• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We believe in generations:' PlayStation argues cross-gen games risk stifling innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrS

Banned
He just gives off a different vibe than all the other guys before him. Comes off like a corporate dickhead rather than a gamer imo.
I like him. He's quite personable and avuncular. He does have a tendency to put his foot in his mouth though, I won't deny that. I agree that he's definitely more of a corporate guy than gamer and is perhaps a little out of touch with your average PS owner.

Last edited:

Concern

Are they doing the same thing? I thought all the Xbox games would be playable on the Xbox One.

We don't know about GoW yet. But Phil said support for Xbox one would be 2 years and Jim said up to 4 years for Ps4.

It'd be convenient for them to ditch this gen in a year imo. The sooner they can take full advantage of the hardware.

Just imagine 4 years supporting Ps4 for example and we get Ps5 pro within 3 or 4 years. That'd be a real shitty thing imo.

We don't know about GoW yet. But Phil said support for Xbox one would be 2 years and Jim said up to 4 years for Ps4.

It'd be convenient for them to ditch this gen in a year imo. The sooner they can take full advantage of the hardware.

Just imagine 4 years supporting Ps4 for example and we get Ps5 pro within 3 or 4 years. That'd be a real shitty thing imo.
Uh, Jim Ryan said that the PS4 will remain important for the next 3 or 4 years. That’s different from saying that there will be no next-gen exclusive. In fact, there is a next gen exclusive on day 1.

Zj3TMUf.png

dano1

A Sheep
I think people are misunderstanding what he meant
Basically not forcing anyone that wants to make a next Gen only game to make it for the PS4 also. But if they want they can!
Why is this so hard to understand??!!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: LMJ

Ten_Fold

I’ve said before outside of demon souls, I don’t find the ps5 that much more appealing than the Xbox series X. The fact that Sony has ps3 games appearing on the ps5 seems interesting though.

CamHostage

The difference is that Phil said EVERYTHING would be on Xbox One for those few years, whereas Jim is saying SOME would be on PS4.

The case-by-case choices make a difference, because if you know you need to make a game for the old platform, you have to make choices early on about how to make that happen. (You can make a game that's wholly "next-gen" and then kick it down to some porting team to worry about how to pull off or cut out of the lesser version, but given the development timelines and the way current engines work, that'd be the harder choice to commit to for a game producer.) If you're open to but not locked into cross-gen or if your producer is amenable to shopping for port studios once the base project is up and running to weigh the possibility of a port-down, then you've got a lot more latitude to make decisions for your project.

It's still an embarrassing turn of events (not like Sony didn't know these PS4 versions were in the works... meanwhile, Microsoft has dropped all listings of Xbox One versions of games, so they seem to have done an about-face as well, albeit a positive one, though we'll see if they canceled the One versions or just delisted them in official pages until the heat dies down,) but to a gamer, there's a bit of a difference in the approach still that could matter in the products. Ideally, it all doesn't matter; Microsoft seems confident (or seemed, at least... they deleted almost every cross-gen mention when Halo Infinite farted) in the power of scaling and effects/material layering to do everything they want to do next-gen for the first few years until "real next-gen engines" are ready, while Sony is not putting a requirement on its developers to deal with the cross-gen question if it's out of the scope of the project. And in this turbulent launch year, it has not mattered, partly because of delays but also because execs for both companies appear to be way more think-alike today than they were when they first shot their mouths off about their future platforms.

...But in reality, I'm real happy R&C Rift Apart is running under Sony's playbook instead of Microsoft's and that the makers don't have to figure out some way of getting that next-gen game concept to run on an old PS4. (...Yet?)

I'm not sure what you mean by different versions of games. There aren't two teams developing different Horizon's here...

We actually do not know yet how they're handling Horizon FW PS4. It'll depend on the approach they take to the versions.

It could be a partner studio making the separate version, it could be an internal team doing a separate build on the previous version of Decima Engine, or it could be that they really are outputting both versions from the same product development system. If they're getting a porting partner or sister-studio, then whatever; each product is responsible to what it promises on the box and otherwise both versions could differ as much as need be. If however they are following what you say and just dual-developing one base project for 2 console generations, though, that would be potentially bad for PS5 since it would be a general "cross-gen" project scaled up and down between the systems, essentially incapable of fully using the high-spec aside from maybe some functions that get cut from the low-spec. (Unfortunately, this latter approach is a pretty likely scenario, as it's cost-effective and quicker.)

The only thing we officially know right now is that there will be a "PS4 version" of Horizon Forbidden West.

"To support the PlayStation 4 community as they transition to the next generation when they're ready, SIE will launch PS4™ versions of a few exclusive titles: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West”

Also, we know that at least these features (which are all pretty much story points) listed on the official site should be in both products, since that is what Sony is essentially 'selling'' right now.

