• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 3 Review Thread

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I am really liking it but there are some really annoying issues in this game.

The loading takes fucking forever even on an SSD. Its like I am back in the HDD days. Even quickloads into the same area going back a few seconds is painfully slow. Its Bloodborne unpatched on the PS4 levels of awful. On a PC with an SSD.

Also I keep running into mobs that one shot 2-3 of my characters every turn they get. I get through encounters barely but have to burn all my money into heals. This is on quests/areas that are supposed to be at my level? And this is on normal. I am not an Turn based expert but I know my way around these games. I feel like I am doing something wrong and I have no clue what.

I am this close to using some infinite money hack and just buying myself a crap ton of heals to avoid the grind.

I'm having a not so easy but not so hard time on Jerk difficulty and getting one-shot is very common. My tip is get a mechanics based character and an explosives one. Summoning robots in fights has made things almost a cakewalk and blowing stuff up with aoe rocket damage even easier. I've survived fights I thought impossible with just the turrets. Be aware tho, summoning can also cause bugs even more so because the bots are AI controlled and sometimes it freezes annd u just have to restart the combat but what can u do. inXile are fucking garbage at optimizing their games, worse than old Obsidian. And they almost never fix their issues. Pretty great game ruined but nonstop bullshit bugs.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

The Aspen quest was so fucking good, highlight of the game for me.

I'm having a not so easy but not so hard time on Jerk difficulty and getting one-shot is very common. My tip is get a mechanics based character and an explosives one. Summoning robots in fights has made things almost a cakewalk and blowing stuff up with aoe rocket damage even easier. I've survived fights I thought impossible with just the turrets. Be aware tho, summoning can also cause bugs even more so because the bots are AI controlled and sometimes it freezes annd u just have to restart the combat but what can u do. inXile are fucking garbage at optimizing their games, worse than old Obsidian. And they almost never fix their issues. Pretty great game ruined but nonstop bullshit bugs.

The only time you stop getting one shot in Supreme Jerk is with mid + end game upgrades honestly.

DJT123

This game is hard as fuck (I'm playing on very hard) but I wouldn't have it any other way. It's so wonderfully balanced in combat with zero trash encounters- can't afford any slip-ups.

So I am kinda stuck.

I just did the Regan-Denver questline. I am level 10. Next in the main series quest requires level 17 or 19. And I have no other side quests available to play with.

Where should I go to do some side quests and level up a bit so I can get back to the main story line?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I am kinda stuck.

I just did the Regan-Denver questline. I am level 10. Next in the main series quest requires level 17 or 19. And I have no other side quests available to play with.

Where should I go to do some side quests and level up a bit so I can get back to the main story line?

Strange I came back from there at level 19 because of all the side questing.

Maybe explore the world map to scout out new locations & do the random encounters?

denisonja

Neo Member
I really enjoy this game but bugs are killing me.... From tiny ones like not being able to use an item to a game breaking like medical marvel bug. Cause of that i had to restart (i was some 15 hours in game) and not use that quirk. If i get one more bug like that im done with this game until its patched at least 10 times :)

FireFly

I really enjoy this game but bugs are killing me.... From tiny ones like not being able to use an item to a game breaking like medical marvel bug. Cause of that i had to restart (i was some 15 hours in game) and not use that quirk. If i get one more bug like that im done with this game until its patched at least 10 times :)
What is the medical marvel bug?

JLB

Banned
Well, what a wonderful ride was this game. Just finished it yesterday. Some thoughts:

1. Characters and decision paths are, as usual with inXile, sublime. Theres no binary, purely good or bad moves.
2. RPG skills / attribute system is incredible well thought and balanced.
3. Finale is freaking awesome ha... nice touch there.
4. On the con side, I'd point out three things: load times, some crashes from time to time, and the fact that you cannot continue playing after finishing the game.

Time to move to Tony Hawk now!

denisonja

Neo Member
What is the medical marvel bug?
There is a quirk called Medical marvel which gives you +5 CON per level but the downside is you can't revive the character during combat phase. I had that on my tanky melee char and when he got downed by fire i thought that's ok, i just wait until the combat ends. But when combat ends, if the char has low health and some DoT on him, if he gets knocked down by this DoT (like fire) you can't revive him anymore unless you have nitro spike. So i got into situation where my tank got knocked down and i had no nitro.... I just got pissed and started over.....

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Another update wants me to re-download the entire game. This is getting annoying.

Same thing--the Gamepass app needs me to re-install from scratch. That makes 5 times I have needed to d/l the game on my data capped internet. I'll have to drop out here, unfortunately. It's a shame, as I was really enjoying the game.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Same thing--the Gamepass app needs me to re-install from scratch. That makes 5 times I have needed to d/l the game on my data capped internet. I'll have to drop out here, unfortunately. It's a shame, as I was really enjoying the game.
That's weird for example Gears 5 downloads same size patches as on Console, not whole game.

Kimahri

Banned
Anyone else have a huge sound spike when reviving. It booms through my sub like an atom bomb just went off. Loudest sound in the game by far. Really weird.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm gutted that they've fixed the Antique perk. I sold an antique for 40k about 6 hours in to the game.

Set me up for the rest of the game 😂

I didn't bother to exploit it when I had the chance.

Doing that trivialises certain aspects of the game, surprised they left it in for so long TBH.

DJT123

Such a good game but there's no way to reduce silly 30 + second load-times even if you put it on your SSD.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

rib8rw.gif.05c1047c2dd98568f078b3772e962791.gif

Fucking finally.
Will start a second playthrough.
2020 has been a blessing when it comes to RPGs, P5Royal, FFVIIR, W3, and we still have BG3 EA and Cyberpunk 2020, can't wait!

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

desertdroog

I have $50 in Game Stop cards. Is this game any good on the X Box One X or should I wait until I get the new Xbox next gen console or when I build a new rig sometime later in 2021?

I am curious if the game runs well or if there is anything that is frustrating by running it on a console.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I have $50 in Game Stop cards. Is this game any good on the X Box One X or should I wait until I get the new Xbox next gen console or when I build a new rig sometime later in 2021?

I am curious if the game runs well or if there is anything that is frustrating by running it on a console.
the biggest patch for the game dropped yesterday and it has said to have a lot of fixes but it is too early to say. The game definitely has bugs but its not broken.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Timely question and response. I had no idea.

Thank you for the reply.

Hopped into the reddit page and a lot of people are still saying they have issues. While others have said not many at all. So still seems to be a toss up.

Edit: The track record for this dev is not great in terms of bugs in games. The game will likely never be bug free. Just an fyi.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Hopped into the reddit page and a lot of people are still saying they have issues. While others have said not many at all. So still seems to be a toss up.

Edit: The track record for this dev is not great in terms of bugs in games. The game will likely never be bug free. Just an fyi.
Glitches and bugs don't bother me as long as it isn't game breaking. I'm a fan of Fallout New Vegas, so I can deal. I jumped in and bought a copy. It's been a long time since I have played a turn based RPG; I would like to see more games like this and hope my support shows that these types of games are still wanted.

DonJorginho

Banned
This worth picking up on PS5? (PS4 Version), on sale for £30ish on the PS Store and although I have never tried any of the series before it looks like my cup of tea and something to sink my teeth into whilst working from home!

M1chl

This worth picking up on PS5? (PS4 Version), on sale for £30ish on the PS Store and although I have never tried any of the series before it looks like my cup of tea and something to sink my teeth into whilst working from home!
Absolutely yes, if you don't mind the isometric view and turn-based combat. It's probably best RPG in recent years.

DonJorginho

Banned
Absolutely yes, if you don't mind the isometric view and turn-based combat. It's probably best RPG in recent years.
Turn-based combat is something I don't usually like unless it is like X-Com with a more tactical perspective, from what I have seen I suspect this is similar to the combat of Wasteland 3?

It does look cracking, do you need to play the prior games or watch a story recap would you say before picking up?

M1chl

Turn-based combat is something I don't usually like unless it is like X-Com with a more tactical perspective, from what I have seen I suspect this is similar to the combat of Wasteland 3?

It does look cracking, do you need to play the prior games or watch a story recap would you say before picking up?
Yeah it's way more like x-com than any other tactical RPG, however the combat is not that random, it's fair and you skills counts, they do not add any other randomnes to how big chance you have to hit someone, get crit and stuff like that....

DonJorginho

Banned
Yeah it's way more like x-com than any other tactical RPG, however the combat is not that random, it's fair and you skills counts, they do not add any other randomnes to how big chance you have to hit someone, get crit and stuff like that....
That sounds great, I love games that reward your skills fairly and don't just leave it to the multiplier gods.

Do you recommend me watching a story recap before diving in?

M1chl

That sounds great, I love games that reward your skills fairly and don't just leave it to the multiplier gods.

Do you recommend me watching a story recap before diving in?
Well it's not really needed, you are setting up basically whole new team at the start. I don't think you are missing anything if you don't watch that : ) Also keep an eye for Toaster Repair, which is like lockpick skill but thanks to it, you will receive better gear and guns, which really comes in handy. That's all I can say to this, so enjoy : )

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
First Wasteland for me, I'm playing in coop with a friend and I have to say this is an absolute blast.
The fact that the game forces you to take sides is great, there are some really tough decisions. I just arrived in Denver and this Reagan cult is so much fun, I mean, look at this:

unknown.png

Can't wait to continue this one

Bridges

Glad they're still working on this, but they've really gotta fix those multiplayer servers. Even after all the patches there are still incredibly frequent disconnects inside and outside of combat. This game would be one of the greatest if it consistently worked.

We end up taking several week-long breaks between sessions due to frustration from losing progress so frequently, even when trying to save at every moment it's inevitable that we slip up and get dc'd at the worst time.

Top Bottom