• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are on the cusp of a Square Renaissance.

Labadal

They've done a lot of cool stuff in recent years. They will also do a lot of crappy stuff. Overall, I am looking forward to some of their games.

Dragon Quest 2DHD, Dragon Quest XII, Yoko Taro's new game, the new Mana title, the new SaGa title, and Triangle Strategy are games that I am very likely to buy, as long as they are offline games.

My top ten Square games in the last five years:
SaGa Scarlet Grace
Octopath Traveler
Bravely Default II
NEO: The World Ends With You
Dungeon Encounters
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Trials of Mana
SaGa Frontier Remaster
Nier 1.2

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The Golden Age of Square was during the PS1 era and I don't think it can ever be touched. FFVII, FF Tactics, Xenogears and Vagrant Story are all in my top 50 of all-time. Parasite Eve, Einhander, FFVIII, FFIX, Saga Frontier, Front Mission 3 and Brave Fencer Musashi are all fantastic top-tier games too. There is a bunch more stuff I'm leaving out but yea, this was a special time.

I'm excited for a lot of the games listed but it's not even close and half of them are remakes/remasters anyway (most hyped for next chapter in FF7R, FFXVI and FFT/Tactics Ogre remasters).

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
nah I'd say you just sound bitter.

With them breaking so many records with their new titles like KH, FF, DQ and many new IP like Octopath, I think they are doing just fine. FFVII remake and FF9 remake in the works is a cherry on top.

I generally believe the community exaggerates the shit out of many, many things. I say this as a fan of Metal Gear Solid....always remember it could be worse, they could be Konami.

Its why I think the crying and whining and fan fiction writing is a bit absurd when I feel Square is doing just fine.

Sequels, remakes, new IP, remasters of older games...I don't even know what more can really, REALLY be asked. They took risk, they put out new games, some flopped, many did well. It was a respectable effort and I think the community simply doesn't see this, they make it sound like not getting FF6 remake means death or something. Not getting some fanfiction version of a old title from elementary school isn't some death sentence vs no major Metal Gear Solid, no major Silent Hill, no Zone Of Enders, no Castlevania...for a WHOLE GENERATION! Its why I remind people that THAT is what bad is, that is a royal fuck up.

FFXV is not THAT bad of a fuck up, neither is KH3 or FFVII remake or anything like that.

I would have liked a better story from FFXV, I would have liked FF characters in KH3, I would have liked FFVII remake to be a complete thing vs ep, but I'm ok with that if that is what it takes to complete the project realistically with modern design, but those are not end of the world type situations as gamers tend to try their hardest to pretend they are lol

That isn't MG Surivive, that isn't Silent Hills canned bad, that isn't CP2077 the game crashing 60 times and AI doesn't exist bad.

I would have loved shit like Parasite Eve remake or a HD collection or something, but I never let that personal opinion cloud my judgement on how I believe they truly did during a generation. So with them moving as much units as they have ever moved, its the only thing I truly can measure with this to be honest, forthcoming and objective as I can be.

That being said, I do believe the should get back on Deus Ex as clearly a market is open for that type of RPG if they look at CP2077, Watchdogs series etc.
I agree with most of what you’re saying. The second coming of 1990s Squaresoft Jesus isn’t at hand, but neither is Square Enix circling the drain. Fanboys are incapable of nuance and speak only in hyperbole.

Personally I’ve enjoyed every mainline FF game even though all of them have their flaws. If you listened to only the most vocal of the FF fan base, you’d think that each new mainline game has been an abomination that destroyed the soul of the series.

And yeah that shit has been going on for a long time. I remember around the FF 7 launch, some vocal members of the fandom saying stuff like “I want to play a game, not watch a damn movie”, “remember when it used to be Final FANTASY?” etc

Iced Arcade

I hope they can con Microsoft into buying Crystal Dynamics and the rest of the Edios crap so they can reinvest the money into more Japanese games.
see I hope the same but because I think Crystal and the Edios "crap" deserves more attention. I have zero interest in all that trying to figure out if the character is a male or female with swords the size of surfboards (each their own)

RAIDEN1

The only renaissance I am interested in is to see where Adam Jensen is heading to next.....a.k.a Deus EX! It is about time there was another installment..

