• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need more urban open worlds

Woggleman

It seems like almost every open world game these days is filled with wilderness, nature and empty spaces. As much as I like RDR2, GOT and HZD we need more city based worlds where you are not riding a horse around. As many issues as Cyberpunk 2077 has I really liked the scale and art direction of the city. I wish more games can have that kind of feel but also get everything else right.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That would be cool.

I kinda miss the small scale open worlds of GTA games. Today it seems that every open world game developer is trying to compete to try and see who has the bigger world, without putting to much care into what's actually inside that world.

Dr.Morris79

Currently playing through Watchdog legions and cant help but wonder just how good this game would have been with more competent people at the helm. It's utterly shoddy and nine times out of ten just broken but the actual city scape is second to none.

I'd much prefer if the game didnt have the futuristic taint on it and went with a more modern day aesthetic.

And I hate to say it, but it's woke as shit.

Patrick S.

Banned
I just started playing The Division again, after a few years of hiatus. It's still damn awesome!

56c494ad88a7e300458b4d5e-1.jpg

D07B75D9F1979D0A80950E43A0E673933B301F0C

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Just remembered that I still need to play Homefront: The Revolution. I've had it for ages, but after Jim Sterling's video tearing it apart I kinda never installed it. Seems that most problems in that game have sinced been patched out, and it goes for the price of a coffee.

92525968-vollbild.jpg

Notabueno

Banned
It's funny you mention urban open worlds. Some of the first use of "urban" set game were for urban RPGs, namely Earthbound then Pokemon, RPGs being one of the forefathers of open-worlds.

Yet most people post OWs than are mort post-apocalyptic urban set games, which is nothing new since a game literally called Urban Chaos, but I'd like to see an actual "urban" OW games, other than GTA.

And the only one upcoming I see is DokeV

Patrick S.

Banned
It's funny you mention urban open worlds. Some of the first use of "urban" set game were for urban RPGs, namely Earthbound then Pokemon, RPGs being one of the forefathers of open-worlds.

Yet most people post OWs than are mort post-apocalyptic urban set games, which is nothing new since a game literally called Urban Chaos, but I'd like to see an actual "urban" OW games, other than GTA.

And the only one upcoming I see is DokeV
Well, there isn't much more than Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs and Saints Row 1-3 left if you are looking for something that isn't post-apocalyptic.

anthraticus

Banned
Play Saints Row 2. Best game in the seris by far and much better than the new GTAs too. Avoid the notoriously shitty PC port though.

It's a good size too. Not too large/barren and packed with stuff to do and options. As opposed to GTA 5 say, where it feels like the world they made was pretty underutilized.

Last edited:

Notabueno

Banned
Well, there isn't much more than Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs and Saints Row 1-3 left if you are looking for something that isn't post-apocalyptic.

And that's sad. Fuck heroic-fantasy forest and post-apocalyptic wasteland set games, they're irrelevant to me so much they're unoriginal and have been bled to death.

Patrick S.

Banned
And that's sad. Fuck heroic-fantasy forest and post-apocalyptic wasteland set games, they're irrelevant to me so much they're unoriginal and have been bled to death.
I do like post-apocalyptic settings, but I'd love to play more games with unbroken urban settings, too. Watch Dogs 1 and 2 really hit many right buttons with me, because the cities felt quite real, especially in the second game. Shame they've gone superwoke now. Like everything, really :/

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
We need less open worlds period. They are almost always bland, repetitive and uneventful + bad writing.

But if we're gonna get more, then yea I agree. Im shocked there hasnt been more GTA clones, like they just died out

Patrick S.

Banned
Another reason to play Saints Row 2. They wouldn't make something like that today.
Didn't they say they were going to fix the PC port? I think they said that one of the developers had found the source code and was going to write a patch on his own dime, or something like that...

Guilty_AI

Urban settings can be quite difficult to make, which is why we don't get a whole lot of them usually.

For all the hate it got, i'd say right now CP2077's night city takes the cake in terms of size + complexity for non-post apocalyptic city enviroment.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
We need less open worlds period. They are almost always bland, repetitive and uneventful + bad writing.

But if we're gonna get more, then yea I agree. Im shocked there hasnt been more GTA clones, like they just died out
People basically wanted carbon copies of GTA, with the same production values. And that was never going to happen.

Patrick S.

Banned
Urban settings can be quite difficult to make, which is why we don't get a whole lot of them usually.

For all the hate it got, i'd say right now CP2077's night city takes the cake in terms of size + complexity.
Yeah. It's a super broken game, but I absolutely love its world. I see myself having this game on my system forever.

Last edited:

while I sorta agree, I find a good open world superior to everything else

The Witcher 3's open world is giving me an experience I simply wouldn't be able to have in a none open world game, in the best possible way

obviously depends on the genre, but I'm excited to see more GOOD open world games, like BoTW 2 and Elden Ring

Guilty_AI

Yeah. It's a super broken game, but I absolutely love its world. I see myself having this game on my system forever.
indeed, i'm often quite amazed by the level of detail, verticality and interiors the game has. Not to mention the number of side-quests and gigs you find within those places, all with unique story, voice lines and level design.
People can call the game broken how much they want, but the ones saying there's nothing to do or see in the world are absolutely lying.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Didn't they say they were going to fix the PC port? I think they said that one of the developers had found the source code and was going to write a patch on his own dime, or something like that...

It ain't good news.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/9480/discussions/0/3149682775496734153/

IdolNinja said:

Stepping down as CM and the future of the SR2 patch
I've been trying to come up with a good way to say this, but there really is not one. I'm stepping down as Volition's Community Developer.

The reason why is a simple one; the cancer that I fought so hard with last year was only a temporary victory. It has come back with a vengeance, and I only have a short time left here on this earth.

You are probably wondering what will happen with the Saints Row 2 patch project. While I will no longer be managing Community, I will continue to work on this for as long as I am able. Please understand that it is 100% my choice to spend my last days contributing to it. Both Volition and Deep Silver have been incredibly supportive and have always given me the opportunity to leave the project with a solemn vow to make sure it gets finished without me. We have also been planning for this eventual moment, and brought on additional programming help some time ago to make sure it happens. While I am hesitant to give any kind of timeline, I can say that there have been huge strides made. I am confident that it will meet everyone's high expectations and standards (including mine.)

Anyone that knows me, understands that I have the deepest love for both the people at Volition and our community. I hope I was able to shine a light on how we make games and who we are as both developers and people, and maybe make everyone's day just a little bit brighter in some small way. Oh, and one last thing... while I probably won't be here to see the launch, our new Saints Row game is absolutely going to blow the roof off. I am beyond proud to have been a part of bringing it to life.

Bragr

Banned
Yeah, after GTA III you had a bunch of them, True Crime, Godfather, Mafia, Scarface, a little later Sleeping Dogs. I think it's a creative issue, they just can't come up with other ideas than crime cities.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think we need more open world games in general.

With GTA just turned into a cash grab, now is the perfect opportunity to make a modern day open world gta style game.

As far as the map goes, they need to have nice mix of urban greenland and ocean, desert and other woodland is welcome too.

If a company like naughty dog or coalition or respawn made a GTA like game, it would not even have to be a huge map, have it 1/4 the size of GTA5 and a few small islands and the campaign does not need to be huge, a 12hr one would be fine. They just need to focus on story and detail and im sure it would sell loads.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Agreed, especially in Sci-fi and Fantasy. I was so looking forward to Prey 2 back in the day, and I'd love to see a modern Majora's Mask with BotW mechanics in a dense urban environment where NPCs have detailed schedules and intertwined lives.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, GTA, Cyberpunk, Infamous, Spider-Man, Batman, Mafia, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, Dying Light, Yakuza, Driver, Sleeping Dogs, it seems to me there are plenty efforts around at any given time to be honest, plus games that mix both like RDR, Stalker, Just Cause & Fallout.

Last edited:
Top Bottom