• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was I owned by an earwig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Docpan

I woke up this morning to find my hand feeling as if it was asleep. You know, that tingly feeling I'm sure you've all felt at one time or another.

Well, I shrugged it off and continued getting ready for the day. The tingly, numb sensation never went away.

I started freaking out, thinking I cut off my circulation so badly my arm was permanantly fucked. The entire day I thought there was no blood getting to it!

But this evening, the numbness slowly went away except for one spot between my thumb and index finger. It was swollen, and that gave it away that I didn't sleep on it wrong, but I was bitten!

Quickly I ran to my bed and pulled off all the sheets, finding nothing but a dead earwig on the center of the bed.

Do you think that the earwig (at least, I think it was an earwig) did this shit to me? I didn't even know they bit people... My hand is still a little numb, too...

I hate bugs... Disgusting things.

jenov4

Not sure if that was an earwig, but people who experience a heart attack also have that same tingly feeling.

Culex

Banned
Last I checked, earwigs don't have deadly neurotoxin spewing from them. You might have been bit by a spider or pinched a nerve.

Docpan

Well, I don't think I'm having a heart attack -_-

And I kind of ruled out the pinching of nerve possibility (swelling in one spot)

So that leaves the earwig or some other bug hiding in my bed somewhere.

Hawksley

Earwigs do bite if they're disturbed, and they do draw blood, but they have no toxin. Depending on what else they've been eating, you may have gotten some of that in you. The worst an earwig can do to a human on its own is "attack" you with a yecky smell.

Summed up: if it was the earwig that bit you, the reaction was from something left over from its previous meal. In others words, it's more likely that something else is causing this.

Was this the bug for sure? (Insect picture; squeamish beware!)

Docpan

My doctor is an hour away in a ghetto neighborhood. I can't stand going there if it isn't necessary.

If this numbing sensation persists I shall go...

All I was asking was if you guys knew if it was possible for earwigs to do this. I got my answer.

Vicious

Earwigs don't look like the friendliest insects around, but I was always told that they're not strong enough to even break the skin of a human.

yoshifumi

Banned
earwigs aren't strong enough to do any physical damage to a human, and as far as i know they aren't poisonous, so i think something else is probably to blame.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Tingling and numbness are signs of carpal tunnel, if it persists get it checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom