• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Gametap-Age: FALLOUT! Battle Chess, Free Knights of the Round and THQ Deal

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gametap News: Gametap Signs Partner ship with THQ

GAMETAP SIGNS PARTNERSHIP WITH THQ
New deal includes top titles and franchises like Company of Heroes

ATLANTA – July 22, 2008 – GameTap, the first-of-its-kind broadband entertainment network from Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., announced today a long-term partnership with THQ Inc. that includes worldwide subscription play and digital download rights for a wide selection of the publisher’s games for Windows PC. Additionally under the new agreement, some THQ games will also be made available for free play on GameTap’s ad-supported website www.gametap.com.

“We are excited to be adding THQ’s roster of top content to GameTap,” said Ricardo Sanchez, vice president of content and creative director for GameTap. “With this new deal, subscribers and website visitors will enjoy great games from THQ, including Company of Heroes and Red Faction.”

As part of the new agreement, GameTap will now feature titles from the THQ and ValuSoft catalogues, including critically acclaimed games such as Company of Heroes®, Warhammer® 40K, Red Faction®, Supreme Commander®, Titan Quest™, Saints Row™ 2, PuzzleQuest and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

“Our new partnership with GameTap allows both a brand new audience and fans alike to enjoy our titles and franchise games online,” said Adrienne Lauer, National Sales Director, Market Development for THQ, “Digital distribution is a great way to extend the reach of our properties and GameTap is an ideal outlet for this effort.”

About THQ Inc.
THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) is a leading worldwide developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. The company develops its products for all popular game systems, personal computers and wireless devices. Headquartered in Los Angeles County, California, THQ sells product through its global network of offices located throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. More information about THQ and its products may be found at www.thq.com. THQ, ValuSoft, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, Titan Quest, Saints Row 2 and their respective logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of THQ Inc.

About GameTap
GameTap, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., is the leader in digital game distribution and broadband entertainment. Launched in 2005, GameTap delivers more than 1000 authentic versions of the greatest console, computer and arcade games, including original and exclusive episodic titles such as Sam & Max Seasons One and Two and American McGee’s Grimm. Visitors to www.gametap.com can play free games on its ad-supported website, and purchase top PC and catalog titles from its digital retail storefront. GameTap paid members receive unlimited access to its massive library of titles, community and multiplayer features, and original games.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

New Games - Fallout, Aveyond 2 and Battle Chess

http://www.gametap.com/events/eventDetail.do?eventId=698239

New Premium Games Available July 23, 2008

Fallout

Fallout_WIN_Interplay_250-84ee4929-9d73-49d6-909f-d02817f01683_97670.png

It's the year 2161, 84 years after a two-hour-long war that destroyed most of civilization. Mankind soldiers on, living out a hardscrabble life on the surface or holing up in great Vaults built inside caves. You're a member of Vault 13 somewhere in Southern California, and the Vault Overseer's got a job for you: find a replacement water purification chip within 150 days, or your home is doomed.

Aveyond 2

Aveyond2_WIN_Amaranth_205-cac3552b-8a2f-46ec-a534-967075b7165b_5e801.png

Ean has lived carefree in the Vale, the land of the Elves, without fear or pain all his years. Until the snow came, and with it came loss. His best friend Iya, missing; all memory of her erased, save his own. Now he must travel to the Land of Man, and face challenges and dangers beyond his young ability to imagine. But if he fails, Iya is lost forever...and the snow will fall across the world.

Battle Chess

BattleChess_WIN_Inter_205_1f360.PNG

Admit it -- you've always wished chess were more violent. The knights carry swords, so they should use them. In Battle Chess, you get your wish: a faithful recreation of the ancient game, plus a whole bunch of hilariously brutal cutscenes. Blast computer opponents or humiliate a friend, then create your own versions of the game for customized combat!

New Free Games Available July 23

Knights of the Round

KnightsoftheRound_ARC_Cap_205_b9170.PNG

Knight-in-training Arthur Pendragon has pulled the legendary sword Excalibur from its stone, and now it's up to him and his partners Lancelot and Perceval to bring peace to the land by beating down anyone who gets in their way. Enjoy three-player mayhem in this medieval brawler.

