• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. Reportedly Distancing Itself from Zack Snyder's 'Justice League'

ManaByte

Besides scrapping Batgirl — a movie directly connected to the SnyderVerse — Warner Bros. Discovery informed documentarist Leslie Iwerks that the only official version of Justice League was the one finished by Joss Whedon in 2017, not acknowledging the version released in 2021 completed by Snyder.

Iwerks is currently involved in developing a docuseries highlighting the extent of the DC universe in comics, movies, series, and everywhere else. So, it’s fair to assume the showrunner will cover the recent films made for the DCEU, including the ones directed by Snyder. However, as The Rolling Stone reveals, Iwerks was refused access to license clips from the 2021 Justice League, also known as The Snyder Cut. This is because Warner Bros. Discovery claims the only official version of Justice League was released in 2017.

Here comes the reboot with a reality show Superman competition.

Kev Kev

whats-going-on-the-office.gif

I'm usually the guy that likes movies and shows that everyone else hates, but even I can't get past all the weird decisions and mediocre output from WB as it relates to their superhero stuff.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I actually think this makes a Cavill/Affleck/Gadot/Mamoa led DCEU MORE likely. Because the Snyder cut and the Whedon version do differ a bit, particularly with an actual depiction of Darkseid, WB has to "pick one" if they have any intention of continuing that universe. If they were gonna flush it all it wouldn't matter, but if they plan on continuing JL stuff and (re)visit Darkseid in the future, then the Whedon verson gives them far more latitude.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The article says they picked the 2017 version.
Yeah, the version WITHOUT Darkseid (other than a quick name drop) so now they can reuse all that anti-life stuff and his presentation for a new film without having to reference a streaming only version for continuuity.

ManaByte

Yeah, the version WITHOUT Darkseid (other than a quick name drop) so now they can reuse all that anti-life stuff and his presentation for a new film without having to reference a streaming only version for continuuity.
Well they were going to make a New Gods movie, but since HBO Max released ZSJL with Darkseid in it, the movie was axxed:

"I just like DC Comics. I loved New Gods, which is the project that got axed," DuVernay recently explained. "The studio decided that they did not want to pursue a certain part of that comic world based on some things that were going on with another film in that world, so before I even was able to kind of complete my script with Tom King, they axed it."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's a rumor, we saw what they were worth this week.
And Snyder is back to be a guest on HQ season 3, so I call bullshit on this.

ManaByte

It's a rumor, we saw what they were worth this week.

And there are the talking points they're spamming social media with because they don't even read the damn text.

Leslie Iwerks makes award-winning documentaries such as The Pixar Story and more recently The Imagineering Story (series). She's the granddaughter of Ub Iwerks, Walt Disney's partner and co-creator of Mickey Mouse. She's making a DC documentary and wanted to use clips from ZSJL. WBD told her the only JL that exists is the 2017 one. That's not a rumor, it's what the documentarian making the DC documentary was told by the studio who owns the movies.

And Snyder is back to be a guest on HQ season 3, so I call bullshit on this.

Yea, I don't think his devotees will like that show much.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
And there are the talking points they're spamming social media with because they don't even read the damn text.

Leslie Iwerks makes award-winning documentaries such as The Pixar Story and more recently The Imagineering Story (series). She's the granddaughter of Ub Iwerks, Walt Disney's partner and co-creator of Mickey Mouse. She's making a DC documentary and wanted to use clips from ZSJL. WBD told her the only JL that exists is the 2017 one. That's not a rumor, it's what the documentarian making the DC documentary was told by the studio who owns the movies.
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Time will tell, I wont judge based on rumor.

Yea, I don't think his devotees will like that show much.
OH NO, THE HORROR, A JOKE!!! Seriously Manabyte, are you twelve? If you can't step back and laugh about it, you're stupid, that's it. And no matter the fandom, we all know there are stupid people everywhere.
And Snyder is a highly respected filmmaker who is universally recognized as a good guy.
What this rumor says makes no sense, but we'll see. If they do shit I won't give them my money, that's it.

ManaByte

Angry Harrison Ford GIF

Time will tell, I wont judge based on rumor.
What this rumor says makes no sense, but we'll see. If they do shit I won't give them my money, that's it.

So now a director being denied clips from a movie they wanted to use in a documentary is a "rumor", and being told WHY they couldn't use those clips in an officially sanctioned documentary is a rumor. Got it.

This comes from a Rolling Stone article about Batgirl's cancellation. Half of that Batgirls article is spent propping up their bullshit report about a"""""""significant"""""" number of Snyderbots and shitting on the Snyderverse.

In a telling sign of how far the studio is looking to distance itself from Snyder, a source says documentary filmmaker Leslie Iwerks recently asked to license clips from the 2021 Justice League for a film on the history of DC and was told there is only one Justice League: the 2017 incarnation.

