• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We believe in generations:' PlayStation argues cross-gen games risk stifling innovation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethal01

This was simply argued as being a horrible thing for the ENTIRE reason people though MS was doing it and sony wasn't.

I suppose I just never had this impression, never though they were saying that they would have ZERO cross gen games. Just that they would have a bunch of big next gen exclusives(which they do) but don't want anyone to think I'm downplaying how shitty it was they would lead people to thinking that Spiderman of Horizon were exclusive.

Shubh_C63

Tell me you guys didn't know this already.

Cross gen games DOES stifle innovation, this will never not be true.
Year-1 exclusive games are cross gen because of historic PS4 numbers, Xbox strategy and idk God is good ?

We all know going forward Year2.5+ they will be PS5 exclusives. Where is the point of conjecture.

Sakura

Going to post this here too:
Like you guys have never seen a console launch before, of course games are cross gen the first 1-2 years. Some companies will continue that the entire time! This is a classic case of who gives a shit, you're making a big deal out of nothing.
Also comparing this to the series X and series S is dumb. The series X and S SHARE THE EXACT SAME VERSIONS, more akin to PS4 and PS4 Pro. So yes, next gen versions of games are actually held back by the series S. The PS4 and PS5 have different versions of games meaning they can do completely different optimization between the versions. There is a generational gap between a PS4 and PS5 version. The PS4 version of a game needs to support the PS4 and Pro. The PS5 only has to focus on the PS5, PS5 is NOT held back by PS4. There is a generational difference. This is NOT the case for the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.

In otherwords, Jim didn't lie.
Sure there are always crossgen games, but the crossgen games are usually 3rd party stuff. Like CoD or Assassin's Creed wants to be on as many platforms as possible. But the console manufacturers usually have a number of first party/exclusive titles to sell their new system and show the power of it, especially when it comes to big titles.
I'm not sure what you mean by different versions of games. There aren't two teams developing different Horizon's here. A new generation of hardware is more than just resolution and visual effects. For example, much more complex character models etc might not be able to run on the previous generation of hardware, in which case simply lowering the resolution and other effects is not going to be enough. You'd have to build entirely new, less demanding models, structures, etc. which of course is technically possible, but that in and of itself demands time and resources that could've been otherwise spent on a version built exclusively for the new console. Same with scope of the game world and other stuff. Naturally, building two completely different versions of one game doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, so they typically build a game based on the fact that it needs to also run on older hardware, which is why the game is "held back".
If they can build a game that isn't held back by the older hardware, then it isn't really a generational leap, is it?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Both games are Horizon 2 and Spiderman 2. They already have the game engine. They both are basically expansion or games built from the other.

Not sticking up for Sony but they are not going to start from scratch and build new versions of the same game on PS5. Maybe if it was a new IP or a IP not made within the last 5 years.

people on here we're saying that Spiderman miles was in no way possible on ps4, lots of people here just look a bit silly at the moment. I think it looks really good as Spiderman my fave ps4 game so will be getting this day one

people on here we're saying that Spiderman miles was in no way possible on ps4, lots of people here just look a bit silly at the moment. I think it looks really good as Spiderman my fave ps4 game so will be getting this day one

Except for PS4, it won't have raytracing so all the lighting has to be pre-baked.

Journey

Banned
1iLvcFk.jpg

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think you and I are pretty much on the same page here, with the only difference being that I view this more like a "glass half full" rather than a "glass half empty" situation.

Relative to PS3, Sony has more incentive to keep the PS4 kicking around longer because it was a noticeably more popular system, with a much more active user base. It's a lot like PS1 & PS2 in that regard.

PS3's extended support after PS4 release mostly consisted of LBP3, MLB The Show, and downloadable games where they shared resources with PS4 & Vita releases. I mean, that doesn't sound like anything to grab about on the surface, but here's a hard-hitting fact to ponder: Sony released a larger number of first-party games for PS3 in 2014, than Microsoft released for Xbox One throughout 2018 and 2019 combined.

Don't take my word for it. Let the game lists from Wikipedia tell the story:

List of Sony first-party games

List of Microsoft first-party games

With that in mind, you'll have to forgive me if I'm not exactly convinced that Xbox One is going to magically undergo some sort of glorious first-party gaming renaissance over the next two years.
Interesting that Minecraft is listed as a first party Sony title there lol.

Let’s take that out, and there were 2 games. That ain’t support.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Did you happen to notice all of the downloadable games?
Who gives a shit about tiny little indie games that were made by third party studios lol. Sony didn’t make them.

You’re fighting really hard here to defend Sony here, and all you’re doing is making yourself look like a giant fanboy.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

"In terms of compatibility, it is important to move PS4 titles on PS5, but I have insisted that forward compatibility (supplying the same titles as PS5 to PS4) is important," Nishino said.

"The current assumption is that the transition from PS4 to PS5 will take about three years. In the meantime, how can I keep buying games on PS4? Can the purchased games be played on PS5? That is important."

"At a certain time, we ask developers to develop on the premise of "cross generation" of PS4 and PS5. Of course, we also need to improve the library to make it easier."

An early version of this plan has already been laid out with games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West releasing both on PS4 and PS5.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7614....it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown

Last edited:
"In terms of compatibility, it is important to move PS4 titles on PS5, but I have insisted that forward compatibility (supplying the same titles as PS5 to PS4) is important," Nishino said.

"The current assumption is that the transition from PS4 to PS5 will take about three years. In the meantime, how can I keep buying games on PS4? Can the purchased games be played on PS5? That is important."

"At a certain time, we ask developers to develop on the premise of "cross generation" of PS4 and PS5. Of course, we also need to improve the library to make it easier."

An early version of this plan has already been laid out with games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West releasing both on PS4 and PS5.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7614....it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown

Demon's Souls though. Also Returnal. Insomniac has said many times that Rachet and Clank is PS5 -only.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more next-gen exclusive first-party games. The keyword is first-party games. Sony cannot impose the same on 3rd-party devs and publishers.

Last edited:
Spiderman MM and Horizon (I think Sackboy adventures too) all are FP.

That's where Jim Ryan stumbled. He should have been clear about those titles early on.

But the next-gen exclusives are coming in PS5's first year alone compared to xsex no next-gen games for 2 years. I doubt third-party devs will make next-gen only games.

I expect Sony as one of the major publishers, if not the only publisher, to make next-gen only games early on. And those games will stand out over cross-gen games.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
That's where Jim Ryan stumbled. He should have been clear about those titles early on.

But the next-gen exclusives are coming in PS5's first year alone compared to xsex no next-gen games for 2 years. I doubt third-party games will make next-gen only games.

I expect Sony as one of the major publishers, if not the only publisher, to makes next-gen only games early on. And those games will stand out over cross-gen games.

I find it hard to believe this as they have been wishy washy about support. I fully believe some of their games will be on both and some wont for the next few years.

Lol @ the people arguing MS saying 2 years was bad.

It is bad. Their cross-gen games are being held back by the 1.3TF Xbone as evidenced by Halo Infinite. They have no Demon's Sould, Returnal, and Rachet and Clank which are next-gen exclusive games.

They should have followed Sony which has a next-gen only game even on launch day. Plenty more next-gen only games coming in the first year, let alone in its second year.

I find it hard to believe this as they have been wishy washy about support. I fully believe some of their games will be on both and some wont for the next few years.

I'm sure there'll be cross-gen games too that are held back by current-gen like Halo Infinite.

But the fact that there are already 3 known games that are next-gen exclusives bodes well for PS5 first two years impressing gamers with AAA games only possible on PS5.

Bergoglio

I'm sure there'll be cross-gen games too that are held back by current-gen like Halo Infinite.

But the fact that there are already 3 known games that are next-gen exclusives bodes well for PS5 first two years impressing gamers with AAA games only possible on PS5.

Halo Infinite is the only title confirmed (for now) to be cross gen. All the others exclusives are confirmed to be only on Series.

Elias

god of war 2 is not confirmed as next gen exclusive.

Rolla

Banned
It's crazy because the generations thing is still playing out in PS' favour in terms of the broader public perception.

Obviously here on forums such as this we understand that there are caveats and conjecture but to the broader public... Miles Morales, Sackboy, Godfall, Demon Souls, and Dualsense are unanswered in terms of setting the next gen narrative.

MrS

Banned
Phil said they'd support the xbox one for two years and Jim said they'd support the Ps4 4 years. This thread has certainly aged well.

GoW: Ragnarok ends up cross gen, its going to get ugly here.
If it looks as good as Miles Morales, I can live with it. SSM with this tech will still be able to do great things.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's crazy because the generations thing is still playing out in PS' favour in terms of the broader public perception.

Obviously here on forums such as this we understand that there are caveats and conjecture but to the broader public... Miles Morales, Sackboy, Godfall, Demon Souls, and Dualsense are unanswered in terms of setting the next gen narrative.
By broader public perception do you mean gaming forums? Have there been polls on how the generations think has been perceived by the public?

Concern

If it looks as good as Miles Morales, I can live with it. SSM with this tech will still be able to do great things.

I don't care, I'd just play it on my launch ps4 if i haven't upgraded by then (which i doubt). But "believe in generations" was used as fuel for these plastic wars and in then both companies are doing the same thing.

Reactions: MrS

oldergamer

I kept telling people there is nothing stopping a cross gen game from looking good.

For one people keep using halo infinite as an example of why cross gen is bad, and now people are using spiderman as an example why its good? Gears 5 looks good on both and its cross gen too.

Halo infinite looked the way it did because it was unfinished. Visually it didnt look as good as halo 5, but people keep forgetting that. I

oldergamer

It is bad. Their cross-gen games are being held back by the 1.3TF Xbone as evidenced by Halo Infinite. They have no Demon's Sould, Returnal, and Rachet and Clank which are next-gen exclusive games.

They should have followed Sony which has a next-gen only game even on launch day. Plenty more next-gen only games coming in the first year, let alone in its second year.
If you are gonna reply to me dont with the bs talk. Demon souls is not my type of game at all. You fight too few enemies and the bosses are too simple. Great visuals but the rest doesnt hold up.

Anyway even before the bethesda purchase ms hadnt shown what half the first party studios were working on. We will see i guess.

Last edited:
I don't care, I'd just play it on my launch ps4 if i haven't upgraded by then (which i doubt). But "believe in generations" was used as fuel for these plastic wars and in then both companies are doing the same thing.
Are they doing the same thing? I thought all the Xbox games would be playable on the Xbox One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom