• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weird Sony Flex for the PS5 after Offical Teaser Trailer for SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, the amount of views is insane.... must be well over 50 million when all main channels are considered.

Would be great for them if that interest carried over to Venom.
Venom 2 has 33m views on the Sony YouTube Channel, that's not bad
Spiderman No Way Home is currently sitting at 36m views and 11m on Marvel's Channel

Bryank75

Banned
Both this and Ghostbusters Afterlife have had massive positive reactions.
They're literally the biggest movies coming out this year.

Yeah, I'll be bringing my son to at least one...maybe both. He's been asking to go to the cinema, it's been a couple years at this stage.

Edit: Also kinda bummed they didn't get MGM, they made some great Bond films and the new Bond film looks terrible.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah, I'll be bringing my son to at least one...maybe both. He's been asking to go to the cinema, it's been a couple years at this stage.

Edit: Also kinda bummed they didn't get MGM, they made some great Bond films and the new Bond film looks terrible.
They sold MGM though, but I agree.
Didn't understand that myself.

Yeah the controllers at the end was like WTF? I skipped back a few frames to see if If I missed a low-key Spiderman No Way Home PS game announcement or something but nothing.

Then again anything attached to a niche-man trailer will get lots of viewers so can see why Sony capitalized on the opportunity

yurinka

Ok but why not advertise the console itself or the spiderman games? Just advertising the controller is a head scratcher for me. You had 5 seconds to advertise something and chose the thing that anybody who needs it already has, and if you don’t have a ps5 is useless.
I don't know, maybe they have stock of the DualSense but not stock of the console.

I'd expect some adverts for the console and maybe showing closer to launch too, maybe even mentioning the Spider-Man content that's coming to the Avengers game at the end of the year too. I know Avengers isn't a good game and the Spider-Man content is probably tiny that can be enough when people are excited for films like this approaching Christmas.

Add it to the list. Team work lol.

paj9YnQ.jpg

Dude. I'm going to skip the Last of Us TV show and just replay the remaster on PS5, on Grounded. The Superior Show, interactive, too. Lol.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
You think Spiderman owns an Xbox?

Fuck no! Spidey is Playstation have been connected since the PS3 font.

Hoppa

I thought it was some kinda dualsense integration like watch the movie while holding the controller and it'll shake

Tommi84

Pretty stupid actually considering how many millions of people can’t get a PS5 because Sony can’t meet demand.
You don't work for a marketing department, right? :D

The issue of limited supply generate even more demand. People see this and think 'shit! I really need to search for it and buy finally' and once they buy it, they feel as if they achieved something.

Garani

Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto, Dorctor Doom and others like Silver Surfer are incredible characters....

However it is Disney's decisions that have really led to some of their recent failures, I personally have no interest in The Eternals or Shang Chi or a Black Widow stand alone.

Even the What if? 's do not hold my interest and I have the sub there.... I didnt watch Loki or Wanda either.

A big load of meh, wake me up when they do a Wolverine, a Doctor Doom or a Surfer film....
I did watch Wanda Vision and Loki: they were super MEH: great potential just totally wasted.

I am excited for Spiderman 3, and I am interested in Dr. Strange 2, but the rest of the Phase 4 can just go to hell: Endgame is the one that ended a real experience.

If we can just push our tongues in a little deeper I think we'll find sony' prostate gang! Come on guys altogether now! We love you Sony!!!@ 😋

ZywyPL

Banned
This... didn't make any sense at all lol, just dropping a controller out of nowhere, why not advertise the PS5 itself? Or better yet a PS5+SM/MM bundle?

Outrunner

Company advertises product, who would have thought. At least isn't a paid ad in the form of an article in a gaming site.

Disney makes $1.6 BILLION every year on Spider-Man licensing.
Well Sony sold 50% of flim related merch profit rights to disney. Which includes all spiderman merch with a limited timeframe of a spiderman’s movie release. Sony still has the electronic first-dibs merch rights.
So they obviously leveraged something to gain the console game rights away from Activision. Which if it was the film merch rights in exchange of the console gaming rights, it was the right call.

Wolverine, Gambit, Magneto, Dorctor Doom and others like Silver Surfer are incredible characters....

However it is Disney's decisions that have really led to some of their recent failures, I personally have no interest in The Eternals or Shang Chi or a Black Widow stand alone.

