• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We might get RDNA2 Big Navi news tomorrow.

Ascend

It is not, and only someone who never owned an Nvidia card would think it is.

You should likely read less sensationalist websites (the last one you mention uses one of the least respected "tech" sites on the internet as a source) and watch less teletubbiers and make your own opinion, because honestly, there are few things as absolutely ridiculous as trying to defend AMD's abysmal approach to drivers with the very sparse issues Nvidia's have.
Let me guess. "My own opinion" should be the same as yours... :messenger_unamused:

All you've thrown out are tantrums and labels. Nothing of substance. If that is all you have, it is better for all of us if you go post elsewhere.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Let me guess. "My own opinion" should be the same as yours... :messenger_unamused:

You have not denied that you never owned an nvidia card.

Differently from you. I've owned both, recently. I'm very familiar with what offers the best drivers, and it isn't even on the same planet, really.

Zathalus

(I am using Nvidia right now, but used AMD before that for 5 years)

I always loved it when Nvidia fanboys, who have never used an AMD card in their lives, kept telling me how bad AMD drivers were whilst I was using an AMD card and AMD driver for many years with absolutely no driver issues at all. Pure insanity how stupid mouth propaganda spreads.

But like my computer science teacher always said : Basically all issues regarding a Computer ... sit in front of it.
I've frequented the various forums and the AMD/Nvidia subreddits for years, and the RDNA driver situation at one point was pretty bad, bad enough that tech youtubers called AMD out on it and AMD stated that they will do better. For example:

When AMD drivers are good, they are good. But they seem to have these certain periods (mostly around a new arch launch) in which they suck quite a bit.

I'll give AMD credit though, they are really good at pushing new driver features and the driver UI is damn slick when compared to Nvidia, which somehow still looks like it is running on Windows XP at times.

GymWolf

This. AMD drivers are fucking atrocious and make everyone who tries them run screaming back to Nvidia, even if they have to pay double. It’s a sad state of affairs
I always heard about shitty drivers for amd gpu\cpu, can someone explain to me in details why they are so bad? Especially for cpus, what are the common problems?

Last edited:

Ellery

I've frequented the various forums and the AMD/Nvidia subreddits for years, and the RDNA driver situation at one point was pretty bad, bad enough that tech youtubers called AMD out on it and AMD stated that they will do better. For example:

When AMD drivers are good, they are good. But they seem to have these certain periods (mostly around a new arch launch) in which they suck quite a bit.

I'll give AMD credit though, they are really good at pushing new driver features and the driver UI is damn slick when compared to Nvidia, which somehow still looks like it is running on Windows XP at times.

Ok I will concede this point since I haven't used an RDNA card so I obviously can't talk from personal experience in that regard. The last AMD driver I used was from May/June 2019, but I have see the "AMD has bad driver" being brought up a lot and well before that and it is extremely exaggerated to a point where it doesn't make sense or people think that they can't play games

Last edited:

The Skull

I always heard about shitty drivers for amd gpu\cpu, can someone explain to me in details why they are so bad?

They're normally ropey around new architecture launches. Ryzen 1 had some teething issues, same as Vega and navi but the issues are normally addressed.

This is what gave AMD their "fine wine" reputation. Their products normally "age" better because the drivers are fixed over time rather than being the best at launch.

As someone who has used both vendors extensively I've always found that AMD driver issues are overplayed hysterically, whilst Nvidia ones are swept under the rug and not talked about like they don't exist.

Both vendors have issues but AMD's are certainly more prevalent it seems.

I'm one of the lucky few that have used both vendors without issues.

Zathalus

Ok I will concede this point since I haven't used an RDNA card so I obviously can't talk from personal experience in that regard. The last AMD driver I used was from May/June 2019, but I have see the "AMD has bad driver" being brought up a lot and well before that and it is extremely exaggerated to a point where it doesn't make sense or people think that they can't play games
Is it exaggerated? Certainly, but is has a basis in fact. Sure Nvidia has also had it's fair share of issues, but AMD has made a ton of mistakes with RDNA drivers.

I will grant you that for the majority of the Polaris lifecycle the drivers were good.

But to go on a tangent, AMDs drivers issues is only one of the problems they face when it comes to launching new cards. The major issue I feel is the utterly shit coolers the reference cards launch with. You would think after 10 years and Nvidia changing their act would give them a freaking clue, but no. They still released blower style cards, and you had to wait several months for AIB cards. The R9 290x and R9 390x cards were bloody amazing cards for their time, hamstrung by driver issues at launch and frankly terrible coolers.

Hence the meme that AMD has bad drivers and runs hot and loud.

The 80 CU RDNA 2 16GB card can be a monster, but if the drivers are not up to snuff, and they use another terrible reference design, then Nvidia is just going to stomp them again.

