• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

I started this recently and I'm loving SP so far (thanks to the $10 deal at Best Buy this week w/ @Gamer coupon). Yes, it feels like Gears of War without the cover system but Captain Titus is so much smarter. He's like Liam Neeson with a gun (which may be a put-down for Warhammer 40K fans, sorry about that).

I think Liam would make a good Astartes if he got genhanced. Then people REALLY wouldn't steal his daughter.

I really liked this game. I think the melee combat needs to be improved because the flaws start to become apparent as the difficulty increases towards the end of the game. Or maybe the amount of damage certain enemies do should be adjusted.

Either way I hope Relic makes another one of these some time in the future.

derFeef

I really liked this game. I think the melee combat needs to be improved because the flaws start to become apparent as the difficulty increases towards the end of the game. Or maybe the amount of damage certain enemies do should be adjusted.

Either way I hope Relic makes another one of these some time in the future.

I agree. The game almost switched from melee to ranged compat completely when Chaos showed up. And the ranged guys really were powerful and did a little bit too much damage in my opinion.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'd like them to make it more Darksiders-y in the future. Or more strict RPGish.

I'm just worried that adding more depth to the characters features will ruin the fun of the combat

derFeef

I'd like them to make it more Darksiders-y in the future. Or more strict RPGish.

I'm just worried that adding more depth to the characters features will ruin the fun of the combat

relic is now helping out with DMO, so I hope we get some good combat in a MMO for once :)

Maybe if they go for a different class type or something and you play as a Librarian in another game, I dunno. For Space Marine though, the combat is fucking perfect. This game is everything I wanted from a WH40k action title, just like Dawn of War 1 and 2 were perfect WH40k RTS games.

I got this game about two months ago and finally decided to bust open the shrink wrap and dick around. Noticed the game came with an Elite Pass Code and upon entering it on the PSN redeem code section it said the shit was invalid. Grrr.

Lan_97

Just finished this game last night. Really fun game. The blend of shooting and melee combat is great and only really falls apart near the end where more enemies are better dispatched with ranged weapons.

The environments are unfortunately very similar to each other, but what is there is interesting to look at. Not being very familiar with the 40k universe, there were enough details to engage me and keep me interested. I also love how heavy the marines feel when moving.

Multiplayer was surprisingly fun and horde mode has been a great addition.

It's really too bad there are no immediate plans to continue this series.

Slermy

I haven't downloaded it yet, but the CTF stuff showed up for free the last time I checked. I believe the Dreadnaught DLC is due out within a month. I want to say I read "24th of January" somewhere, but I could very well be making that up.

Chaos Exterminatus is paid content (and in fairness, its amazing - its all I've been playing now).

Ahhh, forgot about that Dreadnaught screenshot a while back, didn't think anything had been confirmed though! So hopefully that patch last night was it. Awesome.

ArjanN

Anyone know what that 965MB patch I got prompted to update last night was for?

More DLC inbound?

Official announcement here:

http://www.spacemarine.com/blog-post/dreadnoughts-coming-warhammer-40000-space-marine

THQ Inc. today announced the second downloadable content pack for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is scheduled to release for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Playstation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC on 24th January (US) / 25th January (EU).
The premium add-on pack called The Dreadnought, adds a new multiplayer mode called Dreadnought Assault where both teams battle to capture a central location on the map and the winners spawn a player controlled Dreadnought. The Dreadnought is armed with an Assault Cannon / Auto Cannon, a Meltagun and a Power Fist / Power Claw and must capture points across the map to score points for their team. Once the Dreadnought is destroyed a new spawn point will appear.

The Dreadnought DLC also includes three new multiplayer maps Desolation, Dome Mechanicus and Chem Refinery, as well as new achievements / trophies and has a suggested cost of 800 Microsoft Points / US$9.99.

In addition to the premium add-on content all players of Space Marine will receive a new multiplayer Capture and Control Mode for free. Playable on all the game’s multiplayer maps, this team based mode challenges players to capture and defend locations around the map to score points.

