• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Western games vs eastern games

What type of games do you prefer when it comes to where they were developed?

• Most of my favorite games are western developed games

Votes: 72 31.7%
  • Most of my favorite games are eastern developed games

Votes: 77 33.9%
  • Don't care, I'll play anything

Votes: 73 32.2%
  • I only play the finest slav jank available

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

Impotaku

I could never just do with only one region there's too much i'd miss, no region provides everything i need. When i read people in the thread saying they only stick to one region they must have the most boring tastes in games to be satisfied with such a small pool of games. I get through games like air, at least one a week or more depending on my purchase list.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
What kind of bizarre question is this? So disrespectful, since pretty much every single great game was made by Western devs. Bethesda is West, Rockstar is West, all of the best studios are from the West.

I can't even think of a single quality AAA game from the East tbh. All those FFs, Res Evils, Marios, Pony adventures by eastern studios are AA low effort games at best.
Dude it's fine if you call me disrespectful, but don't it just before shitting on all the classic japanes games. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I know a lot of great games have come from the west, some of my favorite developers are Bethesda or id Software. But I think that the output of truly great games (at least according to my tastes) has been much lower than in the 90's or 00's.

Daymos

Japanese games for me. I love rpgs and no one has time to keep up with BOTH jrpgs and wrpgs.. not enough hours between game releases, not to mention historically important games that I should play (like I'll play all the Ys games and xenogears but no time for fallout2, witcher1, planetscape torment, etc.)

Starfield will probably be awesome but I'm prepared to ignore it and play elden ring, final fantasy 16, dragon quest 3 (remake), Zelda botw2, trails to zero, etc. instead.

Last edited:

Woggleman

One issue I have with Japanese kind of games is that in recent years they have become a little too cutesy. What happened to taking inspiration from darker kind of animes like Akira?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Thanks for taking the time to vote! It seems we have a very diverse array of tastes and preferences here in gaf, which is great news.

There also seem to be 4 people that only play S.T.A.L.K.E.R and HROT on a daily basis. I salute you.

Eastern developed games from when I was 5 to about when I turned 21, but 21 to 40 it’s primarily been western games. I’ll dabble in a Eastern developed game every now and then on gamepass.

JRPG’s definitely don’t hold my attention anymore. Back in the day it was cool, cool cartoons in my video games etc etc. now i could care less.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Good point on the best Samurai game being made by west dev.

Damn the actors don't even look even remotely similar to game chars. How do you fail so bad, unless it was intentional.

Its intentional as many times they want to use the actor as the base and work off of that vs make it 1.1. Many times its just based on what the art director or character artist is going for.

Dude it's fine if you call me disrespectful, but don't it just before shitting on all the classic japanes games.

the deep lolz. You probably should have not made those comments about the west, a lot of what you said can apply to Japanese games and a lot of it even originated in Japan. It was probably best to just leave it open for the thread to decide vs force a few or bias right in the opening or something as you can find bad design or things you disagree with in gaming from any country in the world.

I don't even think you can find 1 thing that exist solely in 1 country that you'd say is bad that couldn't be applied to Japan. Probably would have been better off just saying you like this type of game design vs another type as opposed to east vs west.

Eastern developed games from when I was 5 to about when I turned 21, but 21 to 40 it’s primarily been western games. I’ll dabble in a Eastern developed game every now and then on gamepass.

JRPG’s definitely don’t hold my attention anymore. Back in the day it was cool, cool cartoons in my video games etc etc. now i could care less.

With JRPGs I'm much more selective now then any other time, only a few IP have day 1 purchases for me compared to the west where some teams are much more open about making new IP, concepts etc

You can see it from how the AC open world titles are viewed compared to FFXV, generally from what I've seen the AC direction is more viewed favorable and FFXV has its own hate club lol Then again that might be more do to the whole 10 year development, moving systems, fans obsessing over trailers and making fanfiction out of 30 seconds lol It seems like regardless of east or west, you'll see some fanbases foam at the mouth with rage on any type of change

These days western. I feel like a lot of japanese companies haven’t been able to keep up in terms of innovation or big graphical throughout the years.

The japanese companies that are still up there are really western influenced also

Last edited:

Bakkus

90% Japanese games to be honest. That's not to say the west doesn't have good games, because they absolutely do.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Depends on my mood and what I'm itching to play. Looking at my playlist this year, I'm about 55/45 in favor of eastern games.

SSfox

Japanese games has just some kind of iconic aura that a lot of western lack, i love western games of course, some of them are some of the best game of all time, GOW franchise from the first one on PS2, RDR, Classic Tomb Raider games by CORE, loved the first 2 Gear Of War as well, love also some Mortal Kombat games of course, Skyrim was great and few more (even tho you had to wait a year so they fix most bugs, yes most cause there are some that has never been fix) but Japanese games if i start to list of the games it just won't end, i mean MGS, Tekken, DMC, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Ico, SOTC, Souls franchise, Zelda games, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame Bayonetta (specially 1), Nier, Persona, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy ect ect ect.

Something also you notice is Japanese games there are a lot of variety on their games whatever the subject, the character design are usually more innovative and the gameplay is also not samey in most games, in western games in general is that they look a lot alike, at to this the level of polish that is always way above that what you find in western games in general (never been a Cyberpunk or Fallout 76 case in a japanese RPG, heck Skyrim had a hardcore buttugly bug that still was never fixed even when they release the GOTY edition), most of the time it's shooter game either FPS or TPS, add to this the whole drama over some woke shit, i mean western games weren't my favorite (as i said except some exceptions), but nowaydays it's even less my favorite, honestly i just hope that Japanese gaming devs will stay away from this toxic way of making games. And just keep making games the way they always did.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

I can't even think of a Japanese game I have played in the last 20 years. I think Majora's Mask is probably my most recent Japanese game.

EDMIX

Japanese games has just some kind of iconic aura that a lot of western lack

lol nahhhhh thats called nostalgia and its based on the users experience, it has nothing to do with anything some other game developer can copy, support, correct or anything like that.

Thats like saying a fucking hotdog at the state fair um "has some kind of iconic aura that a lot of burgers just LACK" lol

Some one some where is saying some shit like " Western games has just some kind of iconic aura that a lot of eastern lack". If that is something you are fond of, you'll see it as iconic, that isn't a quantifiable thing that anyone can just copy or put in a game.

Thats a you thing bud. Seeing anything as iconic is based on the user...

Something also you notice is Japanese games there are a lot of variety on their games whatever the subject,

There is a lot of variety in gaming period....that isn't something locked to east or west.

in western games in general is that they look a lot alike

You can say this about a shit ton of Anime type games, big eyes, purple hair lol This is just a different side of the same coin. You have generic shit on both sides...

most of the time it's shooter game either FPS or TPS

Its like saying most of the times with Japaneses games it some anime looking person with a sword lol The most popular in the west might be just as common as the most popular in the east in terms of many like em, as you'll see many chase Call Of Duty here, but you'll see a fucking ton of anime looking person with sword on journey in Japan, so not much is really that wildly different and they both have their generic tropes

Top Bottom