• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[WC] This weekend's Xbox outage put Microsoft's DRM back in the spotlight

Do you agree with Always Online DRM ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGzz

the problem coming their server or not, DRM should not be implemented for offline games, period.
Thats the point i want to make here....

For that to happen they have to make it to where you can only download a game on one console at a time or else you could sell your account to multiple people and they can just stay offline to play all the games in your library indefinitely.

TBiddy

From what I can tell, the issue seems to have mainly hit two types of people:

1. Those who have multiple consoles in their household and use the same account on them
2. Those who share games with a friend using the home console work around in order to play games for free

As for no. 1, that's definitely a problem that Microsoft should fix somehow. Maybe allow users to add consoles as "household consoles" and forcing them to signin using the same IP address (sorta like Spotify does it) the first time.

As for no. 2... well. You're violating the ToS. Stop whining that it doesn't work for a short while.

Three

1. Those who have multiple consoles in their household and use the same account on them
2. Those who share games with a friend using the home console work around in order to play games for free

As for no. 1, that's definitely a problem that Microsoft should fix somehow. Maybe allow users to add consoles as "household consoles" and forcing them to signin using the same IP address (sorta like Spotify does it) the first time.

As for no. 2... well. You're violating the ToS. Stop whining that it doesn't work for a short while.
Please stop with this blame shifting. I've seen a lot of xbox fans trying to blame those affected.
Those who bought games could not play on their single primary console because authentication was down and they couldn't launch their games. The other issue is that once authentication fails due to server issues your old games wouldn't work either even if you go offline because it would wait for that to pass again and not care.

As for your IP idea. The home console idea is fine. I don't blame them for using it because VPNs exist so you can't really rely on an IP to say the consoles are in the same house.

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
My console is set to home console i should be able to play gamepass games offline for a month but in
reality when i close my internet connection i cannot play the some gamepass games especially the
first party stuff, This is unacceptable

Saber

Gold Member
DRM is one of most stupid and cancerous things, regardless of the console.

But its weird that when the other thread about this was made, people make it look like its not a big deal saying "just put on home console"(even though people put this and still couldn't acess their games) or spamming "fake concern".

TBiddy

Please stop with this blame shifting. I've seen a lot of xbox fans trying to blame those affected.
Those who bought games could not play on their single primary console because authentication was down and they couldn't launch their games. The other issue is that once authentication fails due to server issues your old games wouldn't work either even if you go offline because it would wait for that to pass again and not care.

As for your IP idea. The home console idea is fine. I don't blame them for using it because VPNs exist so you can't really rely on an IP to say the consoles are in the same house.

If you're sharing games with a friend in order to avoid paying for them, you're not entitled to whine about the games not working.

You're misunderstanding, by the way, about the home setup. It's only during the first setup, that the consoles will need to share the same IP (or location, or whatever). Will it stop all the ToS-violating game-sharing? Probably not. But it would certainly hinder a lot of it, and it would allow the consoles in your house to keep working in circumstances such as these.

Last edited:

Three

If you're sharing games with a friend in order to avoid paying for them, you're not entitled to whine about the games not working.

You're misunderstanding, by the way, about the home setup. It's only during the first setup, that the consoles will need to share the same IP (or location, or whatever). Will it stop all the ToS-violating game-sharing? Probably not. But it would certainly hinder a lot of it, and it would allow the consoles in your house to keep working in circumstances such as these.
But that's not the only people having an issue clearly. You're blame shifting. People who bought games and use a single console were affected because authentication was failing and then setting it as offline later would not help once it had already failed.

My point about the IP thing is that MS have a good system with the current home console thing. That's not the issue. Having multiple/infinite home consoles based on IP would actually proliferate game sharing because VPNs exist. Doing it your way means 1 account could share with multiple/infinite consoles which aren't in the same house. The PS3 had a better system where you could register 6 consoles and play offline but they got rid of that because of game sharing too. Now both xbox and PS have a 1 home console policy.

What MS need to fix are the stupid checks on booting up a purchased game even when on disc and the other thing that needs patching is if connection fails don't mark games as unlicensed requiring a connection. If they fix that things would be better.

Last edited:

TBiddy

But that's not the only people having an issue clearly. You're blame shifting. People who bought games and use a single console were affected because authentication was failing and then setting it as offline later would not help once it had already failed.

I'm not blame shifting. Read my posts again. Here, I'll quote it for you: "From what I can tell, the issue seems to have mainly hit two types of people:". I'm not even mentioning the people you're ranting about.

Having multiple/infinite home consoles based on IP would actually proliferate game sharing because VPNs exist. Doing it your way means 1 account could share with multiple/infinite consoles which aren't in the same house.

Again, you're not reading what I'm writing. Is it deliberate on your part? I'm literally writing that it won't put an end to those who really want to violate the ToS, but it will rather easily help those with multiple consoles at home who were affected by this issue.

The point is. I buy a disc, can I play the game on the disc? The answer in most case is “it depends on the online DRM service”.

And that is a problem. Physical games should be playable out of the box.

