• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Title Update 5.6 Shows PS5 Compression in Action

What’s the game size after the patch on all systems?
I really don't know. I'm assuming, like you, that those file sizes above are the patch sizes, right? An over 20gb update! That's large, but I guess not that uncommon? Only being 2gb on PS5 is a big difference. But, what if the PS5 version didn't have as much dug or needed that much in the update? That could have made a difference.

It can't be compression. If that was the case just about everything on PS5 will be 10 times smaller in size.
It's must be something different.
I agree. It's most probably mainly due to different methods of updating. Kraken compresses about 10% better than Xbox Zlib. They must replace everything on Xbox while they replace only what's necessary on PS5 (because this is the standard method since PS4).

But whatever the reaons, the system is still way more efficient on PS5. Xbox is probably limited by the PC version.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yea, that seems really extreme. Are they sure it ain't 23.2 or 13.2? Which seems a little more realistic, because 3.2 is a really small file size. Did they remove all the 4k textures and RT :pie_roffles: jk
Visuals of the Watch Dog Legion PS5 version after the new update:
cute-pixel-art-dogs-set-illustration-isolated_131627-3.jpg

phil_t98

#SonyToo
To put the typo theory down I just checked in several sources that installed it.

PS5 patch is indeed 3.2GB.

The patch is online since morning btw.
Is the patch exactly the same for all consoles or is there something that needed to be fixed on the Xbox game as well?

I'd put money on compression being the least important part to get that file size difference. But help yourself to claim something with no proof and Austin evens this shit.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Near 10 to 1 compression?

Unless Ubisoft forgot to bother compressing the other version of the game Im not buying it.

Is the final file size actually at a 10 to 1 ratio or expressing the large disparity in size?

ethomaz

Banned
Is the patch exactly the same for all consoles or is there something that needed to be fixed on the Xbox game as well?
The official patch notes lists specific fix for Xbox, Xbox One... plus PC.
Not specifics for PS4 and PS5.
General I believe is to all platforms.

General:
  • Fixed an issue that caused the Spiderbot Arena minimum player requirement to be 4 players. This fix reduces the minimum player requirement to the intended 2 players.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash under certain circumstances.
  • Fixed missing visual effects on some UI highlights when hovering over them with a mouse.
  • Removed the Cargo Drone from Watch Dogs: Legion of the Dead.
PC:
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to be unable to recruit Operatives with the requirement of Season Rank 10 while having already unlocked Rank 10.
Xbox:
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when signing out of the active profile while in the main menu of Watch Dogs: Legion.
  • Fixed an issue where controller inputs did not register if a controller was activated after accepting an out-of-game invitation to start Watch Dogs: Legion.
Xbox One:
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash.

Last edited:

onQ123

I think this has more to do with better data management than compression. On a HDD you need everything to be together for better seek time but with the SSD you can drop it anywhere & you can use the same assets without having to have a bunch of duplicates .

ethomaz

Banned
I read a theory about binary system that seems to fit here.

Previous PS4 and PS5 used a delta system where each file was compared and if there is any change that file was sent to replace the old file via patch… so your patch just have the files modified.

In a binary system the patch only have the binary changes of each file… that way only the parts of these files that are different in binary comparison are send to be changed in the files on your console.

That can explain the small size.
Plus for security the binary apply only happens in a copy of the game files… so first the OS copy all files, apply the binary changes, check the with checksum for example and finally delete the old files.

If that's just the size of the download it doesn't really mean much, we'd really need to know the size of the actual game file after the download to have a better idea of what's going on here.

Neilg

If that's just the size of the download it doesn't really mean much, we'd really need to know the size of the actual game file after the download to have a better idea of what's going on here.

But it's really clear exactly what is happening.
Game data is split into chunks - you can even look at PC games install folders and see some with many multiple gb .pak files. its often more efficient for streaming to package things up, and keeps all necessary data 'close' on the drive.

PC / xbox / ps4 all use chunks of varying sizes which have to be replaced in their entirety. ps5 chunk size is irrelevant because they can be opened up and written to directly. mark cerny spoke about it in the initial hour-long technical ps5 reveal.

Theres a chance the other platforms will be able to do this too eventually - the key to us seeing it here is backend tools which can compare what you want to patch with the shipped game code and generate a package and instructions of what the patch needs to do. Most likely Sony have worked with developers to create a set of tools that allow them to author much smaller patches (because it was a selling point, they invested in it), and nobody has a comparable set of tools for MS consoles (and until the PC version is SSD only, they cant use this there)
Compression alone wouldn't make up for such a huge difference.

But it's really clear exactly what is happening.
Game data is split into chunks - you can even look at PC games install folders and see some with many multiple gb .pak files. its often more efficient for streaming to package things up, and keeps all necessary data 'close' on the drive.

PC / xbox / ps4 all use chunks of varying sizes which have to be replaced in their entirety. ps5 chunk size is irrelevant because they can be opened up and written to directly. mark cerny spoke about it in the initial hour-long technical ps5 reveal.

Theres a chance the other platforms will be able to do this too eventually - the key to us seeing it here is backend tools which can compare what you want to patch with the shipped game code and generate a package and instructions of what the patch needs to do. Most likely Sony have worked with developers to create a set of tools that allow them to author much smaller patches (because it was a selling point, they invested in it), and nobody has a comparable set of tools for MS consoles (and until the PC version is SSD only, they cant use this there)
Compression alone wouldn't make up for such a huge difference.
Yes, I understand how it works on the PS5 but that doesn't alter the fact that all we have so far about the data is the size of the latest download. That's not a great deal of use when we don;t have any other metrics yet, either before or after the download and we don't even have a breakdown of what was patched in each version.

Neilg

we don't even have a breakdown of what was patched in each version.

I dont understand what you're suggesting by saying there's not enough information, or that more metrics are needed. We know exactly why the download size is so small, its because there's nothing else it could be.

There's NO WAY only one console got a patch so different in changes to make up for that size. it's a ubisoft cross-platform game, it's not a port or a completely different base.
When patches are 30gb, they haven't made 30gb worth of changes to assets and files. What you're seeing here is finally an accurate representation of the changes. Other platforms will be able to follow soon enough.

Compression isnt doing this - you can see what compression is doing by looking at the final install size. it is smaller on ps5 - looks like 50gb vs 60.

Last edited:
I dont understand what you're suggesting by saying there's not enough information, or that more metrics are needed. We know exactly why the download size is so small, its because there's nothing else it could be.

There's NO WAY only one console got a patch so different in changes to make up for that size. it's a ubisoft cross-platform game, it's not a port or a completely different base.
When patches are 30gb, they haven't made 30gb worth of changes to assets and files. What you're seeing here is finally an accurate representation of the changes. Other platforms will be able to follow soon enough.

Compression isnt doing this - you can see what compression is doing by looking at the final install size. it is smaller on ps5 - looks like 50gb vs 60.

I've not suggested anywhere that the information that I'm interested in seeing was needed and I've also not mentioned that it's not anything to do with compression.
It's information that I'm interested in knowing and you repeatedly telling me that I don't need to know is not going to change the fact that I'm still interested in knowing.
It means A LOT if you have internet with datacap.
I would hope that for the majority of adults that it's obvious that the amount of data is going to be relevant to anybody who has a datacap. I'm aware that there are still some countries that use such archaic systems as datacaps.
Let's be honest though, I've said nothing to contradict that blindingly obvious statement or replied to any comment discussing that topic. I've also not said that it is relevant to people who have a datacap for much the same reasons that I wouldn't go into a thread about weather and proudly proclaim to people that rain is wet.
I get the feeling that in some ways that you're attempting to have the same conversation as the other feller and are perhaps only replying because they did?

Last edited:

Neilg

It's information that I'm interested in knowing and you repeatedly telling me that I don't need to know is not going to change the fact that I'm still interested in knowing.

But what information is that? Patch notes? How would that tell you how the file sizes should be different?

You already know everything there possibly is to know about this. mark cerny put out an hour long technical deep dive of the ps5 where he described this EXACT thing and how it worked. there is no information that can be learned about this that will possibly change any interpretation of what's happening.

Last edited:
It wouldn't, that was my point - so what's the 'missing information' or metrics you keep talking about then?
You have not even remotely defined what you think is absent.
Strange because that was my exact point to.
I don't feel that anything is absent in relation to what you've mentioned at all, you just seem to be going back to your first error in assuming that I'm attempting to do something that I'm not.
I wish I could remember what the hell it was called, I'm sure somebody else on here will be able to help. The name for online discussions between people but they don't actually realise that they're not discussing the same thing?
It's like you're having an argument about nothing but when I try to explain that it just sounds like I'm ALSO taking part in the argument about nothing which makes you believe it more.

Neilg

Strange because that was my exact point to.
I don't feel that anything is absent in relation to what you've mentioned at all, you just seem to be going back to your first error in assuming that I'm attempting to do something that I'm not.
I wish I could remember what the hell it was called, I'm sure somebody else on here will be able to help. The name for online discussions between people but they don't actually realise that they're not discussing the same thing?
It's like you're having an argument about nothing but when I try to explain that it just sounds like I'm ALSO taking part in the argument about nothing which makes you believe it more.

Your first post said, and I quote:
"we'd really need to know the size of the actual game file after the download to have a better idea of what's going on here."

But my post was 'we know exactly whats going on here'
and you responded to that by saying 'ahh, but we need more information'.
and I said 'what possible more information could there be?' and now you're pulling some shit about having been agreeing with me the whole time because you can't answer the question, which was basically (and still is), what on earth are you going on about?

Good time to bow out, for both of us it seems.

Last edited:
What I would to see does equal whatever the point is that you feel I'm trying to make, there are many things that I would like right now but none of them tie in to what is needed by you or I would imagine anybody else on here.
Look, I've been both polite and patient with you because I would expect no less from other people but I really nothing else to say to after this. I don't have any interest in what you're attempting to do or anything that you could possible say so I'm going to allow you do your thing and I'm going to very quietly walk away from what is the closest thing I've ever had to a frustrating conversation on GAF. It is what it is and it's of no importance to me.

Some people here has very hard problems with her life.
They are hyping Sony for less GB they must download🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Sry guys you will need definitely a real Life!

HoodWinked

Wow so technically the ps5 storage space is more then 10 times as efficiently used then the series x

making the ps5 storage more like 8TB on a series x

maths GIF
No this is just the size of the patch the install sizes are probably similar maybe margin of 10%

Last edited:

Connxtion

Yeah it’s annoying, but add the PS4 version of the same games onto the PS5 version and see if they are closer to the XSX eg…

As I suspect the Xbox games have content for all system variants instead of just the XSX assets for example.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Anyone who doesn't think this is huge is just in denial.
how Do you know this is because of compression and not that something needed to be changed on the Xbox size which
caused a lager patch? Cold War is still around the same exact size on series x and ps5 where’s the compression there?

Top Bottom