• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well this looks 'promising'...

Whitecrow

Banned
Im only 32 years old.
Yesterday at dinner time I went to the doctor for some out of normal pain spikes in throat and chest. I went only for they to tell me that that was not heart related (I thought that it was just gas).
Told me, after some checkings, that it was pure anxiety.

Ok. So guess what. It's not anxiety. I took 5mg of diazepan before going to bed and 5 hours later here I am. Pain didnt go away one bit.
It hurts a bit when breathing, a lot when swallowing, and also a bit when moving my neck.

I guess doctors will tell me in a few hours, but I think I must salute cancer.
And I need something to cope so here I am making this thread.

With some luck, it's only a weird inflamation of... something, and after going to the doctor I will come here and say sorry... but the pain is telling me that this may be something serious. Fuck.

Do you think I should wake up my parents? I think I should but I hate the ideaof waiting : /

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Hope everything turns out normal. I would advise against googling everything, you will almost always find the worst cases and it'll add to your anxiety. Wait until you hear from your doctor and even get second opinions if you have to. Also, make sure you have the most updated blood work as well. You may have to request a specific type of blood test to be ordered, but let your doctor(s) know about all your concerns first.

Unfortunately this is something I've had to deal with extensively for a loved one, but stay positive and don't add extra anxiety to yourself. It may very well be you not reacting well to the medication, but definitely listen to what your doctor(s) say first and foremost.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

If it’s cancer and it’s detected early your odds are at 90%+. People still assume cancer is a death sentence and chemo treatment makes you squirm in pain for days to no end - it’s a myth, there are tens of not hundreds of ways to treat cancer, depending on the stage and where it is located.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.

Last edited:
Im only 32 years old.
Yesterday at dinner time I went to the doctor for some out of normal pain spikes in throat and chest. I went only for they to tell me that that was not heart related (I thought that it was just gas).

Ok. So guess what. It's not anxiety. I took 5mg of diazepan before going to bed and 5 hours later here I am. Pain didnt go away one bit.
It hurts a bit when breathing, a lot when swallowing, and also a bit when moving my neck.

With some luck, it's only a weird inflamation of... something, and after going to the doctor I will come here and say sorry... but the pain is telling me that this may be something serious. Fuck.

Do you think I should wake up my parents? I think I should but I hate the ideaof waiting : /

I can't give medical advice in this setting, but did you consider the idea of GERD? Why jump to cancer?

bitbydeath

It could just as easily be Covid or some other flu. Does your family have a history of cancer, is that why it’s on your mind?

Whitecrow

Banned
If it’s cancer and it’s detected early your odds are at 90%+. People still assume cancer is a death sentence and chemo treatment makes you squirm in pain for days to no end - it’s a myth, there are tens of not hundreds of ways to treat cancer, depending on the stage and where it is located.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details.
I'm not particularly afraid of throat cancer, relating to death. I know that if it's the case, most probably I will recover, but still... it's cancer : D I would laugh hard if it's that. And I'm not even sure why.
About the pain for days... I have no idea. Anyways, what it needs to recover, I will have to endure.
Did you get the vax recently
Nope. Months passed since the last shot. A was worried sick about that a few days ago... but I'm good now : )
I can't give medical advice in this setting, but did you consider the idea of GERD? Why jump to cancer?
That's a great question.
Because I'm dumb I supose. I dont know what kind of pain GERD produces, and I didnt think about it. It's like, this pain is as rare as a throat cancer at my age.
GERD looks also like a good contender tho.
It could just as easily be Covid or some other flu. Does your family have a history of cancer, is that why it’s on your mind?
My mom had breast cancer and went through it like a champion. I'm not aware of any family history of cancer as such. But as I've said, cancer is in my mind because my mind wants to think about it, I dont find any other explanation.

Last edited:

Macattk15

Had the same problem. Ended up being GERD as another said.

Pain across my chest at about the heart level and not so much pain in my throat, but an odd feeling of something always feeling it was stuck in it ... or burning.

Whitecrow

Banned
Had the same problem. Ended up being GERD as another said.

Pain across my chest at about the heart level and not so much pain in my throat, but an odd feeling of something always feeling it was stuck in it ... or burning.
I feel the stuck... but no burning. And also, primarly on the throat. Not too much on the chest : S

lifa-cobex

You're jumping the gun by thinking cancer.

Having it at 32 is very unlikely unless your smoking a pack of lighters a day.
Not impossible but the odds lean heavily the other way.

But I get it as I do the same.
Any issues i get and it pops into mind.

Chronicle

Im only 32 years old.

