• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've All Been Duped by LED LCD's Input Lag vs OLED for Gaming - Here's the Truth

Kuranghi

Showing how meaningless input lag measuring is really, I have a TV with a reported 26ms input lag at 4K60 but it has a GtG 80% PRT of 31ms and the number one factors that determine input lag are still refresh rate and the internal engine lag.

Also my TV is 46ms at 1080p60 but Metroid Dread feels 10x as responsive as most other games.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Wut.

I have a PC, PS5 and Switch. What in the name of the wee man are you on about lol

If anything should've you have written "LCD owner post"? You'd still be wrong because I also have an OLEG though so suck it.
You have all of those and still got something that can barely run its own games and has its ethernet port gimped by bandwidth issues. I doubt you're who this video is aimed at. Neither you or those consumers you've met.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
LG C7 65" had burn it within 3 months. a full black screen .. isnt anymore.

just go here and watch whatever you like... IT S JUST LIKE PLASMA ALL OVER AGAIN " no it wont burn in if you ______" all BS

Literally, on that very page, Vincent has a video showing no screen burn after six months of constant use and varying content. See what you want to see I guess. I'll take the objective facts thanks.

Can't dupe me, I still want CRTs back
I kinda wonder what CRTs would be like if they were being constantly improved for the past 15 years. They were heavy and bulky as fuck, but I gotta believe they could have figured out ways to make the leaded glass weigh less. Then again, given the need for a vacuum and all that maybe it really is just part of the design and could never be significantly improved.

Kuranghi

They don't though. There is really only the burn-in concern which is often overstated. I guess you could say brightness if you have your tv in a sunroom that would be an issue.

I defininitely wasn't talking about burn-in, thats a non issue except for commerical use and extreme case use like having the same news channel on every day for 16 hours a day.

Theres stutter due such low PRT, near black handling, low large window brightness output leading to less impactful HDR and more. LCD has issues too and one of them is so massive and non existent on OLED so it makes sense why people just say OLED is objectively superior in all areas but its really not.

I also don't think light coming in is an issue for OLED because you can't watch HDR properly with a lit room anyway, regardless of LCD or OLED, I have the one of the brightness LCDs in the world and I can't watch reference HDR with the curtains opens and I live in Scotland so its not exactly beaming down sunshine lol.

edit - removed shitty attitude.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
for about 5 months then burn in and screen uniformity goes to shit.
yeah right.
I had 1200 hours on my lg c1 since march. No burn in, still was amazing
I had it replaced few months ago because of green stuck pixel. No problems on new panel, no bad pixels, no burn in.
LG got very good burn in mitigation tech.

Besides. Having randomized wallpaper, autohide taskbar an black screensaver is little to ask for AMAZING HDR, black levels, colors, no ghosting and so on. To hell with LCDs

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont give a shit about frame rate, VRR, or any of that other pointless meaningless shit. I bought an OLED for the unfuckwithabke PICTURE QUALITY. I play all my games in QUALITY mode at 30fps. Shit is magnificent and the only way these games feel anywhere close to next gen for me

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just because you don't know what they are, doesn't mean they don't exist. Go watch some technical LCD vs. OLED videos.

I defininitely wasn't talking about burn-in either, thats a non issue except for commerical use and extreme case use like having the same news channel on every day for 16 hours a day.

Theres stutter due such low PRT, near black handling, low large window brightness output leading to less impactful HDR and more. LCD has issues too and one of them is so massive and non existent on OLED so it makes sense why people just say OLED is objectively superior in all areas but its really not.

I also don't think light coming in is an issue for OLED because you can't watch HDR properly with a lit room anyway, regardless of LCD or OLED, I have the one of the brightness LCDs in the world and I can't watch reference HDR with the curtains opens and I live in Scotland so its not exactly beaming down sunshine lol.
I have. Oled wins every time. Find me a respected calibrator that chooses lcd over oled. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
You have all of those and still got something that can barely run its own games and has its ethernet port gimped by bandwidth issues. I doubt you're who this video is aimed at. Neither you or those consumers you've met.
The fuck does Switch ethernet have to do with OLED vs LCD?

Kuranghi

I have. Oled wins every time. Fins me a respected calibrator that chooses lcd over oled. I'll wait.

I think we are arguing two different things, you are saying its overall the best given the weighting placed on the difference per pixel dimming makes. I'm just saying there are objectively better things with LCD, games don't need to have completely clean generated frames with no blur because modern games have motion blur, so I think its better to have better 24hz motion at the expense of blurry 60hz motion that you need to cover up the gaps in frames anyway if the game doesn't have motion blur.

For games that don't use blur for obvious reasons then yes its superior in motion, but then theres still large window brightness and near black handling. I'd prefer to have a slightly elevated shadow and see the detail than just not see it or see swirling pixels.

I get where you are coming from and I agree most respected enthusiasts will tell you its the best overall. I'm just objectively comparing each area. Is it possible you have also haven't actually seen HDR on a super high end LCD that isn't a Samsung as well? Fair enough if you have.

Last edited:

TrueLegend

Nope, nearly all OLED in market are garbage and dont display the creator's intention as marketing will have you think. Nearly all reference monitors are LED or Micro-LED. Which is why unless you are getting the sony master series say goodbye to color science and welcome blue tint particularly LG ones likes CX or C1. If you care about picture play on a reference monitor, if you care about response time play on monitor and for blurfree gameplay play on CRT otherwise you ain't getting anything close to the best with TV's except the big experience which is actually the good and main point of playing on a TV. All this stuff is just bullshit.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
We can try and spin it away all we want. It's a very real threat.
Keep trying though!
Even if we ignore the testimonials of OLED users ITT, the C2 is apparently going to feature even more anti-burn in tech. It really will be less and less of an issue as time goes on.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I wish they would fix the burn in problems with oled.
It would be great to have a monitor with such low input lag and no image ghosting.

S0ULZB0URNE

Even if we ignore the testimonials of OLED users ITT, the C2 is apparently going to feature even more anti-burn in tech. It really will be less and less of an issue as time goes on.
Testimonies?
A simple google search shows COUNTLESS pictures and videos of burn in and countless HORROR stories.

It's inherited to the organic tech and can't be fixed after all these years.

My OLED is definitely a much cleaner image than my LCD and this would be part of the reason.

I would never dream of going back to LCD now as OLED true black is what I've wanted in a TV my whole adult live but there is still a lot of room for improvement over OLED with whatever comes next. My wife just accepts that I will buy a new TV every few years so hopefully there is something nice on the horizon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom