• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WD: Legion hits lowest sale price and offers free weekend (Xbox/PlayStation)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.vg247.com/2021/03/23/watch-dogs-legion-free-to-play-weekend/

Watch Dogs: Legion will be available to play for free from March 25-29 on Xbox and PlayStation systems, the Epic Games Store, and through the Ubisoft store.
Every character in near-future London will be available to recruit and play as during the Free Trial Weekend in both single-player and online modes.

You will also be able to explore half of the eight boroughs including the City of London and Islington & Hackney. Additionally, you will be able to discover the game’s storyline up to the Skye Larsen mission.

All game progression will carry over to the full game upon purchase.

To tempt you into a purchase, there will be discounts on both the game and the season pass across selected platforms:

• Xbox: From March 12 – April 15 – 50% off of the Standard and Ultimate editions.
  • PlayStation: From March 24-31 – 50% off of the Standard and Ultimate editions and 25% off of the season pass
  • Ubisoft Store on Windows PC: From March 18 to April 9 – 50% off of the Standard, Gold & Ultimate editions, and 25% off of the season pass
  • Epic Games Store on Windows PC: March 25 – April 8 – 50% off of the Standard, Gold & Ultimate editions, and 25% off of the season pass
  • Stadia: From March 25-29, 50% off of the Standard, Gold & Ultimate editions and 25% off of the season pass

Trying to draw people back just as they release the online mode I think.

DonJorginho

Banned
Quite a poor discount, I paid £36.99 for this in a recent PS Sale and it's okay but it got boring fast, I will have to try the online mode though as that should be a good time.

Dr.Morris79

Like a dick I bought the full whack edition with the season pass and all that blurb

Where is the expansions? Couldnt give a shit about online.

Rikkori

It cost me about $7 to play it which is about what I'd consider paying for the experience. Quite enjoyed it on a first playthrough but after that I couldn't get back into it at all & started disliking it. If it hadn't released in a games-drought period I'd probably have not liked it at all.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's that bad?

It really is not a good game.

It's soulless, shallow, extremely repetitive and therefor boring. After about two hours of playtime you've seen literally everything the game has to offer.

Because you can recruit anyone and play anyone, there's no unlock tree or something to work towards like in the previous games - you just have to deal with whatever weapons and abilities the person you just recruited has. There is some flexibility but it's extremely limited. The burrough "liberation" missions feel like an afterthought to add padding to an extremely barebones game. These "sidemissions" [using the term loosely here] are so poorly done that it honestly feels like they were added five days before the game went live. Most of them can be finished in < 5 minutes.

Also doesn't help that the game has some crazy OP skills and characters that basically break the game. There are huge flying drones you can jump on and control, making sneaking or infiltrating moot because 9 out of 10 times you can just fly in from above, jump to the location you need to be and presto - another mission done.

The AI companion is extremely annoying and cracking bad jokes all the time, and the rest of the cast talks and behaves like someone who's never been to England thinks people in London probably talk. A lot of extremely stereotypical slang, cursing.. It just sucks.

Visually some moments are nice [nighttime neon, raytraced and all that] but overall it's London - a grey/brown boring blob of a city. It's not fun to drive around in. Which is problematic because the game goes out of its way to make you go all across the map for every mission, once again to add artificial playtime.

Haven't played since about a week after launch, but the game was quite the technical mess as well. It even had a save bug on Xbox that wouldn't save progress, rendering it literally impossible to play the game because no matter what you did, you had to start over every time. It took many, many weeks for Ubi to fix this.

I really loved the first two Watchdogs but honestly wouldn't recommend Legion to anyone, let alone for this "discount".

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Will sell like gangbusters on XBox.
Has that certain familiar quality feel on it...
Ub708Iv.png
Sweet spot.

Genti23

Banned
I have stopped playing the new ubisoft games anyway the games devour too much time and the content is also not great

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Got it free with my RTX card. Played it several hours and really got bored with it. It also had weird stuttering glitches with the Xbox controller but worked fine with a generic PS4 controller.

I may return to it if I can finish it quickly, but probably not. I did like that I could play as an unattractive woman in her 50s and punch people.

Topher

Gold Member
It really is not a good game.

It's soulless, shallow, extremely repetitive and therefor boring. After about two hours of playtime you've seen literally everything the game has to offer.

Because you can recruit anyone and play anyone, there's no unlock tree or something to work towards like in the previous games - you just have to deal with whatever weapons and abilities the person you just recruited has. There is some flexibility but it's extremely limited. The burrough "liberation" missions feel like an afterthought to add padding to an extremely barebones game. These "sidemissions" [using the term loosely here] are so poorly done that it honestly feels like they were added five days before the game went live. Most of them can be finished in < 5 minutes.

Also doesn't help that the game has some crazy OP skills and characters that basically break the game. There are huge flying drones you can jump on and control, making sneaking or infiltrating moot because 9 out of 10 times you can just fly in from above, jump to the location you need to be and presto - another mission done.

The AI companion is extremely annoying and cracking bad jokes all the time, and the rest of the cast talks and behaves like someone who's never been to England thinks people in London probably talk. A lot of extremely stereotypical slang, cursing.. It just sucks.

Visually some moments are nice [nighttime neon, raytraced and all that] but overall it's London - a grey/brown boring blob of a city. It's not fun to drive around in. Which is problematic because the game goes out of its way to make you go all across the map for every mission, once again to add artificial playtime.

Haven't played since about a week after launch, but the game was quite the technical mess as well. It even had a save bug on Xbox that wouldn't save progress, rendering it literally impossible to play the game because no matter what you did, you had to start over every time. It took many, many weeks for Ubi to fix this.

I really loved the first two Watchdogs but honestly wouldn't recommend Legion to anyone, let alone for this "discount".

I really enjoyed the first two games. This game is shit. For all the reasons you stated. I realized a few hours into the game that I was just using the cargo drone to fly all over London bypassing much of the "game" entirely.

But the lack of a real protagonist and a real story tells me Ubisoft development strategy was twofold: quick and cheap.

It's like they hired this guy to make the game:
lazy someone GIF

Stuart360

I remember playing the first game at launch and thinking 'yeah its ok, but a bit of an letdown'. I never thought 7 years later, and 3 games later, that the orig game would be the best one, and i would be craving for fucking Aiden lol.
Just play the first game if you havent already. Its dirt cheap usually and IMO is the best. The 2nd game is playable, but you have to put up with awful edgelord characters that you just want to get away as far from as possible.

Legions is alright if you just want to dick around in a pretty good looking London, the actual campaign sucks though.

Last edited:

Ywap

I don´t know the shape of the game after many patches but when i tried it on PC using uplay+ it was a stuttering mess. For those of you who have played it recently, have the stuttering been reduced?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think that 2nd one is really good game, first one is ok. Legion on the other hand is not.

Inuteu

The game is ok. The city is nice, some cool features

but the puppy loving pacifist crap pisses me off

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm English and I cringed while playing it.
The language is over the top
And the game is woke as fuck, some of the people in the game seem clueless that they are actually terrorists and pieces of shit, it's like an antifa simulator
WD is a better game and needs a Remaster

Skifi28

Even for free, I might not bother wasting the bandwidth. It just seems like a game conceived in a boardroom by people that don't play games. More so than usual.

Fbh

No thx.

I'll check it out in 2-3 years when they give it out for free for tuning into one of their streams....like Watchdogs 2 (which, according to many people, is still the best entry in the franchise)

Shmunter

Is this pos ever going to get a 60 mode? Everyone’s scrambling to frame double this and frame patch that and this latest iteration with next gen code is a 30fps jitter feast. Jesus wept.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Is this pos ever going to get a 60 mode? Everyone’s scrambling to frame double this and frame patch that and this latest iteration with next gen code is a 30fps jitter feast. Jesus wept.

Based on the visuals no chance. Everything looked fuzzy when I was playing through the PS5 version. The edges of the car were really noticeable when driving. If that's only what they can push out at 30, unless they make some pretty drastic sacrifices 60 is a long way off. Like two gens.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The story is so preposterous that it affects the gameplay. It will be the last Ubi game I buy for more than $20.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm English and I cringed while playing it.
The language is over the top
And the game is woke as fuck, some of the people in the game seem clueless that they are actually terrorists and pieces of shit, it's like an antifa simulator
WD is a better game and needs a Remaster
Oi ya cheeky cunt, you with Dedsec? Right on bruv, time to shoot some random people in the head because they work for the government! 'ello guv'na!

Yeah it's bad.

Shmunter

Based on the visuals no chance. Everything looked fuzzy when I was playing through the PS5 version. The edges of the car were really noticeable when driving. If that's only what they can push out at 30, unless they make some pretty drastic sacrifices 60 is a long way off. Like two gens.
It runs 30 on pro and one x, so doubling that gfx setup should be doable. Drop the RT for a start.

Skifi28

Ray tracing in an open world game is pretty expensive. There should really be a 60 fps mode with RT off.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Feel bad that I pre-ordered this - was sucked in by needing something to run on my shiny new console.

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit - until I got the bug that wiped out 20+ hours of my save file and I haven't been back since. The open world aspects are pretty cool to fuck around in, but the story is a bit of a slog and the thought of doing again so soon... no thanks. I might pick it up and finish it again in a few years, dunno...

cormack12

Gold Member
Feel bad that I pre-ordered this - was sucked in by needing something to run on my shiny new console.

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit - until I got the bug that wiped out 20+ hours of my save file and I haven't been back since. The open world aspects are pretty cool to fuck around in, but the story is a bit of a slog and the thought of doing again so soon... no thanks. I might pick it up and finish it again in a few years, dunno...

Hahaha, same :( I almost completed it. Liberated the last district, saved and shut down. Next morning - that save file is corrupt dawg. Logged with Ubi, a little apology but start again.

Manage game -> Uninstall.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Heard legion was a decent - ok game so this result is not good for ubisoft

Offering discount price so soon is not a good sign

Last edited:
Top Bottom