• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welp- Someone stole my Nintendo Switch

Dr. Suchong

I left my psp with gow ghost of sparta in my backpack inside a bus in amsterdam,so not technically stolen, more like a stoned gift from me to whoever finded my backpack.

Inside there was also 2 ganja muffins, the motherfucker probably had the time of his life...
Similar story for me.
Left my psp with GnG in a Taxi when I was drunk.

sircaw

Banned
Thanks! :)

Nothing seems touched at all. No broken windows or seemingly anything even remotely out of place. It's like the Switch just...disappeared.

Thankfully, I know someone has it and was using it to play games, because my profile showed up as logged in on my roommate's Switch and whoever it was had changed my normal "Ailynn Mii" avatar pic to a Princess Zelda icon. That's when I knew I hadn't simply misplaced it.
Do you own a Cat, untrustworthy bastards IMO.

check litter Tray.

Ps, hate thieves, sorry it was stolen.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
nintendo switch stolen?
9Bb.gif

just kidding............... but it might be the nephews who stole it

Mabdia

Once in 90's my Master System was stolen alongside with my father's Volkswagen Beetle.

But have someone invading your home and stolen is way worse. That really sucks! I feel for you.

ZoukGalaxy

Sorry for this, that's really a horrible feeling to be stolen :(
By the way that's really strange to steal only a Switch.
May I recommend you to invest in some IP camera in your house, you definitively need some of them.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I got my Switch stolen last year but its a much stupider story:

Flatmate travels up and down on train to see mother at family home a couple of times a year, we were talking about him playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and he (begrudingly, because he was worried about losing/damaging it 🤦‍♂️) took the Switch with him. Long story short he fell asleep on the train and some cunt stole it out of his bag. I lost the Switch, my saves (no backup), some fun photos and vids from SMO playthrough, SMO and MK8D. The rest were digital copies luckily. He realised at 1am when he went to play it and phoned me in a massive tizzy and I was like "well it sucks but what are we gonna do at 1am, I'm trying to get to sleep, phone the train company tomorrow and file a lost/stolen luggage report" lol.

I think they just stole it to pawn because nothing was purchased or changed in my account even though it was linked to my PayPal and they could've spent thousands in the time between when it happened and he realised (9 hours at least). Maybe they were put off by the lack of shopping cart ha.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I had left my PSP in my bag on an intercity bus, didn't check if anything was missing from it when I left the bus. So it was stolen with Crisis Core.

Jada_Li

Banned
Sorry about your stolen Nintendo Switch. Personally, I would not rule out anyone, not even family because sometimes it is the one or ones you least expect. Of course that is not always the case but sometimes it is and I found that out when my best friend had stolen something from me. I literally never suspected them. But I forgave them and we were right back to being best friends because other than that incident they have been a great friend and I valued their friendshp too much over something forgivable. Especially when they were remorseful and I did get a honest motive of why and it made me sad but appreciate them all the more.

=======

I don't remember exactly when this was but likely around when Batman Arkham Knight came out. I was playing that game for a while and sometimes my Dad would usually see me and ask about it. Well, one day he invited a visitor to the house though it was a short visit and I was in my room the whole time while apparently my Dad left them to their own devices for a short while. At the time I had all the games lined up in a display like you would see in a game store except actual games inside because we rarely ever get visitors for me to think about theft. Well eventually I put the game up in the case and never thought about it until my Dad said he visited someone's apartment and saw them playing the same game. That doesn't necessarily mean anything but my Dad said he was the one at the house and asked me to go check to see if I had the game. I checked and it was gone...just the case but no game disc inside. So my Dad told his mother and she asked where he got the game from and he admitted he stole it from the house. I did end up getting the game disc back thanks to my Dad's intuition. The game disc was still in great condition too, no fingerprints or scratches so that also was a relieve. I was happy, grateful and surprised because usually most stolen items are just gone for good.

BigBooper

That sucks. Missing the stolen stuff sucks, but the invasion of your home is usually worse. I hope that Mario loving scum has a change of heart and comes to apologize.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Comes down to locking your doors for the sake of gaming discussion consoles should have a track feature like iPhones since they already have pro versions like phones “Find my Console” app.

Jdroop

My Xbox 360 got stolen out of my house. They didn’t even take the power brick lol that was annoying. waited in line like 10 hours at bestbuy for it.

BigBooper

I'm missing context here, but I'll let you know if she ends up being the culprit! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

That's the thing, really...we hardly ever have anyone in our house. The only people I can think of were a couple of AC unit repairmen before the Switch even vanished, and a lady that comes and cleans every so often. She's super nice and we've used her services for over a year and there was never even the tiniest thing ever missing before.

My two little nephews came over for a couple of hours about a week ago, but they don't even care about videogames whatsoever and would have no idea who Zelda even is. I would be absolutely shocked if it was one of them. They're good boys. :)

Our main suspicion is our next door neighbor, but that's only because they are kind of party people who can be a little loud and rowdy sometimes. Maybe they could have snuck in, but it's weird that they would ONLY take the Switch as there was plenty of other valuables in sight...and I don't see how anyone could have snuck in without us hearing.

I'm honestly at a loss. It could have been friggin' GANONDORF for all I know. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:
Ooh, maybe the cleaning lady has a son or niece she brought with her that took it without her knowing. Might be worth asking.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My switch fell out of my backpack in an airport once and some people ran me down and gave it back to me.

I did get some cash stolen out of my vehicle in my old neighborhood. Woke up to leave for work and noticed my car had been rifled through and the cash I kept in my dash for emergencies was gone. It was about $350.

I can’t find some of my old NES games, I don’t know where they went because I have all of my stuff. So someone must have kept them when I loaned them to them.

Old Retro

This was a thief who had eyes only for that tasty Nintendo goodness.

Maybe they just couldn't resist the taste of a delicious Switch? (that sounds like a cereal commercial)

I have had stuff stolen and it's not fun. 😡 Good luck getting your Switch it back. Maybe put some security cameras with a DVR around your place?

Sleepwalker

When I was a kid someone broke into our house and stole a bunch of shit, including my N64 with all my games, I was heartbroken.

Pretty sure a neighbor kid also stole my gameboy color in that same house.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Thank you! Yeah, I was thankfully able to use the Nintendo account website to reset my password, log out of all sessions, and remove any credit card information off of there.

Now just to call Nintendo customer support tomorrow during business hours to report it stolen.
I wonder what Nintendo does in situations like this? Can they brick the console? I’m assuming that’s exactly what they will do.

Also it sounds like they just grabbed the unit itself and not the dock? So they’ll only really be able to play for a few hours before they have to go purchase a fairly expensive charger anyway. Very bizarre.

V4skunk

Banned
Thank you! Yeah, I was thankfully able to use the Nintendo account website to reset my password, log out of all sessions, and remove any credit card information off of there.

Now just to call Nintendo customer support tomorrow during business hours to report it stolen.
Shouldn't you have called the police?

LQX

When I was kid I had an Atari Lynx. That thing was fucking beautiful and amazing. Had a British friend of a friend who asked to borrow it for a bit, and the fucker went back to Europe with it like that same day. The fucker was so nice and pleasant sounding and fucking stole my shit. All these years later and I'm still not over it as I never got another Lynx to replace it. The worst part is every time I hear a British accent it fucking reminds me of that day. Harry Potter and countless other shit with British accents trigger me.

I have no idea where my red 2DS with Pokemon went. Probably a coworker stole it. Went and bought a white 2DS. Never played them once. Just bought it to support
1920px-AlphaDream_logo.svg.png
, but Nintendo let them die. So Nintendo is dead to me.

Isa

I think the real culprit might be Wario. He always buggers off with the valuables, and I hear he's prepped for a new mission soon.

Sincerely sorry for your loss. I lost a GI Joe once, just after Christmas break, the teachers would have us bring in something special to show and tell. Well during first recess I came back to find my dude swapped with some 70's figure without the bike he had. I know who did it and reported it to the teacher but she didn't do anything about it. Really sucked, knowing people won't do anything or care for that matter. Learned my lesson, and I don't trust anybody, save for my girl and even then...

I do recommend CCTV cameras if at all possible.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My bet is on the kids. They saw it, they decided they wanted it, and took it.
Even more likely if they aren't little, say 6-12.
The cleaning person is next likely, but I would say a lot less probability since nothing disappeared fir a year. 98% chance it was one of those 2.

51e7d2d0d448bf663863a067041911f1.gif

60008f3c5d6b3c037e218efd66c17f87235c1840_hq.gif

Thankfully we still have a second Nintendo Switch, so I'll still be able to play Metroid Dread this October.

I'm not even mad really; more disturbed if anything. The reason is that my Switch never leaves my home and is docked 99% of the time. So, someone was in our house and walked away with it. Nothing else was missing...not even a few pieces of jewelry and a couple of gift cards which were easily in view near the Switch that was stolen.

So, has anyone else here ever had a videogame console stolen from you? Maybe a computer or cellphone? Anything else expensive? "lollipop_disappointed:

(Hopefully not!)
So it stolen out of your house, dont you have inssoures

Thankfully we still have a second Nintendo Switch, so I'll still be able to play Metroid Dread this October.

I'm not even mad really; more disturbed if anything. The reason is that my Switch never leaves my home and is docked 99% of the time. So, someone was in our house and walked away with it. Nothing else was missing...not even a few pieces of jewelry and a couple of gift cards which were easily in view near the Switch that was stolen.

So, has anyone else here ever had a videogame console stolen from you? Maybe a computer or cellphone? Anything else expensive? "lollipop_disappointed:

(Hopefully not!)
I'am sorry for you, do you know what happend to me?
I was a day on the beach, wen i came home later in the evening my TV, Playstation4, 2 controlers and all my 60 PS4 games where stolen, they had put a wire trough my letterbox opened the front door and toke it all like a thief in the night.
The wire was still hanging on the inside of the frontdoor.
I was pissed for a whole week...

Kataploom

Gold Member

(Hopefully not!)
A Nintendo DS... from a cousing and I couldn't even do shit cause when I realized, it was too late to complain with no proof :(

ThaGuy

The thing is is that Nintendo could easily alert the authorities when someone logs in the switch. I take it that you added your serial number to the Nintendo site for insurance purposes. As soon as that system logs on the server, it could ping that was a stolen system. But that's in a ideal world sad to say.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member

(Hopefully not!)

It was probably the coons that stole it.

thief GIF

Grechy34

(Hopefully not!)

Dude, who was in your house?

TheGrat1

So it stolen out of your house, dont you have inssoures

I'am sorry for you, do you know what happend to me?
I was a day on the beach, wen i came home later in the evening my TV, Playstation4, 2 controlers and all my 60 PS4 games where stolen, they had put a wire trough my letterbox opened the front door and toke it all like a thief in the night.
The wire was still hanging on the inside of the frontdoor.
I was pissed for a whole week...
clever-girl-jurassic-park.gif

drotahorror

My bet is on the kids. They saw it, they decided they wanted it, and took it.
Even more likely if they aren't little, say 6-12.
The cleaning person is next likely, but I would say a lot less probability since nothing disappeared fir a year. 98% chance it was one of those 2.

Pretty much this.

No thief broke in, stole a Switch and nothing else.

I can't recall having anything game-related stolen from me. I was a punk when I was a teenager though and I may have stole a couple of systems 20 or so years ago.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Brand new PC (including m/k and 27" 144 hz 1440p display) + Oculus Rift + the tv + 5 Xbox One controller. Thankfully my PS4 was with me.

The rest is not gaming related but that wasn't the only things.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Wow I thought you were going to say you had out it in public portably and you let it alone on a park bench or something for just a minute and someone snatched it. The fact that someone broke into your home only to steal your switch is pretty fucking weird. Although that sucks, I’m glad nothing more important or irreplaceable was stolen.

Makes me think it’s someone young. No grown man is going to break into someone’s home and just steal a switch. Possibly even a neighbor who knew your place was going to be vacant for a short time.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Brand new PC (including m/k and 27" 144 hz 1440p display) + Oculus Rift + the tv + 5 Xbox One controller. Thankfully my PS4 was with me.

The rest is not gaming related but that wasn't the only things.
god damn son , did you catch those assholes?

Porcile

I left a constantly malfunctioning gen 2 iPod and a pack of Haribo in my coat pocket in a university classroom and someone stole the iPod and ate half of the Haribo. If you are reading this then I haven't forgiven you for eating my Haribo you scumbag.

Then the thief stepped it up and walked out the university with an entire iMac. They had balls.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
god damn son , did you catch those assholes?

No, and I travel a lot for work so I wasn't there. I got the news by a friend to whom I had left a key.
The gendarmes (policeman? officers? I'm French so I don't know how to say) came to take pictures, have a look etc while I was coming back to file a complaint.
The burglars spilled my alcohol bottles on the walls, searched my closets and spread them all over the place or stole them in other things, just to give you an idea of how bad it was.
When I finally arrived, I went to the police station to file that complaint, but they almost accused me of traffic because they have found 1g of weed (for real) which is prohibited in France.
Not only that, they also said that my place was a squat (it wasn't, my home was checked almost everyday by my mom or my friend), the fact that I have a very good situation and no criminal record didn't made a difference.
So in the end, my complaint has been classified and the insurance only reimbursed me for the broken pane, while the glass door has been destroyed.

Shit happens

Top Bottom