• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Scirrocco

Apparently the Power Sword is now buyable on Steam, don't know about XBL or PSN. Still no Blood Ravens skin though. I think they're just taunting me.

Hopefully with some competent marketing that doesn't launch the game two weeks before the next Gears of War.

Well in their defense, they'd have been slaughtered if they waited any longer in 2011, and considering how long it took to get exterminatus out, they probably rushed it out to begin with. And unfortunately, due to THQ's financial situation, delaying it till 2012 was probably not possible. Releasing when they did was their only option, no matter how much it sucks.

Would also much prefer this, but I was under the impression we'd never see a Space Marine 2 as well.

Either way, as long as something comes, whether its the MMO or SM2, I'll be fine with that. Just hoping that we don't see the death of 40k franchise stuff altogether.

Sure about that? From what little we know its already sounding like another WoW clone. Two factions (eldar, imperial/ Chaos,orks), specifically choosing Black Templars as only chapter so they could be more melee focused.

Hopefully it will change, since Swtor already has the Sci-fi wow market locked down. Maybe a Planetside style Free to play could be somewhat profitable, but i don't know how true they could stay to Warhammer universe as a F2P. I'm not sure i'd want to see that just cause they slap Warhammer on it, and give everyone ridiculously huge armor.

Scirrocco

Also, I didn't see anyone mention it, so here's something interesting.

Theres a great bug which allows you use armor pieces from the unlockable and DLC armor sets on your customized characters. I've tested it, it works. Right now i'm rocking a blood ravens skin with the chest and armor of the Ultramarines champion, and a more custom emperors children armor.

http://www.spacemarine.com/gb/forums/topic/9654

Its pretty simple to do as well.

Sure about that?

It's 40k, I'd be on board.

Also, I didn't see anyone mention it, so here's something interesting.

Theres a great bug which allows you use armor pieces from the unlockable and DLC armor sets on your customized characters. I've tested it, it works. Right now i'm rocking a blood ravens skin with the chest and armor of the Ultramarines champion, and a more custom emperors children armor.

http://www.spacemarine.com/gb/forums/topic/9654

Its pretty simple to do as well.

:0

Can't wait to get home and try this.

Picked up the Legion of the Damned skin last night, hot damn!

Shame the skins are so expensive as I'd loved to have bought them all and swapped them around every few matches.

Been getting back to playing the Seize Ground mode again recently. Seems a lot more solid and I'm finding a lot more people playing in my region, so less lag, less switching hosts. Hit levrel 37 last night. Hoping I can get to level 41 as I'd love to have those final locked armour sets!

scitek

Wow, this game is fun at times (single player), but it has some of the most annoying mechanics ever, the most prominent being how you regain health. Why does he move so fucking slowly?

derFeef

Wow, this game is fun at times (single player), but it has some of the most annoying mechanics ever, the most prominent being how you regain health. Why does he move so fucking slowly?

The health mechanic is the heart of the game, it is so much fun.

scitek

I don't mind how you regain health, but is there a way to hurry it up? I mean, sitting there showing off in slow motion while being hit is annoying. I know it's all part of the timing of doing it, but it's senseless at times.

I have to say, I started this a few days ago, and I think it has one of the greatest intros to any game I've ever played. From the way the "Deploying Ultramarines" scene in space (which gave me major Alien(s) vibes to the "try to keep up" jump through explosions in the sky, all of it was very very strong indeed.

Little taste of the marvelous score that accompanies these scenes.

The prologue theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGNxebZXOxA&list=FLxVxDK55AKqdiBM0nuHff2w&index=6&feature=plpp_video

The "Try to keep up" jump theme(1:10 reminds me of the latest Star Trek movie!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx0riFXbLes&list=FLxVxDK55AKqdiBM0nuHff2w&index=5&feature=plpp_video

And the intro itself including the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qeNasdgBFU&list=FLxVxDK55AKqdiBM0nuHff2w&index=7&feature=plpp_video

If anyone is on the fence about getting this game, watch the intro and your mind will be decided. :)

Q8D3vil

this game have an amazing mechanics but it lack depth in the combat.

i hope they make another one where you can do crazy combo's or play with different characters that have different abilites (like dow series).

Hit level 39 over the weekend. Those level 41 armour sets are getting closer... <3

Still loving this one online (except for the lag and host migrations), but when it's working, it's glorious.

Ledsen

So I have a slow motion bug, which apparently is quite common. Basically the game goes into slow motion (=characters and animations are all slowed down significantly) but the framerate is still really high (like it should be on my GTX 560Ti). It makes the game unplayable when it happens, and it happens quite often. I read that turning off Vsync could help and it did, but not fully, and tearing burns my brain. D3D overrider doesn't help either. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Yuripaw

Banned
Does anyone happen to have a spare Elite Pass for the PS3 version of this game they'd be willing to part with?