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Disagree. They were mediocre to bland games. Dungeon Encounters is a game that COULD have had a chance but they said "we're giving you 20 dollars to make this so do what you can". Tastes are subjective so I'll give you that they have taken some small budget chances with non-sequels. Still nothing like we saw even a few gens prior.
You bitch that they don’t make new IPs. You bitch that they don’t have classical JRPG turn-based games. You literally just want a reason to bitch, mate. Also you clearly don’t remember a few generations prior. These kinds of games were the norm for Square. Even during the “golden age” of JRPGs. Most of them were above average to good titles. Only a handful were the likes of Final Fantasy VI or Secret of Mana.
Thanks for the expert analysis, I had no idea companies were out to make money.
Clearly it needed to be stated as you are acting like this is some new revelation and a reason to cry about a company.
Completely untrue. I really enjoyed the first KH. I liked the 2nd. I did not like the majority of the spinoffs. The fact that they took the guaranteed cash from EGS means they have no confidence in the IP on the PC platform. I'm not even going to respond to your "durr hurr it's just another launcher" point because it's been explained to death in other threads. You know or can easily find out why people don't want to support EGS paid exclusivity bullshit, but are being purposefully disingenuous here. Steam or GoG would never pay for exclusivity, so your whole point is trash.
Nah, its just another launcher. It being on EGS and not on Steam/GoG means *litearlly* nothing outside of whiny infants who can’t handle downloading another launcher to use on their machines. You are the one who is projecting this retarded as fuck mindset that “they clearly don’t have faith” because they used EGS? Get the fuck out of here.
Confirmed battle system changes for DQXII, darker tone, "future of the series for the next 20 years". All of these things sound like they're throwing the DQ fans out with the bathwater.
No, that doesn’t. Just sounds like there area few changes and you are jumping the shark so you can get your hate boner ready.
I will give you that I have no evidence of focus tested trash with FFXVI, but I guess you and I will both be in a "wait and see" situation with it. Final Fantasy May Cry is not what I was hoping for, personally.
Ok? Whether or not it is what *you* wanted personally doesn’t suddenly make your asinine claims true.
Disagree. The music arrangements are fantastic, the pixel art is worse than any of the PSP entries. There was good content stripped for no good reason and replaced with nothing. This is subjective I guess, but I won't say that the pixel remasters are the definitive way to play all but maybe 1 of the games.
Pixel art is entirely subjective and the PSP titles didn’t even *use* pixel art. As for “no good reason”, they literally stated they wanted to port the original releases. Not the GBA or PS1 versions. It’s why we have the return of the classical magic system and not an MP bar in 1. It’s why we don’t have the augment system in 4. You are, again, talking out your ass.
Just because you have this nebulous group of people that like it doesn't invalidate or remove the group of people that thought the time ghosts were bullshit. All SE had to do was give a faithful remake, and they chose not to. As far as success goes, how are the sales for the FVII:R Yuffie DLC? I honestly don't know. I'm guessing since they shafted PS4 players and you subtract those fans that were disappointed with time ghost shenanigans, they probably aren't great. Still think that "whoah bro, sales dude" is the right answer here?
Prove to me that the majority of fans hated FF7:R. Prove to me that Square Enix royally pissed off the core fan base. This is *your* claim and you have nothing to back it up. So I will continue to think you are just a bitter angry fanboy who didn’t get what he wanted.
Disregarded, different opinions != trolling.
Except what you stated weren’t opinions. Your were pushing them as facts. That is trolling.
DQ11 is great, one of my favorite JRPGs from last gen. That has nothing to do with this conversation. FFVII:R had over 5mil sales, minus the estimated 200 million to make (may be inaccurate, got it from an article linked from GameFAQs), minus marketing, costs of material etc. It was a success, but massive may be the wrong word. FFXIV, like FFXI before it, continue to be huge earners for the company.
Once again, provide evidence instead of talking out your ass. Also using GameFAQs as a source? I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren’t that stupid.
Blanket statement, they also release garbage.

Disagree, which is my point. They are releasing safe sequels, changing longtime franchises to get a piece of that "western" success since JP aren't buying consoles that aren't Nintendo anymore. The people that are happy with SE's current and near future output are the same ones totally fine with slurping up Forza 10 and Uncharted 6. To be clear, I don't mind sequels, but S-E is doing nothing to promote their smaller IPs nor giving them the budget that they deserve to make a real dent in the mindshare of gamers. They were all completely shocked by the success of Nier: Auotmata, and have since literally whored the IP out to any mobile game that will give them some profit share for a collaboration.
I would suggest you open your eyes and play more games. You have a clear and ignorant view of the gaming landscape.

Also “whoring out the IP”? Literally everyone does that, though the correct term would be “marketing”. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft - Fucking hell we have Indie games who “whore” out their IP characters such as Shovel Knight these days.
There's nobody left in the company like Gooch, Tanaka, Takahashi, or Nojima. Ito is still with the company, but I can't explain what he's been doing the past decade.
And yet we have folks like Yoshi P., Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase, Yuu Miyake, and more. Clearly many who are talented enough to continue to produce and release high quality games.

Let’s be real here: All your posts come down to is ”I don’t like the games they put out, therefore they are shit” and not that they actually are doing a poor job.

Pejo

You bitch that they don’t make new IPs. You bitch that they don’t have classical JRPG turn-based games. You literally just want a reason to bitch, mate. Also you clearly don’t remember a few generations prior. These kinds of games were the norm for Square. Even during the “golden age” of JRPGs. Most of them were above average to good titles. Only a handful were the likes of Final Fantasy VI or Secret of Mana.

Clearly it needed to be stated as you are acting like this is some new revelation and a reason to cry about a company.

Nah, its just another launcher. It being on EGS and not on Steam/GoG means *litearlly* nothing outside of whiny infants who can’t handle downloading another launcher to use on their machines. You are the one who is projecting this retarded as fuck mindset that “they clearly don’t have faith” because they used EGS? Get the fuck out of here.

No, that doesn’t. Just sounds like there area few changes and you are jumping the shark so you can get your hate boner ready.

Ok? Whether or not it is what *you* wanted personally doesn’t suddenly make your asinine claims true.

Pixel art is entirely subjective and the PSP titles didn’t even *use* pixel art. As for “no good reason”, they literally stated they wanted to port the original releases. Not the GBA or PS1 versions. It’s why we have the return of the classical magic system and not an MP bar in 1. It’s why we don’t have the augment system in 4. You are, again, talking out your ass.

Prove to me that the majority of fans hated FF7:R. Prove to me that Square Enix royally pissed off the core fan base. This is *your* claim and you have nothing to back it up. So I will continue to think you are just a bitter angry fanboy who didn’t get what he wanted.

Except what you stated weren’t opinions. Your were pushing them as facts. That is trolling.

Once again, provide evidence instead of talking out your ass. Also using GameFAQs as a source? I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you aren’t that stupid.

I would suggest you open your eyes and play more games. You have a clear and ignorant view of the gaming landscape.

Also “whoring out the IP”? Literally everyone does that, though the correct term would be “marketing”. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft - Fucking hell we have Indie games who “whore” out their IP characters such as Shovel Knight these days.

And yet we have folks like Yoshi P., Tetsuya Nomura, Yoshinori Kitase, Yuu Miyake, and more. Clearly many who are talented enough to continue to produce and release high quality games.

Let’s be real here: All your posts come down to is ”I don’t like the games they put out, therefore they are shit” and not that they actually are doing a poor job.
iu

Personal insults aside, I don't get where your vitriol comes from. We were just having a discussion about whether or not we think S-E is in a renaissance, and I gave my reasons that I didn't think so. Unless you are being paid by S-E to defend them, you need some help my man. I'm disengaging from this, I don't need the snarkiness from you.

Enjay

Banned
And it will be just as dumb as the people who claim capcpcom are genius simply for digging themselves out of a mess that they created for themselves.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What if I dont like Final Fantasy?

Then you have NieR, Dragon Quest, Mana, SaGa, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, and plenty others to play.
iu

Personal insults aside, I don't get where your vitriol comes from. We were just having a discussion about whether or not we think S-E is in a renaissance, and I gave my reasons that I didn't think so. Unless you are being paid by S-E to defend them, you need some help my man. I'm disengaging from this, I don't need the snarkiness from you.

So you have no proof on any of the claims you made and are trying to create strawman arguments now?

Cool, good to know you were just blowing hot smoke out your ass.

Labadal

They HAVE improved from the PS360 generation. There are some very good games released, but they simply can't compare to the olden days. They released classic after classic at an insane pace in the 90's early 00's. It's simply not doable now.

Square Enix have released good games lately, and they have games with great potential, but they will never reach SNES/PS levels, imo.

Tactics Ogre Remastered? Yes please.

FF9 had too much battle slowdown. Would like a good remaster, but if they remake the thing, hope they do it justice.

kyoji

You're getting tiresome. You hate everything unless it's unpopular. You have no opinions of your own - you just hate on anything other people like. Maybe you should just give up gaming since you hate it so much.
Dont waste your time , dudes a moron. He came into a fighting game thread with some unfounded bullshit once, the one good post i ever seen him make recently turned out to be fake news. Hes just some 12 year old going through puberty trying to become some type of edge lord in his own mind.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Dont waste your time , dudes a moron. He came into a fighting game thread with some unfounded bullshit once, the one good post i ever seen him make recently turned out to be fake news. Hes just some 12 year old going through puberty trying to become some type of edge lord in his own mind.
Oy, I never take the dude seriously.
I thought being a negative nancy was just his "schtick"

giphy-5-1583660947-1583660949.gif

Ill buy anything with the Akira Toriyama art style.