I bought two games after xmas; Saint's Row The Third and Space Marine. I put in Space Marine and played for about two hours. I got to where you need to put bombs in the loading missile bays to blow up the massive canon.

I stopped there, because I wasn't really feeling it. It felt very repetitive up until that point, just cutting up the same orks over and over again, a new weapon here and there, etc. I put in Saint's Row The Third, and never looked back.

Does the game get better the more you go into it? Do you go to other worlds, fighting different enemies? Do you learn new moves? What do I have to look forward to?

I know very little about the 40,000 universe, so that might be dampening my enthusiasm a bit. But I WANT to like it more.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I bought two games after xmas; Saint's Row The Third and Space Marine. I put in Space Marine and played for about two hours. I got to where you need to put bombs in the loading missile bays to blow up the massive canon.

I stopped there, because I wasn't really feeling it. It felt very repetitive up until that point, just cutting up the same orks over and over again, a new weapon here and there, etc. I put in Saint's Row The Third, and never looked back.

Does the game get better the more you go into it? Do you go to other worlds, fighting different enemies? Do you learn new moves? What do I have to look forward to?

I know very little about the 40,000 universe, so that might be dampening my enthusiasm a bit. But I WANT to like it more.

Once you get jetpack and thunderhammer your doubts will be erased by the emperors holy light.
I think the fun in this game is mostly created by the player. If you always stay in the back and shoot orks, it gets pretty boring. But if you just play it like the badass you are (on hard of course!) it gets mad fun. You get new weapons and they are constantly sending new varieties of (the same) enemies to eat your face.
You won't visit other planets but I think more than the enviroment, the architecture of this game is amazing.

If you want to learn more about Warhammer 40k (and you friggin should!) read the Warhammer 40k Lexicanum (Google) entries on The Imperium of Mankind, the Orks and Chaos. You will like the game even more ;-)

Zimbardo

i just started playing this game yesterday on pc and was disappointed with its performance ...its kinda fucked.

first, the game didn't play nice with SLI so i turned that off.

then the game seemed to have a shuddering framerate at times ...but sometimes, if you replayed the same section of the game, that spot where you noticed performance loss before would now be alright. also turning down detail and resolution didn't help at all to fix this.

then i also noticed that my character would sometimes move in slow motion while running. like he could be running at a normal rate, then all of a sudden its like he's running through molasses. happens every once in a while and lasts for 2 seconds or so. kind of annoying.

i've noticed that it seems quite a few people have these kinds of issues on the Space Marine forums and Steam forums.

some say that it started happening after one of the update patches.

it bugs me because when i played the demo a few months ago, i didn't have any noticeable issues with the game ...now when i finally get around to buying it, its screwed up.

i tried a few supposed fixes ...reinstalled directX and c++ redistributable package that came with Space Marine and my framerate seems better ...unless that's placebo ...but my character still runs in slow motion from time to time.

More different kinds of orks, the ones with the shields are most awesome to brutal-finish :D then later on you get to fight against demons and chaosmarines.

The variety of moves comes from choosing what weapons you want to use, some will be unlocked along the way such as the hammer and axe etc. And of course, play on hard.

More different kinds of orks, the ones with the shields are most awesome to brutal-finish :D then later on you get to fight against demons and chaosmarines.

The variety of moves comes from choosing what weapons you want to use, some will be unlocked along the way such as the hammer and axe etc. And of course, play on hard.

Okay, I'll try and give it another go this weekend!

derFeef

Player controllable Dreadnought? Fuck. Yes.

A shame that it's build around a multiplayer mode. Will wait for impressions before I buy it. None of my friends is interested in this game anymore because of the weak multiplayer (ymmv), and have not played Exterminatus since it came out :/

Aaron

A shame that it's build around a multiplayer mode. Will wait for impressions before I buy it. None of my friends is interested in this game anymore because of the weak multiplayer (ymmv), and have not played Exterminatus since it came out :/
Exterminatus is the only reason to play multiplayer. It's huge fun, but hard to find a game.

Slermy

Anyone else have troubles last night after the new patch? My friends and I couldn't play the competitive online modes because it kept dumping us into matches with DLC maps even though we chose "classic" maps only.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think it just tries to place you into the nearest open match if it can't find something that fits your parameters. Which would explain why I always get dumped into Annihilation when I ask for Seize Ground.

grendelrt

Grar!

63FAC70E6E3749FE1475345E64CE3B978B598493

16A671F9290C206114A0A82942CDD5D04CC1AEA8

Jinaar

Some of the new Maps are just vast and excellent, really setting themselves up for the DreadNoughting to be had. Having the DreadNought though is not always beneficial. You have to cap and cap alot of points, because bringing down a Dready is 3points for the opposition. Really like that. Have a few Lascannon peeps hitting it from afar, it can become very dead very fast.

Being the Dreadnought though is amazing. It just devastates everything and you will get Grudge Kills. The first time I was a Dread, I got 3 Grudge Kills(15 kills, 5 on 3 guys each) and the 2nd time I was a Dread, I got 2 Grudge Kills. Really helps with the Challenge of getting Grudges.

The new skins are amazing. $3 is a lot of money for a skin but damn.... DAMN are they great. I am a DLC WH40K whore and I spend with a desire to be more then I am! I have no shame.

Melta gun in MP/Exterminatus has been beefed up so now it really has a tad more range but its spread is now way more impressive in large packs of meaty orcs/Infantry. So good....

One grenade now equipped on spawning on 360! Love that. Way more balancing that way.

DICE net code though, still shit. I would buy DLC just for new net code. DICE's team of networking people need help, like a senior guy to make it work and make it work right. At the moment and since launch, it has the worst hosting. 8 people in a game from North America.... lets make the guy from Australia the host! He has full bars, everyone has 1 red bar. FUUUUUU!

Love this game so much, just just just just just dat net code! I'm paying for the bending of my person over.

Thinking about picking this up, but wondering what community is more active PS3 v 360? Also, any graphical differences? Lens of Truth I think said PS3. (It's too late to get into a fanboy war, right?)

Took about 20-25 games for me to finally get a run in the Dreadnought today.

Instant ~8000 points haha..

Totally god mode and I love it.

I feel like I'm the only fuckin' Aussie playing the game though. Sucks. Every game is packed in Dreadnought mode and its all the American crews on the mics. I'm usually the only one with max lag, while everyone else is full or one down green. Makes it so tough sometimes, especially in classes like the Tac. Even tried going no mic, but that changes nothing. And I've been booted a few times again today when it migrated hosts. Totally breaks the experience. Relic, I wish you'd given us some dedicated servers!!!

Anyway, rant over. Any Aussies on PSN that grabbed it, add me. Please. 'MarvelScottyB'.

Scirrocco

Relic split the player base again. I can not believe it. Probably going to skip the new DLC because of it, but might pick up some of the new skins. They are pretty well done.

Anybody else still play on Xbox? Look me up online. My live Id should be in my info.

Jinaar

Playing on 360.

I will say this, Relic has the worst way of hosting games. Playing any Dreadnought game, you spend more time watching "MIGRATING TO NEW HOST" screen then actually playing. Constantly, you are moving from host to host, pings are dropping, nothing is getting done, no fun, then the game crashes and you break the disc.

As much as I love this game and Relic, Multiplayer netcode is really a shit cyclone causing massive destruction over the shit fields of feces. It is broken, useless, destroys gameplay, kills any desire to continue playing for any amount of time past 2 minutes into a game and gets worst and never better.

There will never be an official response on this from Relic, but I hope they read this and other posts from forums that have the same experiences. They killed their own game.

Playing on 360.