You say it's not anxiety yet you made the thread to cope. That's anxiety

Whitecrow

Banned
Its not anxiety because the pill I took for it did absolutely nothing...
Thats why I thought it must be another thing and thats why I try to cope for

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I hate myself for making fun of you in this situation, but I have to say your avatar couldn’t be more fitting.

Pain in that area could be related to a wide variety of things. Chances are high it’s not cancer and it’s something easily treatable.

KrakenIPA

Alleviating pain is important, but managing throat/mouth pain can be difficult. I hate to say it, but please drink water, and rest!

ahtlas7

Do not discount anxiety. It can manifest in many ways which one pill will not fix. Anxiety can affect your throat and best thing you can do, right now, is calm down and listen to your dr because jumping to extreme conclusions will dump fuel on your anxiety.

in my experience anxiety doesn't cause physical pain (especially in your throat). at worst a sickness or cramp in your stomach, a racing heart beat, and/or difficulty catching your breath. very unpleasant but not anything worrying/life threatening.

if you're struggling to breathe, as in you think you're going to pass out, or in moderate to severe pain then go right back to your doctor, go to a hospital, or in worst case call an ambulance.

if diazepam doesn't calm you down you are either fucking severely stressed or it is NOT anxiety. only time in my life i have took diazepam is the day or week after my dad died... so a major life changing event. if i took diazepam during my usual anxiety episodes i'd be cool as a fucking cucumber.

of course everyone is different but please don't listen to one doctor's opinion. they are great, smart, intelligent people but still humans and prone to making mistakes. i'm sure you're fine but if you feel worried then there is absolutely no harm or shame in getting checked out again by someone else.

edit: i've had many "cancer" scares over the years and it's turned out not to be cancer. of course cancer exists so you can't rule it out but chances are it's not cancer. it's terrifying to think that you might have it and so our brain automatically jumps to "Oh it's cancer". i don't have experience with it but i do have experience with it "not being cancer" lol. my understanding is that cancer doesn't just appear one day. if it's cancer you'll start to notice changes in your body. a pain in your body is a symptom but more than likely you're got an infection/virus. don't underestimate how nasty and severe infections/viruses can be. they are no joke and will fuck you up for fun but you'll get over them in a few days/weeks (or months...).

waiting on results is a nightmare but try keep yourself busy and your mind off it. it's easier said than done i know but you gotta try. again if you don't feel you're being taken seriously or don't trust what you're being told then get checked out again and again and again. last time i was sick i literally thought i was dying and spoke to like 5 medical professionals. turned out it was just a really fucking bad infection.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Sounds like heart burn / acid reflux to me

What does heartburn feel like?​

Heartburn typically feels like a burning in the center of your chest, behind your breastbone. When you have heartburn, you may also feel symptoms like:

• A burning feeling in your chest that can last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.
  • Pain in your chest when you bend over or lay down.
  • A burning feeling in your throat.
  • A hot, sour, acidic or salty taste in the back of your throat.
  • Difficulty swallowing

/shrug

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I have an appointment for tomorrow.

I would think 100% that is acid reflux, but it's weird because I only feel pain, not any burning sensation or weird taste.

I wont think about it until the appointment tomorrow.

Thank you all for helping me chill out a bit. I'll update tomorrow : )

lifa-cobex

I have an appointment for tomorrow.

I would think 100% that is acid reflux, but it's weird because I only feel pain, not any burning sensation or weird taste.

I wont think about it until the appointment tomorrow.

Thank you all for helping me chill out a bit. I'll update tomorrow : )
It can feel like that.
Just a weird lump in your throat.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
First and foremost, get off Webmd. There is a reason Doctors go to school as long as they do, and spend as much as they do on education.
Secondly, I hope you are okay.
And third, sounds like some of my acid reflux flare ups, but again, let the doctor figure you out. Good luck

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Im only 32 years old.

Get it checked out first. I went through a rough patch in 2012 and had throbbing chest pain. Went to E.R. as I figured it was my heart. It was constochondritus (forgive my poor spelling). They ran X-rays to be sure but stated that by treating the stress and anxiety, it'd ease off naturally. Never even knew it existed prior to that.

anthony2690

Banned
Wishing you all the best op, I know what it is like to worry, especially after reading stuff on the internet, it can make you incredibly anxious, especially when you don't feel right.

I hope it's nothing serious and something trivial, that you'll laugh about in the future :)

Trilobit

Its not anxiety because the pill I took for it did absolutely nothing...
Thats why I thought it must be another thing and thats why I try to cope for

I had severe anxiety some time ago and tried several different pills that didn't help until I got one much stronger. Just saying that there are pills that can do nothing for anxiety because we're all unique.

