• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs: Legion launches March 6, 2020 for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia

Mista

Banned

Watch Dogs: Legion will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia on March 6, 2020, Ubisoft announced during its E3 2019 press conference.

Here is an overview of the game, via Ubisoft:
About

It’s time to take back London, and virtually anyone you see in this iconic city can be recruited to your resistance. The people are being oppressed by corrupt opportunists and it’s up to you to build a resistance to give the city back to the people. With an entire population of potential recruits and the city’s technology at your fingertips, you’ll need to hack, infiltrate, and fight your way to a liberated London. Welcome to the Resistance.

Key Features

• Play as Anyone – Recruit anyone from the entire population of London into your resistance: from an MI6 agent to a tough bareknuckle fighter, a brilliant hacker or an illegal street-racer, a rising football star or an inconspicuous old lady… Anyone you see can join your team and has a unique backstory, personality, and skillset.
  • Customize Your Recruits – Unlock unique perks to personalize each member of your Legion according to your playstyle. Level-up each character within classes such as Hacker, Infiltrator, and Assault. Customize them further with unique outfits and iconic masks.
  • Hacking is Your Weapon – Weaponize London’s tech infrastructure. Hijack armed combat drones, deploy stealthy spider-bots, covertly take down enemies using an Augmented Reality Cloak, and much more.
  • Total Freedom, Real Consequences – Play the game the way you want. A brand-new melee system and a wide range of weapons and abilities means that the way you approach combat has real consequences. If you use non-lethal force, the enemy will attempt to subdue and arrest you. If you shoot to kill, you risk having your characters permanently killed.
  • Open-World London – Explore a massive urban open world and visit London’s many famous landmarks – including Trafalgar Square, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, Camden, Piccadilly Circus, or the London Eye – and engage in side activities like bareknuckle boxing, freestyle football, illegal courier contracts or street art.
  • Team Up with Friends – Bring your team online and join forces with up to three friends as you freely explore the world together or take on entirely new co-op missions and challenging end-game content. Enjoy free regular updates adding new online modes, rewards, and themed events.

The game will be available in the following editions:
Standard

Pre-order now and get the Golden King pack, featuring a mask and golden skins for a pistol and vehicles!

Upgrade to the Gold Edition or Ultimate Edition for three-day early access and additional content!

Gold Edition

Receive three-day early access and the Season Pass with the Gold Edition, including five new stories, four iconic heroes with unique abilities, and immediate access to one story!

Pre-order now and get the Golden King pack, featuring a mask and golden skins for a pistol and vehicles!

Ultimate Edition

Ultimate edition includes the season pass, up to three-day early access to the game, and additional digital content: Urban Jungle Pack (three unique characters), three masks and four-week VIP Status.

Collector’s Edition

Collector’s Edition includes a 38cm replica of the in-game Ded Coronet mask, the Ultimate Edition (Urban Jungle Pack, three masks, four-week VIP status, Season Pass), the ULC of the Ded Coronet mask, a SteelBook, a set of three stickers, a poster, up to three-day early access to the game.

Pre-order now and get the Golden King pack featuring the Uneasy Lies mask and golden skins for a pistol and vehicles!

Collector's Edition ($189.99)
D8ugvKRUYAAOkRM

Screenshots:

Last edited:

makaveli60

Game of the show. London makes it Day 1 for me but the game itself is amazing too. I like the tone, the music and everything they have shown. I can't understand how they do it, this is some nextgen shit. I hoped for an Autumn release, but oh well. Can't wait.

vpance

How are they creating all these playable chars? Maybe they just have like 3 or 4 preset combos and just mix and match animations, skins, skills and VOs.

Last edited:
The concept alone is so interesting. Its like in MGS Peace Walker how you build your crew, but they all have lives and backgrounds. I ignored WD 1 & 2, but I may try this out.

At first I thought this was Antifa Simulator 2020 but after seeing how it works it seems more like Antifa Manager 2020. Build your fantasy Antifa squad and take back the streets of London!

I'll probably still be there day one. 🤷‍♂️

I just don't see Ubisoft convincing me why Watch Dogs is supposed to be more interesting now. The gameplay loop of Watch Dogs always felt meh, like it was a bad version of GTA, while it technically had the possibility of being greater.
I don't see how playing as anyone really helps that part. It should make for fun YouTube videos and fun streams at least though.

Plotwise not interesting either, basically same old oppressive government, let's fight back with weapons. I was honestly hoping they'd take it in an intellectual direction with the story. Like the amount of surveillance in London, the state's interest in surveillance, the large companies that get our information freely. With how you're invading privacy all around in Watch Dogs, it could've been a really interesting story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This was the only thing shown at the Ubisoft conference that I was even remotely interested in. I love the first two games, and this looks like they're going full wacky Saint's Row with the franchise. I like the idea of recruiting members to DedSec and permadeath. I probably won't buy it at launch (so they can work out the bugs) but I'll be picking it up a few months afterwards probably.

Kadayi

Banned
They messed up by going down the stupid route. If it had a more serious tone, I think it would have been compelling.

Yeah, they've gone the goofy route, which seems like a mistake.

Oh Saints row fans will dig this !

That would require it to be funny, rather than cringe.

And does anyone not swear in this game?

Yeah, that was cringe as well. What's the point in setting a game in London, if you're going to turn everyone into mockneys?

Last edited:

vpance

I just don't see Ubisoft convincing me why Watch Dogs is supposed to be more interesting now. The gameplay loop of Watch Dogs always felt meh, like it was a bad version of GTA, while it technically had the possibility of being greater.
I don't see how playing as anyone really helps that part. It should make for fun YouTube videos and fun streams at least though.

Plotwise not interesting either, basically same old oppressive government, let's fight back with weapons. I was honestly hoping they'd take it in an intellectual direction with the story. Like the amount of surveillance in London, the state's interest in surveillance, the large companies that get our information freely. With how you're invading privacy all around in Watch Dogs, it could've been a really interesting story.

GTA missions have always been an absolute joke after SA. WD actually has some decent gunplay and casual stealth mechanics. MP is pretty fun too, at least it was in WD1. Story is hit or miss yeah, but I dig the setting in general.

Looks interesting.

I thought Far Cry 5 handled the political content in it's story very well without feeling like just a piece of agitprop, so I expect something similar here.

vpance

PC Gamer preview. Sounds very promising

https://www.pcgamer.com/watch-dogs-legion-is-the-most-impressive-e3-demo-ive-played-in-years/

It's not magic, this NPC recruitment system, but it does offer a very detailed simulation, and it makes Watch Dogs Legion feel like it's genuinely innovating. I ask creative director Clint Hocking how many variations and voice actors there are. "That's a complicated question just by itself. We've recorded 20 different what we call 'narrative personas', and those narrative personas all have their own lines written, so it's not just different voices saying the same stuff. They all have different personalities, perspectives and viewpoints, and those are combined with all the other things, the physical animation archetypes and all of that stuff. But roughly, there's 20 major characterisations across the game." That means your recruits will react differently in cutscenes, and that it's much more than just an appearance swap.

The people you meet have their own schedules, family members, jobs, and homes. "There's a huge simulation. It's not just that we create random characters, they all have their own lives and they all have their needs and wants and opinions about Dedsec, the factions and all of that stuff. So when you interact with that simulation, it's not player-centric. The simulation keeps moving. If you kill someone—you see a man and a wife and you kill the guy's wife—he's not going to go to his appointment with his wife any more, he's going to go to the graveyard instead for a little while. And then after a little time, when he's done his mourning, he'll have a new thing to do in that part of his schedule. He'll have a new friend, or a new problem or whatever. All of it keeps moving forward all the time."

A.Romero

Never played a Watch Dogs game before but this has caught my interest. The part I like the most about Shadow of War is building and managing my army, this sounds pretty similar. If they can make it as dynamic it will be a fun experience.

zeorhymer

Interesting gameplay. You recruit people for your cause. You have to do a loyalty mission to be in your roster. Each character can die and it's a perma death. Each character have randomized traits. Ranging from more damage with guns to being able to reuse spider robots more than once. All of characters know what is happening to with each other.

Color me impressed and I'm day one for this game.

EDMIX

Well, since it appears you can play as anyone, I'm guessing there will be fewer complaints about the “lack of representation”.

I love it, It think being able to play so many different demographics is awesome. From a gameplay perspective, being able to play an elderly person that has seen a lot and connections to different organizations builds a cool narrative. I think they pulled off the concept pretty well and I'll likely buy it. I think its a really cool idea. Having a team of folks with different backgrounds, specialties, abilities and designs is a pretty cool concept.

Between FFVII and cyberpunk ...
Sorry maybe next time.

Im getting all 3

Last edited:
I love it, It think being able to play so many different demographics is awesome. From a gameplay perspective, being able to play an elderly person that has seen a lot and connections to different organizations builds a cool narrative. I think they pulled off the concept pretty well and I'll likely buy it. I think its a really cool idea. Having a team of folks with different backgrounds, specialties, abilities and designs is a pretty cool concept.

So I guess you can that you really riked it!

daninthemix

On a related note - do Ubisoft game titles have colons or not? They seemed to drop them entirely around the time of Assassin's Creed Unity (or Assassin's Creed: Unity).

BunzLee

Does anyone buy into that whole "you can play anyone, and everyone has their own OG story" thing? It sounds way too ambitious. I can't see them pulling this off...?

This is Clint Hocking, right? It could work.

I wonder if you can play it like Pokemon, where you collect every person in the city. Gotta catch 'em all! All 8,825,000 of them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll probably pick it up but honestly it looks like a step backwards from WD2.

Does anyone buy into that whole "you can play anyone, and everyone has their own OG story" thing? It sounds way too ambitious. I can't see them pulling this off...?
maybe not like you think. there's no way they are gonna come up with a unique story for every single NPC.

they'll likely create a database with a list of different traits, perks, skills, and variables. each NPC will then be generated a random profile. depending on how in depth they go you might play 100 characters before you start to see some things repeated or maybe it'll be super obvious it's just copied & pasted after 10 NPCs. we'll see.

same probably goes for the voice actors and motion capture. you'll hear the same voice for multiple characters and notice similar animations. again it depends how many people they hire (and how good the actor is) to make it believable. there is a reason most video games only let you control 1, 2 or 3 characters throughout the entire game. creating 1,2 or 3 unique characters is difficult enough so doing it for hundreds of characters it pretty much impossible (or very expensive + time consuming).

Last edited:

Pandemic

The gameplay didn't really sell it for me. Big fan of the first, the second was good but this one seems to be a bit of a hit and miss. Will wait for more gameplay.

Top Bottom