• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Websites Writing Four-Page Articles on How to Buy a MP Skin in a F2P Game

ManaByte

Gold Member
This is something that's made me roll my eyes for a while, but it just keeps getting worse.

Every time a game like Fortnite or Call of Duty releases a $20 skin in their shop that's high profile (such as Aloy or Batman a couple of weeks ago in Fortnite, or Rambo/John McClane in CoD today), websites run long articles on "how to unlock" the skin...when all someone has to do is fucking buy it from the store for $20.

THERE IS NO WAY TO "UNLOCK" THESE SKINS FOR FREE, SO THE HEADLINES ARE FLAT-OUT LIES.

Look at this shit:
EMHV8af.png

That's a four-page 550 word article when in reality the answer is just one sentence "Go to the store and buy the skin for 2400 COD points".

Again, sites keep doing this and they won't stop because no one is willing to call them out on their crap and the big ass AdSense check they get from this shit makes them feel vindicated in doing it.

gjybHRL.png

Last edited:

mitch1971

Person with more money ripping on people who don't have as much, or would rather play a game they enjoy to get the reward. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

mitch1971

What the fuck are you talking about? This is about clickbait websites writing huge articles for a one sentence answer.

There's no way to "unlock" these skins for free. They're lying to people in the headline.
Fare enough then, but you could of made that point in your post. Maybe change 'when all someone has to do is fucking buy it from the store for $20' to 'when all someone can do is buy it from the store'.

Last edited:

jakinov

You have a very narrow definition of the word “unlock”. The skins are locked and they can be unlocked using your wallet.

also one reason that the headlines are written like this, is because these are the keywords people are likely going to search using search engines.

articles like these are there to answer user search queries just like the release date ones. Yea it’s for money but who cares they can be useful, especially if google bubbles them up correctly in their cards.

Inviusx

These articles are just pure SEO to drive traffic to their website. In the near future they won't even be written by people but will be produced by an AI that just gets checked by an editor.

These writers are sewing the seeds of their own demise.

Kilau

Gold Member
I never see these articles but I imagine enough people search this stuff to make them worthwhile. Does a new skin really bring in a ton of new players or it possible current players really have no clue how premium skins work? I assume there are other skins you can unlock just by playing.

Off topic, that Aloy skin looks like trash, maybe it’s the pose or just the stupid look on her face.

Smile&Dial

Neo Member
It’s all about content creation. As a digital marketing manager here, the article serves multiple purposes for what is called SEO or search engine optimization. Essentially they create long form content that people read. In the content they link to other places on their site and others’ sites in order to build more relevance on the search algorithm. So that when someone goes to Google and search for, “Rambo black ops skin” their article shows up, which serves their ads when someone clicks on it which nets them revenue. Long winded but that’s the purpose.

ShadowLag

It’s all about content creation. As a digital marketing manager here, the article serves multiple purposes for what is called SEO or search engine optimization. Essentially they create long form content that people read. In the content they link to other places on their site and others’ sites in order to build more relevance on the search algorithm. So that when someone goes to Google and search for, “Rambo black ops skin” their article shows up, which serves their ads when someone clicks on it which nets them revenue. Long winded but that’s the purpose.

Put more simply, they're advertising clicks disguised as guides.

There's a million of these out there for every online game and it's indeed very cringe worthy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
As a digital marketing manager here, the article serves multiple purposes for what is called SEO or search engine optimization.

I know what SEO is. I ran websites for a decade. That's still no excuse for whoring yourself out for clicks like this and basically lying to people.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Fare enough then, but you could of made that point in your post. Maybe change 'when all someone has to do is fucking buy it from the store for $20' to 'when all someone can do is buy it from the store'.
You are reaching, his message was very clear what he was talking about.

Top Bottom