• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was David Cage the original Neil Druckmann?

Dorohedoro

I wanted something that offered more of an evolution than “You can prone now!”. Obviously being a bit facetious as they *did* add a bit more than that, but overall it felt incredibly generic and forgettable.

The gameplay was mostly the same with a couple new tricks that really didn’t add much to the experience. If you want a proper stealth game go play MGSV and the choices it offers as both a third person shooter and a stealth title. Hell, THIEF and THIEF II: The Metal Age offered more choice and complexity in its gameplay than TLOU1 or 2 did.
I think it's as much of an evolution as they could've made it for a direct sequel. Now for whatever brand new franchise they're cooking up I'd say it's fair to expect something new and different gameplay-wise.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Well they both certainly don't give a damn about gameplay. But Cage "In my games, all women are whores”, is the opposite of Cuckman on the woke-o-meter.

Lupin25

I wanted something that offered more of an evolution than “You can prone now!”. Obviously being a bit facetious as they *did* add a bit more than that, but overall it felt incredibly generic and forgettable.

The gameplay was mostly the same with a couple new tricks that really didn’t add much to the experience. If you want a proper stealth game go play MGSV and the choices it offers as both a third person shooter and a stealth title. Hell, THIEF and THIEF II: The Metal Age offered more choice and complexity in its gameplay than TLOU1 or 2 did.

I look it like this.

The combat, new enemies, animations, being able to use the environment to your advantage (zombies to kill enemies, hiding/killing under cars, etc.) & improved AI are all big differentiators in favor of TLOU2 > TLOU1 though.

And it’s not entirely a stealth game, it’s not always meant to be played as such. When you reach Abby’s section of the game for example, with a much bigger arsenal.

I look it like this.

The combat, new enemies, animations, being able to use the environment to your advantage (zombies to kill enemies, hiding/killing under cars, etc.) & improved AI are all big differentiators in favor of TLOU2 > TLOU1 though.
Yes, I am not saying that there isn’t new things that improve the gameplay in the sequel. Just that there was so very little there and it isn’t like TLOU1 had a lot of choice or complexity either. That game was also incredibly shallow.

And it’s not entirely a stealth game, it’s not always meant to be played as such. When you reach Abby’s section of the game for example, with a much bigger arsenal.
Again, MGSV.

Doom85

But Cage "In my games, all women are whores”

James Franco Reaction GIF

Am I remembering Cage games wrong? Because I remember his issue with female characters (not counting Detroit as I haven’t played that one yet) was that he seems weirdly obsessed with having each of them experience at least one near-rape experience.

I’m not saying he’s a creep, but after so many moments like that one can’t help but raise a concerned eyebrow at the guy. Like, yes, we get it, rape is bad and horrifying, but you do it too many times in your fiction and it comes off less as showing the horrors of the act and more like you‘re incapable of seeing women as anything but potential victims.

Whoever is giving money to David Cage needs to stop. My mind is still blown by that one ending of Detroit where Hilary Clinton implements robot concentration camps and then calls them off because she sees two robots kissing on the battlefield. The man lives in a cartoon world.

David Cage was just a pretentious asshole with no talent who was in the right moment at the right time when any idiot can enter the industry,

Neil Druckmann its just another pretentious asshole but the guy has talent, we are just tired he only talk of the Last of us like is the greatest game media piece ever, and remade it so many times (ps3, ps4, ps4 pro, Ps5 and now a tv series)

He is a good game director with some flaws but he really need to move on and his games are amazing

Toots

Gold Member
I think everyone talking about gameplay forget an important fact.
TLOU part 2 gameplay was a great improvement from the first but for that game Druckmann was only creative director, and there was not one but two other co-game directors.
I take it as Druckmann wrote the story with the "help" of Gross because she could not oppose anything he wanted like Straley did for the first one. He couldn't care less about any other aspect of the game so he let the two other guys create a enjoyable and playable experience from his script.
So Druckmann would only be responsible for the most controversial aspect of TLOU part 2 and would have nothing to do with the aspects (gameplay and visuals) everyone praised...

