• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to the Next gen aka RT filmic performance

TrueLegend

Remember when God of War Ragnarok trailer dropped and DF was like 'Meh looks like crossgen', member when people said it looks like PS4 game so whatever, member developer saying you know what it is, and member when the game dropped you payed the game start to finish and then you reflected on the games action, acting and beautiful music you know the actual components of game. Member the game had locked framerates at high resolutions. But you know the game wasn't pushing boundaries.

Now let's look at Jedi Survivor on PS5, oh my god, what a game, that ray tracing goodness, my god the developers didn't use ray tracing as excuse, they need it from ground level, of my the realistic ao and that truthful water reflection, oh my god 'stunning visuals' as Tom Morgan says and boy it runs better than many gpu far better than PS5. What a game. What a game to play on PS5, mark cerny did vodoo magic. Let's gooo bois......... Let's go.... to fucking 648p and hey let's definitely forget that Demon's souls and Horizon Forbidden West exist because RT pathway is the best pathway unless you wanna play games looking like God of war ragnarok because that game looked like shit.... just shite...isnt it and those those lazy Santa Monica devs who couldn't implement RT.. man those lazy devs, they should learn something from Jedi Survivor Devs, the best in business am I right.

Man the game looks so filmic at 24 fps... boy who cares about talking about things like music or action of the game, or the actual game when you can talk of performance unlike God of War.....talking about performance is so good, boy you gotta have a tear in your eye.

TrueLegend

Oh I am sure you have lost it before that my friend. But I hope you haven't played Jedi Survior... because it's graphic goodness will blow your brains... and instead of loosing brain cell... you will loose entire brain.
I've lost brain cells reading the OP.

Killer8

Perhaps people are focusing on Jedi Survivor's performance so much because the game itself just isn't particularly special. If it really was a spectacular product, then it would be simple enough to overlook the visual flaws. If a game doesn't have much more going for it than pretty graphics, and those fail to live up to expectations, there's not a whole lot more to it.

hyperbertha

Jedi survivor (and fallen order) are two most visually generic looking games I've ever seen from AAA space. They play fine, but artistically and graphically they are the definition of nothing special.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’ve got no issues with 30 fps, as long as it gives 4k and extra visual bells and whistles. 60 fps cool, but not needed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
40hz vrr because 40hz on a 60 or 120 fps is trash... ( 40 fps running in 40hz = Goodness / 40 fps running on 60 or 120hz = Garbage )

40 fps on a 120hz container runs perfectly fine. Not sure why you count that as a negative? It divides evenly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
40hz vrr because 40hz on a 60 or 120 fps is trash... ( 40 fps running in 40hz = Goodness / 40 fps running on 60 or 120hz = Garbage )
40hz running on 40fps got perfect framepacing just as 30fps on 60hz.
40hz is barely doable on most tv's and with ps5 vrr. Limit is usually 48hz.
Ayway - 30fps is still fine if done well. Not this high input lag garbage we are getting this gen. bloodborne might not have perfect framepacing but it is 75ms faster to control than demons souls 30fps. It really feels great for a 30fps game.

TrueLegend

40hz running on 40fps got perfect framepacing just as 30fps on 60hz.
40hz is barely doable on most tv's and with ps5 vrr. Limit is usually 48hz.
Ayway - 30fps is still fine if done well. Not this high input lag garbage we are getting this gen. bloodborne might not have perfect framepacing but it is 75ms faster to control than demons souls 30fps. It really feels great for a 30fps game.
I am not shitting on 30fps in op but on RT and it's impact. Is the sacrifice of performance worth the visual improvement. Is is truly that meaningful to go to RT and leave pure rasterization this gen. Can't we wait for technology to mature. Is pure raster path of Demons Souls and FHW that bad over RT path.... those are the questions not the 30fps. You are clearly missing the elephant here.

You also have had a thing about raving about PS5 and being happy on bad pc ports. This is a wake up call to you.... Shit performing games are shit performing games. You have switched gears in the other threads.... But you should have came through in situations where the game ran fine on PS5 and Pc ports were broken. You don't promote a culture of forgiving devs for shitty performance on one platform and get to wash your hand when you get the same deal.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not shitting on 30fps in op but on RT and it's impact. Is the sacrifice of performance worth the visual improvement. Is is truly that meaningful to go to RT and leave pure rasterization this gen. Can't we wait for technology to mature. Is pure raster path of Demons Souls and FHW that bad over RT path.... those are the questions not the 30fps. You are clearly missing the elephant here.

You also have had a thing about raving about PS5 and being happy on bad pc ports. This is a wake up call to you.... Shit performing games are shit performing games. You have switched gears in the other threads.... But you should have came through in situations where the game ran fine on PS5 and Pc ports were broken. You don't promote a culture of forgiving devs for shitty performance on one platform and get to wash your hand when you get the same deal.
Of course RT is not worth it. You look at tlou2, demons souls, hfw and some other pure raster games and they look better and run better.
RT is a flop for the most part. Metro Exodus being an exemption

Imtjnotu

Remember when God of War Ragnarok trailer dropped and DF was like 'Meh looks like crossgen', member when people said it looks like PS4 game so whatever, member developer saying you know what it is, and member when the game dropped you payed the game start to finish and then you reflected on the games action, acting and beautiful music you know the actual components of game. Member the game had locked framerates at high resolutions. But you know the game wasn't pushing boundaries.

Now let's look at Jedi Survivor on PS5, oh my god, what a game, that ray tracing goodness, my god the developers didn't use ray tracing as excuse, they need it from ground level, of my the realistic ao and that truthful water reflection, oh my god 'stunning visuals' as Tom Morgan says and boy it runs better than many gpu far better than PS5. What a game. What a game to play on PS5, mark cerny did vodoo magic. Let's gooo bois......... Let's go.... to fucking 648p and hey let's definitely forget that Demon's souls and Horizon Forbidden West exist because RT pathway is the best pathway unless you wanna play games looking like God of war ragnarok because that game looked like shit.... just shite...isnt it and those those lazy Santa Monica devs who couldn't implement RT.. man those lazy devs, they should learn something from Jedi Survivor Devs, the best in business am I right.

Man the game looks so filmic at 24 fps... boy who cares about talking about things like music or action of the game, or the actual game when you can talk of performance unlike God of War.....talking about performance is so good, boy you gotta have a tear in your eye.
What in the actual fuck did I just read

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Every time a technically incompetent dev releases a broken game with RT, this guy starts a thread to shit on RT. You guys sound like jealous Lada drivers that can't afford a Ferrari and blames the car everytime a inexperienced driver crashes a Ferrari.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Every time a technically incompetent dev releases a broken game with RT, this guy starts a thread to shit on RT. You guys sound like jealous Lada drivers that can't afford a Ferrari and blames the car everytime a inexperienced driver crashes a Ferrari.
Not really. This is more of a person wanting a Ferrari engine to run on a Camry just to impress you with the engine sound but the car runs like shit because it can’t handle it.

This Jedi Survivor game really got folk on GAF hyperventilating so much these past few days. How anyone can draw any conclusions from its gutter trash optimisation, regardless of platform, is beyond me.

LostDonkey

Lada Niva ftw

Fbh

Wait until we get proper UE5 games so we can go back to 900p, 30fps with drops to play games with the same dated Ps3/360 era design but nicer graphics. That seems to be the "next gen" at least half the people online want

40fps on a 120hz display looks "good" (as in better than 30fps). But it needs to be locked 40fps and not "targeting" 40fps.

Buggy Loop

Oh fuck off

yP0hCDY.jpg

Jedi survivor is the most useless RT implementation

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Jesus Christ, OP. Learn how to put a coherent thought together without it sounding like some angry ranting fanboy’s stream of consciousness. Why did you think this was a good way to start a thread?

Maybe we just aren’t able to appreciate your genius. It takes a true alpha nerd to peel apart the layers of snarky insinuations, butthurt, and biting sarcasm.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Jesus Christ, OP. Learn how to put a coherent thought together without it sounding like some angry ranting fanboy’s stream of consciousness. Why did you think this was a good way to start a thread?

Maybe we just aren’t able to appreciate your genius. It takes a true alpha nerd to peel apart the layers of snarky insinuations, butthurt, and biting sarcasm.
Oh you think this is his first attempt 🤣

Buggy Loop

What you don't see in that 2nd screenshot is the RT solution completely borking out and having light leaks on the floor as you tilt the camera down.

There's too much SSR reflections and shadowmaps/screen space shadows still being used heavily even with RT

And then this..

And outside..

RT-off.png

RT-on.png

I keep it enabled, why? To fix the red hair bug. It's not an RT showcase.

TrueLegend

Buggy Loop Buggy Loop Turk1993 Turk1993
Atleast my incoherent ramblings are more sensible than your posts hemo memo hemo memo ok I don't have a 4090 but I do have 4080 and 3070 on active systems right now.

You guys simply don't get it.
You guys seem like this is the first time you are seeing bad RT implementation. Games are interactive art forms and performance will always have to be taken in account in this medium together with graphics no matter how good they get. Real time path tracing is great but this console generation is not ready for that and consoles drive extreme majority of game development. I didn't got those RT cards because I wanted to not see RT. I wanted RT as of now to be treated as it is of now 'Heavy, alternative, special feature' like ubersampling of Witcher 2, instead developers have been using it as a crutch to get away from optimizing the raster path which is absolute pure laziness if you see what they did with severely limited cpu of previous gen consoles. The broken ssr in this game is prime example of this. And yes I do shit on every bad implementation of RT because it is a trend because outlets like DF and you guys are ready to give free brownie points to these devs for the twisted idea 'oh these guys are atleast pushing the medium' and that passway is the problem. I never said RT was the problem but RT as it is now is not meaningful to be promoted in every aspect. We have ue5 cpu utilization issues, this is atleast 10 year old engine baggage on nearly all engines. Optimized Dx12 and Vulcan are not common yet and so on top of unoptimized UE5 and unoptimized DX12, we are also pushing RT on top of it. How much of this madness are you guys gonna promote. Atleast I put my point across in words because I come to this forum to express opinion, you two just rave and post memes.

Also since you guys lack wit the OP represents the state of this forum and gaming media these days and particularly the narrative you push. I am dealing with things how they are.... Not how I want them to be like you two, like we are in glorious RT future. It's not the time to push RT, and certainly not as excuse, as some form of necessary collateral. Not all game neet to go for RT. Metro exodus didn't launch with RT and it already looked glorious. RT was a later addon. That was the way to do it but nearly all RT implementation from launch day are broken, we needed this entire gen to push for engine optimization and 60 fps with flat frame time graphs on raster path and RT to be an extra feature reserved for PC. But DLSS3 propaganda because of falling Nvidia sales to push Planned Obsolescence requires Broken DX12 and Broken RT. Shortcuts are shortcuts especially when you are leaving so much cpu performance on table.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Buggy Loop Buggy Loop Turk1993 Turk1993
Atleast my incoherent ramblings are more sensible than your posts hemo memo hemo memo ok I don't have a 4090 but I do have 4080 and 3070 on active systems right now.