Ascend

You have not denied that you never owned an nvidia card.
Well, I have. Not that you care.

Differently from you. I've owned both, recently. I'm very familiar with what offers the best drivers, and it isn't even on the same planet, really.
Good for you. Your fanaticism doesn't exactly make you a reliable source of information.

As someone who has used both vendors extensively I've always found that AMD driver issues are overplayed hysterically, whilst Nvidia ones are swept under the rug and not talked about like they don't exist.
f7FdEdG.jpeg

Ellery

They still released blower style cards, and you had to wait several months for AIB cards. The R9 290x and R9 390x cards were bloody amazing cards for their time, hamstrung by driver issues at launch and frankly terrible coolers.

Hence the meme that AMD has bad drivers and runs hot and loud.

The 80 CU RDNA 2 16GB card can be a monster, but if the drivers are not up to snuff, and they use another terrible reference design, then Nvidia is just going to stomp them again.

I agree a lot with this. The drivers hold back the actual performance of those cards. I owned an R9 290X for many years (Sapphire Tri X OC) and just like with the 7970 the drivers at first didn't optimize games enough.

Though I never had any problems with an AMD driver crashing or game unable to be played due to it.

Ascend

I agree a lot with this. The drivers hold back the actual performance of those cards. I owned an R9 290X for many years (Sapphire Tri X OC) and just like with the 7970 the drivers at first didn't optimize games enough.

Though I never had any problems with an AMD driver crashing or game unable to be played due to it.
It should also be noted that back then, you would get maybe two or three drivers every year. That was definitely not up to snuff.
Right now, they are releasing drivers pretty much every month to keep up with new games. Not to mention back then they had to contend with the atrocity that was gameworks, but that's another story for another time.

The point is... There have been many advances and improvements with their drivers, they have overhauled their software each year since Polaris, but, no one is giving them credit for that.

Last edited:

GymWolf

They're normally ropey around new architecture launches. Ryzen 1 had some teething issues, same as Vega and navi but the issues are normally addressed.

This is what gave AMD their "fine wine" reputation. Their products normally "age" better because the drivers are fixed over time rather than being the best at launch.

Both vendors have issues but AMD's are certainly more prevalent it seems.

I'm one of the lucky few that have used both vendors without issues.
I asked because a ryzen is probably gonna be my new cpu if intel runs similar but cost more.

But i'm a lazy, noob pc gamer and i don't wanna waste time searching fix for amd(or nvidia) driver bullshits.

I want something that just work without maintenance on my part.

Intel already pissed me off with these security problems in their cpu and the fix patch who lowered the performances, they need to do something great to make me buy another one of their cpus.

Ellery

It should also be noted that back then, you would get maybe two or three drivers every year. That was definitely not up to snuff.
Right now, they are releasing drivers pretty much every month to keep up with new games. Not to mention back then they had to contend with the atrocity that was gameworks, but that's another story for another time.

The point is... There have been many advances and improvements with their drivers, they have overhauled their software each year since Polaris, but, no one is giving them credit for that.

True yeah. I feel like there are 6 new drivers when I don't update for 2 days nowdays (y)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Good for you. Your fanaticism doesn't exactly make you a reliable source of information.

It's funny that you'd call someone else on "fanaticism" when you're here to try to defend AMD's drivers (while bringing up anecdotal sensationalist stuff to back up your lack of arguments). That's something pretty much only a fanatic would do. 😂

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ryzen is perfectly fine. Software support is completely different on the CPU side.
Good to know.

Oh wait a sec, is my memory fucked or motherboard for amd cpus have problem with some ram brands\models? Like compatibility problems?! I heard that when i choose my current 8600k instead of taking a ryzen a couple of years ago...

Last edited:

00_Zer0

A month away? Why AMD?

I'd like to know too. I have pretty much decided on getting an RTX 3080 at launch(if I'm fast enough before they run out), but if AMD could give me information before the 17th about their newest cards maybe it would change my mind on a few conditions.

1. They have a card close in performance to the RTX 3080.

2. Offer their own form of DLSS 2.0 that is as good as Nvidia's.

3. Raytracing that doesn't eat into the performance of the card like Nvidia's 20 series did.

Since I doubt any of those conditions can be met and AMD will be late for the party anyway I'm going team green this time.

Last edited:

jonnyp

I'd like to know too. I have pretty much decided on getting an RTX 3080 at launch(if I'm fast enough before they run out), but if AMD could give me information before the 17th about their newest cards maybe it would change my mind on a few conditions.

1. They have a card close in performance to the RTX 3080.

2. Offer their own form of DLSS 2.0 that is as good as Nvidia's.

3. Raytracing that doesn't eat into the performance of the card like Nvidia's 20 series did.

Since I doubt any of those conditions can be met and AMD will be late for the party anyway I'm going team green this time.

