• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
NullPointer said:
Unless I'm missing something. Is anybody able to get far into Exterminatus with less than four players? For my attempt last night it was me, at 3rd level and a friend at 5th level. We got smoked in the third wave every time.
Well, not only are you seriously gimped by not having any weapon perks (only available through Competitive, stupidly enough), and the second perk slot unlocked (level 12 I believe), I don't think it's possible to finish Exterminatus with less than 4. There are some stages later on that require you to activate multiple control points at once, and unless they scale objectives with the number of players (which I doubt), it is probably not possible to do in the time required.

Svartnatt

NullPointer said:
Unless I'm missing something. Is anybody able to get far into Exterminatus with less than four players? For my attempt last night it was me, at 3rd level and a friend at 5th level. We got smoked in the third wave every time.

I've only played Exterminatus 3 times so far, so I'm speaking from limited experience, but one of those playthroughs was from wave 1 up to wave 18, and another was from wave 17 through to finishing it, so I think I can give a pretty good answer.

I think it would be next to impossible finishing Exterminatus with only 2 low level players. There is a wave near the end that requires capturing of 3 points in limited time, so you can do the math here.

Also the perks gained through leveling up and weapon perks are pretty important. Orks soak up much more damage than they do in the single player campaign, and every advantage you can gain helps.

I think 3 players minimum would be needed to finish, and even then you should probably have a balanced group.

Besides, if you could finish Exterminatus with 2 players at low level, what incentive would there be to keep playing it? It's tough enough with 4 high level players...

Svartnatt said:
Besides, if you could finish Exterminatus with 2 players at low level, what incentive would there be to keep playing it? It's tough enough with 4 high level players...
I remember from the reveal video that Exterminatus was another mode to gain XP and unlocks. As someone who prefers to play co-op over versus I figured this would be a good mode for me and my 40K loving buddy to play for kicks. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

This is more like end-game content for a full squad of hardcore versus players. If you don't do a lot of versus, or don't have three other friends you want to play this game with, its not a mode worth even trying. Thats an extremely narrow focus, disappointing, and unlike just about every other horde-mode out there.

Lyphen said:
Well, not only are you seriously gimped by not having any weapon perks (only available through Competitive, stupidly enough), and the second perk slot unlocked (level 12 I believe), I don't think it's possible to finish Exterminatus with less than 4. There are some stages later on that require you to activate multiple control points at once, and unless they scale objectives with the number of players (which I doubt), it is probably not possible to do in the time required.

Yep...been to wave 19 with three level 40s.

I do not believe it's possible to complete 20 waves with less than four players.

Svartnatt

NullPointer said:
I remember from the reveal video that Exterminatus was another mode to gain XP and unlocks. As someone who prefers to play co-op over versus I figured this would be a good mode for me and my 40K loving buddy to play for kicks. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

This is more like end-game content for a full squad of hardcore versus players. If you don't do a lot of versus, or don't have three other friends you want to play this game with, its not a mode worth even trying. Thats an extremely narrow focus, disappointing, and unlike just about every other horde-mode out there.

Not sure about the unlocks, but I do think it is a good way to gain XP.

Vs. multiplayer can give you varying amounts of XP per game, anything from just a few hundred if you don't do much, to maybe a few thousand if your team wins and you got some good kills in.

Playing a few waves of Exterminatus will give you several thousand XP as well. Don't think these kills will count toward the specific weapon and armor perks, but they will help you level up.

If you happen to jump into a game where you are low level and the other 3 are high levels, you can go a long for the ride, help out where you can, and earn some good XP. After all, a fully charged plasma cannon shot should do the same amount of damage whether it's coming from a level 1 player or a level 41 player, as the perks for the plasma cannon have nothing to do with damage output.

If you play with a group of friends and start at low level, part of the fun should be seeing the progression you make with how long you can survive. Like you said, 2 of you at low level survived to wave 3. Add a few more friends, you'll survive longer. Level up, you'll last longer again. That's part of the appeal, if you ask me.