Blue Dragon,
Dragon Quest,
Chrono Cross?

Besides that.. eh.

You're getting tiresome. You hate everything unless it's unpopular. You have no opinions of your own - you just hate on anything other people like. Maybe you should just give up gaming since you hate it so much.
I call it GooGoo brain. It’s it’s shtick. Makes it happy.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Star Ocean as a part of renaissance ?? buahahaha

Have you guys even try out the last Star Ocean ? I would be very skeptical if it's me . Golden era huh , let's not get ahead of yourself , if ... and let say if FF16 is anywhere near being competent then I might change my mind .

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I would agree simply because they are finally bringing back Strategy RPGs.
Final Fantasy Tactics is still the best game with "Final Fantasy" in the title.
I really hope the FFT and Tactics Ogre Remasters are real.

EDMIX

I agree with most of what you’re saying. The second coming of 1990s Squaresoft Jesus isn’t at hand, but neither is Square Enix circling the drain. Fanboys are incapable of nuance and speak only in hyperbole.

Personally I’ve enjoyed every mainline FF game even though all of them have their flaws. If you listened to only the most vocal of the FF fan base, you’d think that each new mainline game has been an abomination that destroyed the soul of the series.

And yeah that shit has been going on for a long time. I remember around the FF 7 launch, some vocal members of the fandom saying stuff like “I want to play a game, not watch a damn movie”, “remember when it used to be Final FANTASY?” etc

Agreed, I recall a lot of that during the PS1 era.

It tells me that what some fanboys ask of is so fanfiction, that it can never be obtained.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Square Soft In The 90's | The Golden Era Of RPGs | 41min

To me, Squaresoft's games from the 90s (that run starting from FF6 to FF10, alongside Chrono Trigger/Cross), are my favorite entries in the genre. Probably 50% of that goodwill comes from Nobuo Uematsu's amazing soundtracks.
Mitsuda is no slouch either, but he doesn't have the lengthy resume that Uematsu has.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'd be genuinely shocked if even one of those games was actually something special

Bad art direction and shitty combat is what they seem to be all about gosh
what was even the last Square game where I enjoyed the gameplay....
The 3rd Birthday on the PSP?

Square needs to go back to the drawing board but unfortunately certain people keep gaming square
games off of nostalgia/brand recognition alone so they have no incentive to improve

kalecsan

Banned
I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe to OP. All the games in the list seems awful (excluding remasters because they are the same games)
The only interesting is that new srpg game.

But really? KH4? FF7R2? I mean yeah tastes are tastes but jesus christ.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
But really? KH4? FF7R2? I mean yeah tastes are tastes but jesus christ.
I find it hard to believe that you're not at least a little bit interested in those games.
And given the pedigree of the talent behind said projects, these games might just end up blowing your socks off.

Get into it

Last edited:

kalecsan

Banned
I find it hard to believe that you're not at least a little bit interested in those games.
And given the pedigree of the talent behind said projects, these games might just end up blowing your socks off.

Get into it
I played all the games that precedes these "hype" upcoming games and I don't think I felt Square Enix old soul in any of those.
To miss paraphrase Borges, they are not unskillful, ... not stupid, ... not extraordinarily boring, they are, simply, worthless

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D
More like they try and fail. I Wish final fantasy will be good and rewarding RPG because forspoken will get quickly forgotten I think based ofcourse from the trailer we got.

Bragr

Banned
sig-4634241.1150_squaresoft-prev.png

Squaresoft, a company that was loved all over the world for their amazing games that range all the way from the 80's to the early 2000's. They were an immense powerhouse of gaming development and they made hit after hit after hit. If they were a boxer, they would be KO'ing their opponents left and right. Sadly, for the past 15 years, the current incarnation, Square Enix, just doesn't have the prowess that they once did. Sure, they have done re-releases of some of their all time Squaresoft classics, but that only shows how much better they were.

B-BUT! Just look at some of their upcoming releases for the next five years and you'll see that we are on the verge of a new Golden Era for Square Enix:

-Final Fantasy XVI
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2
-Dragon Quest III HD
-Final Fantasy VII - Ever Crisis
-Triangle Strategy
-New Star Ocean : Divine Force
-Chrono Cross Remaster
(rumored)
-Final Fantasy Tactics Remastered (rumored)
-Tactics Ogre Remaster (rumored)
-Dragon Quest XII
-Dragon Quest X Offline/Online
-Kingdom Hearts 4
-Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier
-Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters
-Final Fantasy IX Remake (rumored)

So, what does gaf think? Will the upcoming five years be pure bliss for jrpg fans?
Half of these are remakes, the rest are gonna be very safe. I don't see it.

Top Bottom