Full List of Free Games:

1. 2020 Super Baseball
2. 1942
3. 1943: The Battle of Midway
4. 1st Division Manager
5. 3 Count Bout
6. Art of Fighting
7. Astrosmash
8. Bagh Chal
9. Ball 7 Deluxe
10. Baseball Stars 2
11. Baseball Stars Professional
12. Battle of Europe
13. Bee 52
14. Black Tiger
15. Blast Miner
16. BloodRayne
17. Brian Lara Cricket 2007
18. Bubble Bobble
19. Buku Kakuro
20. Buku Sudoku
21. BurgerTime
22. Burnin' Rubber
23. Bust-A-Move
24. Bust-A-Move Again
25. Cannon Fodder
26. Capcom Sports Club
27. Captain Commando
28. Captain Dynamo
29. CJ in the USA
30. Cj's Elephant Antics
31. Colin McRae Rally 2005
32. Colony 7
33. Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
34. Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness
35. D.N.A.
36. Daikatana
37. Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors
38. Defender
39. Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
40. Disciples II: Rise of the Elves GOLD
41. Dj Puff's Volcanic Capers
42. Dracula Twins
43. Elevator Action
44. Fast Lanes Bowling
45. Fast Lanes Pinball
46. Fatal Fury
47. Final Fight
48. Five Card Deluxe
49. Flip Words 2
50. Football Frenzy
51. Futoshiki
52. Ghosts N' Goblins
53. Ghouls N' Ghosts
54. Grand Prix Simulator
55. Grell and Falla
56. Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
57. Hitman: Codename 47
58. Ikari Warriors
59. Ingenious
60. Jaws Unleashed
61. Jewelcraft
62. Joust
63. Kamikaze
64. Karate Champ
65. King of the Monsters
66. King of the Monsters 2
67. Kizuna Encounter: Super Tag Battle
68. Knights of the Round
69. Lara Croft's Tomb Raider: Legend
70. Lazer Force
71. Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2
72. League Bowling
73. Liquid Kids
74. Little Puff in Dragonland
75. Lunar Rescue
76. Magical Drop III
77. Marine Park Empire
78. Mean Machine
79. Mega Man: The Power Battle
80. Mercs
81. Metal Slug
82. Metal Slug 2
83. Miami Chase
84. Mig-29 Soviet Fighter
85. Motocross
86. Mr. Robot
87. Murray Mouse: Supercop
88. Mutation Nation
89. Nemesis of the Roman Empire
90. Neo Turf Masters
91. Olli & Lissa 3
92. Poltergeist
93. Pop-A-Tronic
94. Prehistoric Isle in 1930
95. Prince Clumsy
96. Pro Boxing Simulator
97. Pro Skateboard Simulator
98. Psychonauts
99. Puzzled
100. Qix
101. Rainbow Islands: The Story of Bubble Bobble 2
102. Rally Cross Simulator
103. Rampage
104. Rastan
105. Real MYST
106. Restaurant Empire
107. Return of the Invaders
108. Robotron 2084
109. Rogue Trooper
110. Root Beer Tapper
111. Sam and Max Season One: Episode 4: Abe Lincoln Must Die!
112. Samurai Showdown
113. Second Sight
114. Sensible Soccer
115. Sensible Soccer 2006
116. Shark! Shark!
117. Shock Troopers
118. Slightly Magic
119. Son Son
120. Space Invaders
121. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition
122. Super Qix
123. Stuntman Seymour
124. Super Seymour
125. Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
126. Surakarta
127. Texas Hold' Em Poker
128. The King of Fighters 95
129. The King of Fighters 96
130. The Last Blade
131. The New Zealand Story
132. Thief: Deadly Shadows
133. Tilt
134. Tube-It
135. Twinkle Star Sprites
136. Vampire Savior: The Lord of the Vampire
137. Vulgus
138. Warlords Battlecry 3
139. War and Warriors: Joan of Ark
140. X2: The Threat
141. Zoo Empire
142. Zoo Keeper

2008 Coming Attractions

Coming to Gold (subscription required!):

Coming July 31
Alien Stars
American McGee's Grimm: A Boy Learns What Fear Is

Coming August 7
American McGee's Grimm: Little Red Riding Hood (Coming August 7)
Circus Empire

American McGee's Grimm

American McGee's Grimm: A Boy Learns What Fear Is (Coming July 31)
American McGee's Grimm: Little Red Riding Hood (Coming August 7)
American McGee's Grimm: The Fisherman and his Wife (Coming August 14)
American McGee's Grimm: Puss in Boots (Coming August 21)
American McGee's Grimm: The Girl Without Hands (Coming August 28)
American McGee's Grimm: Godfather Death (Coming September 4)
American McGee's Grimm: The Devil and His Three Golden Hairs (Coming September 11)
American McGee's Grimm: Beauty and the Beast (Coming September 18)
American McGee's Grimm: Volume Two (Fall 2008)
American McGee's Grimm: Volume Three (Early 2009)

TBD:

Die By the Sword
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Hei$t
Culpa Innata
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition
Sub Command
Patrician III
Alien Stars
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
(additional Interplay titles TBD)
{TBD THQ Titles}

Coming to Free:
American McGee's Grimm: Little Red Riding Hood
American McGee's Grimm: A Boy Learns What Fear Is (others TBD)

Special Feature: GAF Plays Fallout
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

Amory

Hm, I've been considering trying out a gametap subscription for a while now. I use gamefly already, but it's hardly the same thing. Anyone subscribe to it that can give me a "worth it or not"?

Median

Can anyone from Canada confirm that Fallout is available to them? I know the other good RPGs I want to play on Gametap (Planescape, Baldur's Gate) aren't available to Canadians under some crazy licensing agreement.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Median said:
Can anyone from Canada confirm that Fallout is available to them? I know the other good RPGs I want to play on Gametap (Planescape, Baldur's Gate) aren't available to Canadians under some crazy licensing agreement.

Just checked Canadian availability, Fallout is available in Canada.

XCell9200 said:
Hm, I've been considering trying out a gametap subscription for a while now. I use gamefly already, but it's hardly the same thing. Anyone subscribe to it that can give me a "worth it or not"?

Its only a dollar to try for a month, there's nothing much to lose.

If you're a Canadian and dissapointed with the lineup just do what I (from the Uk) do and use Entropay to sign up for a US account.

Excellent news about the additions from THQ, though a little annoyed now that I spent the cash to buy many of them games.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
brain_stew said:
Its only a dollar to try for a month, there's nothing much to lose.

If you're a Canadian and dissapointed with the lineup just do what I (from the Uk) do and use Entropay to sign up for a US account.

Excellent news about the additions from THQ, though a little annoyed now that I spent the cash to buy many of them games.

Well, you can hardly be counted upon to have seen this coming.

Mrbob

So how do you guys feel about Gametap?

I've been thinking about getting a sub, but my issue is I don't own any of these games. Once I end my sub I can't play them anymore.

With regards to the earlier question about value: It's all about what you think you'll get out of it. I put down $60 after having used a guest account from a buddy for a month. He sold me on it.

Check out the list of games. Or put down the $1 for a month and try it out. Or check out their full list of games before you make your decision. It was valuable to me because there are a bunch of older games on there that I never played but always wanted to (like the Black Isle/Bioware D&D games). I feel like I've already capitalized on my investment. Beware though, no mods on anything. Their games are all encrypted, and you can't move save files from one rig to another, which does kinda suck for the RPGs, especially if you do a bit of traveling.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Omegasquash said:
With regards to the earlier question about value: It's all about what you think you'll get out of it. I put down $60 after having used a guest account from a buddy for a month. He sold me on it.

Check out the list of games. Or put down the $1 for a month and try it out. Or check out their full list of games before you make your decision. It was valuable to me because there are a bunch of older games on there that I never played but always wanted to (like the Black Isle/Bioware D&D games). I feel like I've already capitalized on my investment. Beware though, no mods on anything. Their games are all encrypted, and you can't move save files from one rig to another, which does kinda suck for the RPGs, especially if you do a bit of traveling.

Actually, as I understand it, this is actually done on a case by case basis, for example one can use mods and move save files on Civilization 4 as I understand it.

Civ4 is sort of an exception because you can put modded content into the game's directory structure it creates under My Documents. Most games require you to put modded stuff into their install directories, which is what you can't do with Gametap.

I got Gametap to play Sam and Max Season 1 and 2 and found it to be an exceptional value (I paid $50 for a year) on that alone. As a bonus, you get a version of X-COM: UFO Defense that runs right out of the box on XP with zero hassles (and it's still one of the best games ever), and a ton of top-shelf late 90s/2000 era PC games that you might have missed that are a lot of fun.

The casual game lineup is actually pretty strong ( I have five or six games I swap between when I don't want something serious), the indie choices very well picked out ( Mr. Robot, Moonbase Commander, Starscape, etc.), and the selection is really broad and well throught out. I can go from playing Sudoku to Panzer General in about 30 seconds.

I'll be buying stuff from GOG when their service goes live too, and already get stuff from Steam, Impulse, and Gamersgate. There's an entire ecosystem of digital delievered game content on the PC to explore, and if you're like me and prefer a leather chair and the warm glow of a monitor playing Daddy's games, that exploration is well worth it.

Shard, I'll be posting up some stuff in that FO thread tonight IF I can stop playing Children of the Nile for one evening. I'm running with a high-res patch off an original CD-ROM install but really it isn't a huge boost up over what you get from GameTap.

Wallach

I'm curious as to how this works. If I sign up for GameTap to get Fallout (or any of their other "Gold Only" games, if the subscription runs out and I don't renew, does that mean I can no longer play those games until I re-subscribe?

Wallach said:
I'm curious as to how this works. If I sign up for GameTap to get Fallout (or any of their other "Gold Only" games, if the subscription runs out and I don't renew, does that mean I can no longer play those games until I re-subscribe?

Yes. You don't own any of the games, you are just paying to have access to them.

Fatbot

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
Yes. You don't own any of the games, you are just paying to have access to them.

As a friendly reminder, GameTap is giving away the first episode of American McGee's Grimm as sort of a demo so that everyone can see what it's like. You will essentially own it indefinitely.

After that, each episode will be free to everyone the first day of release so if you have a green account and come in the first 24 hours you can play Grimm for free.

Top Bottom