Jinaar

Last night we finally got 4 friends together for a round in EXTERMINATUS. Little did we know that we would get to wave 21 and somehow, beyond all odds, stand victorious, all 4 of us. Lineup was:

Assault Marine + Hammer (7 Deaths - 1st in Kills)
Assault Marine + Axe (5 Deaths - 3rd in Kills)
Devastator + Heavy Bolter (4 Deaths - 4th in Kills)
Devastator + Plasma Cannon (meeeeee) (2 Deaths - 2nd in Kills)

The Chaos wave was really intense. It would be nice if they can mix up one of the Space Marine Exterminatus modes to have a more Chaso and Ork then just that one wave of Chaos.

Regardless, damn this game is always fun. :)

I've finally got the time to play and finish the single player .

My impressions:

• fun game indeed and great atmosphere
  • finally a proper Space Marine !
  • why the hell this game doesn't have a offline coop is beyond me....
  • why , why this game doesn't have RPG-elements like DoW2 ??? It would have been perfect :(
  • very linear... it would have had more variety if the player could make few strategic choices.

8/10

Grisby

Holy shit if I was to take a whiskey shot every time someone said "Space Marine" in this game I'd be dead in 30 seconds.

Ahem.

Well, I rented and just finished this up over the week. This is Relic's first foray into the TPS genre yes? You can see it because the level design and enemy encounters all screamed cookie cutter. With that said, it's still a decent first outing and I found the action to be a lot of fun in places. Taking on what seemed to be 50 trolls or so was some good stuff and the controls themselves felt tight.

However, I liked and disliked the health mechanic. In a lot of later situations I would find myself low on health an having to foray out into the combat arena to try and get some more. This did add a interesting sense of urgency then your usual health pack deal. Still, I'd usually die because of the execution animations, which although awesome, took too long to complete and add the fact that your still getting hit during them lead to a lot of cursing at the game.

I found it hilarious that I was trying to use Titus's awful roll maneuver or taking pot shots from behind cover even though space marines don't use cover.

Still, I felt the game picked up in the middle before becoming a slog at the end. I kept playing because the universe really grabbed me. The orks are silly but combine that with the heavy religious zeal of the Ultramarines clashing so violently made for something pretty entertaining. The ending was a bit of a downer but I enjoyed a lot of it.

I just wanted to give my brief opion of the SP. I feel if Relic got another shot at this it could be something really special. As it is I'd give it a 7 or so. Some damn good fun and a pleasent rental. And it got me interested in Warhammer, something that I always dismissed before.

I just finsiheed the SP for this and I liked it overall. I felt stupid for not using the Fury mechanic sooner. I waited until Chapter 5 to really use it. I think I wasted 2 hours dying when I could have used it more often to save my life. I started saying "Space Marine" because I was hearing it so much from the Orks. They are the comic relief.

I agree that ending was a downer. I wasn't expecting that. I would love for Relic to make a sequel. It would be awesome. I really like the health mechanic. It really sets it apart from other TPS. Also, I really love the execution animations. This game is so brutal. Overall, I'll give it a 8/10.

I'm awaiting for OnLive to fix the multiplayer, which should be this month because I really want to play that.

Binabik15

Just finished SP. I'm Ciaphas Cain and I approve of this frakking game. The weight of the Marine, the clanking, the hailstorm of bolter rounds, the Orkz, argh, this was way too good. Really liked the gameplay, too.

THQ is dead to me if it doesn't get a sequel.

deim0s

How's the population on the PS3? At this time, game is always full on the 360. Thinking of picking this up on the PS3 as my main.

Jinaar

I believe he is referring too SM: Chaos Unleashed DLC.... I thought it was for this week. I hope it is for this week. If not... More DOWII:Last Stand it is then. Blargh!

Mr_eX

Started playing this last night and I'm enjoying it quite a bit even if it is just a giant hallway so far. Looks and runs great on PC too.

Jinaar

Hola! Best day ever! Going to get into my best underwear when I get home and sit my ass into my chair and get comfortable for a long night of chaotic overindulgence.

Jinaar

Impressions of the Update:

- Capture the Flag is amazingly fun with the set of classes in Space Marine. Running with the flag, passing Devastator Marines setting up their Heavy Bolters to provide you cover. Raw and exciting.

