• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watching Louis Rossmann's youtube channel sure is depressing

tsumake

He probably gives the most accurate “on the ground” look of what’s happening in Manhattan real estate. He’s a business owner in the city and he’s pretty open about the bureaucracy of it. He’s a legit New Yorker.

I think it’ll take at least 5-10 years for things to legitimately improve. The city is partly defined by its unique shops, restaurants and venues and a lot if not most of them got wiped out by the lockdown. And this was after surviving skyrocketing rents. Whatever will replace them will have to have deep pockets (corporate chains, banks, etc.) so it will devolve for the time being.

As for other cities, I’d defer to other users’ opinions about their hometowns.

Cattlyst

Always enjoyed his Apple repair videos of old. But yeah, his content has almost turned into citizen journalism that paints a pretty grim picture. I have much respect for the guy tbh.

NahaNago

Didn't New York go fairly hard on lock down so i could see a lot of businesses not surviving. I didn't really notice this in Nashville.

Yeah, and he also loves to cover the utterly ridiculous and incompetent bureaucracy there too. Website that don't work, people who don't know their own laws, officials never returning emails... it is just a complete mess it seems.

tsumake

I didn't realize the number was so high. So Covid, aggressive lock downs, high rent, and I'm thinking a lot of folks will continue working from home so less foot traffic around these restaurants and bars.

Well, people still go out to eat. It’s just that they’ll be eating at “new” restaurants😐

It’s a damn precise picture of the city these days, shops closed left and right with “Available for lease” plastered over the whole city. Basically only the big boys kept their shops open, at least tourism is slowly returning.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is this just a New York thing or are all US cities like that?

Not on a comparable scale, and in targeted ways.

In my area malls are dying. We once had one or two large, thriving malls in each of the adjoining / nearby five cities. As consumer trends changed, wealth within areas shifted to different populations, and commercial real estate prices climbed, two (EDIT: now that I think about it, actually three with a fourth on the way out) of the malls died - including the largest, newest, most metropolitan one. The others shrank. And along with them all of the surrounding businesses that relied upon the ingress and egress traffic to peel off customers.

A pleasant side effect was that many of the businesses that were once housed across all of the now dead malls came together (along with more companies) to form a large and thriving "Outlet" - complete with a theater and many restaurants. All outdoors, all very nice. So that one large outlet center essentially replaced three different malls in three different cities.

One of the old malls is now filled with offices and other non-retail businesses, so at least the real estate didn't go to waste.

Last edited:

jonnyp

Wasn't he planning on doing that after the BS fine he received?

I think he is trying to get his business license renewed in NYC but he is having troubles with that. Think he said he will be forced to close up shop and probably move if the license is not renewed.

tsumake

I think he is trying to get his business license renewed in NYC but he is having troubles with that. Think he said he will be forced to close up shop and probably move if the license is not renewed.

He did renew his license, but they don’t have it in the system. He can’t re-renew his license because he all ready used his assigned pin number. Since the lockdown, all govt employees are apparently working from home so it’s become even more of a mess.

It’s a situation that New Yorkers are familiar with. You assume you won’t have an easy, or logical, time working with the bureaucracy.

Top Bottom