• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WarnerMedia’s Jason Kilar On New Structure, Layoffs & Future Of HBO Max, Theatrical Distribution & Linear TV

jimbojim

Banned
Instead, new man took over and now WB Games is under restructuring and will have further investments.

“I think their ceiling is so high, and I’m very, very much a believer in news and information around the globe,” he said. “And frankly, we have the best brand in the world in CNN when we look at website traffic and the power of the brand. Also, we have a very strong interactive team of about 2,000 software developers that tell interactive stories; the opportunity to go global with that is very, very big as well.”

Ehh...restructuring is code for layoffs and downsizing. Not always the case but majority of the time. Hopefully it turns out good. Selling the studios was gonna net the same result more or less with the other companies. Better than the alternatives.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We all knew this wasn't happening, MS buys small studios and puts them to work with big studio budgets, sometimes they get results but most the time this doesn't work
I'm actually sad for Ninja Theory because I know whats coming

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That doesn't mean anything. Only if AT&T say they aren't selling. Restructuring and daily business will still carry on until something is final. This doesn't mean they are not for sale.

Did any of you read it? All this article says is they are folding parts of the company under one label.
Exactly this! Reading is fundimental.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
That doesn't mean anything. Only if AT&T say they aren't selling. Restructuring and daily business will still carry on until something is final. This doesn't mean they are not for sale.

Did any of you read it? All this article says is they are folding parts of the company under one label.

He wouldn’t have gone on record with a quote specifically about WB games like that if they were thinking of selling.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Instead, new man took over and now WB Games is under restructuring and will have further investments.

There is NOTHING in that article relating to WB Games. The entire article is about TV and films and the little snippet you quoted is related to CNN not gaming.

"The expansion of HBO Max will be one part of the global growth plans. CNN also is envisioned as a key element of that, along with WarnerMedia’s interactive business, Kilar said, giving major props to the cable news network:

“I think their ceiling is so high, and I’m very, very much a believer in news and information around the globe,” he said. “And frankly, we have the best brand in the world in CNN when we look at website traffic and the power of the brand. Also, we have a very strong interactive team of about 2,000 software developers that tell interactive stories; the opportunity to go global with that is very, very big as well.”

FunkMiller

Gold Member
There is NOTHING in that article relating to WB Games. The entire article is about TV and films and the little snippet you quoted is related to CNN not gaming.

"The expansion of HBO Max will be one part of the global growth plans. CNN also is envisioned as a key element of that, along with WarnerMedia’s interactive business, Kilar said, giving major props to the cable news network:

“Also, we have a very strong interactive team of about 2,000 software developers that tell interactive stories“

...that sounds like he’s talking about video games to me, but you do you.

oldergamer

“Also, we have a very strong interactive team of about 2,000 software developers that tell interactive stories“

...and they do have that many devs. its a true statement, even if they were getting sold off eventually.

CatLady

He wouldn’t have gone on record with a quote specifically about WB games like that if they were thinking of selling.

What is the quote "specifically about WB Games"? I couldn't even find the words WB Games in the entire article but I might have missed it.

CatLady

No no those are the guys that make the animated movies.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

No both of the paragraphs I quoted are about CNN, NOT games or animated movies and he's talking about the software developers that create interactive features for CNN. things like:

And

and

No both of the paragraphs I quoted are about CNN, NOT games or animated movies and he's talking about the software developers that create interactive features for CNN. things like:

And

and
scoob.jpeg

The article itself talks about film alot. So only are they talking about what they do for CNN but their films as well. That's why I made that comment because it includes their animated films.

"software developers" != games developers

This article doesn't specifically mention the gaming division or games developers.

It's open for interpretation and isn't as clear cut as the title of this thread would suggest.

They talk about film alot so I assume they could be talking about their developers that make those films.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

This article doesn't specifically mention the gaming division or games developers.

It's open for interpretation and isn't as clear cut as the title of this thread would suggest.

CatLady

In that specific quote he's talking about software developers for the CNN website. That quote does not negate the possibility that WB Games may no longer be for sale. Nor does it confirm it.

WB Games may or may not be still be up for sale, at the moment it's not clear. What is clear, is the article used in the OP has NOTHING to do with whether on not WB Games is still for sale.

In that specific quote he's talking about software developers for the CNN website. That quote does not negate the possibility that WB Games may no longer be for sale. Nor does it confirm it.

WB Games may or may not be still be up for sale, at the moment it's not clear. What is clear, is the article used in the OP has NOTHING to do with whether on not WB Games is still for sale.

So maybe we should ask Mod of War Mod of War to either lock this thread or move it to another category if it isn't about gaming?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It was the ‘interactive stories’ bit that said it was video games to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

GHG

Gold Member
It was the ‘interactive stories’ bit that said it was video games to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interactive stories doesn't necessarily mean videogames.

It's not like the videogames industry is still some unknown niche industry. I think if he wanted to reference gaming then he would have said gaming at some point.

Interactive stories doesn't necessarily mean videogames.

It's not like the videogames industry is still some unknown niche industry. I think if he wanted to reference gaming then he would have said gaming at some point.

So interacting with the CNN website is considered interactive stories?

Just seems a bit weird to me.

CatLady

So interacting with the CNN website is considered interactive stories?

Just seems a bit weird to me.
Neither of which are interactive stories.

BUT! I don’t think we’ll reach much consensus here, so probably best to leave it at that.

I take it neither of you have ever heard the term "News Story" before. Unfuckingbelieveable you're still trying to beat this dead horse.

Last edited:

beni12

Neo Member
from the link
CNN also is envisioned as a key element of that, along with WarnerMedia’s interactive business
he is not just talking about CNN, There interactive business is called Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment or WB Games.

I take it neither of you have ever heard the term "News Story" before. Unfuckingbelieveable you're still trying to beat this dead horse.

Calm down you don't need to get upset over this.

And no I'm not posting the meme.

Also I never had an interaction with a news story before. It's why I find it odd.

Like I said, I don't think it's conclusive enough to run with the title this thread has.

I can definitely agree to that. I think the title is clickbait.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Someone with some fucking sense took over Warner. Good call.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Buying WB games wouldn’t change the complexion of gaming, companies like SONY and Nintendo are in good shape because they build AAA games

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Even if they are talking about WB Games...

.. why does this quote suggest they aren't for sale?

He's describing somethings opportunity for growth... and? Why would that mean they aren't selling it? He's bragging about it... which is what you'd do if it was for sale, or not.

Even if they are talking about WB Games...

.. why does this quote suggest they aren't for sale?

He's describing somethings opportunity for growth... and? Why would that mean they aren't selling it? He's bragging about it... which is what you'd do if it was for sale, or not.

I wouldn't sell something off that I would want to grow. Unless they plan to have some sort of connection after it's sold?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
We all knew this wasn't happening, MS buys small studios and puts them to work with big studio budgets, sometimes they get results but most the time this doesn't work
I'm actually sad for Ninja Theory because I know whats coming
Can you give me the lotto numbers please ?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wouldn't sell something off that I would want to grow. Unless they plan to have some sort of connection after it's sold?
I wouldn't want to buy something that didn't have growth potential. What exactly do you think they are telling perspective buyers if they are in fact in talks? That WB Games is stagnant?

And re-read the quote; he actually didn't personalize any desire to grow the company with his wording.

Top Bottom