I will say this, Relic has the worst way of hosting games. Playing any Dreadnought game, you spend more time watching "MIGRATING TO NEW HOST" screen then actually playing. Constantly, you are moving from host to host, pings are dropping, nothing is getting done, no fun, then the game crashes and you break the disc.

As much as I love this game and Relic, Multiplayer netcode is really a shit cyclone causing massive destruction over the shit fields of feces. It is broken, useless, destroys gameplay, kills any desire to continue playing for any amount of time past 2 minutes into a game and gets worst and never better.

There will never be an official response on this from Relic, but I hope they read this and other posts from forums that have the same experiences. They killed their own game.

I'm too big a fan of 40K and the game itself to say they've "killed" it for me, but I agree with you completely, the netcode, the configuration, the lack of servers etc.. It's appalling. And you can easily see why the MP becomes a wasteland of "Games Found: 0".

I'll put up with it though.

daedalius

So how long does it take to get into a Dreadnought or CTF game?

Also, what is new and special about the Chaos exterminatus?

What platform?

I can only speak for PS3..

Dreadnought games are a dime-a-dozen at the moment. Pretty much jump straight in. I've still not been able to try the CTF mode though, every time I search, it's "0 games found".

Chaos Exterminatus is like the regular mode, buy you're Chaos - and you face waves of Orks + Imperial Guard and Space Marines. It's a lot more varied and more hectic.

I'm on 360.

So how long does it take to get into a Dreadnought or CTF game?

Also, what is new and special about the Chaos exterminatus?

What platform?

I can only speak for PS3..

Dreadnought games are a dime-a-dozen at the moment. Pretty much jump straight in. I've still not been able to try the CTF mode though, every time I search, it's "0 games found".

Chaos Exterminatus is like the regular mode, buy you're Chaos - and you face waves of Orks + Imperial Guard and Space Marines. It's a lot more varied and more hectic.

Q8D3vil

bought pc version thanks to steam sale.
if only this game had a deep combo's like some other games (dmc and bayo) or some character variation like DOW2 it woukld have been amazing instead of mediocre.

the engine is excellent and runs extremely well on my pc.

So I just finished this games SP Campaign one thing gets me tho..

Was the Ork invasion just a coincidence? Or did the agent of choas orchestrate it...doesnt really make sense to me as the inquisitor was killed DURING the invasion and the demon was unable to get to the power source with the orks in the way hence why he used the ultramarines...is it me or has the plot got more holes than swiss cheese.

Mdk7

Just beat the game and really had good, honest fun with it.
Seriously, it SUCKS we'll never get a sequel... The plot was starting to become veeery interesting (leaving room for some cool situations for the future), and i'd definitely want more of this charming blend of shooting & combat.

Seriously, what a pity. :(

Tokubetsu

Just beat the game and really had good, honest fun with it.
Seriously, it SUCKS we'll never get a sequel... The plot was starting to become veeery interesting (leaving room for some cool situations for the future), and i'd definitely want more of this charming blend of shooting & combat.

Seriously, what a pity. :(

Impression I got from all that THQ restructuring news was that a Warhammer sequel is back on the table. Just not anytime "real" soon.

daedalius

Impression I got from all that THQ restructuring news was that a Warhammer sequel is back on the table. Just not anytime "real" soon.

Really?

Sounded to me like they just weren't sure if they could bring the 40k MMO to the market.

I'd love to see Space Marine 2 rather than a 40k MMO. Space Marine 2 with tons of worlds and vehicles please.

JdFoX187

Banned
Really?

Sounded to me like they just weren't sure if they could bring the 40k MMO to the market.

I'd love to see Space Marine 2 rather than a 40k MMO. Space Marine 2 with tons of worlds and vehicles please.

Hopefully with some competent marketing that doesn't launch the game two weeks before the next Gears of War.

Would also much prefer this, but I was under the impression we'd never see a Space Marine 2 as well.

Either way, as long as something comes, whether its the MMO or SM2, I'll be fine with that. Just hoping that we don't see the death of 40k franchise stuff altogether.

Top Bottom