I took a gamble in buying a used copy of this game today on PS3 (i already own it on steam, but my PC's video card is busted), and I lost. The elite pass code is already used, which I knew would be most likely. If I have to, I'll probably end up buying it for $10 off of PSN, but I figured I'd explore every other possibility before i leap into that.

Draft

Whoooooooooooooa, this game kicks ass.

I kind of enjoyed the Space Marine demo, and Relic's on my short list of competent devs, but passed on the full game. Relic's last character action console focused title was a piece of shit. I also have a weird quirk when it comes to some titles. Obviously the PC is the best platform and almost always runs games in a superior fashion compared to Xbox or PS3. But some titles seem to be built from the ground up to be played with a pad, on a sofa with a big screen (and yes, that can be done with a PC, but I'm not setup for it, so shut up.) This game screamed console so I mentally shelved it until a spot in the backlog opened up and Amazon had it for $15-20, whatever.

This past Friday I'm browsing some sales forum and someone posts about a THQ store sale. The store has Space Marine for $15. I had no qualms about buying it from THQs janky looking store because the game used Steamworks (turns out I should have had those qualms. the THQ store is awful. For about 30 minutes I was pretty convinced it had taken my $15 and wasn't going to send me the Steam code.)

I have an Xbox pad for the PC, but decided to try out Space Marine's mouse keyboard controls, and I'm glad I did. This is a no joke PC version. The interface is almost perfect and it controls awesome. Only once or twice did it feel like pad controls being shoehorned onto the mouse/keyboard (hitting enter after getting weapons, and the weird as hell QTE final boss fight.) It runs great, no crashes, no screen tearing, just flawless from start to finish.

The game is the bomb. I remember not being very enthusiastic about the demo combat. In fact I think I accused it of feeling "light." Well either they changed something or I was way off base, because everything about this game is heavy, especially the combat. Captain Titus is like this chainsaw covered seawall that the oceans of evil break against again and again and again. Hitting something with a giant hammer feels suitably meaty, Titus looks like he went swimming in blood after every fight, and there's even this awesome *clank-thud* noise every time he takes a step :lol Whoever did his voice is channeling Maximus the entire time and it sounds great.

The game really succeeds at making you feel like a Goddamn bad fuck monster. The health recovery thing is kind of weird but works great in the game system. It's not easy (I was actually dying a lot, usually to frustrating shit like snipers), but you never feel weak either.

On that note, the only really shitty thing are some of the checkpoints. No cutscenes after checkpoints!

I even played a little multi, which seems kind of cool. Lot of host migrating in the matches I played, though.

This game is the shit. I'd buy a sequel day one, and will happily go with the PC version. Space Marine may have been born on the Xbox, but it clearly belongs on the PC.

ced

Found this for the 360 for really cheap new, I wasn't grabbed by the demo back then, but this game is pretty damn fun.

I love the visuals too, and it runs so smooth, something I'm just not used to when it comes to games recently.

The melee combat needs some serious depth though, soon as you have to recover health it just turns into stun/execute over and over again until most are dead.

Scirrocco

Looks like we might be getting something new sooner then we thought.

It seems Activisions realized they don't have the resources for an MMO, and are going to be ditching the format.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/29/t...er-40k-mmo-dark-millenium-goes-single-player/

No word on what the new format is, but hopefully it'll be more "Space Marine" and less "World of Warcraft". If they just remade space marine and included Eldar and orks, both supposedly playable races in the mmo, it would be nearly perfect.

DeVeAn

So picked this up and I am enjoying the game. Runs 1080 @60fps. I noticed after prolonged play the framerate starts to drop and stays dropped. I have to reboot the game to get it back at 60fps. Is this some kind of bug?

BHK3

Banned
Picked this up, I love it. But it's probably the most underwhelming game ever.
I kinda felt halfway through the game that the desert/big beige areas was all I was ever gonna see from the game, and I was right.

You move a little too slow for my liking and the multiplayer is just a mess, I might pick the DLC up soon so I can play more horde which is just a blast.

Picked this game up and it's been fucking amazing so far. I'm amazed that I can still find a full online game whenever I want. Some days I'll start in a full game and some days I'll start in a half-full game, but it'll either fill up or I can find a different game that is full, within 30 minutes. Of course, the half-full games are kinda fun too. Does anyone still play on PS3?

Rattles

Picked this game up and it's been fucking amazing so far. I'm amazed that I can still find a full online game whenever I want. Some days I'll start in a full game and some days I'll start in a half-full game, but it'll either fill up or I can find a different game that is full, within 30 minutes. Of course, the half-full games are kinda fun too. Does anyone still play on PS3?

I picked it up afew days ago, My ping is always in the red though :/ So haven't played much online.

witness

Bought this over the weekend and I love it. Its so good. I love just how brutal and intense it is. There's a lot of great animations in there. All things I expect from a Relic game. I just can't believe how many orks they can get on screen without it hurting the frame rate. Really impressive.

I also played quite a bit of multiplayer and I was happy to see I could find games immediately. My favorite mode is of course the horde mode, it really is excellent. I do wish the games were shorter, I think ME3 really got that right with their mode taking right around 20 minutes to get through.

Really is a very very good game, as someone who's never been into Warhammer, its a pretty awesome universe.

Jinaar

Glad people are still playing. I played the literal shiiit out of the 360 version and just went back to the PC this weekend. Went from level 8 in MP to 35 I believe currently. I had the terrible NVidia Slowdown effect which I resolved by disabling VSYNC in the game and in the NVIDIA Control Panel, as well as any other options I could in the game. Works like a charm now. Waiting for a sale to get the Dreadnaught DLC.... hopefully soon.

I've been playing through the campaign today and I've been having a lot of fun but I've been dying a lot more in this game than I would have expected. Am I doing something wrong? I find myself in the situation my shield is depleted and I have to stun kill ever orc to stay a live and sometimes the damage I'm taking while in the kill animation is just too much. I'm not using the fury or grenades as often as I could, I guess. I'm usually decent at games but I feel like I'm sucking it up pretty bad right now.

Also picked this up on the PS+ freebie option. I had played the demo awhile back, and just forgot about it. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the campaign, and then I'm planning to start some multiplayer. Does anyone still play on the PS3? I assume there will be a decent amount of new people just from the PS+ promotion.

Scirrocco

Hows the Xbox live community? Can you still find games? I recently got a xbl renewal but i'm not sure i should use it yet, but i did love this games online. Think its worth it?

THANK YOU Amazon for my Kindle Fire and this DAMN ENJOYABLE VIDEO GAME!!!

When this game originally came out I wasn't really feeling the PS3 demo that much, but man...two hours into the game on the PC...one of the best "video gamey" shooters I've played.

Loving the sheer carnage.

I just died for the 5th time on the part where the Space Marines are riding the train and you have this blaster that you take off it's mount and try to shoot down this flying ship overhead. INTENSE.

love it. Surpassing Space Hulk as my favorite 40k video game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Re-bought the game for $10 on Xbox at Best Buy. Online is still pretty active, had no problem finding a game whatsoever.

Just playing this now on 360. About 80% through campaign on hard. What a blast. Looks sensational, plays like a dream. Why didn't somebody tell me?!?

Tizoc

So I finally started this game after it being in my backlog for...I dunno 6+ months?
Oly made it to chapter 2, but am enjoying it so far. Does the combat get better eventually? My main joy in this game is me slaughtering dozens of Orks...WITH A FRIGGIN' CHAINSAW SWORD!

Scirrocco

So I finally started this game after it being in my backlog for...I dunno 6+ months?
Oly made it to chapter 2, but am enjoying it so far. Does the combat get better eventually? My main joy in this game is me slaughtering dozens of Orks...WITH A FRIGGIN' CHAINSAW SWORD!

It gets a little bit better. Soon you're going to get a jet pack, and that will be al kinds of awesome. But its only a few small parts. I think you also have the rage ability to get soon, and a bunch of different guns. Those change things up some. But mostly the combat isn't that different from beginning to end.

TaroYamada

Multi is still active, horde mode is f'ing FANTASTIC. Not to sure about the rest, the jump pack guys kind of make it hard to use some classes because they can pop up behind you, love horde mode though.

I will say that this game is a case example of how hurtful multiplayer DLC is. The community is very small on PC as it is, often matchmaking at best finds 4 matches for horde. They ought to just release the multiplayer DLC for free at this point so they don't splinter the already small community.

Singleplayer is solid; about 20-30 minutes in, linear, lacks color but combat is great.

Tizoc

If I had played this back in 2011, I would've ranked it as among my GotY, the basic combat is fun primarely due to the fact that you're kicking ass as an effin' SPACE MARINE.

One thing though; I've been thinking of getting the PC ver. off Steam (to support THQ), but how's the online community for that game? Is it still active? As much as I liked the single player mode, for some reason I was more comfortable playing it on PS3.
Could someone post images of the PC ver. at high resolution etc. please?

EDIT: Oh PC community is low atm huh?

Top Bottom