• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Zelda Wind Waker (the original) Nintendos pinnacle in terms of graphical prowness?

cireza

Twilight Princess was the biggest effort from Nintendo I believe. Wind Waker looks great no doubt.

Twilight Princess is actually a Nintendo game with textures. That's quite a feat, when you think about it.

Last edited:
Very few people thought it looked better great at the time... And I still wonder what they thought by not doing a twilight princess type first, I hate cell shading. I Hate this game too.

But if cell shading is your thing, sure this is great.

nkarafo

No, Mario Kart 8 is.

Especially the Ribbon Road track.

maxresdefault.jpg

Great colors.
Beautiful materials and shaders.
Great art direction.
No visual glitches, imperfections, jankiness.
60 fps.

Extra points if you play this game on Cemu @ 4k resolution + antialiasing/anisotropic filtering. That's some literal CGI movie right there.

Wind Waker looks nice and all but only artistically. Other than that, i don't think it's technically impressive. It's not even a 60fps game. Mario Kart 8 though, it has everything. It looks better than similar games in much more powerful consoles, like that Crash racing game on PS4.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

People who complain about Twilight Princess art style... Nintendo only did that with ONE fucking Zelda game.

How many of these artsy fartsy cell-shaded Zelda games have people had to endure? Like half a dozen or more.

So please shut up.

Honestly I wish it was more evenly divided, where we got a more "realistic" Zelda game maybe every other game or every other two games that were released.

Last edited:

Hudo

I think Nintendo are actually underrated in terms of graphics. Yes, they don't have raytracing, HDR and particle effects with billions of particles but the features they do use, they execute very well. Nintendo, like very few other developers in my opinion, get their basics right. BotW's engine is technically really solid and well written for what it does. Naughty Dog are another company that really have strong foundations in their engine as well. I also got that feeling from the Halo Infinite gameplay video (but I need to play it in order to be able to judge it better).
Ubisoft I would cite as a negative example of while their games look good and cutting edge, when you really look into them and take a look at certain details, one can see and feel that this is held together with duct tape and the effects are done on the cheap, like certain reflections cutting off, visibility of geometry not being handled cleanly, objects with transparency/alpha textures sometimes have the wrong order/lighting, etc. The small things that don't ruin the big picture but are there.
EA are weird in that regard. I find the Frostbite games by DICE are all quite well executed but as soon as another studio uses that engine, it apparently blows up. Worst offenders are the recent Need for Speed games that use Frostbite.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Nope. Have you played Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 or Rogue Squadron? And this on the Game Cube only

Fun fact: this gen had a lot of "watery" graphical games. Sonic Adventure, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Final Fantasy X...

Top Bottom