• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warlander |OT| Let The Body Parts Hit The Floor!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
logo_gif.gif

About:

Warlander is offering a souls-like experience unlike others on the market. It's not just a new coat of paint on the same old formula but an honest attempt at giving us something new to be excited about. Warlander blends together aspects of rogue-likes such as procedural map generation and perma death, sprinkles in rpg traits like the progression system and rounds it all off with tactical combat that just feels good. Oh yeah, it's also draws inspiration from Slay The Spire. Yes, the hit card game. And it works. Did I forget to mention the real time mesh slicing? Cleave your way through your enemies and collect their severed pieces after the fight to feed them to your god for more power!

Trailer:

Features:
  • UNIQUE COMBAT SYSTEM featuring skill-based fights with precise targeting and real-time mesh slicing.
  • PROCEDURALLY GENERATED MAP where every playthrough is different and every step on the path is unique.
  • INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENT is a battlefield and a weapon. Be observant, think on your feet and use the surroundings to crush your enemies.
  • PATH TO VENGEANCE IS DIFFICULT as the game becomes increasingly harder as you progress through the world, and your skills will be put to the limit.
  • LIFE HAS NO RERUN so act like it. Permadeath is real and even though the Old God resurrects you if you die, you start from the beginning.
  • SKILL TREE PROGRESSION is tied with the game world. Cut your enemies into offerings and sacrifice them to obtain access to different combat powers.

Gameplay:

Conclusion:
This game is a lot of fun and I honestly can't wait to play more. I don't usually gush about games like this but somehow I managed to not hear about this game until yesterday and thought it sounded amazing. Then I played it. That's when I knew it was amazing. You owe it to yourself to at least take a look at this one. There's something special here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a more in depth second Look:

Last edited:

oxrock

I've been playing the game a bit more and although I still enjoy it and think it's fun, I do see some issues that hopefully the devs address. They have stated that they'll keep working on it, so only time will tell.

Issues:
  • The game needs a sprint button or or some means of faster movement at least when out of combat.
  • Game is locked to 60 fps on the PC platform. That's always going to be an issue with me
  • There's no parry/chamber system. I've been trained by other games to do this intuitively but that has become a real detriment here
  • There are major mechanics that I feel warranted explaining in the tutorial.
  • There are honestly more bugs and refinements needed for this to have been a proper release as opposed to EA

That all said, I still enjoy the game and I'll still be playing it. When all is said and done, it's still a fun game with a lot of replayability at only $15. Sometimes I feel like people just expect too much for the purchase price.

Hmmmm....

I love the premise, big fan of the genres being mixed.

Steam reviews are all over the place. Only 13 bucks on Steam right now, hard not to jump in for that price and hope it gets polished up

oxrock

I've played the game a bit more and it's helped me see things a little more clearly. Here's what I've found:

Top Bottom