- Chaos Unleashed Exterminatus: With only a friend and myself, we managed to get to wave 10 out of 20, but the Ultramarines destroyed us :) It gets hectic and fast. 4 Chaos Marines would do better. It is scary to watch Chain Sword Ultramarines straft left and right, closing the distance to me, slamming their shoulder into my brain and then inserting said Chain Sword into that same location soon there after. Harsh!

Also, Psykers are in there too. Bastards!

- Balance side of things, net code felt more responsive. You start with one grenade now which is so welcomed, no more grenade spamming on spawn. I noticed as an Assault that when I do a melee attack, my 3rd person view pans out more so I can see more of my area around my location. Very welcome addition!

- Salamander skin, epic.

All in all a great DLC pack. Thanks Relic!

daedalius

Impressions of the Update:

- Capture the Flag is amazingly fun with the set of classes in Space Marine. Running with the flag, passing Devastator Marines setting up their Heavy Bolters to provide you cover. Raw and exciting.

- Chaos Unleashed Exterminatus: With only a friend and myself, we managed to get to wave 10 out of 20, but the Ultramarines destroyed us :) It gets hectic and fast. 4 Chaos Marines would do better. It is scary to watch Chain Sword Ultramarines straft left and right, closing the distance to me, slamming their shoulder into my brain and then inserting said Chain Sword into that same location soon there after. Harsh!

Also, Psykers are in there too. Bastards!

- Balance side of things, net code felt more responsive. You start with one grenade now which is so welcomed, no more grenade spamming on spawn. I noticed as an Assault that when I do a melee attack, my 3rd person view pans out more so I can see more of my area around my location. Very welcome addition!

- Salamander skin, epic.

All in all a great DLC pack. Thanks Relic!

Is there actually a boss wave in the Chaos Exterminatus? I remember reading that somewhere.

Jinaar

Is there actually a boss wave in the Chaos Exterminatus? I remember reading that somewhere.

Never got that far yet :) it may be on wave 15 or 20. Probably 20. It is great that the Imperial Forces will fight with Orcs all the while your Chaos badass self is killing them both ^_^

daedalius

I don't know, I wasn't terribly impressed with the wave of chaos at the end of the current exterminatus.

They are just giant, stupid punching bags; when a whole clip of stalker headshots won't kill them, its just dumb.

I guess it makes sense for the orks to be tough and dumb, but I expected more out of the Chaos Marines I guess.

Jinaar

Completing that wave of Chaos Space Marines and Bloodletters was exciting on many levels. I cannot complain about it at all.

Regardless, you will be more impressed by the Ultramarines in the Chaos Exterminatus mode.... they are vicious :) and they appear in different waves, like wave 5 and 9/10 I believe.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
What in the world.

Are people still playing on LIVE? Because...well, I'm tempted to start playing again, after I clear out some of my XBLA backlog.

Unity2012

Wow! I haven't played SM for a while and today I was very surprised to find a new DLC; several skin packs and a free capture the flag mode; plus:

scaled.php

From Playstation Lifestyle.net:

If you’re a Warhammer fan you’ll recognize the monstrous dreadnoughts Space Marines routinely employ to blow Ork and Chaos alike into smithereens, making it pretty clear the DLC will include dreadnoughts.
Just look at the size of that thing! How could you not want to jump into a giant mechanical beast seething with fury and an arsenal that could level a small country? Well, maybe if it comes in the form of an expensive DLC pack, but that is yet to be announced. Stay tuned to find out whether or not this will be downloadable for free, and what else it’ll entail.

Dammit Relic! I'm trying to play other games right now (well, I'm trying to re-play all of DoW2 with expansion packs/dlc to finally "finish" it).

Ah well.

FOR RUSS AND THE ALLFATHER!

Dead

well not really...yet
FYI, you can get this for $10 at Best Buy this week

The game is on sale for $29.99 and BBs @Gamer magazine has a $10 off coupon

Alphahawk

I just rented this game from a redbox, and I gotta say I'm less than impressed. The game does a horrible job at explaining where to go, also a lot of the battlefields are simply devoid of enemies. The game is at it's best when your in melee combat, but the game so far seems to focus mostly on gunplay. Also the universe is just not interesting to me, maybe that's just because I'm not use to the Warhammer universe though.