You guys simply don't get it.
You guys seem like this is the first time you are seeing bad RT implementation. Games are interactive art forms and performance will always have to be taken in account in this medium together with graphics no matter how good they get. Real time path tracing is great but this console generation is not ready for that and consoles drive extreme majority of game development. I didn't got those RT cards because I wanted to not see RT. I wanted RT as of now to be treated as it is of now 'Heavy, alternative, special feature' like ubersampling of Witcher 2, instead developers have been using it as a crutch to get away from optimizing the raster path which is absolute pure laziness if you see what they did with severely limited cpu of previous gen consoles. The broken ssr in this game is prime example of this. And yes I do shit on every bad implementation of RT because it is a trend because outlets like DF and you guys are ready to give free brownie points to these devs for the twisted idea 'oh these guys are atleast pushing the medium' and that passway is the problem. I never said RT was the problem but RT as it is now is not meaningful to be promoted in every aspect. We have ue5 cpu utilization issues, this is atleast 10 year old engine baggage on nearly all engines. Optimized Dx12 and Vulcan are not common yet and so on top of unoptimized UE5 and unoptimized DX12, we are also pushing RT on top of it. How much of this madness are you guys gonna promote. Atleast I put my point across in words because I come to this forum to express opinion, you two just rave and post memes.

Also since you guys lack wit the OP represents the state of this forum and gaming media these days and particularly the narrative you push. I am dealing with things how they are.... Not how I want them to be like you two, like we are in glorious RT future. It's not the time to push RT, and certainly not as excuse, as some form of necessary collateral. Not all game neet to go for RT. Metro exodus didn't launch with RT and it already looked glorious. RT was a later addon. That was the way to do it but nearly all RT implementation from launch day are broken, we needed this entire gen to push for engine optimization and 60 fps with flat frame time graphs on raster path and RT to be an extra feature reserved for PC. But DLSS3 propaganda because of falling Nvidia sales to push Planned Obsolescence requires Broken DX12 and Broken RT. Shortcuts are shortcuts especially when you are leaving so much cpu performance on table.
My post wasn’t a dig about you but the dev. RT benefits are seriously not worth it for the performance hit in my opinion.

Cyberpunkd

When you type verbatim with what goes through your mind you get posts such as that.

Idea Rocket Beans GIF by Game Two

supernova8

Banned
What in the actual fuck did I just read
People aren't even disagreeing with OP, their English just sucks ass or they're on drugs (or both). I get it OP might not be a native English speaker and everyone has to start somewhere but ... fucking hell.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The biggest problem with Jedi Survivor's RT implementation is that Respawn didn't make the non-RT lighting system look like it came out of an early PS3 engine's ass after two meals of spicy Tacos just to make the RT mode look better.

You know, like how we see in most Nvidia RTX sponsored games. Though I'm sure Nvidia has absolutely nothing to do with it, pinky promise.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I translated the OP into Korean, back to English and finally into a song inspired by 70s soul, funk and R&B.

Do you remember
The 21st night of September?
God of War was changin' the minds of pretenders
While chasin' the haters away
Our cross gen platforms were ringin'
In the key that our fans were singin'
As we encountered another epic boss fight, remember
How Digital Foundry stole the night away, oh, yeah
Hey, hey, hey
Ba-dee-ya, say, do you remember?
Ba-dee-ya, gaming in September
Ba-dee-ya, never was a cloudy day
Ba-du-da, ba-du-da, ba-du-da, ba-du
Ba-du-da, ba-du, ba-du-da, ba-du
Ba-du-da, ba-du, ba-du-da
My thoughts are with you
Holdin' controllers with your heart to see you
Only cross generatoin talk and love, remember
How we knew love was here to trace rays
Now December
Found the game that cross gen shared in September
Only blue talk and love, remember
The true God of War we share today
Hey, hey, hey
Ba-dee-ya, say, do you remember?
Ba-dee-ya, gaming in September
Ba-dee-ya, never was a traced ray
There was a
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), say, do you remember?
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), dancin' in September
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), golden dreams were tracing rays
The bell was ringin', oh, oh
Our souls were singin'
Do you remember never a Jedi day? Yow
There was a
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), gaming in September
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), never was a traced ray
And we'll say
Ba-dee-ya (dee-ya, dee-ya), gaming in September
Ba-dee-ya (dee ya, dee-ya), 4K dreams were shiny days
Ba-dee-ya, dee-ya, dee-ya
Ba-dee-ya, dee-ya, dee-ya, dee-ya!
Ba-dee-ya, dee-ya, dee-ya, dee-ya!

Top Bottom