• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Changes Batgirl's Gotham Knights Biography Following Criticism

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/wb-changes-batgirl-gotham-knights-backstory-criticism

WB Montreal has responded to criticism that Batgirl's official biography for Gotham Knights is a harmful trope of disabled people, and has made adjustments to her description accordingly.

During the Q&A, however, creative director Patrick Redding said that the Gotham Knights team "worked with the awesome folks at AbleGamers to learn about different types of spinal injuries and the potential for someone to regain mobility."

Additionally, he clarified that the specifics of her injury in Gotham Knights would differ from the comics, and that she had undergone multiple surgeries, physical therapy, and pain management. She also wears clothing with "back bracing integrated," and some of her rehabilitation process will be depicted in Gotham Knights itself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Arnold Schwarzenegger I Give Up GIF by Jerology

MiguelItUp

I can't imagine basic or light information about a fictional character's backstory could be considered a "harmful trope."

People need to get hobbies and put their energy towards things that are more fruitful. I don't think Batgirl's bio changing in Gotham Knights is a huge step for success.

What did it say before and what does it say now
It doesn't say verbatim, but this gives enough detail IMO...

"Barbara is shot in the spine, and many fans pointed out that overcoming a disability through sheer training and determination is an inaccurate and harmful trope throughout media."

Again, it's a game about super heroes in a fictional world...

Fucking Luke lost a hand and got it replaced with technology that functions just as good if not better than his own hand. Hell, Ash Williams got it pretty good too with all his mechanic hands that were so easily built. Is that inaccurate and harmful too?

I can't imagine basic or light information about a fictional character's backstory could be considered a "harmful trope."

People need to get hobbies and put their energy towards things that are more fruitful. I don't think Batgirl's bio changing in Gotham Knights is a huge step for success.

"Barbara is shot in the spine, and many fans pointed out that overcoming a disability through sheer training and determination is an inaccurate and harmful trope throughout media."

Fucking Luke lost a hand and got it replaced with technology that functions just as good if not better than his own hand. Hell, Ash Williams got it pretty good too with all his mechanic hands that were so easily built. Is that inaccurate and harmful too?
I gotta admit, I'm fine with the change on that. But really not that big of a deal.

Maybe the “determination” was going through multiple surgeries and rehabilitation? That does take willpower to do. It’s not easy to recover from debilitating surgeries month after month with no guarantee. It almost seems like they’re selling the personal endeavor of such a thing short.

Last edited:

wvnative

Wtf? I'm disabled and this DISGUSTS me...

Determination and hard work, while not a cure, is ABSOLUTELY an aspect of overcoming your physical limitations. Wtf?

Online activists: "Why are you complaining about diversity in [insert game in medieval Europe here]? It's a fictional game about fire breathing dragons, trolls, and people with superhuman abilities! But you'll cry about diversity??"

Also online activists: "How dare you portray this hurtful ableist narrative in your fictional game about crime-fighting superheroes with superhuman abilities!?"

While we're at it, we should go back to The Dark Knight Rises movie and change the entire second half of the movie. Because you know, the way Bruce Wayne recovers after Bane breaks his spine is... (*Checks notes*) ableist garbage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Video game makers should have more balls to create product how they intend it to be.

My company gets consumer complaints about things sometimes which I catch wind of. Sometimes it's a legitimate mess up by the consumer who didn't read the instructions using it wrong. Customer service or the marketing manager involved (if it gets escalated to him/her) will respond saying the correct guidelines of usage are on the back of the box. Pretty simple and logical response to me.

You dont change something that sells a million units for 2 people who are idiots complaining about something which isn't wrong or faulty to begin with.

Last edited:

wvnative

Even disabled people are a bunch of pussies these days, smh.
It's really sad, they waste time on crap like this, when that energy could be spent on things that actually matter. Like educating developers on important accessibility features that help us enjoy the game.

I'm disabled and these looney's DO NOT SPEAK for me.

Telling developers that determination and hard work are inaccurate to the experience of being disabled is legitimately a bit hurtful to hear from people who claim to speak on behalf of the disabled community.

I'm legitimately pissed off now knowing they pitched a fit over this.

kiphalfton

Goddamn this fucking planet, yeah this comic book superhero is offensive to you because they are doing things you can't in real life; smh.

I swear it's like people go from one thing to the next. It's extremely toxic, and if you're not careful you'll get swept away by it, if you exposed yourself to it for too long. Living in the PNW for the past 4 years, I whine and bitch about way more stuff than I used to, before moving here.

Top Bottom