• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wccftech - 505 Games, Activision, Nintendo 2019’s Best Publishers Says Metacritic, Sony Not in Top 20

CyberPanda

Banned
Metacritic has gone over their 2019 data and published their list of best-reviewed publishers of 2019. This isn’t a simple case of just looking at each publisher’s average Metacritic score – there’s a whole new methodology this year, with Metacritic assigning each publisher a score based on the following criteria.

• Average Metascore for all games released in 2019 for 150 possible points (awarded at 1.5 x the average Metascore)
  • Percentage of scored products with good reviews (Metascore of at least 75) for 100 possible points (ex: 80 percent good = 80 points)
  • Percentage of scored products with bad reviews (49 or lower; in this case, a lower % is better) for 100 possible points (ex: 20 percent bad = 80 points)
  • Number of "great" titles (Metascore of 90 or higher, min. 7 reviews) awarded as 5 bonus points for each distinct title with a 90+ score
So, by that criteria the top publisher of 2019 was…drumroll…505 Games! After trundling along as a run-of-the-mill mid-size publisher for years, 505 had a banner 2019, putting out games such as Control, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and Indivisible. Meanwhile, the top 5 were rounded out by Activision Blizzard, Nintendo, Paradox Interactive, and 2018’s chart-topper, Capcom. As for publishers that underperformed, Take-Two was #12, EA #13, Ubisoft #14, Sony #22, and Bethesda is all the way down at #30.

Tony Hawk Series’ 2020 Return Seemingly Leaks, Backing Up Earlier Rumors

You can check out the full top 40 publishers of 2019 below (the numbers are each publisher’s Metacritic average and overall point score):

1. 505 Games - 80 (306.7)
  2. Activision Blizzard - 79.9 (301.4)
  3. Nintendo - 80 (299.2)
  4. Paradox Interactive - 77.8 (296.8)
  5. Capcom - 79.1 (291.1)
  6. Annapurna Interactive - 80.5 (290.7)
  7. Xbox Game Studios - 76.4 (289.6)
  8. Humble Bundle - 76.2 (289.2)
  9. Square Enix - 76.1 (285)
  10. Devolver Digital - 76 (283)
  11. Focus Home Interactive - 74.7 (273.6)
  12. Take-Two Interactive - 74.9 (273.4)
  13. Electronic Arts - 75.2 (270.9)
  14. Ubisoft - 73.3 (265.9)
  15. Team17 - 74.7 (265.1)
  16. Spike Chunsoft - 75.3 (262.9)
  17. Koei Tecmo Games - 74.7 (262.1)
  18. Sega - 73.4 (253)
  19. Bandai Namco Games - 71.4 (246.5)
  20. Konami - 69.9 (244.8)
  21. Idea Factory - 68.7 (240.6)
  22. Sony - 71.5 (240.5)
  23. PQube - 68.2 (237.6)
  24. XSeed/Marvelous - 69.4 (234.9)
  25. TinyBuild - 67.8 (230.3)
  26. Iceberg Interactive - 70 (229.9)
  27. Koch Media - 69.9 (229.9)
  28. Digerati Distribution - 69.3 (229)
  29. THQ Nordic - 66.3 (225.4)
  30. Bethesda Softworks - 69.1 (225.1)
  31. NIS America - 69 (222.2)
  32. Daedalic Entertainment - 66.7 (222)
  33. QubicGames - 65.5 (218.2)
  34. Curve Digital - 66.2 (215.1)
  35. Plug In Digital - 66.1 (209.1)
  36. Ratalaika Games - 62.9 (203.5)
  37. Bigben Interactive - 64.7 (201.5)
  38. 1C Company - 62.1 (193.2)
  39. Headup Games - 61.3 (192)
  40. Merge Games - 61.8 (188)
What do you think? Any surprises on that list? I’ll admit, I didn’t expect to see Sony so far down the list, but they released a lot of low-profile PSVR stuff that dragged them down, and Days Gone didn’t help either. On the other hand, I’m glad to see 505 Games topping the list, as they really seem to be building themselves into a serious competitor.

