• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weirdest Zelda Characters

Cutty Flam

Banned
Who are the strangest Zelda characters?

There are a fair amount of them tbh, looking back... Mostly beginning with the N64 era and continuing from there. From OOT to TP there is no shortage of weird characters to choose from in this series, and actually there is a handful in SS as well

One character that comes to mind is Mutoh, first seen in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I like this character, but this dude is flat out strange and a bit unpleasant to be around at times. His bizarre design in appearance and his antics kinda tripped me out as a kid ngl

tumblr_m2rd2ttqbb1rqcl0vo1_500.gif

NINTENDO64--Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20%20Ocarina%20of%20Time_Jul29%2016_53_21.png

v4-460px-Get-the-Mirror-Shield-in-Legend-of-Zelda_-Ocarina-of-Time-Step-1.jpg.webp

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
In my opinion, the top three weirdest are:

3. Fyer and Falbi (Twilight Princess)

Two retired circus actors that created their own amusement park at Lake Hylia. Fyer owns a cannon, and Falbi owns a ride where you grab a cucco, jump off of a platform, and glide to collect rupees. Their garb is quite...er, interesting and colorful.

2. The Oocca (Twilight Princess)

An ancient race of sky beings. First of all, their appearance. They have a cucco-like body with a humanoid head. Quite odd-looking if you ask me. Secondly, these little creatures crafted the Dominion Rod, Sky Cannons, and the technologically advanced City in the Sky. I surely do not know how they must of done this with their current bodies.

1. ??? (the hand that sticks out of the toilet in Majora's Mask and Oracle of Ages)

Alright, what could be weirder than a creepy-looking hand sticking out of a toilet asking for paper? In Oracle of Ages, ??? gives you a stink bag in return of some paper. In Majora's Mask, oddly enough, ??? gives you a piece of heart if you give him paper. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking!

Cutty Flam

Banned
German Hops German Hops good call, but ??? was an interesting character I thought; made the game more interesting. Half the NPCs in TLoZ: Twilight Princess could make this list. The first time seeing Jovani I was like, “ok wtf man” lol. Same with the Ooccoo
yes tingle is weird but that guy from skyward sword was weirder to me for a zelda game. He just seemed so out of place and should appear in an anime instead.
Pretty sure I know which NPC you’re referencing, that was a strange inclusion

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
German Hops German Hops good call, but ??? was an interesting character I thought; made the game more interesting. Half the NPCs in TLoZ: Twilight Princess could make this list. The first time seeing Jovani I was like, “ok wtf man” lol. Same with the Ooccoo

Pretty sure I know which NPC you’re referencing, that was a strange inclusion

Honestly dont remember his name. He was a big meme on NeoGaf at the time though. The one with teh tall hair.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Honestly dont remember his name. He was a big meme on NeoGaf at the time though. The one with teh tall hair.
Ohhhh, nvm I thought you were talking about a different character. I was way off, I think Groose is the one you’re referring to? This guy right?

ecPA18R.jpg

Never really thought of him as weird at the time because his mannerisms never gave off that vibe to me, but just by going by his pics yea I can see it

Bakkus

PeanutButterGamer had two videos on this subject long ago. Before he decided to make all his videos for 10 year olds. Worth a watch.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ohhhh, nvm I thought you were talking about a different character. I was way off, I think Groose is the one you’re referring to? This guy right?

Ya. The coward bully just didnt seem to vibe with a zelda game to me.

Which character were you thinking of?

Shaqazooloo

It would have to be Tingle.

A Diminutive man that thinks he's a fairy and acts like a child, hangs in the sky using a balloon and also made up his own magic words. He also dances quite often.

The only one that comes close is Zant, because of how erratic he is and his facial expressions being slightly disturbing.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
9 out of 10 characters in Twilight Princess are nightmare fuel. It seems that that game’s aesthetics are trying to embody every trope and vibe of classic fairy tales. There isn’t a single location in TP where you feel somewhat safe, and there’s barely a character you could totally trust not to put a blade between your shoulders the moment you turn your back on them. And when you also have scenes like the one with the female yeti, well... you know the one.

Anyway, if you think about it, Zelda was always about weird characters.
- in Zelda 1, you have people completely stuck in caves under trees and behind rock walls, yet when you free them, they’ll ask you to pay for the broken “door”
- in Zelda 2 you have women in red dresses who invite you to “come inside” and completely refill your life energy...
- ever since ALTTP introduced many more NPCs, there’s always a bunch of seriously weird ones. Link’s Awakening barely has a character that doesn’t seem off the rocker
- and when Zelda went 3D, oh my...

Case in point:

G6mRjpZ.png

nkarafo

I never understood this character/element from majora mask.
It's been 3.000 years since i played the game but iirc, it's a replica/statue Link calls so it can be used for puzzles, like holding a button pressed or something. There are similar replicas for some other mask forms. They all look weird and creepy because of course they would, it's Majora's Mask.

The name "Ben" comes from a creepypasta surrounding the game.

Allandor

Well, I would say Link, followed by Zelda.
- Link regularly sleeps for ages and from time to time he wakes up to rescue a princess.
- Link was a lefty and than (since the Wii) used he right hand to hold a sword ... and not only that, the whole world was switched for him just so he can hold a sword in his right hand .... *spooky*
- Zelda ... even though Links sleeps a loot of a time (sleeping in some kind of timeless chamber) even Zelda doesn't really get older.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Moon

legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-moon.jpg

legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-moon.gif

legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask-moon.jpg

The Moon in Majora's Mask is a very peculiar character. Nobody can say what the Moon became (or how it became what it became) after Majora's wickedness overtook it. But the thing was constantly bearing that same menacing face, and in the intro of Majora's Mask, it can even be seen in conversation with Majora and Skull Kid, so it's almost like it became possessed; as well as a sentient being or entity of some sort. It was evident that the Moon was listening, in some way, to Majora in the intro of the game. So even if the Moon couldn't talk, it could listen, understand and take orders. Majora might be one of the most sinister villains in the series considering all this. Majora is so powerful that the evil being within the mask is capable of controlling celestial bodies in outer space. I never really thought of the Moon as much of a character in the past, but after putting some things into perspective, it definitely became more than just a natural satellite. It became some kind of malevolent force with a of mind of its own, as it would appear

In my opinion, the top three weirdest are:

1. ??? (the hand that sticks out of the toilet in Majora's Mask and Oracle of Ages)

Alright, what could be weirder than a creepy-looking hand sticking out of a toilet asking for paper? In Oracle of Ages, ??? gives you a stink bag in return of some paper. In Majora's Mask, oddly enough, ??? gives you a piece of heart if you give him paper. I don't know what Nintendo was thinking!
Somebody probably already mentioned this but it's based off of Japanese folklore/ghost stories.

Top Bottom