I think Abriael_GN Abriael_GN diagnosed it correctly. If they had upcoming products that could compete they would have announced them already. Otherwise the people in charge of their Radeon division and PR are utterly incompetent.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Good to know.

Oh wait a sec, is my memory fucked or motherboard for amd cpus have problem with some ram brands\models? Like compatibility problems?! I heard that when i choose my current 8600k instead of taking a ryzen a couple of years ago...

Back then ryzen had issues with memory over 3,200 mhz. Now these issues are solved on the newer CPUs, but the sweet spot for ryzen remains between 3,000 and 3,600 mhz. I wouldn't go higher with any system anyway.

Just make sure the memory you're getting is explicitly supported by your mobo, and you're fine, but again, I'd do the same with any system regardless of brand.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Back then ryzen had issues with memory over 3,200 mhz. Now these issues are solved on the newer CPUs, but the sweet spot for ryzen remains between 3,000 and 3,600 mhz. I wouldn't go higher with any system anyway.

Just make sure the memory you're getting is explicitly supported by your mobo, and you're fine, but again, I'd do the same with any system regardless of brand.
Yeah, Newegg just had a sale on 32(2x16) Meg's of Corsair Vengeance XMP 3600 MHz ram meant for Intel, and I picked them up for my Ryzen system. I just went into my Asus Tuf X570 Gaming plus mobo and changed to DOCP and selected 3600 MHz, and ram is running great without any hitches.

Last edited:

GymWolf

yeah when i bough my current ram i readed that more than 3200 mhz was uselles most of the times.

i don't know if this will change when ddr5 comes out...

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah, Newegg just had a sale on 32(2x16) Meg's of Corsair Vengeance XMP 3600 MHz ram meant for Intel, and I picked them up for my Ryzen system. I just went into my Asus Tuf X570 Gaming plus mobo and changed to DOCP and selected 3600 MHz, and ram is running great without any hitches.

Haha I have literally the same mobo. :lollipop_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Amey

Looks like Zen3 is 5000. Skipping 4000 to get next APU naming in line.

Last edited:

nochance

Banned
If you keep buying the most expensive cards they make, you essentially buy the ones they sell the least and spend the least time troubleshooting. My strategy is buy mid-tier and replace faster.
I usually buy high end and keep one lower end system in case I sell all of the other PCs (left with 1 office PC and the low end system to feed my touch screen "arcade" at the moment). I replace my hardware every half a year or so, I know people working in system building companies and attend auctions to get hardware for cheap - flipping PCs is a hobby that allows me to essentially upgrade my hardware without spending a penny (actually making quite a bit of extra cash).

It's difficult to do that with mid range hardware (investment to profit is not quite there).

GiJoint

This. AMD drivers are fucking atrocious and make everyone who tries them run screaming back to Nvidia, even if they have to pay double. It’s a sad state of affairs
Definitely true, what is with AMD and bad drivers? It’s always a thing for them.

I’m so wary of Team Red GPUs that even if on paper they come out with something amazing - stability and drivers will always come to the forefront.

Ascend

It's funny that you'd call someone else on "fanaticism" when you're here to try to defend AMD's drivers (while bringing up anecdotal sensationalist stuff to back up your lack of arguments). That's something pretty much only a fanatic would do. 😂
I never said AMD has zero driver problems. And more importantly, I'm not the one saying only side has problems...

Oct 28th is kind of late, especially if they claim they will release the graphics cards before the consoles. Oh well. At least it's still this year, rather than late next year.

Good to know.

The first generation of Ryzen CPUs were finicky with memory. They did work, but became unstable very quickly above 2933 MHz. The subsequent processors resolved that.

There is barely any difference in software between the Radeon GPU and the Ryzen CPU side. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just like everyone cherrypicks their news sources for Radeon driver issues and bully me for doing the same for nVidia, here's one for their CPUs;

It's not a mass problem, and nothing to really worry about. Same for their GPUs, same for nVidia's GPUs, and the same for Intel chipsets and motherboards.
People get angry when you criticize nVidia. It's basically the same as trying to criticize Jesus in front of a Christian, or criticizing women in front of feminists. As The Skull already mentioned above, AMD's issues are overblown and nVidia's are swept under the rug.

Last edited:

notseqi

Good to know.

Not that I know of, Ryzen was already advertised for as high Mhz in RAM as possible.

People get angry when you criticize nVidia.
It's a bit of the 'I decided to buy this, so it's the best'-mentality. For sure Nvidia has been ruling GPUs a fair bit but people buying mid-tier can't complain about performance and pricing from AMD.

mitchman

Gold Member
Good to know.

Not with Zen 2, that was with previous CPUs.

Top Bottom