• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion launches March 6, 2020 for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia

I liked the granny character a lot.

Is Stephen Merchant the voice all the characters are getting directions from? He did such a great job in portal 2.

Thing is... won't the smaller amount of killing in this game seem really boring to Londoners, who are living through a murder epidemic right now? they don't need to play a fantasy dystopian London, it'd be much more exciting to go outside and see if they can avoid getting stabbed

Map looks big (can be seen when the old lady is at the bus stop) but doesn't seem to have anything outside London which is a shame.

Be cool if they bring out a WD Online and have all three maps available to jump to at any time. I really want someone to take on GTAO.

KonradLaw

I will miss the geekiness of WD2, since it allowed them to create very unusual missions. The freedom-fighter angle of WD3 won't work the same way. Still..I also loved the first one and Legion looks spectacular with some really clever evolutions of the systems. Ubisoft is so rodiculously ahead of everybody else in terms of open world gameplay systems these days.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Anti-Brexit propaganda.

I like how the game is primarily a commentary on surveillance overreach and technological obsession, but all you can think of is how it might portray a post-Brexit UK as less than divine perfection.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I like how the game is primarily a commentary on surveillance overreach and technological obsession, but all you can think of is how it might portray a post-Brexit UK as less than divine perfection.
To be fair, the presenter at E3 specifically mentioned Brexit.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
To be fair, the presenter at E3 specifically mentioned Brexit.

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that -- it's just that if you look at the content, Brexit doesn't factor much into it. It's not like you're fighting against an autocratic Boris Johnson who's rounding up immigrants.

And I'll agree with Vpance that the UK has a surveillance-happy culture regardless of Brexit. Watch Dogs just takes it to a logical extreme for the sake of a more intriguing setting.

somerset

A mainstream AAA game with *ambition*- isn't that against some law?

Anyhoo, here's the dealio. *If* you have on-the-ball game managers (I mean real managers, not the wasters most call managers), you can get the script and voice actor process under way from day one, and generate *obscene* amounts of voice work for a very modest cost. Handle this form of data well, and it is more than possible to fully voice *any* number of NPC's for a *vastly* lower cost than paying the royaltioes for a hand full of well known pop songs.

Say 200 NPC's fully voiced with full mission variants and real-time cut-scene seamless insert ability. All a matter of good project management. Yet never before witnessed in gaming history.

The one thing a AAA budget brings to the table is exactly this. Today the state-of-the-art is the sh-tty cut-n-paste world of AC:O (or AC:O) where you wanna slit your wrists (if your IQ makes at least high double digits) when you discover how conceptually empty and pointless and gameplay free these new Assasssin's Creed worlds are.

The challenge, taken on by ubisoft, is how to fix the AC:O problem. How to reliably generate data continuously across the dev lifetime of a project that actually adds *real* value to an open world game.

Watchdogs 3 looks like a good first step, and a *major* attempt to pre-empt the work in Cyberpunk and GTA VI.

An open world *worth* exploring. An open world with characters *worth* meeting. An open world with something constantly *new* to do- not the mega shit braindead wash-and-repeat of AC:O.

Keep dirty Hollywood agents and unions *out* of gaming, and voicework is highly affordable and pays well for the types of peeps who do it well (clue- not the whiny spoilt Hollywood brats). Likewise script writing for basic dribble ordinary NPCs might say- any basic competent writer can bang out this narrative free content.

This issue is simply one of time management. Getting the *millions* of words written by your teams of writers. Getting hundreds of voice recordings done in over-lapping waves, and getting all the recordings checked for correct quality as they are made. A *lot* of people all working at the same time- but this is how Hollywood gets so many of the amazing VFX work done- or animation for TV and screen.

AAA gaming has, all too often, been an utter joke of bad management. Churn where it is common for two years work to be *binned* when the dribbling managers discover it is garbage, and everyone starts over (how Bethesda works on anything 'open world'). But AAA gaming *must* grow up as budgets explode and game ambition explodes. The old amateur methods must be ended. Churn must end. Work done day one must end up in the finished game.

Meanwhile the usual mouthbreathers will tell us how 'crap' the whole thing looked. Imagine the pain game devs feel casting their pearls before the stoned/drunk sofa gaming crowd.

VulcanRaven

This looked great. I'm glad that this is set in London and that character switching look fun. I hope we don't have to wear those masks.

Zannegan

I'm interested in the gameplay and the mechanics, but why do Ubisoft's writers keep trying to turn murderers and thieves into heart-o-gold do-gooders? It was never more hilarious than when they made Blackbeard concerned not with personal freedom or gold, but with medecine to save his boys, but this looks to be coming close.

Characters (especially thieves and assassins) can be compelling without a strong moral compass, and it would make a hell of a lot more sense if an ancient order of anarchists or a gang of hackers were just the tiniest bit less like the pure driven snow. But every time you go out on a heist or a little political murder in an Ubi game you gotta hear how the guys you're stealing from bankrupted an orphanage last week or this target is bankrolling a human trafficking ring or something. It's just silly.

Maybe the dude using his cell phone to steal the life's savings of every random passer-by doesn't want to unfuck the world and save England, maybe he just wants to get his and watch the world burn from a penthouse apartment. And it's not like moral ambivalence has ever tanked a GTA's sales. What are they afraid of that makes them dance on the edge of anarchy, and then run straight into a nunnery for every game series not named Far Cry (And even then)?

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Why not? The masks are always wicked in the game
I liked the mask that Aiden Pierce had but I don't want use something like the pig mask that is on the cover of this game. I liked the more serious tone of the first game.

Last edited:

meanspartan

Man this one comes across as condescending doesn't it?

French publisher releasing a game about a post-Brexit London in which it has gone totally fascist, complete with deportation squads roaming the streets LOL. We get it, you don't like Brexit.

That said, the "recruit anyone" mechanic seems cool if it works as advertised.

I played WD for a few hours before shelfing it. I played WD2 for about 15 hours, never finished it, but enjoyed it for the most part.

Can't say I am Day One, but am interested in seeing more of this.

pdubya

Neo Member
Man this one comes across as condescending doesn't it?

French publisher releasing a game about a post-Brexit London in which it has gone totally fascist, complete with deportation squads roaming the streets LOL. We get it, you don't like Brexit.

Not really, its being made by Ubisoft Toronto and Clint Hocking isn't French.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I liked the mask that Aiden Pierce had but I don't want use something like the pig mask that is on the cover of this game. I liked the more serious tone of the first game.
Yeah I understand. I personally don't like them too

Don't mind bandana covering half face or a skull mask

Bkdk

This game has a surprising solid showing. This time the devs know their limits and simply go for the playground approach and let players cause mayhem in the city, also some character animation changes according to their background is a nice little touch. Still the character design is pretty bad overall so I’ll see how it goes in the end. At least they don’t try to overhype the game so hopefully they are able to deliver this lowered standard that they aim for. Should be some decent 10-15 hours fun if they do it right.

majorscud

I have looked around a bunch, maybe my Google skills are lacking. Did Ubisoft explain what this 4 weeks of VIP access is in the Ultimate edition? Is there some sort of paid online component of the game or something? I was ready to throw down a preorder on this, but not if there is some sort of pay for access mechanic built in.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Last edited:

SonGoku

econwbybn1431.gif

This game looks soo boring and uninspired, i got a feeling it will do worst than previous entries.

Last edited:
Top Bottom