David Cage, on the contrary is the only director of his games (with an ego like his how could he be not?) so every failure is his, but every accomplishment too. In that he is better than Druckmann. P

Anyway if you're interested in Cage's life story, i cannot recommand you his biopic La Cage aux Folles enough.

ccp0QJAajx0YmGbSfv54pMPS22f.jpg

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well, both of them make games that I'm progressively less interested in as years go by because they seem to think that using non-interactive cutscenes is a better way to tell a story in an inherently interactive medium.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Hey GAF, a humorous thought came to me...was thinking that David Cage was the original Neil Druckmann in the sense that they want gaming to be like interactive movies and don't embrace gaminess in games and such. What say you GAF, do you think David Cage is the original Neil Druckmann?

What's happening with a certain percentage of this forum? Why are people getting so dumb these days that they're now making the point that TLOU2 is an interactive movie?

You mean Amy Henning's games?
She literally hasn't worked on a game since Uncharted 3 at Naughty Dog. Since then, The Last of Us, Left Behind, Factions, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us 2, etc - all noticeably not Hennig.

Since Uncharted 3, she's credited only with writing for Battlefield Hardline and Forspoken. Not to mention, her last big project - Star Wars - was canned.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Cage has more games under his belt Drunkmann did TLOU and took over with Uncharted 4 and TLOU2
he hasn't really done much imo

fart town usa

Gold Member
I think maybe a more accurate hot take is that Cage is the Molyneux that actually backed up the bulk of what he was hyping. Now, whether or not you like that type of gameplay, that's for each person to decide, but Cage didn't seem to be blowing too much smoke in terms of what he was trying to achieve. The first playthrough of Heavy Rain was awesome.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yeah, this is the most tortured comparison I've seen on NEOGAF this week. Anyone who thinks that a ND/ND game is on DC/Quantic Dream level of non-interactivity are absolutely full of it. TLOUII in particular has more than enough gameplay the meat on bone to justify the cinematic approach of the storytelling.

Like, just say you don't like cutscenes, without drawing out this ridiculous comparison.

Last edited:
Gotta love the hateboner some people have for a guy who constantly scores in the 90s in metacritic with his games.
I'm actually pretty amazed by it too. For a bunch of ppl who want "something different" They really hated when they killed off the main character of a series, something never really done in video games. Most video games have a "hero" and that hero always makes it to the end, its usually always a happy ending. I guess the lesson here is to always have a happy ending.

It's pretty shocking how personal ppl took it when the story didn't go the way they wanted it to. Would I have wanted Joel to live? Yea, of course. I would have preferred to play as him through the game. Did that make he HATE Neil and/or the game? No. In all honesty, it's their story. It's their characters. It's their IP... they can do what they want with it. You may not always agree with it, but that's what fan fiction is for LOL Y'all need to stop letting this man live rent free in your heads.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Well, both are pretentious as hell and their games are overrated as well.

you mad GIF

I'm actually pretty amazed by it too. For a bunch of ppl who want "something different" They really hated when they killed off the main character of a series, something never really done in video games. Most video games have a "hero" and that hero always makes it to the end, its usually always a happy ending. I guess the lesson here is to always have a happy ending.

It's pretty shocking how personal ppl took it when the story didn't go the way they wanted it to. Would I have wanted Joel to live? Yea, of course. I would have preferred to play as him through the game. Did that make he HATE Neil and/or the game? No. In all honesty, it's their story. It's their characters. It's their IP... they can do what they want with it. You may not always agree with it, but that's what fan fiction is for LOL Y'all need to stop letting this man live rent free in your heads.

It's because most of those people are liars. They don't want stuff that's different. They want everything to be made for them only. So whatever makes them happy was the right way to make a game. And if they don't enjoy it, it shouldn't have been made.

I thank both of these guys for bringing in more of these kinds of interactive narratives. While I'm not a fan of TLOU Part 1 Remake, I don't understand how people just think TLOU lacks gameplay, especially Part 2 when it has incredible level design, smarter AI and physics, and a lot of interaction in combat. The combat looks eons above most due to how arcade-y most games still feel. NPC's feel more believable and also interact with the environment semi-independently of the player.

Why can't a game focus on a strong narrative? Why can't there be room for different kinds of games? Right now, there is a renaissance of game-y games. Metroidvanias, Soulslikes, Roguelites/likes, side scrollers, online shooters, difficult platformers, strategy games, Beat Em Ups, etc. Why don't you go play those instead? You are finally being catered to and you still gripe.
Exactly, they hate Naughty Dog for any petty stupid reason they can conjure up.

Top Bottom