• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

Guanoape

Neo Member
daedalius said:
I wonder if having Campaign coop/splitscreen and this mode right at launch would have improved their sales considerably? I'll bet quite a few people gave it a pass since it didn't have any coop functionality at launch.

Campaign coop would have been a good selling point, but I don't think Exterminatus alone would have convinced people to buy the game. Especially considering the lack of variety in maps and game modes.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Does it come with more achievements? I'm halfway to level 40 right now...I really can't help but feel like Exterminatus is now a day late and a dollar short.

There are no new achievements as far as I know. I did finish a few SP achievements in Exterminatus though.

Narag

derFeef said:
We were all lower than level 10 I think and only three guys, so maybe that counts.

Thinking some of the later higher level perks are needed to progress especially stuff like increased armor. I'm thinking it's like Last Stand in DoW II where you're not expected to clear it without better gear/perks/whatever.

Svartnatt

Gave Exterminatus a go yesterday, played 1 game. Running a level 37, and decided to go with the plasma cannon for good crowd control. Played with 3 randoms, all of them level 30+. One of them was an Assault with hammer, another Devastator with heavy bolter, and for the life of me can't remember what the last was. Here's a few bullet points on our game:

- Didn't have too much trouble up until around level 18 or 19, where we all bought it because we couldn't cap points in time. Didn't check time before we started, but probably took us maybe an hour to get to that point.

- Orks soak up more damage than they do in the campaign, especially the tougher ones.

- Our mix of weaponry served us pretty well. Plasma cannon for taking out huge throngs, heavy bolter for long distance precision kills and thinning the ranks, and hammer for close up work.

- Earned good chunks of xp in one run, probably close to 10,000 for the session. Good way to grind up to level 41.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Pretty fun, and a welcome change from regular MP.

oktarb

Svartnatt said:
- Didn't have too much trouble up until around level 18 or 19, where we all bought it because we couldn't cap points in time. Didn't check time before we started, but probably took us maybe an hour to get to that point.

This part seriously worries me. I can't stand pressure via timed mechanics. Horde is about surviving not about do things in time or you lose.

Svartnatt

Tacitus_ said:
You gotta be leveled up in order to be good in it? Aww shit, I haven't even touched the multi in expectation of Exterminatus.

Being leveled up helps a little in that you have unlocked class and weapon perks to choose from, but a level 1 using a plasma cannon is gonna do the same damage as a level 41 using a plasma cannon.

I'd say having a balanced team is just as important, if not more so, than being high level. A squad of four level 41 Assaults is not going to get very far, while a mixed group of low levels would probably get a lot farther.

oktarb said:
This part seriously worries me. I can't stand pressure via timed mechanics. Horde is about surviving not about do things in time or you lose.
That and it makes it less likely to actually survive or complete a wave with less than a full squad.

Gears 3's Beast mode has this same problem.

Played a fair bit of this last night. Apart from running around without ammo for quite a bit, it was intense! Definitely put Space Marine back to the top of my current play list. Mainly played with randoms so far. One group of us made it to level 13 before being swamped.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ok some impressions:

Besides only having 2 levels (4 arenas each) i'm loving this. Absolute blast to play, suprisingly even with randoms, as long as you all have a decent spread of classes or you have one or two extremely talented whatevers on your crew. Jumped into a game with 3 random people yesterday and managed to beat the first (whole) mission after .. i dunno .. .maybe an hour and a half? 2 hours? multiple deaths and a lot of learning where the waves come from and when to expect a fucking squig wave ... but other than that it feels like a perfect translation from the single player game.
I was pleasantly suprised at how well the skills i picked up from VS translated into exterminatus. Knowing how/when to jump or leap as an assault marine (my class of choice) really REALLY made me an assett on my team (saving lives, distracting mobs, MURDERING whole crowds and hunting heavy armor especially). I take the hammer with me, air cooled thrusters and true grit. No need for the one hit kill as these orks are just so mushy.. but sometimes it would be nice to put down the knobs a little faster. All the perks seem to have a good chance at remaining usefull in both game types.

I managed to solo to the fourth wave before it turned into simply running away the whole time. Got to about 15-16 with 2 of my good friends that are both warhammer freaks... but i think to truly stomp all the waves and come out like space marines on the other side you HAVE to have 4 people... and everyone has to pull their weight. Exactly as it should be.

Emperor Protect! (and good christ do i hate 'ArdBoyz with a new passion now... sooooo many!)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
daedalius said:
I wonder if having Campaign coop/splitscreen and this mode right at launch would have improved their sales considerably? I'll bet quite a few people gave it a pass since it didn't have any coop functionality at launch.
I still don't understand why the campaign wasn't centered around a 4 man squad like the original trailers indicated. That's what I wanted the game for in the first place.

daedalius

thetrin said:
I still don't understand why the campaign wasn't centered around a 4 man squad like the original trailers indicated. That's what I wanted the game for in the first place.

Not sure. I think if they had of done that, with some light RPG elements (ala their other game, Dawn of War 2), it would have stood out from the pack of shooters a bit more than it did.

