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For console gaming you want 4k oled. 42 or 48”
No reason not to get 4k with all the dlss and stuff. You are leaving iq on the table
I am looking for a new monitor for a nephew who went to college to replace his 32" crap TV (kind of why I bumped this thread) who simply doesn't have room for a 42" plus the screen will be on all the time doing school work and I dont want him to risk burn in

I think I am leaning towards the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 as not only will he be doing school work but his only gaming will be on the PS5

dont get a curved screen you will regret it.
I had a curved 32" Samsung for quite awhile and once I got used to it I loved it

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am looking for a new monitor for a nephew who went to college to replace his 32" crap TV (kind of why I bumped this thread) who simply doesn't have room for a 42" plus the screen will be on all the time doing school work and I dont want him to risk burn in

I think I am leaning towards the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 as not only will he be doing school work but his only gaming will be on the PS5

I had a curved 32" Samsung for quite awhile and once I got used to it I loved it
ive had one for 2 years now and ive goit used ot it but I still hate it. 🤷‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member

I just bought this....

For my gaming PC as well as for work. It is pretty awesome, I have to say. Watched some youtube reviews and they were all very positive.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I just bought this....

For my gaming PC as well as for work. It is pretty awesome, I have to say. Watched some youtube reviews and they were all very positive.
This was another contender as the price point is great for what you get and pretty sure RTINGS has this display rated very high

Trying to decide if paying the extra for the mini LED HDR is worth it or not

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I just bought this....

That looks nice.

Does it do HDMI standard VRR or freesync or both ?

Topher

Gold Member
That looks nice.

Does it do HDMI standard VRR or freesync or both ?

Does both. What is really nice is that has KVM built in so when I switch video source from my work laptop to my gaming PC my mouse and keyboard change over at the same time. It's pretty slick.

NinjaBoiX

I ended up getting the LG C2 42” by the way, I love it! It’s probably a touch too big for my current needs, but it’s the best spec I could find for the money.

Where’s the best place to go for calibration settings? I have no idea other than “that looks better than it did before”, but that’s a tricky point of reference moving one slider at a time independently of one another.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
These:

By many the reviews I've seen, they seem to have the best picture quality for non-OLED monitors due to good local dimming algorithm.
Best bang for the buck IMO as well. Especially when compared to the super expensive Asus monitors that still suffer from too much light bleed in their array.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So I’ve just got myself a new job that pays pretty well, so I feel like treating myself to a best in class monitor to hook up my Series X and PS5 to. I’ve been slumming it with a fairly mid-range Sony TV for long enough, I’m not doing these consoles justice!

So what’s the best, most future proofed monitor I can get for under £1000? I want all the bells and whistles, here are a list of my must haves:

- HDR
- HDMI 2.1 x 2/3
- VRR
- 1440p (not that fussed about 4K at this size to be honest)
- Super fast response time
- 120hz
- Anything else I might be forgetting!

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos on the subject, and the consensus seems to be to wait a few months. But a lot of those videos are already a few months old.

I also heard that March is as good a time as October to snag a bargain, is that true?

it still sensible to hold out until maybe next year?
If you haven't purchased yet

Top Bottom