Even the What if? 's do not hold my interest and I have the sub there.... I didnt watch Loki or Wanda either.

A big load of meh, wake me up when they do a Wolverine, a Doctor Doom or a Surfer film....
Well if I was Disney. I would release lesser marvel characters now, while they can ride the coattails of the recently departed popular characters. Then introduce Xmen and Fantasic Four, to have other “Avengers” sized movies. Plus those characters’ film rights were just recently purchased from Fox.
That’s why disney was begging for Sony to let them use Spiderman. They needed him to tidy up the MCU till their reveal.

skit_data

They own the movie rights and the Spider-man games are considered one of their biggest 1st party IP.

Completely natural.

Edit: It was waay wierder that they chose the spider-man font for the launch PS3. That’s wierd cross advertising.

Last edited:

Kerotan

That's not a fucking teaser trailer. That's a full length trailer that basically spoils the entire story and the previous films as well. You could have just said it was at the very end instead of making me watch the entire thing looking for product placement.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You wouldn’t? The trailer has lit up the internet.

Over 16 million views on Twitter, over 12 million views on Marvel YouTube, over 40 million on Sony Pictures…. That’s in 24 hours…

It’s called marketing.

That's not a fucking teaser trailer. That's a full length trailer that basically spoils the entire story and the previous films as well. You could have just said it was at the very end instead of making me watch the entire thing looking for product placement.

Talking out of your ass, the trailer only shows the first act. “Spoils the previous movie” Wut ahaha

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Ok but why not advertise the console itself or the spiderman games? Just advertising the controller is a head scratcher for me. You had 5 seconds to advertise something and chose the thing that anybody who needs it already has, and if you don’t have a ps5 is useless.
Not necessarily, if you have a PC, Steam supports the DualSense.

Plus you have DS4Windows. Metro Exodus and AC Valhalla both support the DualSense's features.

Ps5 doesn't even need advertising. I've had aunts and uncles who have never played games in their lives talking about it. They were even surprised I had one. How do they even know about stock issues?

Aenima

Lol, u call a 1 second ad at the end of a trailer a flex? You know how many ppl watch Champion League matches? This is what they see most of the time during the 90 minute matchs.

Engbv7YW8AIueQE.jpg

skit_data

Ps5 doesn't even need advertising. I've had aunts and uncles who have never played games in their lives talking about it. They were even surprised I had one. How do they even know about stock issues?
It’s become a myth, the stuff of legends.
PS5 has gone beyond our mere mortal realm. Its a incorporeal entity. The talks of its greatness getting passed down generations, as in your case.

Kerotan

You wouldn’t? The trailer has lit up the internet.

Over 16 million views on Twitter, over 12 million views on Marvel YouTube, over 40 million on Sony Pictures…. That’s in 24 hours…

It’s called marketing.

Talking out of your ass, the trailer only shows the first act. “Spoils the previous movie” Wut ahaha
That spode man's identity was revealed. And also spoils the plot about them trying to fix it but it goes wrong.

mckmas8808

Banned
It's called a shortage and it's not just Sony.

Is it a shortage though? Like a real shortage? They are making the most launch\post launch consoles in Earth's history. How much faster should they be asked to make PS5s? How can they go faster than the fastest in history? This ISN'T a supply problem.

It's a demand problem. There's just too much demand for the PS5 world-wide (except in Japan of course).

RespawnX

GAF = Weird flex
Reality = Smart marketing
Plump marketing, so yes, weird flex. Telling you as someone who gets paid to avoid this kind of shit. But I know how this kind of things happen. Maybe some high rank manager wanted it. You can imagine it like this:

Boss: "Ey, we got Spidy on our Playstation right? Do we have Playstation thing in trailer?"
Expert: "No, it doesn't fits, but we are working ou ..."
Boss: "Put a fucking PlayStation thing right at the end of the trailer. Best idea I ever had!"
Expert: "But ..."
Boss: "Do it!"

Alternatively there is someone on duty who just doesn't care or doesn't knows how to do smart marketing. Communication deparature at Sony always seemed a bit "old fashioned and not so good". So, this also fits.
I imagine that Disney/Marvel also has set strict guidelines here. Relationships don't seem to be the best these days.

Top Bottom