Last edited:

Three

Again, you're not reading what I'm writing. Is it deliberate on your part? I'm literally writing that it won't put an end to those who really want to violate the ToS, but it will rather easily help those with multiple consoles at home who were affected by this issue.
Not sure why you're insisting I'm not reading what you're saying. You say it mainly affects them. Then we have this
Quote from your post:

Will it stop all the ToS-violating game-sharing? Probably not. But it would certainly hinder a lot of it,

I'm saying not only would it not hinder it but it would help it. All they would need is a VPN capable router.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They updated the story today:

Update May 11, 2022: I have received some clarification that some games receive the license at the point of installation, while other games, owing to backward compatibility and other developmental nuances, may need at least one launch to initialize the license provision.

TBiddy

Not sure why you're insisting I'm not reading what you're saying. You say it mainly affects them.
Because you're keep claiming that I'm "blame shifting" for some reason. It's quite annoying to be honest. If you want to fight a war for some reason, go find someone who wants to do that.

Let me spell it out for you, one more time;

I'm talking about those with multiple consoles at home and those who share games with their friends. It's literally in the first post I wrote, which you responded to.
You're then accusing me of "blame shifting", because people with a single console at home had issues as well. I haven't mentioned them at any point, so why do you keep circling back to them? Are you deliberately moving the focus to somewhere else?

I'm saying not only would it not hinder it but it would help it. All they would need is a VPN capable router.

And a willingness to violate the ToS. And knowledge of someone who would allow them to connect to their network to set it up. And knowledge of how to connect their Xbox to said VPN. Plus, Microsoft could just implement a maximum of 5 units or whatever.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Kids play video games way too much in general. MS is just trying to help set priorities for children while it turns to spring. It’s heroic of them really.
britney spears whatever GIF by X Factor Global

The point is. I buy a disc, can I play the game on the disc? The answer in most case is “it depends on the online DRM service”.
How does this work with Smart Delivery where the updated game needs to be downloaded? Are most disc games on Xbox nonfunctional unless you have internet? Is that due entirely to DRM? Is there an expectation that if I attempt to run an original Xbox disc game on an XSX that that would install and run offline?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I cannot relate as I was able to game and download all weekend, but I understand the system is flawed.

Hopefully this outage and backlash is a wake up call for MS to improve it, especially if they're planning to introduce a streaming puck into the equation soon.

Same for me and I think one of the games I was playing was like GT7 where it required online even on single player, but it still worked for me so I think the outage may have been localized or I was just extremely lucky.

That said, Xbox really needs to work on this situation. Other than multiplayer games, people need to be able to play the games they own offline, especially when XBLG has an outage.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

I fall under number one and had no issues, so I don't think it's actual DRM, but some glitch in the system.
Same for me and I think one of the games I was playing was like GT7 where it required online even on single player, but it still worked for me so I think the outage may have been localized or I was just extremely lucky.

That said, Xbox really needs to work on this situation. Other than multiplayer games, people need to be able to play the games they own offline, especially when XBLG has an outage.
I had no issues. This was probably a small subset of actual users affected and does not reflect any change to the DRM policy. It was an issue that did affect some people obviously so it should be looked at, but claiming there is always online DRM is flat out false.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I fall under number one and had no issues, so I don't think it's actual DRM, but some glitch in the system.

Could be. I'm not aware if Microsoft released any statement on this.

Also, I'm disappointed that Three vanished from the thread after his ridiculous claims. Is that normal from him? I thought he was actually here to discuss. Turns out he was just here to pick a fight, I suppose.

Knightime_X

Depends on the game.
Most games with MP NEED DRM not for the sake of DRM but what comes with DRM and that's anti cheats.
It prevents save editing etc.

But for offline games its super dumb and not needed at all.

There's really no reason for anybody to defend this, like it's not a big deal in the slightest but it's still handled very poorly and should be fixed by Xbox. I understand if you don't want people abusing offline mode for the game sharing method and other ways to take advantage of a 100% DRM free digital game, but there needs to, at the very least, be some sort of countermeasure which recognizes when server issues are occurring to be able to temporarily bypass that check until servers are reachable again. Obviously 0 DRM is preferable but I understand the concern of them not wanting people to steal games by playing just in offline mode. One of the things that Xbox is 100% in the wrong on, and hopefully there's enough outrage over this that they fix it to at least be fully functional during server issues and in offline mode with any owned games. Just because it's not a big deal doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed, like the Playstation CMOS battery issue that Sony fixed

Connxtion

I'm saying "spend your money how you please."

You said he didn't address "Home console" which tells me you probably didn't watch the video because he did address it. I timestamped it for you.

Think the mean, for games to work offline they need to be downloaded on a home console (set to home first) prior to being offline.

I think he did address it afterwards when he found out titles he had downloaded but not run did not have there license file downloaded. (All games need to be run once to get the license file or when on the console, online and downloaded they get the license automatically)

Enjoy not owning your games.
In an age of digital games who is doing game preservation better? Internet is required for the download and physical media is already gone on PC and will be on consoles most likely by next generation. At least on Xbox I have several original Xbox and 360 titles I can still play with no additional fees. It certainly feels like ownership to me.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

I've got three consoles over two households. It's a pain in the arse.

I know why they do it, but it's still utter shite when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom