• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K Darktide big info dump

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Found this interview to be very informative. Game sounds like it is going to be incredible.

They sent me an email yesterday and Xbox is listed for the beta in the email and requested my gamertag etc XD
Good for you then, because my email read: "Best start clearing your calendar on the 14th - 16th of October! We’re opening the gates of Tertium for a Closed Beta Test on PC (Steam & Microsoft Store). So, if you haven’t already - fill out the form and you’ll get the chance to join in on the carnage."
The form hasn't been changed though, true.

anthony2690

Banned
Good for you then, because my email read: "Best start clearing your calendar on the 14th - 16th of October! We’re opening the gates of Tertium for a Closed Beta Test on PC (Steam & Microsoft Store). So, if you haven’t already - fill out the form and you’ll get the chance to join in on the carnage."
The form hasn't been changed though, true.
Oh yeah, so you're correct!
Qvo1Ddm.png
this is what I saw, when eagerly signing up haha
zXBSgNh.png

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Modern gaming is a joke isn't it?

The reason seems obvious to me, they have announced these social hubs of up to 20 players, rather than have it be Peer to Peer like Monster Hunter World (holds up to 16) they must be hosting these on dedicated servers themselves, meaning there's is a finite amount of 20 man hubs.

This sucks... for obvious reasons, and I am unsure how I feel about this when other titles have used P2P with 4 less players but still remain effective.

If they where 40-60 man hubs maybe I could start to see a reason where Peer 2 Peer would be ineffective for this use case, but with 20 you don't need to be 100% accurate because this is not a combat zone. As long as you have the information of what they look like and what they have equipped plus there general location and what there doing your allowed some delay here and just have players update each other as swiftly as there connection allows.

Queues have me worried :(

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
The reason seems obvious to me, they have announced these social hubs of up to 20 players, rather than have it be Peer to Peer like Monster Hunter World (holds up to 16) they must be hosting these on dedicated servers themselves, meaning there's is a finite amount of 20 man hubs.

This sucks... for obvious reasons, and I am unsure how I feel about this when other titles have used P2P with 4 less players but still remain effective.

If they where 40-60 man hubs maybe I could start to see a reason where Peer 2 Peer would be ineffective for this use case, but with 20 you don't need to be 100% accurate because this is not a combat zone. As long as you have the information of what they look like and what they have equipped plus there general location and what there doing your allowed some delay here and just have players update each other as swiftly as there connection allows.

Easy solution would be to make it so it works.

1x

Mephisto40

It makes you wonder why they give out so many beta codes just for people to have a bad experience sitting in queues for hours

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It makes you wonder why they give out so many beta codes just for people to have a bad experience sitting in queues for hours

Quote from the literal beta test video that is linked in the launcher and says "watch before you play"

"The reason for us running this, is to try out and stress test some of our server systems on the backend and all those techy bits"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

MarkyG

Just played the closed beta with a friend. Game looks amazing, both melee and gun combat felt very meaty and connected. The hordes are really well done too. As sprawling as the maps look, there are a lot of confined areas that just makes the carnage click beautifully.

Naturally, there were performance issues, as you'd expect (not final code or Game Ready Drivers). One major downer was we both had to play on controller, which sucked due to the lack of option to invert mouse aiming. Sounds trivial but It's like playing with your nose when you're used to inverted controls for 30+ years! Other than that, it was a blast!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Completed a full mission this morning and I loved it quite a bit. The vibe and aesthetic is absolutely on point. The music is really good as well. Visuals, controls, and audio are all really good. Played with mouse & keyboard with no issues. Only small qualm I noticed was a surprising dip in performance with RTX on, but I'm sure it'll improve. Felt unnecessary with a 3090. But turned it off, and it was buttery smooth with everything high on 1440. If you dug Vermintide, you will most certainly dig this. I was already looking forward to this, but now? Much more so.

GymWolf

Completed a full mission this morning and I loved it quite a bit. The vibe and aesthetic is absolutely on point. The music is really good as well. Visuals, controls, and audio are all really good. Played with mouse & keyboard with no issues. Only small qualm I noticed was a surprising dip in performance with RTX on, but I'm sure it'll improve. Felt unnecessary with a 3090. But turned it off, and it was buttery smooth with everything high on 1440. If you dug Vermintide, you will most certainly dig this. I was already looking forward to this, but now? Much more so.
That's less surprising than seeing a strip club scene in a seagal movie.

Only got a chance to play 1 mission on PC. Pretty awesome so far, very high quality in terms of production values. Wish I had a better GPU though runs a bit poorly cause my GPU sucks.