Fun Fanboy

Banned
Xbox Game Studios number 7.

Seven.

SEVEN!

EnviousCaringFruitfly-small.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Too lazy to check what 505 makes, but pretty sure they still stick to publishing/distributing second tier budget games.

Good job 505 to get an avg score of 80.

Out of all the big name publishers, Bethesda was the worst. lol

Last edited:
Real concern, this and the abandoning of the hundreds of events they had planned this year. Exclusives going to pc so people can justbuse their beastly pc's they had already for microsoft games. I can see them going the way of Sega at this stage.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Too lazy to check what 505 makes, but pretty sure they still stick to publishing/distributing second tier budget games.

Good job 505 to get an avg score of 80.

Out of all the big name publishers, Bethesda was the worst. lol
It's in the thumbnail, it's no surprise that whoever publish Control, is on the top of the food chain.
If you have another opinion, you are wrong

MDSLKTR

Days Gone underrated.
It was the chink in the Sony's 1st party armor for me. DS was... I don't even know, but it shouldn't have been treated like a cosmic event. Medievil and concrete genie.. Well I think even Sony will forget to put them on ps+.

Kagey K

Banned
How many games did Sony publish vs the rest. People forget that Sony publishes many smaller titles like Concrete Genie etc.....

We can do this again next year, when Lou 2, Dreams, Tsushima etc will be counted....
They probably will. Seems like it’s an annual thing. 🤷‍♂️

nikolino840

How many games did Sony publish vs the rest. People forget that Sony publishes many smaller titles like Concrete Genie etc.....

We can do this again next year, when Lou 2, Dreams, Tsushima etc will be counted....
Well .. Xbox has no games so publish even less 🤷🏻‍♂️

thelastword

Banned
You know what would be great, it would be to list the games that was counted for each publisher and see the tier, genre and Metacritic score next to it.... That would give better perspective. For example, I could publish a few indie games that scored well and end up on top, but how many even know or played these games....

Control was nothing close to a great selling or popular game and that was AAA, farless for smaller games which many people don't know about...

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You know what would be great, it would be to list the games that was counted for each publisher and see the tier, genre and Metacritic score next to it.... That would give better perspective. For example, I could publish a few indie games that scored well and end up on top, but how many even know or played these games....

Control was nothing close to a great selling or popular game and that was AAA, farless for smaller games which many people don't know about...

Well maybe you should get together with them, talk it over and they'll change it for you.

Great Hair

Banned
  1. 505 Games - 80 (306.7)
  2. Activision Blizzard - 79.9 (301.4)
  3. Nintendo - 80 (299.2)
  4. Paradox Interactive - 77.8 (296.8)
  5. Capcom - 79.1 (291.1)
  6. Annapurna Interactive - 80.5 (290.7)
  7. Xbox Game Studios - 76.4 (289.6)
Games published by XGS 2019
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection Metacritic Score 85
  • Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Metacritic Score 84
  • Crackdown 3 Metacritic Score 60
  • Forza Street (formerly titled Miami Street made by EA 2018), some reviews :
  • No steering 1/5
    This isnt even a real game, all you do is click the gas. that IT. Its basically a small program to show you what races look like. This game is just horrible. brings forza a bad name.
    3/5 restaurants near me
  • REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE 1/5
    Playing from a pc....i wish i hadn't downloaded this its a mobile game made for mobile not for pc
    Most are from users "unknown", score ranges from 1 to 5 ... giving it a 3/5 even though the consensuses = no steering, bad upgrade, shitty pc port, full of microtransactions, gives forza a bad rep, etc.
  • Gears 5 Metacritic Score 84
  • Gears POP! Metacritic Score 65
Only counting 5 out of 6 (excl. Miami .. Forza Street)
75.6/378 and not 76.4/289.6
Counting all 6 incl. Forza Street (3/5 = 60%, probably even lower based on yt reviewers)
73/438

If we ignore both mobile games we get 313 points and not 289.6? With an even higher avg. of 78.25. Im not going to bother with the other publishers.