So, it'll be interesting when we hear more about the versions (although Spider-Man Miles Morales ships in like 48 hours and we're just now seeing the PS4 version, so it may be a wait...)

Last edited:

Concern

Uh, Jim Ryan said that the PS4 will remain important for the next 3 or 4 years. That’s different from saying that there will be no next-gen exclusive. In fact, there is a next gen exclusive on day 1.

We don't know for sure. Remember the slide after the original trailer for demon souls says console exclusive for a limited time.

We don't know for sure. Remember the slide after the original trailer for demon souls says console exclusive for a limited time.

Demon's Souls of all games coming to PS4 at a later date makes absolutely no sense. If they were going to make it cross gen it'd be day and date of the PS5 version

Concern

Demon's Souls of all games coming to PS4 at a later date makes absolutely no sense. If they were going to make it cross gen it'd be day and date of the PS5 version

Of course it does. There 110 millions potential sales there. But right now its the biggest next gen exclusive.

Then they take the rest of the money off the table of the people who haven't upgraded yet. They led us to believe everything was next gen only as well till that event. So there's really no way in knowing for sure. Only time will tell.

Of course it does. There 110 millions potential sales there. But right now its the biggest next gen exclusive.

Then they take the rest of the money off the table of the people who haven't upgraded yet. They led us to believe everything was next gen only as well till that event. So there's really no way in knowing for sure. Only time will tell.

If the aim was to sell PS5s with a PS5 exclusive and once they were happy, port it to PS4 for the additional sales, they would have done this with Miles Morales or Horizon

Not Demon's Souls

Concern

If the aim was to sell PS5s with a PS5 exclusive and once they were happy, port it to PS4 for the additional sales, they would have done this with Miles Morales or Horizon

Not Demon's Souls

Remember mm is only an expansion type of deal like First Light. If it was a full on sequel, it'd be way bigger possibly even than DS. Plus Demon Souls has been requested for awhile now, so Its the perfect game to draw people in.

Demon Souls gives me that fomo feeling but i don't feel i need to be in day 1 just for that game.

Remember mm is only an expansion type of deal like First Light. If it was a full on sequel, it'd be way bigger possibly even than DS. Plus Demon Souls has been requested for awhile now, so Its the perfect game to draw people in.

Demon Souls gives me that fomo feeling but i don't feel i need to be in day 1 just for that game.

Demon's Souls isn't going to sell more than MM though, even if it wasn't a PS5 exclusive.

It might be a expansion like title but it's not being marketed like one. For all intents and purposes it's THE PS5 launch game

Concern

Demon's Souls isn't going to sell more than MM though, even if it wasn't a PS5 exclusive.

It might be a expansion like title but it's not being marketed like one. For all intents and purposes it's THE PS5 launch game

Of course not. Its on both platforms and Demon Souls is mostly for a niche crowd. But Im expecting a great attach rate for it with the Ps5.

Kagey K

Banned
Of course not. Its on both platforms and Demon Souls is mostly for a niche crowd. But Im expecting a great attach rate for it with the Ps5.
And people that hate Souls will remember why they hate it. Those that got good, will cook through it in under 5 hours.

GymWolf

Last edited:
Not really what he said, unless I’m missing a post on another page.
I can’t say which page for sure but he said Sony and MS are doing the same thing and that Sony will be supporting the PS4 for even longer than MS - 4 years, disregarding the fact that Sony has a next-gen exclusise day 1.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
He just knows how to manipulate the hordes of blind Sony followers. Comments in this thread being proof.

I wonder if any journalist will have the balls to question him on what he actually meant now that all their big games are actually cross-gen.
59CS06U.jpg

It'll go like this.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Reading this thread - then this week's PS5 crossgen followup thread is one of the funniest things on the internet.
Sony fanboys got played so hard.

Ma-Yuan

Reading this thread - then this week's PS5 crossgen followup thread is one of the funniest things on the internet.
Sony fanboys got played so hard.
True didn't age well and was totally misleading by Sony but then again those cross Gen exclusives blow everything away I saw von ms so far 🤣

Papacheeks

Banned
He just knows how to manipulate the hordes of blind Sony followers. Comments in this thread being proof.

I wonder if any journalist will have the balls to question him on what he actually meant now that all their big games are actually cross-gen.

How is Rift apart, and Demons souls Cross gen? Next couple months are going to fucking hilarious around here.

Like the actual article literally references a PS5 only game as to what they are talking about. They say nothing about Horizon, GOW, GT7 being PS5 only. They specifically name and talk about Ratchet and how it's use in how it's designed around the ssd makes it very hard to have it on PS4.

Read people, read.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
How is Rift apart, and Demons souls Cross gen? Next couple months are going to fucking hilarious around here.
It's two games without the reach or budget of the cross gen titles. Also look at the timing of all the PS4 version announcements including the late Miles PS4 announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom