• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/DC should be copying Disney, not Marvel

RCU005

WB has made many mistakes when it comes to the DCEU. I think they wanted to start their own thing at the beginning when they announced Man of Steel, but after seeing the success that was Avengers in 2012, I think they wanted to get there as soon as possible, and everything started to collapse.

IMO, Zack Snyder vision was great for the characters and the cinematography, but not the stories. We got and incredible cast in every member of the Justice League and the special effects to portrait characters' powers is amazing. We also got amazing fighting choreography and camera angles and direction that made the DCEU something special.

The bad part is that WB wanted to copy Marvel. They wanted their success and they wanted yesterday. They didn't want to wait to be successful and has triggered a chain of mistakes that have been costly for them regarding money and reputation.

WB in their desperation, they just don't realize they already have a gold mine for the DCEU, and that's the DCAU. They should be doing exactly like Disney is, and starting to make live action movies from all their animated ones. There are many movies that are so great with great stories and all. Also, just like how MCU has affected in some ways the comics, they could go back and forth between animated and live-action movies regarding continuity.

I just finished watching Flashpoint, and for example, they already have all the ingredients to make a live action movie from it. They have an amazing Wonder Woman, a great Aquaman and great Flash. Batman would need to be recast anyways, as well as Cyborg. Right now, they could've been making amazing movies based on their DCAU, and I bet people would love them.

IF those movies have different continuities, they could cast different Batmans, different Supermans, etc. and keep the continuity with the same actors when it's called for depending on the stories.

TL: DR: WB should be copying Disney when it comes to making live action movies from their animated universe and they'll be incredibly successful, instead of trying to replicated 10 years of MCU success in half the time. (worst of all, it's already been 8 years since Man of Steel and they haven't really accomplished anything, whereas Marvel got to Avengers in 4 years)

Do you agree? Would you want to see live-action "remakes" from their DC Animated movies?

Last edited:
Ok... So I was a reader of comics from age 8 to 16 ish...

Marvel always imo...had the cooler characters

Spidey, x men, iron man, venom, punisher... In that order for me...

I was always a sliver surfer fanatic as well as namor the submariner .. Aqua man sucks.

With that said... The avengers or jl comics were not cool to me... They felt pushed and like a super team had to be made to make an extra buck off bs.

I still bought DC comics... But only superman and batman... Flash was eehhhh and i could care less about the rest... Justice league... Yeah right.

The bat man movies were legit .. Every one... Even the cheesy ones with Clooney. Batman can be cliché and still cool... (Adam west)

Superman is weird because they neutered him and then he came back with his powers and won the day (chris reeves) . .

Why is it that a knock off superman story like brightburn is more interesting than any of the justice league stories?

Why does WB own this entire catalog of awesome... And cant deliver?

Ben Affleck for one. Hes a good actor... But batman? I question this more than Clooney and clooney sucked compared to Keaton.

DC has absolutely shot themselves in the foot by using WB. The content is there. The director as in Snyder is awesome....

But why the mediocrity...

I say this as not being a fan of the avengers either...

I didnt even like Thor until the movies...

How is it that marvel makes you want to root for a new character and DC makes you wish it was better with a classic character...

As bad as it is to say i liked Aquaman better than than the rest of the dc universe lately... And aqua man has always been a red headed step child for me.... But they had an okay story and momoa sold the part ...

DC has managed to screw up a one car funeral..... They have made money... Yes they have been successful... But the inability to dominate isn't from the source of the comic, as much as lack of imagination, interpretation. Etc...

I say this fully acknowledging WB success... And also seeing the seething craziness of watching the big bucks slip away from a silly " team movie"

Honest question... How many collectors of comic books in the early 90s bought either justice league or avenger comics...

I could count on one hand either or...

This is my comic based opinion... I'm not much of a movie guy.

bitbydeath

They should get James Gunn to take on more franchises after Suicide Squad becomes a huge success, reboot everything else.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
They should be developing ZSJL 2 and 3

Yes please.

Let Zack finish his vision for JL.

After that, then yeah, I agree with the OPs idea. Would be great to see DC focus on making live action adaptations of their animated universe and some of their greatest comic arcs.

A live action version of Batman & Dracula: Red Rain for example would be absolutely nuts!

HoodWinked

Warner is too incompetent to pivot. One problem is because AT&T just doesn't give a fuck so WB just runs like shit then by extension DC is run even more shitty. Also Walter Hamada is the guy in charge so he'll probably want to put his horror stink on DCEU what comes out going forward.

GeorgPrime

Banned
WB has made many mistakes when it comes to the DCEU. I think they wanted to start their own thing at the beginning when they announced Man of Steel, but after seeing the success that was Avengers in 2012, I think they wanted to get there as soon as possible, and everything started to collapse.

IMO, Zack Snyder vision was great for the characters and the cinematography, but not the stories. We got and incredible cast in every member of the Justice League and the special effects to portrait characters' powers is amazing. We also got amazing fighting choreography and camera angles and direction that made the DCEU something special.

The bad part is that WB wanted to copy Marvel. They wanted their success and they wanted yesterday. They didn't want to wait to be successful and has triggered a chain of mistakes that have been costly for them regarding money and reputation.

WB in their desperation, they just don't realize they already have a gold mine for the DCEU, and that's the DCAU. They should be doing exactly like Disney is, and starting to make live action movies from all their animated ones. There are many movies that are so great with great stories and all. Also, just like how MCU has affected in some ways the comics, they could go back and forth between animated and live-action movies regarding continuity.

I just finished watching Flashpoint, and for example, they already have all the ingredients to make a live action movie from it. They have an amazing Wonder Woman, a great Aquaman and great Flash. Batman would need to be recast anyways, as well as Cyborg. Right now, they could've been making amazing movies based on their DCAU, and I bet people would love them.

IF those movies have different continuities, they could cast different Batmans, different Supermans, etc. and keep the continuity with the same actors when it's called for depending on the stories.

TL: DR: WB should be copying Disney when it comes to making live action movies from their animated universe and they'll be incredibly successful, instead of trying to replicated 10 years of MCU success in half the time. (worst of all, it's already been 8 years since Man of Steel and they haven't really accomplished anything, whereas Marvel got to Avengers in 4 years)

Do you agree? Would you want to see live-action "remakes" from their DC Animated movies?

You never just copy someone in the same space where your competition is basically way stronger than you. You have to find your own way.

NahaNago

I'm pretty sure they are doing something similar. They seem to be just picking and choosing what character or villain they are going to fight and making a movie from it. With that said I wish they had a bit more order to the releases. Like maybe going by numbered universes. Snyderverse could be like an injusticeverse can be it's own thing. Then the stand alone wonder woman and aquaman movies could be a single universe since they don't match up with Snyderverse. This also allows them to pursue doing doomsday again since I hate how they made that movie. Like seriously I want tons of heroes going againtst doomsday and getting there butts kicked until Superman just finally decides to finally give it everything he's got. They could pick a better batman than pattison, redo the justice league since cyborg being a part of it is still somewhat new, they could get a new flash since this one is problematic and he runs weird, and they can keep Superman but not make him so mopey. Is cyborg even a part of the justice league in any of the cartoons?

This multiverse allows so many variations of dc characters and you have a good excuse since they would be from a different universe so race or gender changing is completely okay. You still need a basic foundation to veer from and this allows for multiverse mega battles.

Top Bottom