• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Legion runs at dynamic 1080p on Series S.

BigLee74

Wowsers, this machine is certainly ruffling the Sony feathers, huh? šŸ˜‚

I think what really grates them is they know this thing is going to fly off the shelves, because outside of geeky gaming forums, nobody will care or even know about things such as resolution. They'll just see 'cheaper'!

MiguelItUp

Yes, the Series S is a cheaper console that isn't as strong as the X. Not sure why this is shocking for folks. It's for people that want to dabble in next-gen but don't care for 4K or discs, haha. Probably more so casual gamers than anything.

I'm still curious to see its performance in general and in other games. Watch Dogs Legion? Nah, game is a mess of a game on all platforms.

if its PC ultra settings at a dynamic 1080p thats fine. Resolution doesnt make a game look bad if its runs at low fps with low details thats when its a problem.

heringer

Gamepass argument is very subjective. Not everyone who wants console want to subscribe to service that forces particular games on him. Besides, any casual entering the console space will be impressed by the graphics of the few games available o playstation collection than the entire game pass lineup.

I also don't believe that a person who wants a cheap console wants to spend $120+ per year. They will barely buy 1 $70 game ( if they don't wait for discount)
It's not subjective. You get a library of hundreds of games (most of them of proven quality) by paying a relatively small monthly fee. It's as objective as it gets.

The only subjective part is if the games are compelling or not, but that's for each individual to judge, not you. Hence, it's amazing value to a lot of people, even if not to you personally.

The mistake some people always seem to make is to divide the gaming world between enthusiasts who buys dozens of games a year and casuals that only buys one or two. In reality, the vast majority of gamers are in between.

Last edited:
:messenger_open_mouth: Game with raytracing running on a Ā£249 console.. Cant even buy a 2060 for that...

Not a GAF console which most on here don't seem to understand...

Yeah its not made for Gaf audience. Its for people who don't waste time on forum like Gaf and Reset era arguing about video games

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, Iā€™m still convinced that the Series is weaker than the One X.
GPU is yes. But CPU and SSD are definitely better.

But since no cross gen games are using the CPU and SSD beyond loading and higher framerates, you wont see that.

MS said that the GPU is 25% faster than last gen per flop. Which means this 4 tflops gpu is only 5 polaris tflops which is obviously a full tflop less than the 6 tflops x1x.

Radeon 570 is a 5 tflops gpu for desktops aimed at 1080p gaming. 1440p claims were always wrong.

sainraja

I

I wouldn't call them clowns, I know people from work who don't own 4k tvs and generally don't care. It'll have an audience despite these differences.

Yeah, but it's not like a 4K console won't run on a TV that is not 4k. They will likely upgrade. So how does what you say address anything in a topic about discussing these differences. HMM.

sainraja

Even with the gimped HDD and CPU?

Well, the Series S is starting to look like an updated version of the Xbox One X due the two things you are highlighting: HDD & CPU. I guess they wanted to keep the XSX in the market but wouldn't have been able to due to those so decided to do the Series S instead and discontinue the XONEX.

Last edited:
Wowsers, this machine is certainly ruffling the Sony feathers, huh? šŸ˜‚

I think what really grates them is they know this thing is going to fly off the shelves, because outside of geeky gaming forums, nobody will care or even know about things such as resolution. They'll just see 'cheaper'!

Beyond geeky forums only Sony and Nintendo exist.

Itā€™s a budget console that tops out at 1440. Itā€™s not going to perform miracles. Thatā€™s why itā€™s cheap and why the XsX exists.
šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Yes that is true but isn't the s going to be what all xbox devs target since that mist likely is going to sell at parity or even more than the series x?

That's a possibility that can happen in some games, again, just like how 1440p it's a possibility, not a lock for every game.

Are you really on NeoGaf? Because you seem to not understand how this works at all.

No offense but that's a cop out. You can run some low budget weebshit or indie trash at 120fps but that doesn't make it a 120fps console.

If this console struggles this early in the gen imagine what will happen in a few years.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I don't want to imagine what hell will break loose when full multiplatform comparisons start popping up, and the XSS looks like a very bad deal compared to next gen and hardly an improvement (or one worth $300) over XOne X.