"In a telling sign of" and "a source says" should not be used together. It's leading. Just like claiming 13% bots of significant when it's less than the average bot population as verified by independent research and less than a quarter of the link-sharing bot prevalence (Pew has some spectacular insight into this).
Then this snippet is reworded by another media outlet who presents it as fact, and so on.

Zaslav's new plan and the "we're not going to release a movie to make a quarter" quote from today are what's actually telling IMO. Both Justice Leauge ships have sailed.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well I mean ZS JL is just a side project, not the main deal. Lots of people around the world didn’t watch it so no shock.

LordCBH

Disappointing for me because I want to see where the Snyder verse would go. I loved man of steel, liked the ultimate cut of BvS, and greatly enjoyed ZSJL.

But if they can have a cohesive vision moving forward and some actual tangible goals for what they want to achieve, then it’s probably for the best. But I feel like completely rebooting the whole thing makes the most sense if they aren’t going to continue with the Snyder stuff.

kuncol02

Banned
whats-going-on-the-office.gif

I'm usually the guy that likes movies and shows that everyone else hates, but even I can't get past all the weird decisions and mediocre output from WB as it relates to their superhero stuff.
It almost looks like they are doing that on purpose. I refuse to believe that people can be on that level of incompetence.

Sybrix

The whole DCEU.... does it just boil down to DC characters just aren't very good compared to Marvel's roster?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good, he can start work on a new Conan movie!
Is Snyder attached to a project like that?

Hmmm, could be interesting. I bet he could even get Mamoa back since they seem to be on good terms.

I'm still pissed Red Nails never seemed to have happened. Conan should start hitting public domain in the next few years so we'll see.

Star-Lord

The only DCEU films I enjoyed were Snyder's, so it makes perfect sense that they're the ones being dropped by Warner. I honestly have no idea what they're up to lately. The studio has gone to utter shite.

Doom85

The whole DCEU.... does it just boil down to DC characters just aren't very good compared to Marvel's roster?

batman animated animation GIF by hoppip
superman GIF
bruce wayne curt geda GIF by Maudit

Justice League GIF by Warner Archive
teen titans GIF
Video Game Laughing GIF by DC
batman: the brave and the bold batman GIF
ZpZpTti.gif
Harley Quinn Goodbye GIF by DC

And let’s not forget their MASSIVE animated film library, sure some are weak or mid, but plenty of solid ones as well.

Meanwhile, the only Marvel cartoons most say hold up well are 90’s X-men cartoon, Spectacular Spider-man (90s is fine, but GEEZUS did Peter need to learn to stop talking nonstop. Man would get kicked out of a library in record time, and also the censorship of not letting him punch anyone was dumb), Avengers EMH, and film wise, most of their direct-to-video animated films were okay at best. Spider-verse was god tier of course.

And a good deal of DC live action films have been well received and done well in the BO. Just because the shared universe aspect hasn’t worked out isn’t an indication of quality. Most serious comic fans know DC characters have lasted decades for an obvious reason: they’re good. It’s just casuals who have only read a few comics and stick to just films who mistakenly think DC can only go good stuff with Batman and maybe Superman.

Hell, back in the early 2010s, some chucklefuck in charge at WB said Wonder Woman wouldn’t work as a film….and this was after her animated film from 2009 which was well received and did Diana’s origin and such in only 70 minutes, and obviously blockbuster films are usually at least 110 minutes so yeah this dipshit was talking out of his ass. And of course then her film came out in 2017 and was considered by many to be really good.

DC has been in the game for as long as they have for a reason. Underestimating them when they’re in the right hands is a fool’s game.

Sybrix

batman animated animation GIF by hoppip
superman GIF
bruce wayne curt geda GIF by Maudit

Justice League GIF by Warner Archive
teen titans GIF
Video Game Laughing GIF by DC
batman: the brave and the bold batman GIF
ZpZpTti.gif
Harley Quinn Goodbye GIF by DC

And let’s not forget their MASSIVE animated film library, sure some are weak or mid, but plenty of solid ones as well.

Meanwhile, the only Marvel cartoons most say hold up well are 90’s X-men cartoon, Spectacular Spider-man (90s is fine, but GEEZUS did Peter need to learn to stop talking nonstop. Man would get kicked out of a library in record time, and also the censorship of not letting him punch anyone was dumb), Avengers EMH, and film wise, most of their direct-to-video animated films were okay at best. Spider-verse was god tier of course.

And a good deal of DC live action films have been well received and done well in the BO. Just because the shared universe aspect hasn’t worked out isn’t an indication of quality. Most serious comic fans know DC characters have lasted decades for an obvious reason: they’re good. It’s just casuals who have only read a few comics and stick to just films who mistakenly think DC can only go good stuff with Batman and maybe Superman.

Hell, back in the early 2010s, some chucklefuck in charge at WB said Wonder Woman wouldn’t work as a film….and this was after her animated film from 2009 which was well received and did Diana’s origin and such in only 70 minutes, and obviously blockbuster films are usually at least 110 minutes so yeah this dipshit was talking out of his ass. And of course then her film came out in 2017 and was considered by many to be really good.

DC has been in the game for as long as they have for a reason. Underestimating them when they’re in the right hands is a fool’s game.

I'm not an expert on superhero media but from an outsider it baffles me how DC/WB can get it so wrong and Marvel/Disney get's it so right when it comes to their movies.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm not an expert on superhero media but from an outsider it baffles me how DC/WB can get it so wrong and Marvel/Disney get's it so right when it comes to their movies.

Former leadership were not interested in getting fans of the characters on their movies... Especially when they were about to be merged with AT&T. That's why JL 2017 was utter crap. Instead of delaying, they thought having Whedon redoing a big chunk of it was a good idea ... It's also why theatrical BvS was messed up

ahtlas7

Is Snyder attached to a project like that?

Hmmm, could be interesting. I bet he could even get Mamoa back since they seem to be on good terms.

I'm still pissed Red Nails never seemed to have happened. Conan should start hitting public domain in the next few years so we'll see.
I’m happy to start the rumor if it will get the project moving.
Mamoa the Conan? I think I like your idea.

Why are people fawning over Zack Snyder? He's a good action director, a divisive visual stylist, and a rambling yet shallow storyteller. He must be the nicest guy in the world because more talented directors have sacked faster way faster after just one single fuckup with way less money at stake, when it took three expensive duds to get this guy off his chair. He's best when he gets handed a simple story (300), rather than one that's complex or suppose to be (Watchmen, any DC thing he did).

I’m happy to start the rumor if it will get the project moving.
Mamoa the Conan? I think I like your idea.
Momoa already did Conan back in 2011 but it sucked. Don't think he'll go for it again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Scorched fucking earth baybee.

Start completely anew and don't rush to a team up movie immediately.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Mamoa was the best thing about Conan 2011, I think he fits it even better now.

Though TBH the Primal cartoon gives me about all the Conan/Hyboria/Savage Era fix I need.

ahtlas7

I wasn’t aware of this. Was this a B grade, low budget?
Why are people fawning over Zack Snyder? He's a good action director, a divisive visual stylist, and a rambling yet shallow storyteller. He must be the nicest guy in the world because more talented directors have sacked faster way faster after just one single fuckup with way less money at stake, when it took three expensive duds to get this guy off his chair. He's best when he gets handed a simple story (300), rather than one that's complex or suppose to be (Watchmen, any DC thing he did).

Momoa already did Conan back in 2011 but it sucked. Don't think he'll go for it again.
Zack was a good visual story teller. Of course there are better story tellers out there but I have, in the past, enjoyed his styling: 300, Sucker Punch, Legend of the Guardians. I fear each film has drained him of his creative vision and he may be done. However! I’m just curious what he could do in the world of Conan. Ok, without Momoa.

ManaByte

No, it was a $90M flop. But since he was Conan, Momoa let it go to his head so when Marvel cast him as Drax he demanded more money than anyone else in the cast so they dumped him for a professional wrestler.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No, it was a $90M flop. But since he was Conan, Momoa let it go to his head so when Marvel cast him as Drax he demanded more money than anyone else in the cast so they dumped him for a professional wrestler.
Which freed him up to be the lead in a BILLION dollar franchise with aquaman. I'd say he's doing OK :

Zack was a good visual story teller. Of course there are better story tellers out there but I have, in the past, enjoyed his styling: 300, Sucker Punch, Legend of the Guardians. I fear each film has drained him of his creative vision and he may be done. However! I’m just curious what he could do in the world of Conan. Ok, without Momoa.
There was a wave of musclebound gritty action fantasy coming out around that time, but this got lost in the shuffle (see also, Prince of Persia, John Carter, Clash of the Titans, Hercules, even Thor falls into this)

Hmm, I wouldn't mind if Snyder returned to the style of 300 for Conan. Personally I think they should have put him on a straight Dark Knight Returns movie, instead of the 5-in-1 mess that was Bat vs Supes.

Doom85

Personally I think they should have put him on a straight Dark Knight Returns movie, instead of the 5-in-1 mess that was Bat vs Supes.

Dark Knight Returns did already have a well done 2-part animated film. Plus part of the appeal of TDKR is seeing certain characters older, that would be lost with actors playing the roles for the first time IMHO.

But really, if we’re doing a “older DC heroes” movie, let’s do one that treats all the heroes, not just Batman, with respect when the time is finally right. And since it’s an Elseworlds story (essentially a one-off story outside of all continuities), they can mix/match casting with the film/TV continuities, and checking the actors’ ages they would all be on point enough for how old the characters are in this story (so for example Pattinson wouldn’t work as Batman here as he’d be too young still):

In 2042 (oh yeah, this will be a LONG payoff):

Henry Cavill as Superman
Ben Affleck as Batman
Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman
Zachary Levi as Shazam
Stephen Amell as Green Arrow
Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor

uF8VwT4.jpg

Warner Bros:

do it jewish GIF

Top Bottom