#BANwccftech

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
well days gone was review bombed by assholes like the gamespot reviewer who wondered why there were no black zombies, and other critics who blasted the game for a white male protagonist riding bikes all day. no one went in to that game with good intentions.

death stranding was also made to seem like this bizarre game everyone would hate. and yet it turned to be a very popular game and ended up at the top of the goty rankings.

DS is an easy 90 and DG is a mid 80s game. sony didnt have its best year but not being in the top 20 is hilarious. especially in the same year MS released crackdown 3.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
well days gone was review bombed by assholes like the gamespot reviewer who wondered why there were no black zombies, and other critics who blasted the game for a white male protagonist riding bikes all day. no one went in to that game with good intentions.

death stranding was also made to seem like this bizarre game everyone would hate. and yet it turned to be a very popular game and ended up at the top of the goty rankings.

DS is an easy 90 and DG is a mid 80s game. sony didnt have its best year but not being in the top 20 is hilarious. especially in the same year MS released crackdown 3.
Ohh poor Sony, today must be rough ride, amirite?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Imagine actually caring about critic reviews. First the xbox cheerleaders act like it didn't matter with shitty Crackdown 3 and now they act like it's a big deal. No surprise there. Doesn't change the fact that xbox is a shitty irrelevant brand that nobody gives a fuck about because a handful of mentally ill middle aged men on neogaf.

Imagine actually caring about critic reviews. First the xbox cheerleaders act like it didn't matter with shitty Crackdown 3 and now they act like it's a big deal. No surprise there. Doesn't change the fact that xbox is a shitty irrelevant brand that nobody gives a fuck about because a handful of mentally ill middle aged men on neogaf.

Stop trying to get banned my bro, I can't take this anymore
rsz_o08pp5r.png

22 - 7 equals....

15TF PS5 CONFIRMED!!!

..okay, jokes aside I thought they'd place higher. I mean this shit doesn't mean much overall but I think we can guess what'd be flying around if it were the reverse ;)

I guess for the people who care about this like a stock investment, Sony aught to do a lot better this year thanks to TLOU2 alone, and probably Ghosts too. Dreams seems to be doing well. But good on them ranking anyway and especially to XGS for doing a lot better than most probably would've thought, hopefully they do just as well this year too.

♪AD POPULUM FALLACY♪

Last edited:

kyoji

xbros have been living in the caves for this entire gen. Now they feeling themselves and its quite funny. Im just sitting back drinking tea, its the same song and dance before the start of a new gen the calm before the storm sort to speak. I wonder once sony starts to show there guns how much talking will still be done. Since some of you like stats, could someone please tell me how many consoles MS/Sony has sold? if ms had better games i think sales would reflect that more so than they have. Enjoy your metacritic morale victory, good day 😘🤣

quickwhips

Imagine coming on a game forum and not caring about games. Crackdown 3 was pretty weak though. Im in the minority that like crackdown 2 best.

Kagey K

Banned
Damn Gaf
xbros have been living in the caves for this entire gen. Now they feeling themselves and its quite funny. Im just sitting back drinking tea, its the same song and dance before the start of a new gen the calm before the storm sort to speak. I wonder once sony starts to show there guns how much talking will still be done. Since some of you like stats, could someone please tell me how many consoles MS/Sony has sold? if ms had better games i think sales would reflect that more so than they have. Enjoy your metacritic morale victory, good day 😘🤣
I can’t play console sales so they are irrelevant to me. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Sorry. I'm just saying the truth though. Also 7 games to fucking 87 lmao. No wonder why xbox has a 5 point higher score. Where's all the xbox games at?

bGfPzJy.png

T5ss97u.png
That score is only for 2019, not the entire gen and Xbox Game Studios just became a thing last year.

