• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion Review Thread

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There are many reasons that it could score that way and none of them have to be the ones you mentioned which seems to be the case with the reviews.

If you watch videos and don't like what you see, fine.

Every review pretty much says the same thing: it‘s okay. Not terrible, not great. Because that’s Ubisoft. And it’ll continue to be Ubisoft all the time people keep giving this factory line shit a pass by buying it over and over.

Last edited:

Nico_D

After games like Rayman Legends and Mario & Rabbids, Rabbids Go Home and all the old Assassin's Creeds and Splinter Cells and even the first Watch Dogs this is where Ubisoft has ended. Mediocrity.

Probably by choice though because innovation takes time and talent.

This is about what I expected from a WD game and the previews. I could not possibly care less about the story. I'm in it for the eye candy and what appears to be some interesting gameplay. Permadeath should be fun.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Just remember all: this is the same team that put up a WD3 themed #freehongkong post on their facebook page and immediately removed it when requested by Beijing. This is the same game that claims to be anti-establishment, about social justice, about the freedom of speech. Jesus fucking christ those words have never rung more hollow. If you actually believe in freedom of speech and true creative expression, you should not be going anywhere near this game.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
After games like Rayman Legends and Mario & Rabbids, Rabbids Go Home and all the old Assassin's Creeds and Splinter Cells and even the first Watch Dogs this is where Ubisoft has ended. Mediocrity.

Probably by choice though because innovation takes time and talent.

Once you stop thinking of Ubisoft as a games developer, and start thinking of them as a fast food manufacturer, you‘ve got it about right.

They are absolutely the worst of this industry. They don’t care about anything other than the churn of games that constantly earns them a certain level of profit... to churn out the next game.

They’re a factory production line, making the minimum of effort for the easiest amount of return. And it works for them, because many people just suck up the same old shit over and over. And buy into micro transactions like the sheep they are.

And Ubi also sexually abuse their employees, while trumpeting about how diverse and equal they are.

Seriously #FuckUbisoft.

:messenger_hushed:

Last edited:

Butch_0451

Pretty much what I expected. People need to bear in mind that this game was scheduled for a March release, so imagine if they sticked to that.

GreyHorace

Just remember all: this is the same team that put up a WD3 themed #freehongkong post on their facebook page and immediately removed it when requested by Beijing. This is the same game that claims to be anti-establishment, about social justice, about the freedom of speech. Jesus fucking christ those words have never rung more hollow. If you actually believe in freedom of speech and true creative expression, you should not be going anywhere near this game.

Of course. Ubisoft - We protest the white establishment that we live in but we don't dare piss off our Chinese overlords.

jigglet

Banned
Of course. Ubisoft - We protest the white establishment that we live in but we don't dare piss off our Chinese overlords.

Absolute scumbags. I used to be a huge Ubi supporter due to how well they nailed Siege. Now I think they're dirt on my shoe.

That Gamespot review is all over the great message of this game.

I'm a bit concerned about the tone and political views of it. Hopefully it's not too much Antifa left wing all are equal we have to unite BS.

Will find out for myself tomorrow I guess.

It always baffles me that there are people against the notion that we are all equal and should be united and care for each other.

Freeman76

Looks fun, if I want a good story I play Red Dead, Mass Effect or Last of Us. I would never buy a Ubisoft game expecting anything other than something resembling a primary school class attempt at being relevant. The gameplay looks great and the permadeath I will try out, switching to NZ and booting immediately :)

jigglet

Banned
It always baffles me that there are people against the notion that we are all equal and should be united and care for each other.

You're missing the point. No reasonable person disagrees with the core values of Antifa and the BLM movement. Racial equality is fucking important as hell, as is equality in general. People who have issues with BLM and Antifa are not against what they stand for. They are against the means by which they're making themselves heard.

For example, I think the #metoo movement was trash that violated the very core tenets of our legal system, but I'm also a huge supporter of gender equality. People on the far left just can't comprehend how I can be two things at once. Don't paint us all in such black and white terms. Most of us simply can't stand people at either ends of the extreme. The extreme left is no better than the extreme right.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

'Watch Dogs: Legion' Promises Revolution, But Mostly Delivers Distraction

aded5f613d7e0bf792c3f5450f7a75f3.gif

Bragr

Banned
The city looks nice at least, but the story and the whole resistence angle looks absolutely terrible, and it looks like it plays identical to Watch Dogs 2.

Nico_D

I don't think that is the problem because, I like to think, most people take equality as given. Of course we are.

It is just that that kind of "message" is what children come up with and I find it slightly embarassing coming from adults who really understand that most people think like that already and those who don't won't change their minds no matter how much and in which media you preach it.

I'd appreciate something more ambigious like how people with good intention may in some cases turn into what they object.

Maybe WD2 does this. Idk.

I feel like if you like Saints row craziness but mediocricy in everything in it you will love Legion, but if you love GTA greatness about every detail you will hate Legion.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Uhm 7.5 seems about right. The series needs a complete reboot/overhaul.

Just throw the IP in the trash can and come up with something new that won't make me cringe.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
feels like they forgot Watch Dogs 2 exists and made another sequel to the first game but just not as good...

I enjoyed Watch Dogs 1 but 2 was so much better. Legion seems like a step back. I think it'll be better than the first game but i just can't see it being as good as 2.

nkarafo

Man... Ubisoft games can look look so good. And then you play them and you are bored to death. I'm trying really hard to go through some of them, just to marvel at the nice graphics, but it's so hard.

Sethbacca

I feel like if you like Saints row craziness but mediocricy in everything in it you will love Legion, but if you love GTA greatness about every detail you will hate Legion.

I was tempted to get this just to have an open city to fuck around and drive cars in but then I remembered GTA 5 was getting remastered. Have they shown us anything on that yet other than the initial teaswr trailer that wasn't super impressive imo?

amigastar

I was tempted to get this just to have an open city to fuck around and drive cars in but then I remembered GTA 5 was getting remastered. Have they shown us anything on that yet other than the initial teaswr trailer that wasn't super impressive imo?
No, but they told that there will be a new Vegetation System and an enhanced Damage and Weather System and more traffic Also more animals. Thats all we know right now.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
I'm excited to see how it looks on the RTX3080 and hope to get some fun out of it. Looking at early game footage the dialogue is extremely cringe but the gameplay is good enough so even if I don't last the whole 35-40 hours it should be a nice London visit.

That being said I can't believe they thought WD1 problem was its grit. The problem of WD1 was a terribly written protagonist but the cheerfulness of hackers and just wackiness of it all just goes overboard more and more. Since part 2 they moved to DedSEC = craaaazzy hackers having fun and working against the SYSTEM and it just feels off like an older person appealing to young teenagers.

Nico_D

Is the message of the game really about how killing and mayhem is justifiable when it is done for "a greater good"? Are the antagonists the fascists in this game or is it the player? Or both?

Freeman76

On 1X this looks pretty crap. Flickery shadows, shimmering everywhere. This clearly needed more time in the oven performance wise, WD2 was a hell of a lot better in this dept. I guess there will be a patch at some point.

aries_71

The problem I have with this franchise is that I find very hard to envision hackers touting Ak-47s and stealing cars at gunpoint to get out of firefights. Somehow, that’s not very hacker.

aries_71

On 1X this looks pretty crap. Flickery shadows, shimmering everywhere. This clearly needed more time in the oven performance wise, WD2 was a hell of a lot better in this dept. I guess there will be a patch at some point.
Shit. I’m replaying WD2 in a 1X and it’s a 900p shimmering mess of jaggies. I can’t believe it’s worse than that. They make very competent graphics in open world games, such as Division, Origin, Odissey or Ghost Recon. What gives?

Yeah, what a horrible message. I mean, out of all the things you could want to say...
It's because you know they have a completely different definition of those words. What they want for equality and unity aren't what somebody (with the polar opposite principles) want(s).

I mean, Brexit? Seriously? That's propaganda.

Last edited:

Roufianos

The dialogue is horrific as well, UK actors trying to sound hard/gangsta/street is one of the most cringe things on planet earth

Funny thing is that fake London accent (that doesn't even exist, its all just an act, so if you hear someone with that accent IRL, they're putting it on, therefore an utter bellend)

Ya git me fam

Also stormzy.........gtfo lol

Yea, the dialogue is cringe. That's not how we talk.

Game looks awful anyway. Not even gonna consider gettting it.

cucuchu

About where I thought it would land. A lot of enjoyment seems to be derived from the permadeath/higher difficulty settings and that kind of emergent gameplay referenced in a few reviews. I got it for free with my 3080 so i'll be happy with a fun, albeit janky, mess of a game.

Top Bottom