El'Kharn

bigdaddygamebot said:
It's available...sortof.

The update is there and you can go into XBL and download it...except it's at a little over 4 billion XBL points. So here's hoping it unlocks at 12:01 AM?
I wonder how much it would cost for 4 bil worth......

El'Kharn said:
Yay! downloading exterminatus now!!

Where is it? Is it in the marketplace as DLC?

EDIT: Oh, you have boot up the game and apply a 16 MB patch. Then go into Xbox Live and Choose Exterminatus and download the DLC in game.

daedalius

Reluctant-Hero said:
Where is it? Is it in the marketplace as DLC?

EDIT: Oh, you have boot up the game and apply a 16 MB patch. Then go into Xbox Live and Choose Exterminatus and download the DLC in game.

Finally, will be starting my download at lunch.

Unity2012

Well, the wait is over and it was worthy. It is FREE and is FUN.

You can download the Exterminatus DLC out of the Add ons on the Xbox Live Games Market section and then apply the patch once you boot up the game... or viceversa.

This new mode offers two choices out of the Xbox Live tab within the game:

Exterminatus: Online Co-op Match with other players
Exterminatus Private: Private Co-op match with your friends.

On the second option one can play solo as well; but i must tell you, it is freaggin Hard!

There are "Time Challenges" in every round; things like, "3 consecutive headshots within the first 23 seconds," and baam! if you do it, you will be rewarded.

I haven't played against other players on Live yet but will do later today.

The maps look great and the waves of Orcs never get old. Just plain fun.

my two cents.

Mupod

bigdaddygamebot said:
Can someone confirm if weapon and armour challenges are able to be completed in Exterminatus or is that a competitive multi-thing only?

They weren't when I played it, but that was the day it came out and I haven't touched it since.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I don't see what's exciting about joining a game on the 4th level of a map, noticing everyone is a Devastator after you've chosen Devastator, and having to wait until you get the game over screen in 10 minutes to adjust your play style.

El'Kharn

Lyphen said:
I don't see what's exciting about joining a game on the 4th level of a map, noticing everyone is a Devastator after you've chosen Devastator, and having to wait until you get the game over screen in 10 minutes to adjust your play style.

Play with friends?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Unfortunately my friends have better taste in games than I do and wouldn't be caught dead playing a trainwreck such as this.

daedalius

So....
the DLC coming out lets you play as Chaos in Exterminatus.

Adds 3 more multiplayer maps.

AND adds a CTF game mode!

December though... hopefully there will be enough people around to enjoy these things!

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. Nov 2, 2011 – THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced details of the first downloadable content pack for Warhammer® 40,000®: Space Marine® scheduled to release for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Playstation®3 computer entertainment system, and Windows PC in December.

The premium add-on pack, which has a suggested cost of 800 Microsoft Points / $9.99, will include a new Exterminatus mode called Chaos Unleashed. In this update to the popular co-op mode players will take on the role of Chaos Space Marine as they take the fight to both the Ork horde and Imperial Guard forces. With brand new boss rounds, new co-op arenas and new enemy units like the Imperial Sanctioned Psyker this mode is a must-have for players looking for a new challenge.

As well as the Chaos Unleashed Mode, the Space Marine add-on pack also includes three new multiplayer maps Habs Ablaze, Station Tertius and Aquila Canyon which can be played in all multiplayer game modes. The pack will also include ten new achievements and trophies.

In addition to the premium add-on content all players of Space Marine will receive a new multiplayer Capture the Flag Mode for free. Playable on all the game’s multiplayer maps, this team based mode challenges players to defend their flag while attempting the capture their opponent’s.

Jim Huntley, Vice President of Global Brand Management commented,

“Space Marine offers a robust multiplayer experience out of the box but the addition of new maps, modes and challenges should keep the community playing for months to come.”

Alongside this add-on content THQ will be releasing a number of new player skins for sale on the Xbox LIVE® online entertainment network, Playstation® Network and STEAM. Players will be able to purchase unique Salamanders, Alpha Legion, Legion of the Damned and Blood Angel skin packs for a suggested price of 240 Microsoft Points / $2.99 each.

The Space Marine add-on pack is scheduled to be available to purchase on Xbox 360, Playstation®3 and Windows PC in December.

Mupod

Boss rounds and Imperial Guard to fight? I think I'll be getting that.

Salamander skin will make a lot of people happy at least.

Jinaar

People need to buy this just for EXTERMINATUS. Holy space marines this mode is what this game was made for. Had a riot playing EXTERMINATUS for the first time last night finally. A literal riot! My room is trashed now.

aggravated that sales were so good but they don't seem thrilled about the idea of making a sequel. and on top of it there isn't any SP DLC. at least nothing yet. what is it with devs this gen?

game bombs: burn money making a sequel that also bombs and point the finger at someone else.

game does well: talk about how profits weren't THAT good or how it only broke even and then proceed to split the team up to work on other things that will bomb. cycle repeats.

Jinaar

With proper STEAM sales going forward and additional Console DLC packs (like the new one that was just announced), that 1.2 million sold(was it sold, because I cannot verify Joystuck at work) can just start to increase across the board (hopefully), which can then equate into a sequel.

The game is just so damn good now with Exterminatus involved. You really feel like a space marine squad. What it just needs are mini boss like characters, every 5 waves (Sounds like the Chaos portion has that with Boss Rounds) and it will fly.

I mean I could play this game indefinitely if they just add the other Xenos races to murder :) in Exterminatus. Give me wave after wave of Tyranids and I'll love you forever, Relic!

daedalius

BattleMonkey said:
Well across 3 platforms and they did seem to spend a good amount on marketing as commercials on tv were running weeks before release. They probably expected more out of the game.

More than a bit over a million sales for a NEW SHOOTER FRANCHISE seems completely unrealistic, not even mentioning the fact GoW3 came out 2 weeks later, and this holiday season is absolutely packed with good games as well.

I really hope they bring a sequel and learn a bit from their first game.
The singleplayer was good, but missed some things that I hope make it into the sequel.

The Multiplayer is already so good, just make a few tweaks, add Exterminatus day 1 and call it a day for the sequel :D

daedalius said:
More than a bit over a million sales for a NEW SHOOTER FRANCHISE seems completely unrealistic, not even mentioning the fact GoW3 came out 2 weeks later, and this holiday season is absolutely packed with good games as well.

It's unrealistic, but it's all relative to how much money they put into the game. They probably expected more out of it if they are not going to move forward with a sequel. It's a decent start but unless they are big hits, lot of game sequels tend to not do as well as the original, for further success they likely wanted a bigger starting foothold.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Lyphen said:

Simple. Don't choose devestator because everyone else will.
And even 4 Devs should be no problem, you can handle most of the stuff. And there are at least 2 different kinds of devestators. Plasmas who move around a lot, Heavy Bolters who are stationary. Then there are people with a lot of shields, or faster setup time, or heavy stomps... There is a lot of variety even when playing with 4 devs.
Really it seems to me you just don't want this game to work. I have played with friends and randoms, with noobs and level 41 players alike, and it always was a blast.

I love the balancing in Multiplayer, I love the Extermitanus mode, as the waves are always fair (at least to wave 18).
And now with added CTF (hopefully free, you hear me Relic???EDIT: Oh fuck, just read that it will be 10$ fuck. Damnit. Go the Valve way, not the devils... ) this game will have even better Multiplayer. People didn'T give this one a chance because it was plagued with server issues in the beginning, and bad connection to other players. But right now, it's one of my favorite online shooters. There is just so much you can do. And with friends it only gets better. (Teleport Homer + Rapid Deployment anyone ;))

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Don't want it to work? No no no. The game isn't working. It is missing simple fundamental options. Yes, many Devastator playstyles, and like I mentioned, you're stuck with your first choice. What I have to do now with randoms is hope they walk across the spawn camera shot so I can see their equipment and choose accordingly.

I want it to work. I'm jumping through hoops and swimming through poor design to make it work.

Jinaar

It works fineeeee. Last night out of all the groups the only other Devastator besides my Cannon Strapped ass was a Heavy Bolter one. The rest were always Tact or Assault. Bad luck you get done gud.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Lyphen said:
Don't want it to work? No no no. The game isn't working. It is missing simple fundamental options. Yes, many Devastator playstyles, and like I mentioned, you're stuck with your first choice. What I have to do now with randoms is hope they walk across the spawn camera shot so I can see their equipment and choose accordingly.

I want it to work. I'm jumping through hoops and swimming through poor design to make it work.

I wouldn't disagree, that having an option to see what your teammates chose would be preferable as to the way it works right now. But to me it seems you have far more gripes with the game than that.

Got to play Exterminatus for the first time last night. Me and a buddy tried it out, and died, and died, and died, and died.

I kept trying to get executions, but that didn't seem to work, nor can you use your battle rage ability from single player. That means health is at a premium, and when you've got 10+ orcs with bolters tearing into you with withering fire from across the map its next to impossible for two people to consider taking and holding objectives on a time limit.

Very disappointed. Seems like you need a full group of four with some perks or unlocks to stand a chance.

Unless I'm missing something. Is anybody able to get far into Exterminatus with less than four players? For my attempt last night it was me, at 3rd level and a friend at 5th level. We got smoked in the third wave every time.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid question because I haven't been paying attention, but have they even released the 4 player co-op that was promised back in EARLY October yet?

Vilix said:
Stupid question because I haven't been paying attention, but have they even released the 4 player co-op that was promised back in EARLY October yet?
Quote above yours is about exactly that - Exterminatus, the free 4 player horde mode DLC.

Drek

Anyone on PS3 have an idea how the community is holding up?

I played it for a while after release but have moved on to the holiday barrage of single player games. Wondering if it is reasonable to expect the community to still be of worthwhile size come early next year.

Maybe I'll just grab it on Steam though. I'm sure it'll get a good discount come the big holiday bonanza. I'd assume the PC community is way stronger for this, and I might even get the pay DLC cheaper too.

Top Bottom