Also who puts the sprint button on the L3 button?

I'm fucking hooked, not sure why it took me so long to give the multiplayer a shot. Bought Chaos Unleashed and I will buy the fuck out of the next DLC.

I just rented this game from a redbox, and I gotta say I'm less than impressed. The game does a horrible job at explaining where to go, also a lot of the battlefields are simply devoid of enemies. The game is at it's best when your in melee combat, but the game so far seems to focus mostly on gunplay. Also the universe is just not interesting to me, maybe that's just because I'm not use to the Warhammer universe though.

Keep playing and you'll eventually see that you need to employ both ranged and melee combat. You're going to start dying pretty quickly if you don't get up close and use your executions. Obviously if you're finding that you're having too easy of a time just shooting the crap out of enemies, turn the difficulty up.

Aaron

Most games put sprint there actually. And you must be very early on, because the battles become flooded with orcs after only a short while. Or play the horde mode. That's an endless stream of enemies from start to your eventual death.

This game has an awful, awful start, but it does get much better. I feel sorry for the devs that making such a small mistake up front probably killed much of their potential sales.

Alphahawk

Ok so I'm on Chapter 6 right now, there are some good set piece battle where at times it feels like Dynasty Warriors, but yeah the game has some pacing problems. I'm in like the facility core thing and It just seems I'm walking from room to room, like there were literally two save points before I encountered another enemy.

Also what's the best way to deal with the big green orcs and the shielded red ones? Mostly I'm just furying them to death, but that can't be the only way, can it?.

derFeef

Ok so I'm on Chapter 6 right now, there are some good set piece battle where at times it feels like Dynasty Warriors, but yeah the game has some pacing problems. I'm in like the facility core thing and It just seems I'm walking from room to room, like there were literally two save points before I encountered another enemy.

Also what's the best way to deal with the big green orcs and the shielded red ones? Mostly I'm just furying them to death, but that can't be the only way, can it?.

Use your stun combos, they are very powerful and should at least knock the Ard boys from their feet so you can execute them. The Nobs might require a lot of bolter rounds before you can do that, though. Two or three stun combos should make them executable.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

I actually really liked the parts where you did nothing but walk and absorb the scenery. Within the Warhammer universe it really made me appreciate the gothic art inside the buildings.

Use plasma weapons against shields. Hold the fire button to load the weapon and unleash a giant ball of superheated plasma. Also sprint and stun the Orks with shields. that opens up a opportunity for you to shoot them.

Yeah, the game's pacing isn't too great but I do appreciate a lot of the quiet moments because Relic has always done such a fantastic job of realizing the WH40k universe and while the setting is unfortunately not very exotic, the architecture is a hugely important part of it all and it was really great to get a chance to appreciate it.

There are too many moments where you're just walking through a corridor to get to the next open space for a battle, but thankfully those corridors are wonderfully designed most of the time, as opposed to most other linear games.

I know they said they won't do another Space Marine, but I sincerely hope Relic's not done with action games like this. An Eldar game would be sweet, or they could try another Tau game. I don't know what the sales figures have been like since release but I'd like to think that this game either met or exceeded expectations a bit more and they'd be more open to experimentation and expanding for the sequel. Making the campaign focused on a specific race/unit type is totally cool but it would be amazing if the multiplayer threw in a few other factions besides just Space Marines and Chaos.

Unity2012

I hope they continue to add more content to the MP and SP! The MP in this game is plane fun. Fast and Fun!
There are so many factions and background to this Universe. I hope Relic presses forward and does not let go of the franchise. There are still a good amount of people playing.

Alphahawk

I love the fact that when you go into Fury mode you hear an announcer say "show them your might" or something to that effect. It's so out of place but awesome at the same time....

Apdiddy

I started this recently and I'm loving SP so far (thanks to the $10 deal at Best Buy this week w/ @Gamer coupon). Yes, it feels like Gears of War without the cover system but Captain Titus is so much smarter. He's like Liam Neeson with a gun (which may be a put-down for Warhammer 40K fans, sorry about that).

Top Bottom