• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Water-Cooled Consoles

So ask yourself why this isn't standard in all PCs. If it would be viable, profitable and preferable to the alternatives, Sony would have done it. Go figure.

Kenpachii

Water cooling is shit, its just there for looks and wasting money.

U want to dispatch heat, let coolers blow heat straight out of the case instead of superheating a completely closed of plastic box with 1 hole in it.

BreakOut

I just made a thread asking about cooling solutions. I would love to have a liquid cooled console. Not only for the cooling itself but I think that would be pretty cool. I’ve seen some of those custom case mods and my eyes are green with envy at how neat some of them really are.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
zDXFPo8.jpg
eMOPgGO.jpg

R53fhy9.jpg

See?...Ridiculous and unnecessary.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I just made a thread asking about cooling solutions. I would love to have a liquid cooled console. Not only for the cooling itself but I think that would be pretty cool. I’ve seen some of those custom case mods and my eyes are green with envy at how neat some of them really are.
You said it yourself. The custom PC case subculture (like car mods) is not for the mass market. But I bet there will be mods for consoles as well.

Shifty

Low-end hardware has made do just fine with air cooling since time immemorial. Chances are that will remain the status quo outside of people who do it for the drip - both figurative and literal.

Tommi84

Internet was bat-shit crazy that you need to use a screwdriver to replace/add ssd to PS5 and you want to add a level of maintenance ten times higher? Nah, not gonna work. Juat add vapor chamber in the heatpipes

twilo99

What's the maximum wattage consumed by the current consoles?

I've seen the PS5 hit ~209w or so and the xsx for whatever reason seems to always be lower, not to to mention the xss which seems to be double digits in some games.

There is zero reasons to water cool anything with that kind of power draw. Maybe if we get to 500-600w systems?

edit,

I just found this and yeah, all current consoles use very little power. The PS5 hit ~216w but I think that mostly due to the dev not optimizing

Last edited:
Top Bottom