Microsoft sending it out in the open with nothing engineered to really show its best potential (like, you know, some new first party game) is an extraordinarily dumb move - even more so than for the XSX, which by sheer raw power even in the worst case scenario (poor APIs, late devkits etc.) would be trading blows with PS5 at the very least.

The XSS is an uncomfortable and unusual stopgap that needs Microsoft to make a very strong argument to justify its existence. In a world where XSX, PS5, PS5 Digital and Switch exist and are all very much relevant, I think this machine will hardly have a longer shelf life than the XOne X.

Last edited:
Dynamic 1080 means it drops below 1080p.

So I m assuming it drops to 720p or 900p which is not great for start of next gen on a cross gen game

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yes that is true but isn't the s going to be what all xbox devs target since that mist likely is going to sell at parity or even more than the series x?

Doesn't this thread disprove that? they will just reduce resolution and settings untill they get it where it where it runs like they want it. But we really cant tell until people start comparing all the versions.

Iced Arcade

They should have never mentioned 4k resolution for this box. No one with a 4k TV is buying this anyway.

Good grief.

This thing is a turd.

Why did they claim so much, when it clearly couldnā€™t -

never mind. Microsoft.
How did you lose your tag anyway

Doesn't this thread disprove that? they will just reduce resolution and settings untill they get it where it where it runs like they want it. But we really cant tell until people start comparing all the versions.
Not exactly. If that was how things worked than we would keep porting to last gen. Just lower res and effects. The problem is that it has been confirmed in previous topics that it isn't just dial back settings. It's extra programming, extra manpower, extra time. Nobody would care if it wasn't for the fact that a significant amount of people are buying the Series S making it. Though Series X is more powerful, if half of the people or more are buying the Series S, most developers are going to start there and work up to the Series X. The Series S becomes the face of the Xbox and that "power advantage" goes to the wind if everyone does judgement on the "base" systems which the series S would be the base system while the PS5 doesn't have consoles without different abilities.

bitbydeath

If it's with RT ON, then it's not too bad (it's pretty demanding).

If it's with RT OFF, then it's pretty disappointing.

It seems to not have RT according to the recent interview.

We also inquired as to the different implementations of ray-traced reflections across PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X.

fermcr

Most people don't have 4k TV's or monitors. Neogaf fails to understand that!... 1080p on Series S will be fine for most people.

BTW, most games won't run at 4k with raytracing on PS5 or Xbox Series X. Neogaf also fails to understand that!

Last edited:

heringer

It seems to not have RT according to the recent interview.

Might just be bad wording. Here's what Ubisoft said in a recent PR:

The near-future London of Watch Dogs: Legion will fully benefit from the hardware accelerated raytracing of the new Xbox Series X | S

In addition, the footage shown in the "Inside Series S" video clearly shows RT.

Jon Neu

Banned
??? I think you misquoted me with someone else here.

Yeah man, my bad.

No offense but that's a cop out. You can run some low budget weebshit or indie trash at 120fps but that doesn't make it a 120fps console.

Are the PS5 and the XsX 8K, 120fps gaming machines? Yes, they are, but not as the standard.

Is the Series S a 1440p, 120fps machine? Yes, it is; but it's not going to be the standard neither, it's just the best case scenario.

It really is not that difficult to understand.

If this console struggles this early in the gen imagine what will happen in a few years.

Your concern that serves as a call for other people to be concerned is really concerning.

Most people don't have 4k TV's or monitors. Neogaf fails to understand that!... 1080p on Series S will be fine for most people.

BTW, most games won't run at 4k with raytracing on PS5 or Xbox Series X. Neogaf also fails to understand that!

I mean, it's only a few hundred bucks for a 4K TV now. The game is also dynamic 1080p, meaning it doesn't always hit 1080p, might even rarely hit it. How many people have 900p or 720p TVs?

cryptoadam

Banned
S is a trojan horse anyways.

I bet MS barely made/shipped any of them and stores are going to have little shelf space dedicated to them.

Its just a marketing gimmick to have a "299$" machine. Just like the digital PS5.

I really don't think MS wants to sell many S's and will probably quietly discontinue it in about a year or 2. And with the price of 4K TVs by then the audience for a 1080P system is going to be tiny.

Love the excuses. Especially when MS themselves advertised this as playing next gen games at 1440p. In truth, I suspect most next gen games will target 720p-1080p on it. The S is really just an updated XBO X. I expect it to sell just as well as the X. Hardly.

vpance

S is a trojan horse anyways.

I bet MS barely made/shipped any of them and stores are going to have little shelf space dedicated to them.

Its just a marketing gimmick to have a "299$" machine. Just like the digital PS5.

I really don't think MS wants to sell many S's and will probably quietly discontinue it in about a year or 2. And with the price of 4K TVs by then the audience for a 1080P system is going to be tiny.

I believe Phil said they expect S to outsell X in the future, lol.

Their strategy for S is back-asswards and it targets an audience that doesn't actually exist. People have and will catch on to its poorer than expected performance, small storage space, quickly do the math in comparison to PS5 DE and it will be shunned even by casual buyers as their hardcore friends will tell them it's not worth it.

Jon Neu

Banned
Are we already "targeting" 1080p at 30 fps for cross-gen games? How is this console going to be keeping up in 2-3 years?

Assassin's Creed Valhalla doesn't even run at native 4K in PS5, should we be concerned as how the console is going to keep up too? I mean, if it can't even run a current gen game at native 4K, we should forget about it running a next gen game at 4K. That's the logic, right?

Hell, new consoles "can't" even move Watch Dogs Legion at 60fps. Should we be concerned as how are they going to keep up if they can't move at 60fps a game that, according to some Sony fans here, is worse than a launch PS4 game?

Should we already cancel Next Gen based on some poorly optimized early cross gen games by the likes of Ubisoft? That's the level of discussion here.

Don't worry too much about that console that none of you are going to buy, it's going to run next gen games just fine inside the parameters that was designed for.

Laughable.

This is a ā€œnext-genā€ machine and it canā€™t even run a cross platform title at a locked 1080p.

Nobody should justify this when a PS5 is only $100 more. This is going to be a 720p box within a few years.
Why would you think that? This game runs like shit in every platform. On pc you need a 3080, on series X it runs at dynamic 4K. I think it's pretty obvious that the game is poorly optimized.

Don't blame the hardware, it's the developer's fault. They are incompetent just like 343.

i'm still looking forward to getting one, i have the series x ordered for my main game room, but i'm more looking forward to getting the series s for the smaller TV in the snug.
I really like the form factor of it much more than the X or S 5 and though at first I didn't like the black vent, its really grown on me.
If games are 1080p with decent settings i'll be more than happy, reconstruction techniques dont bother me as long as they work their magic and looks good on my 40" telly. Its replacing an original xbox one so it will be a nice upgrade their.
Then in a couple of years when the mid gen refresh might come out, I will just trade up for the new model.

I don't want to imagine what hell will break loose when full multiplatform comparisons start popping up, and the XSS looks like a very bad deal compared to next gen and hardly an improvement (or one worth $300) over XOne X.

The main upgrade over the One X is that it can play next-gen games. The One X can't.

Vae_Victis

Banned
The main upgrade over the One X is that it can play next-gen games. The One X can't.
You are right, but how many next-gen only games are coming out on Xbox in the next year, possibly more? I can think of The Medium and Scorne, are there more?

Basically all multiplatforms are cross gen right now, and it might take a while before the transition is completed. Last time it took 1 to 2 years depending on the publisher, but now there is also Switch around, which might be a good enough incentive to keep on producing a "lesser version" to put on PS4/XOne as well for even longer.

I'm not saying Series S is objectively useless, I'm saying I think it will be a very tough sale in a lot of territories, because it falls in a price spot that is already more or less occupied by other more established products, and if you already have a current-gen console and look at what the XSS is offering in the near future, I think most people would rather wait a year or two and buy a PS5/XSX.

Top Bottom