• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Montreal are working on Superman game

cormack12

Gold Member
Third time the charm hey?

Source: https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/06/21/wb-games-montreal-superman-rumor/

WB Games Montréal’s Creative Director has also been dropping a few subtle references to the superhero.

The team’s AAA new IP has been known about for quite a while thanks to a job listing that appeared a couple of months after the announcement of Gotham Knights. The new job listing is for a 3C Game Designer who will design playable characters for a third-person open world action game. While this could fit the premise of Gotham Knights, many feel it more likely to be the new AAA title. Sigfield has previously leaked the premise of Gotham Knights before the game was announced, as well as Rocksteady’s focus on Suicide Squad. This lends more weight to his hints that the new game will be a Superman title.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjvchamary%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F03%2Fman_of_steel-1200x800.jpg

jigglet

Banned
Thank god it’s not rocksteady being rumored. I think I’m exhausted from that one. Maybe it could be a Superman x Bloodborne collaboration?

jigglet

Banned
Who asked for this?

The chance for Superman to become a huge video game property was before the Marvel universe really kicked into gear 10 years ago. Even the movies don't have the same cultural relevance anymore, much less Superman The Movie: The Game (Based on The Movie)

That's such a clunky title, I can't believe that's what they might go with.

Robins

I think this is one of the more difficult characters to turn into a video game. How do you make it challenging when he is meant to be invincible (to a point).

Lots of possibilities though. High levels of destruction being able to fly through buildings etc would be fun.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think this is one of the more difficult characters to turn into a video game. How do you make it challenging when he is meant to be invincible (to a point).

Lots of possibilities though. High levels of destruction being able to fly through buildings etc would be fun.
It's pretty simple really. You just need otherworldly threats. Superman is invincible on Earth, but has many enemies that can challenge him in the universe.

Nico_D

Probably the usual gameplay trope: limit his powers. Kryptonite infested world etc.

cormack12

Gold Member

It will be like Persona but with Clark as a High School student. He can stop people being bullied, or become a bully. He needs to forge social links to play college football and advance to star running back or point guard in basketball. His powers will still be emerging so he will still be vulnerable to being overwhelmed and his adversary will be a villain coming to smallville to look for the remnants of the meteorite which they hope is carrying kryptonite - that can be used to provide fusion energy for the world. It would sell thousands.

Duchess

How do you make it challenging when he is meant to be invincible (to a point).
Simple - Superman has lost his powers, and much of the point of the game is to do various things where he has to get them back.

I believe that in the Superman canon, he gets he strength from the sun..? So, the bad guy has somehow blotted that out, to also weaken him?

Maybe? I think having a game where you need to earn your powers back would be pretty cool. Add Batman into the mix to help you out at key points, and ... boom?

Kuranghi

Simple - Superman has lost his powers, and much of the point of the game is to do various things where he has to get them back.

I believe that in the Superman canon, he gets he strength from the sun..? So, the bad guy has somehow blotted that out, to also weaken him?

Maybe? I think having a game where you need to earn your powers back would be pretty cool. Add Batman into the mix to help you out at key points, and ... boom?

I like the idea of the power journey being him slowly dismantling a giant sun blotting-out machine. Different gameplay at the end of each section/act where its more cinematic and you are flying through space blowing the shit out of something to reveal more of the sun and get those sweet sweet raybeams.

jaysius

Banned
Ehh.... Let's wait and see how Gotham Knights turns out, shall we?
Outriders without guns.
Despite whatever lies they’ve said about what the game isn’t, if you have a set of eyes you see that the game is exactly whatever devs have decided the “acceptable“ new GaaS or GaaS lite term is today.

Last edited:

Cravis

WB Montreal you say? The studio that last released a game completely developed by them in 2013? Yeah I won’t believe they’re working on anything till I’m booting it up.

Plus isn’t AT&T still planning to sell WB Games off in pieces?

Superman game by WB Montreal

Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons

SJRB

Gold Member
Outriders without guns.
Despite whatever lies they’ve said about what the game isn’t, if you have a set of eyes you see that the game is exactly whatever devs have decided the “acceptable“ new GaaS or GaaS lite term is today.

I agree there's plenty reason for concern and little reason for optimism.

Their gameplay demo was shockingly poor and cynical and a [huge] step back from the Arkham games in every regard I can think of.

I don't see a Superman game as being enjoyable because he is a perfect superhero. He has minimal weaknesses and is insanely overpowered.

The game needs to be Superman after his death. Imagine a tutorial level where you're just stomping the gameworld and then the devs drop Doomsday on you and end the tutorial and you wake up and have none of those power and none of that feeling. The entire game is a cinematic push to return to those moments of glory from the tutorial.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

That is why the character has also failed in the movies. The only good one was 2 and that was interesting because he gave up his powers and got his ass kicked.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Probably the usual gameplay trope: limit his powers. Kryptonite infested world etc.
I imagine like, the city has pieces of kryptonite everywhere, like 5G antennae, you clear them one at a time and get progressively stronger within zones of the map

Top Bottom