Just played a mission. Took about 30-40 minutes to do. Pure bliss. One thing though. I ran the game absolutely maxed out. Overclocked 12900KF, tuned 32GB of fast DDR4 and a OC'ed 4090 and this game can put the 4090 into submission LOL

Just like Vermintide 2, it's very CPU limited so adjust those decals and corpse quantity and time limit settings adequately. Also, lots of RTX effects. Reflection, lighting, etc. All of this made my system crawl into the low 30s / high 20s during some moments and that's with max settings, all cranked up, DLSS (what they call Super Resolution) set to quality. Basically, the more you advance and kill, the slower it gets until the decal / corpse limit / timer is reached out LOL

Put about 2 hours in, game defaulted to some terrible filters but once I turned them off it looked and ran better. I will be utilizing Game Pass for this for sure.

Arsic

Gold Member
Game gave me stiff nipples as a huge Warhammer 40K fan.

The music/sound is especially satisfying.

Zealot is a lot of fun. I want to try psyker too.

FunkMiller

Luetin has a gameplay vid up on YouTube now, for you fellow 40k fans. Visually it looks just like a hive city should.

Game is looking seriously good. Can’t wait to play it.

Mr.ODST

Graphics wise on a 3080 running at 120fps the game looks incredible, multiple missions in different areas also have that “woah this looks fucking awesome”

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Looks great, love the Vermintide series so I'm sure I'll love this when it comes to PS5, typically happens a year after PC/Xbox release.

Boneless

Just played a mission. Took about 30-40 minutes to do. Pure bliss. One thing though. I ran the game absolutely maxed out. Overclocked 12900KF, tuned 32GB of fast DDR4 and a OC'ed 4090 and this game can put the 4090 into submission LOL

Just like Vermintide 2, it's very CPU limited so adjust those decals and corpse quantity and time limit settings adequately. Also, lots of RTX effects. Reflection, lighting, etc. All of this made my system crawl into the low 30s / high 20s during some moments and that's with max settings, all cranked up, DLSS (what they call Super Resolution) set to quality. Basically, the more you advance and kill, the slower it gets until the decal / corpse limit / timer is reached out LOL

If a 4090 cant run this.maxed out at high FPS its a bit ridiculous tbh.

Last edited:
I have only played two games so far, thoroughly enjoyed both. Playing Ogryn.

Already ran into a Veteran never switching to melee and dying two minutes in to random mobs (in the lowest difficulty), and another one trying to melee... a kamikaze bomber that proceeded to blow up while I was shooting it. You can easily see who played Vermintide and who didn't...
Weapons-wise, I liked the knife's previous moveset better (cleave-cleave on heavy attacks), but looking at the club I understand why they changed it. I think I like said club better at the moment, although the low-level ones look pretty ugly; hopefully you can get ones that looks closer to what the Bullgryn minis wield, or the one on the official game's banner.
Ogryn guns are in a weird place. The starting "tube launcher" packs some good punch, but reloading feels too slow; it wasn't an issue with the blunderbuss in Vermintide due to a different melee/ranged balanced, but in this it's really annoying. And the ripper gun doesn't really have any punch at all sadly; sure, alt-fire is fun and you can mow down hordes pretty well, but that's not what I want to use my ranged weapon for. Also, I hate burst-fire.

Orbital2060

Uhm.. arent dedicated servers the right thing because of host migration in multiplayer games? Can you do that on peer to peer? I loved their previous Warhammer games but I experienced some times that the host would leave mid game and the game be aborted with a black screen and back to menus. Happened mid boss fights on higher difficulties a few times. And I think that was because of p2p and no host migration.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Uhm.. arent dedicated servers the right thing because of host migration in multiplayer games? Can you do that on peer to peer? I loved their previous Warhammer games but I experienced some times that the host would leave mid game and the game be aborted with a black screen and back to menus. Happened mid boss fights on higher difficulties a few times. And I think that was because of p2p and no host migration.

In Monster Hunter World if the lobby host left someone else just became the new host and no one can tell, honestly there's no reason you can't and any game with "host migration" allows for this because if they where dedicated servers then no one is the host to migrate from, it used to be pretty normal.

As far Darktide, I'm loving it. Rolled Ogryn and hit level 16, 3 bar difficulty is challenging and rewarding with almost constant specials attacking the party.

You can see the nods to vermintide with the way the enemies work and the game as a few problems like how the spotting seems to be super precise to use which is not great in a game where you are constantly under attack and trying to highlight a sniper with a few pixels poking out at the oposite side of the map.

Kinda wish the ogryn could pick up and hurl the explosive barrels, but with what is there so far it's bloody brilliant.

Last edited:
If a 4090 cant run this.maxed out at high FPS its a bit ridiculous tbh.

It's not 4090's fault, it's those sliders which are killing the FPS over time:

7epAXii.png

If you leave them at those settings (which are the settings for the highest graphics preset) then the game runs damn fine lol.

If you max them all the way to the right, your CPU is in for a bad time after a while ;)

I just uploaded a video of maxed out gameplay with the sliders set just like the image if you're interested. Video is still processing hd and 4K though.

Edit: Done processing now!

Last edited:
Top Bottom