7 games since Sept vs 87 for the entire gen. Nice comparison.

Last edited:

kyoji

Damn Gaf

I can’t play console sales so they are irrelevant to me. 🤷‍♂️
right on and people buy consoles to play games more importantly good ones, sales obviously reflect that, if you have a nice portfolio of games ppl will buy.

Vroadstar

I feel sorry for HolyTruth, Panaphonics, Heinrich and his 6 other alt accounts is not here anymore to celebrate with his Xbox bros :messenger_loudly_crying:

Imagine if they are (is) still here, probably working overtime to post :pie_grinning_big_eyes:, but you never know, probably still got one or two alt accounts here still

brap

Banned
What is the timeframe of that Xbox list?
Exact link I used

That score is only for 2019, not the entire gen and Xbox Game Studios just became a thing last year.

7 games since Sept vs 87 for the entire gen. Nice comparison.
I compared the 2 studios linked in the op so yes my comparison is nice. How did they just become a thing last year when they released games in 2013 and 2016?

Kagey K

Banned
Exact link I used

I compared the 2 studios linked in the op so yes my comparison is nice. How did they just become a thing last year when they released games in 2013 and 2016?
It was Microsft Game Studio prior to that.

kyoji

That’s a fallacy.

did you just not quote me in saying you cant play sales? youre right you play games, so how is it a fallacy, sure there are many reasons to buy a console but the main reason is for games. Im not saying MS doesnt have any, they obviously do. What im saying is Sony has a much better portfolio in the eyes of many, And although this is subjective to ones opinion just like anything else, this is reflected by sales and this is why you consitently see MS consoles in last place behind nintendo and sony 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Stuart360

giphy.gif

Kagey K

Banned
did you just not quote me in saying you cant play sales? youre right you play games, so how is it a fallacy, sure there are many reasons to buy a console but the main reason is for games. Im not saying MS doesnt have any, they obviously do. What im saying is Sony has a much better portfolio in the eyes of many, And although this is subjective to ones opinion just like anything else, this ks reflected by sales and this is why you consitantly see MS consoles in last place behind nintendo and sony 🤷‍♂️
The main reason are one or two 3rd party games (COD, Gta, Fifa, Madden, NBA2K)and the system their friends are on.

The hardcore gamers like us nerds on here are the exception, not the rule.

At a certain point of penetration it becomes self fulfilling for the sales leader to keep on selling because there is a higher chance that’s what people’s friends own. It’s not about what console is better or which has the better exclusives at that point, it’s just about which is more popular.

That’s how it’s a fallacy.

Last edited:

kyoji

The main reason are one or two 3rd party games (COD, Gta, Fifa, Madden, NBA2K)and the system their friends are on.

The hardcore gamers like us nerds on here are the exception, not the rule.

At a certain point of penetration it becomes self fulfilling for the sales leader to keep on selling because there is a higher chance that’s what people’s friends own. It’s not about what console is better or which has the better exclusives at that point, it’s just about which is more popular.

That’s how it’s a fallacy.
Nice. 4 gens worth of popularity contest winning, I wonder how long sony will continue to fool the masses with their sorcery and tricks. Sony r doomed they lost a single meta critic year end summary. salt levels too much, cannot compute 🤯😬

Sacred

Coming from the poster child for hypocrisy that's rich.

Kagey K

Banned
Nice. 4 gens worth of popularity contest winning, I wonder how long sony will continue to fool the masses with their sorcery and tricks. Sony r doomed they lost a single meta critic year end summary. salt levels too much, cannot compute 🤯😬
I think you forgot the Wii, and I’m not salty at all. I think it’s funny. Some grumpy ppl round here today.

thelastword

Banned
You think CurryPanda will post this thread next year.? Did he post it for 2018?

Top Bottom