Hopefully you get answers tomorrow. :)

Kenpachii

Sounds like heart burn / acid reflux to me

What does heartburn feel like?​

Heartburn typically feels like a burning in the center of your chest, behind your breastbone. When you have heartburn, you may also feel symptoms like:

• A burning feeling in your chest that can last anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.
  • Pain in your chest when you bend over or lay down.
  • A burning feeling in your throat.
  • A hot, sour, acidic or salty taste in the back of your throat.
  • Difficulty swallowing

/shrug

One point i had my left arm hurting like hell and my chest. Though i was getting a heart attack. Went to hospital was heartburn.

That shit can really fuck you up.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Im only 32 years old.

Who prescribed you the diazepam? Only it’s suppose to be taken three times a day for anxiety, not just once. One 5mg ain’t gonna do shit for chronic anxiety. And you shouldn’t even be on a benzo for anxiety anyway, if it’s chronic. You should be on an anti anxiety med like citalopram or sertraline.

Last edited:

Tams

Im only 32 years old.

You're not going to drop dead in the next few hours, so hold your horses until you get any results back.

You're parents aren't going to be happy if you wake them up because you're paranoid.

Geez.

Whitecrow

Banned
Get it checked out first. I went through a rough patch in 2012 and had throbbing chest pain. Went to E.R. as I figured it was my heart. It was constochondritus (forgive my poor spelling). They ran X-rays to be sure but stated that by treating the stress and anxiety, it'd ease off naturally. Never even knew it existed prior to that.

Can I have your stuff?

Wishing you all the best op, I know what it is like to worry, especially after reading stuff on the internet, it can make you incredibly anxious, especially when you don't feel right.

I hope it's nothing serious and something trivial, that you'll laugh about in the future :)
I used to read things on the internet long time ago, in part due to how curious my mind is. Had my fair share of moments when I thought I had a lot of things I read. But it was always a new symptom I didnt had before that had me looking for answers.

Now is just more of that. I pain I never had, and a aparently missdiagnose by doctors. Hypochondria does that...

One point i had my left arm hurting like hell and my chest. Though i was getting a heart attack. Went to hospital was heartburn.

That shit can really fuck you up.
Im glad to learn this in time. I never felt that.
Anyways, one just cant feel that and not think about the heart. It's only normal to get worried sick if that happens.

Who prescribed you the diazepam? Only it’s suppose to be taken three times a day for anxiety, not just once. One 5mg ain’t gonna do shit for chronic anxiety. And you shouldn’t even be on a benzo for anxiety anyway, if it’s chronic. You should be on an anti anxiety med like citalopram or sertraline.
I had severe anxiety some time ago and tried several different pills that didn't help until I got one much stronger. Just saying that there are pills that can do nothing for anxiety because we're all unique.

Hopefully you get answers tomorrow. :)

Honestly, I've never been prescribed more than 5mg of diazepam. The only other treatment I had for anxiety (and another whole lot of things) where SSRIs, which for one reason or another, never liked how they made me feel.
Even that time when I had a serious bloodpresure increase with palpitations, doctors gave me 5 mg under the tongue. I only weight 60kg. I imagine thats the reason. So I never thought that I needed more than that...
Reading your posts is kind of eye-opening.

You're not going to drop dead in the next few hours, so hold your horses until you get any results back.

You're parents aren't going to be happy if you wake them up because you're paranoid.

Geez.
I wont deny I sound (am?) stupid, but I cant help it. I worry. It's my thing : D
I might have an excuse tho, the fkn adhd. With the inhability to regulate my emotions as well as non adhd, bad things stays on my mind longer than they should. It's no fun : (

Fortunately I can come there, ask for help, and get some wise words, which I thank you all for < 3

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Highly unlikely its cancer, stop reading the internet. Throat inflammation is most likely the cause. If you have heartburns often or acid reflux that may trigger it, or could be just the start of a nasty flu. Make sure your temps are good.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Honestly, I've never been prescribed more than 5mg of diazepam. The only other treatment I had for anxiety (and another whole lot of things) where SSRIs, which for one reason or another, never liked how they made me feel.
Even that time when I had a serious bloodpresure increase with palpitations, doctors gave me 5 mg under the tongue. I only weight 60kg. I imagine thats the reason. So I never thought that I needed more than that...

Do you feel like you suffer from anxiety most of the time? If you were prescribed an SSRI at some point, it sounds like you might. There are other anti-anxiety meds you can try like the older tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, or tetracyclic like mirtazapine. SSRIs are most certainly not for everybody. You also need to give whatever you're on a good two months to get past the side effects and into the benefits.

And from the sounds of things, it feels to me like you are someone who suffers with anxiety when it comes to health matters (as a tinnitus sufferer that is made worse by anxiety, I can sympathise). Don't worry about things like cancer. Anxiety can cause so many physical problems - definitely including things like acid reflux, heart burn, pains in the chest etc. Try not to worry too much about serious illness, but do research further into help for anxiety. Chances are the doctors are right about that, but you haven't found the treatment that works for you yet.

Last edited:

Mistake

Most likely heartburn or gas. They can produce all kinds of symptoms, and anxiety makes it feel a lot worse, so it’s better you stay off the internet. Once I thought I was having a heart attack with severe chest pains, but it was just gas :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Trilobit

It can take time to find the best medication if one needs it.

But to me it was also very important to eat healthy food, not eat/drink as much sugar/caffeine, sleep well and, most importantly, exercise regularly. Doing those things remove so much stress and anxiety and help you be more calm. The body affects the mind and vice versa.

CBT also helped me to stop overthinking and to not be as anxious about life.

Whitecrow

Banned
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint but... looks like its pharyngitis...
I feel like this is too much pain for a thing like that... but after all the tests they did to me, I cant disagree. They gave me antibiotics for 3 days. Lets see how it goes.
Yes, you can say it. Your so dumb OP. I'll take it.

Do you feel like you suffer from anxiety most of the time? If you were prescribed an SSRI at some point, it sounds like you might. There are other anti-anxiety meds you can try like the older tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, or tetracyclic like mirtazapine. SSRIs are most certainly not for everybody. You also need to give whatever you're on a good two months to get past the side effects and into the benefits.

And from the sounds of things, it feels to me like you are someone who suffers with anxiety when it comes to health matters (as a tinnitus sufferer that is made worse by anxiety, I can sympathise). Don't worry about things like cancer. Anxiety can cause so many physical problems - definitely including things like acid reflux, heart burn, pains in the chest etc. Try not to worry too much about serious illness, but do research further into help for anxiety. Chances are the doctors are right about that, but you haven't found the treatment that works for you yet.
I wrote a lenghty response here, but I dont wanna bore you with details. I wouldnt say I have chronic anxiety. I would say that dysthymia, adhd and anhedonia, is what is playing tricks on me more than anything.
I never feel like I'm lacking breath, I dont have palpitations, or anything like that. I would say that the thing I feel the most, is fear of being unable to get my life together. That makes me feel bad, but not anxious.
But on the other side, anxiety may be just hidden with all the copium. So who knows.

It can take time to find the best medication if one needs it.

But to me it was also very important to eat healthy food, not eat/drink as much sugar/caffeine, sleep well and, most importantly, exercise regularly. Doing those things remove so much stress and anxiety and help you be more calm. The body affects the mind and vice versa.

CBT also helped me to stop overthinking and to not be as anxious about life.
I'm doing my best of the healthy food thing. As much as I can. Still long way to go.
Again, dont wanna bore with innecessary details. I might try CBT tho, lots of people talk good about it.

Honestly this thread went beyond what I had or not. I always like to talk about mental health, it always helps. I learned a few useful things here. So thank you for that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
“pharyngitis” means ”sore throat, we dont know why but it will probably clear up”. It’s a catch-all. Happened to me a few months ago. Cleared up in like 5 days. They gave you antibiotics but they probably shouldnt have, unless you tested positive for strep, in which case you would have been diagnosed with strep not pharyngitis.

The fact that you immediately went to cancer is concerning. Instead of finding random weird substances to put in your body you might want to consider talking to someone professionally going forward.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
“pharyngitis” means ”sore throat, we dont know why but it will probably clear up”. It’s a catch-all. Happened to me a few months ago. Cleared up in like 5 days. They gave you antibiotics but they probably shouldnt have, unless you tested positive for strep, in which case you would have been diagnosed with strep not pharyngitis.

The fact that you immediately went to cancer is concerning. Instead of finding random weird substances to put in your body you might want to consider talking to someone professionally going forward.
I'll probably wont take the antibiotics if it keeps calming down like today.

I dont understand the bolded. You mean therapy (I'm on it), or you mean find better doctors?

george-costanza-lupus.gif

Jinzo Prime

I'm glad you are going to be okay. I think that anyone who is feeling completely stressed out should vent here safely instead of doing something drastic. Good luck!

Fbh

If you overthink stuff or are generally anxious it's usually not a good idea to google your symptoms. Because it always points to cancer.

You can be like "I sneezed once"
WebMD: "Well....it's probably cancer"

Top Bottom